Chapter thirteen

After us

Pov Seonghwa

-Did you reach him?
-No, he doesn't answer at all.
I gnawed my fingers worriedly.
-Don't worry, Hyung, I'm sure he's fine.
-You heard what he said, Hongjoong, it was clearly a call for help! And imagine if he really did it? What if he died while we're talking?
I sat on the couch next to Hongjoong, dejected.
-Don't imagine the worst case scenario! Do you have his sister's number?
-I don't know, I don't think I deleted it when we disbanded
-Try not to worry her, just tell her that Yeosang isn't answering her phone and that we're a little worried.
I nodded my head in agreement. He's right, there's no point in worrying him, Yeosang might be fine. After all, it's only been five minutes since he tried to call me. I should have answered instead of being concentrated on my bibimbap. Tonight is our five-month anniversary with Hongjoong and he wanted to eat a bibimbap, so I was really focused on making it.
I quickly called Yeosang's sister, hoping not to get her answering machine.
She answered.
-Hello? She answered uncertainly.
-Hello, Sana-noona?
-Yes, it's me, she said.
-Sorry to bother you, but we're a little worried, we tried to call Yeosang several times but he doesn't answer at all. Have you seen him lately?
-Oh no, not at all, I went to Busan with my boyfriend, I haven't seen him for ten days, but he stayed at my place in the meantime, I didn't really want to leave him alone in our old house.
-Oh so he stayed at your place?
-Yes, but I don't think there's really anything to worry about, he's probably sleeping, he's sleeping a lot right now.
-Okay Noona, thank you very much, have a good evening, goodbye.
-Thanks, you too, bye.
I hung up.
-What's up? Hongjoong asked me.
-Yeosang is at his sister's house, but she left, she hasn't seen him for a long time.
-Do you think we should worry?
-I won't rest until I'm sure he's okay.
-Didn't San and Wooyoung mention several times that they live in the same building as Yeosang's sister?
-Yes indeed but I really don't want to talk to Wooyoung now.
I'm really angry with Wooyoung, what he did is really bad.
-It's for Yeosang okay? We'll call San and explain the problem, we're at least thirty minutes away from their house, if Yeosang really has a problem we'll never get there in time, it's already been ten minutes since he called.
-Let's call San.
Hongjoong took out his phone and called San.
There was only one dial tone before someone picked up.
-What's going on, Hyung?
Hongjoong beside me stiffened.
-Wooyoung can you put San on the phone please?
-Hongjoong-hyung, he's busy, tell me what you have to say.
I spoke up.
-Wooyoung can you put San on now, okay? We don't want to argue with you.
-Calm down, Hyung, it's okay, I'll put him on, stop being angry.
I silenced Hongjoong before he could say anything more to Wooyoung's word.
-Hello, Hyung! How are you? Said a cheerful voice.
-San we need you to do something for us, said Hongjoong.
-Of course what can I do for you hyung?
-Earlier Seonghwa received a rather disturbing call from Yeosang.
-From Yeosang?
-Yes, from Yeosang
-Does this have anything to do with Wooyoung's article, San whispered.
-Yes, we think, I took a breath, that he may have tried to kill himself.
There was a loud noise on the other end of the line and hurried footsteps were heard.
-He's at his sister's house, isn't he? San asked hurriedly.
-Yes, that's why we called you.
-San, where are you going? Wooyoung asked, his voice slurred.
-I'm going, okay? I'll try to be quick, San said, clearly ignoring Wooyoung's question.
-Thank you very much San, we'll go on our way too.
With that, we hung up the phone and set off at once.

Pov San

-But where are you going San?
-If you want to know follow me but I don't think you'll like it.
He quickly put on his shoes and followed me.
-What did the hyung want?
-You'll see, I replied, a little annoyed.
I opened the door and went down two flights of stairs before I found myself in front of Yeosang's sister's apartment.
-What are we doing in front of Sana-noona's apartment?
I ignored her question and knocked on the door.
-Yeosang please open the door!
-What do you mean Yeosang? What is he doing here? Wooyoung asked confused.
I knocked the door a second time.
-Yeosang open the ing door or I'll break it down!
-But San, you're not going to break the door down! Sana won't be happy.
I waited another minute before my instinct told me that something was wrong.
I took a deep breath and made a dash for the door.
Wooyoung screamed as the door fell to the ground with a loud crash. Not a very solid door.
We stopped for a second and looked at each other in shock.
I entered the apartment followed by Wooyoung.
-Yeosang! I shouted.
I went to the kitchen when I heard a loud shout.
-Wooyoung!
-San my god, come quickly! Come quickly, I beg you!
I ran in the direction of Wooyoung's cry and found myself in the bathroom.
The room was a mess, everything was on the floor but the only thing that caught my eye was Yeosang's body leaning against the wall and clearly unconscious. Wooyoung was standing over him, crying.
-He is not breathing San! He's not breathing! I beg you to help me!
-Oh my god Yeosang!
I rushed to him and quickly took his pulse, there was still one but he was not breathing.
I took out my phone and dialed the emergency number.
-Wooyoung, I need you to try to make him vomit, okay?
-What? he asked.
-You take him and stick your fingers in his mouth, that will activate his vomiting reflex and make him throw up the pills he has ingested.
I pointed to the bottle of sleeping pills on the floor.
While I was talking with the Samu coordinator, I saw Wooyoung grabbing Yeosang and pushing his fingers into his mouth. Not even trying to put him over the toilet.
After three tries Wooyoung finally managed to make Yeosang vomit.
Wooyoung had a lot of vomit on his fingers but he didn't really seem to care.
-It's okay San, I did it.
He looked at me, still crying and I almost felt sorry for him even though I knew he had something to do with Yeosang's suicide attempt.
-He is breathing San! He is breathing.
I looked at Yeosang and saw him open his eyes slowly.
The coordinator told me that an ambulance would arrive soon and hung up.
I ran to Yeosang and gently patted his cheeks.
-Hey hey Yeosang, wake up, please wake up.
He looked around clearly lost.
-Everything is going to be okay, right? An ambulance will come and you'll be fine, I promise.
He looked at me confused and closed his eyes.
-No no no Yeosang, stay with us!
It was no use, he had left.
At the same time someone entered the apartment and Hongjoong and Seonghwa appeared in the doorway of the bathroom.
-Oh my God, Seonghwa said and collapsed into Hongjoong's arms.
Wooyoung next to me was still crying while holding Yeosang's hand in support.
The paramedics arrived soon after and everything happened very quickly.
They took care of Yeosang while asking us questions.
Finally we found ourselves alone in the apartment. We quickly recovered and decided to go to the hospital.
During the trip, nobody said a word in the car.
Wooyoung was still crying, feeling guilty.
Hongjoong hyung was holding back his tears while driving, but Seonghwa was sobbing and couldn't stop.
I was also crying, not really in the heat of the moment, and everything was falling on me.
And two floors below us, Yeosang was killing himself.
I'm really angry with Wooyoung, I told him not to post that article but he didn't want to listen to me, thinking that it would be good for us and now Yeosang tried to kill himself and maybe he's going to die.
I know we were all on the outs with him but it still hurts to know that he was in a lot of pain and we just abandoned him.
I sobbed harder at these thoughts, looking forward to being at the hospital so we could be told that Yeosang was out of danger.