Chap 16: Epiphanies

Broadcast Mistake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: I recommend to reread the past chapters (Chapters 8, 12 and 13 specifically) to refresh your memory regarding this story, and there were also parts that would refer to the mentioned chapters.

Now that he finally got the explanation he needed, he's lost. He removed his hold from her hand and rested his back on the headboard. He's so confused that he doesn't know what to tell her. His heart is aching and it frustrates him how the truth just worsened the pain he's dealing for years now. 

He thought once he got the closure he needs, that's the end of it. Yet he's wrong. 

He bit his lip roughly and finally decided to look at her, allowing his tears to be visible. 

"Jihoon...talk to me, please." 

It's not just him. Instead of feeling relieved to finally let go of this burden, it pains her to see Jihoon breaking down because of her again. The time that passed unfortunately didn't heal both of them. It just helped them to bury the heartaches temporarily and now that it's being dug up - the regrets, pain, and what ifs feel surreal.

She swallowed a lump in when he looked away and wrapped his arms around his knees, his face buried. She allowed him to cry, his arms.

"I'm sorry, Jihoon. If only...if only I was a little braver to tell you."

Trying to gather himself, he held her hand once again.

"What am I supposed to feel, Jihyo? You were taken advantage while you were with me. I...I wasnt able to protect you." With this, Jihyo let out a little sob. They were both young, both chasing their dreams. They both lack empathy and maturity in their relationship. If there's one thing she's sure, their relationship is meant to fail. It's just a matter of time.

"If only I knew. If only I was more sensitive. If only -" His voice shaking, as if terrified of admitting it.

She moved nearer him. She cupped his cheeks and tried her best to offer a warm smile. "No...no. Don't blame yourself. Jihoon, listen to me. It was my choice to do that, to consider that project. Didn't you hear what I told you? It was your voice that woke me up from the moment with that director. You saved me that time."

She paused and made him look at her by tightening her grip on his face.

"It's just that...my insecurities were bigger during those years that I became afraid to hold you back. We can't even tell the public about our relationship before because of me. You want to but I don't...because I'm afraid to have another wave of hate. That's how weak I was before, Jihoon-ah. So whatever you're feeling right now, it's valid. It's valid to hate me Jihoon."

"Is it true? That I was the only one left happy and contented with our relationship?" He can't help but asked.

It may seemed weird, but he wants her to blame him, to tell him that he was at fault instead of her calling everything to be her lackings. Because it will only made him feel unfair of being left behind just like that. Jihyo ended their relationship one-sidedly without allowing both of them to fight and fix it.

Transferring her hands to his and locked her gaze to it, "That day, that's what I concluded. I sort of hated you because although I didn't tell you about the thing with the director, you know my struggles in terms of career. I think there were days that I'm sending you hints that I'm not fine but you were doing so good in your career. So maybe..just maybe, your happiness is making you insensitive to my deeper feelings or you just don't have enough time to really deal with it? Well, you're kind of really bad on reading someone before."

She let out a little laugh. An attempt to lighten the atmosphere before wiping her own tears.

"I at reading you while you at telling your feelings out loud." Jihoon continued and she nodded. "So...we're bound to fail huh. And it hurts so much that it happened while I'm still madly in love with you." This truth and admission triggered another round of his tears. 

All she can do as a response to that was to nod. She wiped off his tears, which she's been doing a lot since they started to talk it out. 

"Jihyo..." He called her after minutes of silence.

"Hmm?"

"I'm sorry."

"I told you - "

"No, please. Let me apologize, Jihyo. I am still confused actually but atleast one thing is clear for me now, I also hurt you a lot during the years that we're together, so I have no right to put all the blame to you. And you're right, I was really insensitive that I never had these epiphanies and continued being upset to you. Can you forgive me?"

She looked at him full of adoration. It's still him. The guy who's always willing to sacrifice for her. The guy who was never afraid to apologize first, which made him more manly in her eyes before. If Jihoon was the one uncontrollably crying earlier, now the tables turned. She hates how her mind is playing games with her. Her thoughts messing with her. 

If I told him before, he would undoubtedly apologize and we'll be fine again. If I - no..the relationship is meant to fail.    

Clearing her voice, she uttered bravely with a smile. "Of course. It's been more than a decade, Jihoon. I'm - I'm sorry too. I'm sorry for giving up." Now, she wasn't able to hold it. 

She let go of all her tears, finally seeing the real end of their connection. Strangely, she feels like a hole in her heart is expanding. She felt his arms embracing her and she returned it, burying herself within him. Both remained in their hugging position. Silently accepting the reality that after tonight,they're bound to be apart again. No unanswered questions tying them anymore. After tonight, they're both finally set to heal separately. 

She acted to be the one stronger between the two of them for the past years. She acted indifferent and unaffected around him. All those hidden emotions are now pouring and she felt weak in his arms. It feels so comfortable for her that she didn't notice what time she drifted off to sleep within his embrace.   

Her head feels heavy. She w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter