Chap 17: Always Been You

Broadcast Mistake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

....................

"Gain..." Jihoon eyed Gain seriously who was holding a tiny box. He knew very well how hard he hid it so seeing it in her hands, his anxiety kicked in. 

Gain turned back to look at Jihoon, not minding the warning his gaze was giving. "Is this for me? Are you proposing now?"

"Put that back." His voice was firm, demanding, and cold. "I have told you time and time again not to open that drawer." 

 He somehow became calm upon seeing tears well up in Gain's eyes. 

"You're hiding a ring here. Based on your reaction, it's obviously not for me. Then for who?" 

"Gain, don't do this please." He finally walked back near her and took the ring. He put it back in the drawer, locking it once again. What he heard next from her perplexed him. 

"Then is it for Jihyo-ssi?" Gain continued to extract answers from him. "You think I wouldn't know? Do you really think that in the three years that we've been together, I wouldn't know how constantly at night you open that drawer, take the ring, and cry? That there were days you stalked her, smiling like an idiot?"

"Enough, Gain!" He shouted. He knows he's at fault, yet he doesn't need her to remind him of how weak he was in avoiding temptation. 

"Oppa..." Gain weakly sat on his bed, looking everywhere as she tried her best to talk. "You...You're still in love with her." Along with those words, her tears fell. "For three years, I have been fighting against her memories. If she was just a memory to you then why do I feel like, I could never beat her?" 

"That's- That's not true..."

"It's true, oppa. It hurts but you're only using me to convince yourself that she's nothing to you anymore. That you can be happy without her but clearly, you are not. And you're making me miserable as well."

Jihoon dejectedly fell down on the floor. "I didn't mean to. Believe me, I tried. I tried all I could to forget her. I just want to badly move forward but...it seems like a lot of me is still with her." He finally admitted. "I'm sorry. Forgive me for getting you into my mess. I hurt you."

He stood up and went toward her. He brought his hand to her cheek to wipe away her tears. "Gosh. I'm sorry, forgive me please." He shakingly took her hand using his free hand and Gain cried in return. 

"I think we both know that this is it. It's fine, oppa. I chose to fight for you. It's just that after three years, I think it's time to finally accept my defeat. I know you tried and I thank you for that. But we both have to admit, that your love for her is just way too stronger."

....................#

Jihoon released a heavy sigh and smiled, looking at the ring he's been treasuring for almost two decades now. He opened a bigger box and put the ring, along its box inside. He then called one of the people who'd been taking his things out of his unit and handed him the whole storage box. 

"Sir, please throw this away." 

After how many years, he can now truly let go. 

"Oh God, Seong Im. How many bottles have you drunk already?" 

"Eomma!" Jihyo sprung up from the sofa and immediately welcomed her mom with a big hug. 

Park Gwija returned her daughter's enthusiasm yet quickly pulled away and guided both of them onto the sofa. "Okay, that's enough drinking Seong Im. You still have your flight to Thailand tomorrow." 

Jihyo was just clinging to her mom. Gwija knows her daughter is seeking comfort whenever she's like this and she's right because not long after, Jihyo started to cry in her arms. 

"Tell me what's wrong." She asked gently.

"I'm heartbroken."

Gwija lightly chuckled. "You've been heartbroken for years now, Seongim-ah." There was silence before she continued. "Is it because of Jihoon again?" 

She knew she hit the button when Jihyo's grasp on her tightened. "He's...he's leaving." 

"Oh, is that why I saw people walking in and out of his unit?" 

She felt Jihyo nod in her embrace. She may be a strict type of mother, but Jihyo never felt scared of her. For Jihyo, her mom is still her number one confidante so even her transfer as Jihoon's neighbor is known to her. 

"So what's making you cry like this?" 

"I don't know...I really don't know." 

"Let's unpack that, hm? Do you hate the fact that he's leaving?" 

"No. I don't think it's that. We talked already."

"And? Was he mad at you?"

"He's not."

"Seong Im, I won't be able to help you if you will not tell me specifically what's making you like this." 

Jihyo pulled away from her mom and took her hands. "We talked last night and we apologized and forgave each other. I should be feeling alright after that but...I feel so empty. Earlier, when I found out that he was leaving here, eomma...I got so afraid. I don't know what to do. It hurts so much here." 

There it is, the admission. She clasped her fist on the cloth above her chest. 

"Sweetheart, are you aware that this is how much you cry when you find out before that Jihoon has a girlfriend already? You went home crying right after your Running Man filming. You were so hurt that you broke up with your boyfriend then. You felt that you were being too unfair to him. We haven't even met him yet you cried because of another guy." 

"He doesn't have a girlfriend now..."

"What I'm telling Seong Im is that deep inside you still hope for him to come back to you. You're hurting because the time both of you spent for the past months strengthened the idea of you and him coming back together but now you're drifting apart again."

"He's not coming back, Mom...he's - he desperately wanting to move forward now. Who am I to stop that?"

"Have you tried already?" 

"Why would I? He didn't even come after me when I broke up with him." There was bitterness in her voice.

"Oh gosh...he did. I know I shouldn't be saying this, but I will intervene only once. The decision is still up to you. When you were hospitalized before due to Gyebaek filming, he used to visit you but he told us to not tell you because you're doing well already. He will just sit there beside you and watch you. Those were the days that I thought, what would make you leave him? He looks...genuinely in love with you. Then 2016, when the news that you'll be out of Running Man came out and people around couldn't contact you, he went directly to us. He went to us just to ask where are you, just to confirm that you are fine. But your brother pushed him away that time..."

"Why?" She looked so curious. Her chest thumped with nervousness of only knowing this today. 

"That was 2016, Seong-im. He has a girlfriend and visiting you like that in which the public eyes are still on you, could create serious troubles. But...that was the last time."

She looked up, hands fidgeting. She doesn't know what the right thing to do now. "Why are you telling me this? Eomma, you just...you just made things harder for me." 

"Because I think, it's time for you to take the initiative. You were the one who ended it, so if you're heart still desires it, you're the only one who can fix it as well. Like what you said, he's trying to move on now. If you're not going to do something, then this is it for the two of you. I feel like this is the last chance fate is giving the two of you. I don't believe in coincidence Seongim, both of you interacting again after years...there's a reason for that. Wounds aren't the only thing your interaction opened up...memories and feelings as well." 

"What if...he doesn't want me anymore?" She swallowed a lump in . Just imagining the end of the road, made her feel lost.

"Then come to me and cry your heart out."

"I don't know...eomma. I don't want to be selfish again and put him into that same pit he was in."

"It's alright. You're stronger than this. I'm definite you'll be fine." 

"Hm. He deserves someone who...who can fight with him." 

Her mom just watched her in tears. Knowing too well that her daughter is too stubborn to listen. "Do you want me to leave you alone?"

"Can you? I'm sorry...that was a long drive from Pohang." 

"It's fine. Just promise me you won't get too drunk, okay?" 

"Hmm." 

She stood up and hugged his mom, feeling her scent for comfort. 

When her mom left, of course, she didn't listen. Her loneliness was just too much to ignore, knowing that when she woke up tomorrow and went out, Jihoon's unit will be empty. Once again, they'll be living like strangers. That alone is giving her fears. 

"Jihyo-ah, we only have tomorrow then you can go take your rest." 

"Huh? What do you mean?" 

"You've been out of yourself since we came here in Thailand. Is this making you tired?"

"No, no.. of course not. I'm just thinking."

She offered a smile to her manager and as an answered prayer, they finally reached their hotel. She doesn't want prolonged scrutiny from her team's eyes. She quickly excused herself to come upstairs to her room while her team decided to enjoy the hotel's pool. 

Inside the elevator, she took out her phone and once again visited her call logs. Why did I call him the other night? Did it last for more than 30mins? 

The elevator opened and she still trying to remember why would she has Jihoon's name on her call history. 

"I hope I didn't say anything messed up." She then lightly hit her head repeatedly using her phone. 

Being distracted, she doesn't even notice that she's way passed her room number. 

"Miss, I think your room is here." 

She looked around and scold herself internally before looking back. She tried to look inside her purse for the key to save herself from embarrassment. 

"Ah, yes. That's right. I was distracted." That's when something hit her. How the hell this man knows where I stay? Nervous was an understatement, she felt scared all of a sudden. She backed away slowly before lifting her head. She prepared herself for a confrontation but who she saw diminished all the nervousness. 

Here she is again, feeling all kinds of emotions. She looked for the wall for support. "Jihoon..." 

He smiled. Oh damn, he smiled. She was puzzled. Now her mind was wondering what the hell she said during the call, the night he left and she was drunk. 

"I was wondering when would you notice me." His voice was calm and peaceful. Hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter