Eighteen: Ningselle

Walang Title

I was sitting in the wooden chair dito sa school garden. Safe place ko ito. Malayo sa gulo at ingay.

 

In short, malayo sa gulo ni RJ at ingay ng mga bibig ni Yuna at MJ. I don't want to hear those whipped asses of RJ and MJ. They are gushing about their crushes nonstop. Si Yuna naman puro pambubully kay Lia lang naman ang favorite routine non. The more they bicker, the more reason na gusto ko munang umalis at magsolo.

 

Nagiisip-isip muna ako ng mga bagay bagay. Like bakit blue ang sky? What's more soft, clouds or cottons?

 

Maya maya pa ay sinisipa ko na yung mga bato na nasa paanan ko. I don't have anything to do e.

 

I opened my playlist to find a song na bagay sa atmosphere right now. I played my favorite song and I started singing to lessen the boredom. 

 

I fell in love, same time that you're fallin' (yeah)

I fell in love, same time that you're fallin' apart

I should've known, thought I saw a sign in the stars

But I was wrong, in' with you ain't last that long

Now you gone, now you gone, now you gone, girl 

 

(gone girl - iann dior)

 

I stopped singing to silently admire the view. Relaxing naman dito tumambay. Mahangin, malinis, at higit sa lahat hindi mabaho. I am not allergic naman with dirt, I just value hygiene. Kaya nga I am laging angry with Minjeong. Pumapasok yun ng hindi naliligo dati. Ew

 

"Ate Uchi?" I heard someone calling my name from behind. 

Yizhuo.

 

We are far from being close friends. Casual friends lang kami like that. I am just doing her a favor to be honest. 

 

She is sporting a cute smile while going in my direction. Pinatay ko na muna yung tugtog.

 

 

"Hey.." I greeted her. Ang hoarse ng voice ko maybe it's because I was shouting multiple times kaninang dance practice.

 

"Can I sit here?" 

 

"Of course."

 

She went to my side and occupied the small space. Tahimik lang siya sa tabi ko kaya ibinalik ko na yung tingin ko sa mga plants.

 

Plantita in the making!

 

A few minutes have passed and we're both enjoying the view here. Hindi naman ako mahilig sa mga flowers sadyang nakatingin lang ako sa mga vegetables na tinanim ng mga Grade 3 students. I want to try some pechay kasi. I want to know the difference between pechay and cabbage dahil I'm confused with those two greens.  

 

Oh my gosh, don't you know I'm a cabbage? 

 

Char

 

 

Thankfully, the weather today is good compared to yesterday na medyo cloudy. I glanced at my seatmate and I saw her looking up at the sky. Yizhuo closed her eyes for a moment while inhaling the breeze. I was going to copy her but she already opened her eyes. 

 

She was raising her hands up and acted like she was capturing the view. I smiled at her cute act. 

 

Nakakahawa yung smile niya. 

 

When she noticed that I was looking at her, she immediately dropped her hands and fixed herself. She smiled shyly. 

 

So awkward.

 

I cleared my throat, "Is Haechan still bothering you?" I tried to think of other topics na mapaguusapan namin pero wala akong maisip. 

 

The favor that I was talking about has something to do with Haechan, yung suitor niyang hilaw. Lee Dong-hyuck, that persistent kid. 

 

Nagsimula yung favor namin after ng lunch fight ni Jeno at Winter. I mean Haechan is a good boy naman. I knew him through Yeonjun and Beomgyu, mga kababata ni Minjeong. He is kind and gentle. Nakukulitan lang talaga sa kanya si Ningning kaya she asked me if I can help her fix that problem. Surprisingly, I agreed medyo fond talaga ako sa mga mas younger compared sa akin.

 

"Hindi na naman po. Thanks for helping me, Ate Uchi." She gave me that eye smile. That smile was to die for you know. It weakens my knees and it melts my heart.

 

"How many times do I have to remind you na you should drop the formalities and replace Uchi with Aeri? You're making me feel like a grandma baka mamaya magbless ka na lang bigla." 

 

She laughed at my rant and she tried to reach my hands para gawin yung sinasabi ko. I quickly hide my hands at the back para hindi niya maabot kaya lalong lumakas yung tawa niya.

 

Don't laugh at me, Yizhuo! I'm serious.

 

"Sabi mo… Aeri is for your close friends. Giselle is for some kakilala and friends. I never heard someone call you 'Uchi', maliban sa full na Uchinaga because that is your surname. I wanted to be unique, that is why I wanted to call you 'Uchi'." 

 

My heart skipped a beat. This feeling… I only had this kind of feeling when Minjeong offers me something or Minjeong tells me that I'm pretty.

 

"Ano speechless ka ba, Uchi?" She was winking at me. 

 

Aha! You're teasing me pa! 

 

I only replied with a smile dahil nabibigla ako sa mga nararamdaman ko. 

 

 

Kabag to parang katulad ng sinasabi nila MJ at RJ pag nakikita nila si Karina at Yeji.

 

Kabag lang to.

 

-

 

Weeks have passed, our bond was stronger than before. We are not just casual friends, we are already on the next level - close friends slightly.

 

The favor was prolonged because I wanted to. Ningning said na I can stop fetching and taking her home dahil nahihiya na siya sa akin at tumigil na din naman daw si Haechan. 

