~Chapter 2~

At the end of the rainbow 🌈

3rd POV


Bus 33 was not as packed today, Sua observed with relief. She found an empty double seat by the window. She slowly eased into her seat, then the bus started moving. 

Curious, Sua looked around to see if she could spot the maroon-suit woman she met yesterday. Unfortunately, none of the faces on the bus she could recognise. She shrugged it off. The woman may have taken an earlier bus. 

A school bus filled with toddlers catches Sua's eyes. She observes their interactions with one another. She easily imagined giggles between sentences and gummy smiles. She was sure her daughter would find herself in the same situation. 

'I actually haven't thought of a name for my darling...' Sua realised, a little saddened. Maybe Minseo? No, she had a cousin with that name. Maybe she'll use her mother's name, Eunjung? 

At the thought of her parents, a sombre feeling takes over her mood. It's been almost half a year since she last saw them - 4 months to be exact. She would be lying if she said she didn't miss them. She missed the homemade food, the mountain trails, and laughter-filled conversations they had every night. It all had to change when... 

Sua snapped out of her thoughts when she felt a presence next to her. She slowly turned her head to the right. It was the woman from yesterday! But in a midnight blue suit today. 

"Oh! Hello." The woman bows with her head, greeting Sua a little breathlessly.

"Hello," Sua replies, before expressing her amusement over the woman's slight panting. "Did you run to catch the bus?" 

"Yeah." The woman replies with an sheepish smile, and Sua chuckles in reply, before getting distracted by her phone buzzing repeatedly in her hands. 

Seeing the woman closer up made Sua realise how...beautiful she was. Sharp nose. V-shape face. Her wide cheekbones that extended charmingly into a smile. Caring yet sharp eyes, like a wolf, Sua thought to herself. 

She made sure she didn't get caught staring too long but girl, were her eyes attractive. 

'Okay stop," Sua warns herself frantically, opening her phone to distract herself. 'Thoughts calm down...' 

Jonghyun had texted in their group chat. 

Sergeant Jong: 

-Good morning everyone, I have some news. We will be closing at 4pm instead of 7pm today because of an electrical issue in one of the study rooms. A team of electricians will drop by then, hence the library is required to be empty.- 

mindungie🍭:

-assa! yeri & i can get tonkatsu!- 

geonwoo: 

-Oof, is it a major problem?- 

Seulbear🧸: 

-I hope the fixing is succesful ㅠㅠㅠ.- 

hyejoo~🙄: 

-all the best-

hongie: 

-Oh my...I hope it's fixed soon.- 

queen👑:

-Hopefully there isn't much damage ㅠㅠ 

yerimie🍬: 

-assa~ minjeong let's gooo- 

mindungie🍭:: 

-yea!- 

Sua shook her head at Yeri's & Winter's replies. In the middle of a crisis they will be the indifferent ones. 

Sergeant Jong: 

-It is a minor issue, please do not worry.- 

With that last message, Sua was very much relieved. It would be a huge financial burden if there were any major issues. 

As the bus was nearing their stop, Sua wanted to ask the woman for her name but the woman was busy typing emails on her tablet so she held back her question. Maybe when they got off the bus. 

But that chance was lost too because the moment the bus doors opened, the woman dashed out of her seat as if her were on fire. 

Sua exited the bus confused. She could only see her tall figure running towards a building, her blazer flying with the wind behind her. 'She must be busy..' Sua concluded. 

In the library, Sua is met with a chaotic sight. What a way to start her morning. Winter was chasing Geonwoo for some reason while Seulgi & Yeri were bantering like siblings. Hongseok & Jonghyun were nowhere to be found, probably cleaning out the damaged study room. Hyejoo was filming Winter & Geonwoo with her phone, commenting as if it were an olympic chase. 

Sua pinched her nose in disbelief. 'At this point I'll have grey hairs at the age of 30.' She murmurs to herself.

Hyejoo, who was walking up to her, heard it and burst out laughing. 

"I'm sure they'll appear sooner grandma." 

"Yah! What did you-" Sua caught herself, raising her hand to land a slap on Hyejoo's shoulder. 

Hyejoo ignores the hit, continuing to laugh at her maniacally. 

'What kind of food does this child eat..' Sua flicks Hyejoo's forehead with strength and gave her a death glare.

"Ow.." Hyejoo rubs the sore spot, before apologising. 

"Sua-noona, save meeee!" Geonwoo shrieks like a girl when Winter narrowly grabs his shirt. 

"Give it back to me!" Winter's mouth was set into a determined line, which made her cheeks scrunch up adorably. Especially the dimple on her left cheek. 

"It's mine!" Geonwoo replies firmly, but Sua manages to catch him by the collar before he can run off. 

Winter closes the gap and successfully takes the music box out of Geonwoo's hands. She holds it close to her chest as if it was the most precious item in the world.

"Geonwoo, does it belong to you?" Sua begins her interrogation with a stern tone. Hyejoo takes the opportunity to slip away. 

Geonwoo knows he can joke around anymore. "I- uh...no it's not mine. It's Winter's." Winter nods along, smugly looking down at him even though he was 9cm taller. 

"So why did you try to take something that's not yours?" Sua twists his ear 'lightly', "Hm?! Hm??" She prompts when Geonwoo only lowered his gaze. 

"I broke mine so I wanted to steal hers." Geonwoo admitted after a while. His face, neck, ears were all red, so it's true. Sua knew he was embarrassed to admit it, inwardly laughing at his composure. 

"Hey! That's not fair!" Winter protests, pouting like a baby. 

"She's right. Geonwoo, apologise to her now." Sua releases his ear, pushing his shoulders so his body faces Winter. 

"Sorry." Winter huffed in annoyance. She flips her hair behind her shoulder, strutting off with sass. Sua is amused by Geonwoo's ashamed expression. 

"Yah! Are you still 5 years old? Why did you do such an immature thing?" She scolds, his head only bending deeper. Sua softens. 

"Your birthday is coming up in a couple days right? I'll buy you a new one." Sua ruffles his dark hair affectionately, causing him to look up. 

"Really?" His eyes glowing in excitement, Sua nods seriously.

"Behave well alright?" 

"Okay!" Geonwoo salutes her then sprints away.

Seulri had stopped bantering, but the tension was still there. Sua 'tsked' at them as they glared at one another. Deep down she knew they loved each other, and they'd forgive each other eventually. 

She pulled Seulgi away even if the bear tried to resist. Sua's pinch on her shoulder told Seulgi that she better listen. 

"What's with everyone waking up on the wrong side of the bed today? We're supposed to have a short & sweet day together! Why all the quarrels?" Sua questions Seulgi in a disappointed tone. 

Seulgi immediately gives her a look of defence. 

"I didn't wake up on the wrong side of my bed....that brat had to insult me about my new hair," Seulgi lifts her wavy chestnut strands. "She said I look like a girl from a high-teen movie...as if she doesn't know I'm an adult." Seugi rolls her eyes. 

Sua laughed unapologetically at Seulgi's explanation, understanding Yeri's perspective. 

Seulgi realised this and shoved Sua's shoulder lightly. "You're supposed to be on my side, Bora!" The use of her real name showed that Seulgi was pretty upset about it. 

"Your hair is gorgeous Seulgi, don't fret, I'm sure Joohyun-eonnie will love it too." 

The bear's eyes widened in shock. "H-how do you know a-about Joohyun and I?" Seulgi asks. 

"Aha, don't forget that I caught you two having a lovely tea chat last week, after our meeting with the municipality." Sua smirks as Seulgi's face turns red. She didn't meet her eyes.

"Ple-please keep it a secret...we don't want anyone to know about us." Seulgi expresses her worry. Sua assures her dear friend that she will not tell a soul. 

True to her initial assumption, Jonghyun and Hongseok were clearing out the damaged study room, carefully removing all the furniture. But the static electricity they both experienced was so strong that their hair stood up like pricks in a cactus. 

"HAHAHA that's hilarious!" The maknaes burst into uncontrollable laughter when the two came back. 

Sua and Seulgi stifled theirs, even if it was extremely hard to do so. The amount of hairs that were spiking upwards made it seem like they had gotten electrocuted. They were only lacking a disheveled look. 

"Quieten down!" Jonghyun orders, and everyone is poker-faced again. "It's time to get to work. We close at 4pm sharp, understood?" 

"Yes!" We all shout in unison. Jonghyun nods in satisfaction at our response before retreating to his office. 

:

The last of the visitors were exiting the library. The younger ones were returning carts, while Jonghyun was meeting the electricians downstairs. 

The whole team, well except Winter and Yeri, offered to stay and be on standby but Jonghyun forced them out in a fatherly-way, telling them to enjoy the rest of the day out in the sun. 

"Sua-ya, do you want a ride home?" Hongseok asked her. Seulgi had left first as she had to meet Joohyun. 

"No, it's alright Hongie, I want to buy some stuff at the stationary store." Sua replies with a light shake of her head. 

She was running out of post-its. Those bright, neon squares were what kept her mind organized throughout her day. 

"Alright. I'll see you tomorrow then! Take care." 

"You too!" Sua takes her time down the stairs, wondering if she should check out the Tech Company down the street. It didn't hurt to check it out right? 

'Just from the outside...like a normal passerby.' Sua mentally tells herself as she gets closer to the buildings.

"Woah..." The word naturally slipped out of . 

The building screamed futuristic. There were rows of multi-coloured LED lights that made out the sign 'MinTech'. Sua thought the company's name was pretty cute. 

The doors to the entrance were rotating glass ones, those you see more of in the city. There were even those security checks in the lobby. The kind that could be found in airports. 

Sua gasped just by examining the lobby. It held a generous space; past the security check was a lounge area, with potted-plants dotted around each bench. Lit-up circles were spotted at the sides of each bench, holding 3-USB ports for charging. Sua wanted that next to her bed. 

'Awesome...' She was just in pure awe. She turns back around to walk towards the bus stop. 

Her stomach grumbles, Sua pats it with a wince because she didn't have any food on her. She decides to buy a roll of gimbal from a nearby vendor. Her hunger reduces.

'Aw .' Sua rarely cursed, but in times she did, she was having a crisis of her own. 'I forgot to buy groceries yesterday...' 

She contemplates on shopping now or going home first...but she did have a reusable bag on her and she didn't need much. The decision was the clear. 

Near the bus stop was the stationary shop, so she quickly makes a purchase of post-its, securely storing them in her stationery case. 

In the Supermarket, she heads directly to the section of her guilty pleasure(s).

'Yes! Chicken skewers are available today!' Sua bounces with her heels, grabbing two bags from the freezer section. 

Sua can get carried away at a department store, but also at a grocery store. But when she became pregnant her self-control game shot up. 

'Nooooo....' Sua mentally complains as she sees the instant noodle packs on sale. It is one of her favourite foods...but it wasn't good for her or her baby.

Sua entered the aisle with cereal, looking for her beloved chocoball cereal. 

Sadly it was kind of high up...Sua wondered if she could ask for help but she decided to try for herself. She jumped from her heels slightly, successfully grabbing a box. An expression of triumph washed over her face. 

Though what she didn't expect was a wave of dizziness to hit her right after she placed the box of cereal in her cart. 

Her arms droop to her sides, her bag sliding off and landing on the floor with a thud. She was suddenly losing consciousness. Her vision was blurry and she could barely make out the shape of the cart handle. It looked wavy and flimsy in her eyes. 

Sua blinked helplessly, no control over what her body was doing next. 

She staggered in her spot, leaning back...back...and...

'Oof!' A woman was lightning-fast to catch Sua before her head could hit the ground. But Sua was gone, passed out in her arms. "Miss? Miss?" The woman frantically questions, panicking more when no response was received. 

"." The woman cursed to herself, whipping out her phone to find the nearest clinic. From where they were, a hospital was miles away. 

"Good...there's one right around the corner." The woman mumbles. 

The woman grabbed Sua's dropped belongings in the same arm as her briefcase, carrying Sua with caution. She prayed to god that the baby was alright too. 

"You'll be alright." The woman told Sua, but it felt more like she was trying to assure herself. 

A staff was fortunately walking by so the woman informed her of the situation. The staff ushered her and Sua safely out of the supermarket. 

"I hope she'll be alright." The staff wished for her. 

The woman nods, before walking briskly towards the clinic. Passerbys’ stared at her in both shock and concern. The woman ignored it all, focused on her task.

Fortunately once again, the clinic was not busy. Nurses immediately assisted Sua while the woman translated what she saw at the supermarket in a surprisingly calm manner. The head nurse realised then that the woman was not her partner. 

"Thank you for the information, we will immediately do a vital check on her." The nurses go ahead to do the check-up. The woman nods stiffly, leaning against the wall to catch her breath. 

She adjusted the buttons on her suit, the memory of the pregnant woman falling replaying over and over again in her hand. She swore her heart sprang out of her chest in fear when she witnessed that. 

Her tablet was continuously buzzing with emails against her thigh but she couldn't care less. She had to know if the lady was fine, and find a way to calm her racing mind. 

She placed both their belongings on the bench and closed her eyes shut to focus on her breathing. Minutes later, a nurse came out with a neutral expression, the woman observed. She looked on hopefully. 

"I am glad to report that they are both safe and not injured." The suited woman clamps a hand over her heart in relief, exhaling proudly. "She will wake up shortly." 

"I would assume that you aren't family?" The nurse returned to her desk, typing away in her computer. 

"I am not." The woman replied, but realised that Sua would have her ID in her wallet. "But I have her purse so you can have her ID." 

"Yes, that would be great." The nurse says, taking the ID from the woman, who took the opportunity to catch her name in that second. 

'Kim Bora.' The woman read in her head. She also saw that she was two years older. 

"I've found her in the system, but no family numbers are listed in her record...huh.." The nurse confusedly mumbles to herself. 

The woman is alarmed at that revelation. But then she remembers that she had seen Bora enter the library close to her workplace that morning of their first meeting. She might work there! 

"It is unsafe for her to go back home alone for the next few days. Will you be helping her?" The nurse questions seriously, even though she knew the answer. 

The woman scratched her neck nervously. "Only for today...but I think I know where she works so I will call them and hopefully her colleagues are there." 

"Good, take your time. I'll keep a check on her condition." The nurse replies, before returning to Bora's room with a clipboard in hand. 

The woman searches for the name of the library, quickly finding it with her tablet. She taps on the given contact number. 

-Hello?- A male voice picks up. 

-Hello, is this ChungMyung Library?- 

-Yes, how may I help you today?- 

-May I ask if Kim Bora works in this library?-

The line went silent, and the woman knew they were hesitant to say anything because she was a total stranger to them. 

-Yes...why would you like to know?- He sounded suspicious. 

-She passed out while shopping so I brought her to the nearest clinic. They did a check up on her and she is fine now.- 

There was a long pause on the other end.

-The only issue is that there were no emergency contacts listed in her record and the nurse wouldn't release her till someone is available to take care of her.- 

-Understood, thank you so much for your help. Which clinic is it?-  

-MoonClinic.-

The suited woman asks one of the nurses if she could see Bora after informing them that her colleagues were on the way. She was too caught up in herself to do it earlier. She also took the opportunity to place Bora's bag in her room. 

"Here," the nurse opens the door. The suited woman bites her inner lip seeing Bora lying peacefully on the bed. She prays for them again in her head. 

"I would like to pay the medical fees." The woman told the nurse at the front desk. Her sharp eyes showed no room for argument, her credit card already in her hand. "Don't tell her I did." 

"Alright." The nurse had to comply, swiping her credit card with a beep. 

The suited woman checked her watch. She still had 45mins to her next meeting. 

"Here's your receipt, have a nice day." 

The whole team rushes into the small clinic, startling some of the other waiting patients.

"Hello, we are the friends of Kim Bora, where is she?" Jonghyun introduces them at the front counter.

"Is my eonnie okay?" Hyejoo's head popped up behind Geonwoo's shoulder. 

Jonghyun's eyes darted around the few people in the waiting room. He couldn't find someone that matched the voice of the call...there were only uncles in their 60s... 

Seulgi, Winter & Yeri couldn't make it, but were spamming messages in the group chat for updates. 

"Ah not to worry guys, she's completely stable. She's in Room 12, here I'll bring you guys there." The nurse stood up to bring them to Sua. 

"Is she awake?" 

"In a couple minutes." The nurse replied curtly. 

Sua's POV 

"Argh..." I open my eyes, feeling groggy. My eyes twitch as they adjust to the sudden movement.

When my vision was clear, the first thing I saw was 4 pairs of eyes on me. All familiar, luckily.

"Sua-noona! You're alive!" Geonwoo hugged her arm tightly. Hyejoo grabbed her other arm with muffled whimpers.

"Wh-what?" I was really confused as to where I was and why they were here. "Where am I?" 

"You're in a clinic. The woman who brought you here said you passed out in the supermarket." Jonghyun informs me with a soft tone. I could see the relief in his eyes. 

Hongseok ruffles my hair neatly. "You scared the hell out of me Bora. I'll inform the rest of the team now." 

Then it hit me. I was in the cereal aisle, picking a box when I got dizzy..? I must have passed out then...a teary-eyed Hyejoo broke me from my thoughts. I lifted her up to hug her shoulder. 

"Don't worry Hyejoo-ah...eonnie's okay." I assure her, rubbing the back of her head soothingly. 

Geonwoo, Hongseok & Jonghyun were then briefed by the nurse, while I video called the other three girls who were mirroring Hyejoo's expression. 

"Guys I'm really okay, I don't feel pain or anything. My child's fine too." I tried to assure them, but Yeri & Winter, who were together, jokingly shedding tears which had my mouth set in a thin line. 

"Aish Sua..please be careful!" Seulgi reprimanded me, and I smiled at her. 

"Yes I will, sorry for giving you all a heart attack." 

We exchanged a couple more words of love before hanging up. Hyejoo remains by my side as the nurse informs me further on my current condition. 

"You were really lucky she was there to save you." The nurse says, ticking off some stuff on her clipboard. 

Made me wonder who it was that saved me...I must return them the favour. "Do you know who the woman is by any chance?" I question. 

The nurse shook her head. "She was in a rush but did call your colleagues here..." A sudden look of hesitation crossed her face. I raise a brow. "She paid for your medical fees too." 

"WHAT?" I shouted accidentally. 

"What happened??" Geonwoo runs over. 

"Nothing, she was just surprised." The nurse answered for me. 

'Who could she be..?' Was all I could think about now. 

"Do you not have any information of her?" I could feel Hyejoo's and Geonwoo's curious eyes trained on me.

"Sorry, no." The nurse replies, before excusing herself with a bow. 

"Hm.." I mumbled to myself. "Who could it be?" 

"Are you referring to the lady that saved you?" Geonwoo asks. 

"Yes...I wonder who she is. She paid for my fees so I will have to find her and thank her." Hyejoo smiles knowingly at me.

"We won't be able to stop you so we might as well help you...how did she know to call us though?" Geonwoo questioned thoughtfully. 

"Maybe she saw eonnie before." Hyejoo shrugged. 

Hyejoo's words made me freak out a little...could it be the suit woman that works at the tech company? 

But then why would she be at a supermarket? After all, it was still a weekday...and what a coincidence that would be... 

Part of me was convinced and part of me wasn't. 

"Maybe we could ask the nurse for her appearance." Geonwoo suggests, and Hyejoo reacts enthusiastically.

"No worries," I dismissed his suggestion. "They're getting busy, I shouldn't disturb them about this."

"Then how will you ever find her?" Hyejoo asks sceptically. 

"I'll find a way." 

-Safe at home-

Sua had her legs propped up on the coffee table as she enjoyed her cinnamon roll given by Hongseok. As expected, he knew her well. 

"We'll be keeping an eye on you!" They told her when they had arrived at her flat. 

Sua hid her embarrassment with a laugh. 

'They're so precious...' Sua mumbles to herself, eyes skittering aimlessly over the sappy rom-com that was on. 

She picks up her bag from the coffee table for her passion fruit lip balm. As she dug deeper to look for the small tube, her fingers caught a loose post-it. 

Sua's brows knitted together. She carefully picked it up and held it up to the light. 

[+82 11 3895 0722] was written in a clear & elegant form. 

Sua gasped to herself. Was this the number of her saviour? 

She immediately picked up her phone and pulled up the dial pad. But as she looked at the time, 8.16pm, she wondered if it was too late to call. She may be on a plane right now for all she knows... 

'Let's just try it, if she doesn't pick up then we'll try tomorrow.' Sua decides finally. 

"Brr - Brr" The phone remained buzzing in her hand. 

'She's probably unavailable-' 

-Hello?- Her voice came through, and Sua's eyes widened. It was indeed, the suited woman.

-Hello?- Her tone became confused when no reply was given by Sua. 

-Ah, Sorry, hi there!- She replied, slightly flustered.

-May I ask who this is?- She questions. 

-I'm Kim Bora...you helped me get to the clinic today..-

Silence. 

-I see yes..uh are you safe at home now?- Pure concern brimmed her tone which touched Sua. 

-Yes I am, I would like to thank you so much for bringing me help and paying for my fees, you really didn't have to!- 

-Don't worry, I was just trying to help you as best I could.- 

-Please let me repay you somehow, this is something I can't let go of without returning the favour.-

Silence again. This time a little longer, which made Sua just a little nervous.

-Go on a date with me.- She suggested casually. 

Sua nearly dropped her phone. What was she trying to say...? 

It seemed that the content of her words had also caught up to her so Sua could practically hear her scrambling to correct herself by her breathing quickening, but Sua beat her to the talking. 

-Sure. I don't mind at all.-

It was an harmless idea honestly. And maybe for her the word 'date' meant hangout which was totally possible. 

-O-oh...- She stuttered, -No I'm sorry, if you have a partner you don't have to agre--

'So that's what she was panicking about.' Sua realised in that moment with an amused smile.

-No, I'm single...text me.- Sua makes sure she can hear the smile in her voice. 

-Okay, I'll drop you a text soon.-

The nervousness vanished from her voice, replaced with almost a playful one. That was the dismissal line but Sua held her. 

-May I know your name?- 

-Why don't you find out when we meet?-

Oh she was teasing her now wasn't she? 

-But you know mine!- 

-Sorry love, we'll meet up soon so you'll find out soon.-

Sua could hear the tease in her voice and pouted her cheeks like a baby's. But hearing the woman call her 'love' made her comfortable. 

-Fine, fine. I'll see you then.- Sua's tone matched the vibe of her narrow eyes. 

-See you, take care Bora- 

She spoke with a cheeky grin, Sua could picture that expression in her head. 

She 'tsked' and hung up, curious to what the woman's intentions were...not that she'd assume them to be bad, rather the opposite. But more like why she cared so much for Sua because she was, in reality, a stranger. 

'Let's not think too much about it for now...' Sua switches off the TV and moves to her room. 

Getting comfortable in the abundance of pillows, she pats her stomach and wishes her child good night. There's a soft nudge in response. 

With that, Sua is able to sleep soundly.