 

I realized na I am insisting on doing these kind of things para matahimik ang buong pagkatao ko. 

 

Unknown to my usual self, I started to give her a lot of attention. I am taking care of her unconsciously na parang nakasanayan ko na talaga. Or maybe this is my elder sibling syndrome kicking in and taking control of my body.

 

The first two weeks, I still view her as my little sister pero change is constant nga diba?

 

Ning Yizhuo. 

 

I don't know kung anong meron sa kanya but sa pagsabay sabay namin lagi, I feel like I wanted to see her more. I wanted to know how her day went by. I was interested in how she enthusiastically shares her stories. We even talked online after a long day in school. She became a daily part of my life. My new routine.

 

I am craving for her attention.

 

"Ning, are you hungry? Gusto mo bang dumaan muna sa mall before I take you home?" I asked as I pulled the car door for her. I always put my hand on her head whenever she walks inside the car.

 

"Uchi, malayo ang mall dito at tsaka sayang ang gas mapapagod pa si Kuya Efren sa pagmamaneho. Umuwi na lang tayo para we can rest na, nakakapagod tong August e." 

 

I frowned at her answer.

You never declined my invitation, Ning Yizhuo. 

I just wanted to take you out. :(

 

Needy, as you will call it but still I want to spend time with her. This preparation for Foundation Day is preventing me from doing it. Napakademanding naman kasi ng St. Francis Academy!

 

I went to the other side, para pumasok sa loob ng kotse. I immediately arranged her things on the back dahil balak ko siyang kulitin.

 

We are having a staring contest right now. I'm doing my best to give my pinakanakakaawang face para lang pumayag siya while she was busy suppressing her laugh. 

 

Akala niya siguro hindi ko halata na natatawa na siya kahit pa she tried to glare at me. You can't defeat me in this kind of game, Ning Yizhuo.

 

"Okay, let's go na. Ang cute cute mo kasi, Uchi!" I was rejoiced with her response kaya hindi na alintana sa akin yung pagpisil pisil niya sa pisngi ko.

 

Ouch pero cute ka naman okay lang. Binawian ko din siya kaya naki-pinch ako sa cheeks niya pero mas diniinan niya yung pagpisil.

 

I whined but she just laughed at me. 

 

"Leshgo nha poh" Hindi pa kasi tinitigilan ni Ningning yung pisngi ko. Ang sakit na talaga. Nagsimula na magdrive si Kuya Efren papuntang mall.

 

"Ang cute cute talaga nito, mukhang siopao hehe. Can I call you siopaooo?" Ang ouchy ouchy na Ning. Tama ka na!

 

She massages my cheeks like it is a ing stress ball. Ano bang pinapagawa nyo sa batang to, St. Francis Academy? Ginagawa na akong human stress ball e.

 

"You can call me siopao but only if…" 

 

She stopped massaging my cheeks dahil inaantay niya ang next na sasabihin ko. 

 

"Only if?" 

 

I started to hold her hands that were placed in my cheeks. Binaba ko ito at pinatong sa lap ko. I looked straight into her eyes as if I were piercing right through her soul.

 

"Only if I can call you mine, Yizhuo." I smirked because I just dropped the bomb like it was nothing but here she is right in front of me, looking like a blushing mess.

 

I see. That is my effect on you.

Kinikilig din apdo ko dahil sa sinabi ko.

I feel like nasusuka ako na ewan sa sobrang kilig. Now I understand why nasusuka si RJ pag kinakausap siya ni Yeji.

 

Napalayo siya sa akin at tumingin na lang sa bintana. Sinisiksik niya pa yung sarili niya sa dulo kaya sobrang laki ng space namin with each other. She tries to hide her reddening ears and cheeks gamit ang hair niya. 

 

My flirty got a bright idea so I drew myself close to her. I fixed and tucked her hair in her left ear. 

 

Pulang pula nga. 

 

I chuckled at the sight of her dahil iwas na iwas siya tumingin sa gawi ko. I lifted her chin kaya wala siyang nagawa kung hindi tingnan yung mukha ko.

 

Look at me, Ning.

Only me.

 

Gusto ko lang naman ayusin yung buhok niya sa kabila e. 

 

I fixed everything, even her baby hair. She flinches everytime my finger touches her face. Para siyang nakakaramdam ng kuryente. 

 

"Yizhuo, calm down your nerves." I whispered.

 

Para naman siyang nakiliti kaya medyo tinulak niya pa ako.

 

"Ma'am Giselle, nandito na po tayo." 

 

-

 

We are currently strolling sa loob ng mall. Yizhuo runs like a kid parang hindi pulang pula kanina sa kotse.

 

Awkward yung atmosphere after i-announce ni Kuya Efren na we arrived na in our destination kaya bigla bigla na lang lumabas si Ningning. She didn't even wait for me to open the door for her. Lagi ko kasing ginagawa yon.

 

"Uchiii! Daan tayo sa Tom's World!" She is already running papunta sa escalator. Super loud ng voice niya kaya pinagtitinginan siya ng mga tao.

 

Mas bearable siya kaysa sa mga tropa ko na kung ano anong kalokohan ang ginagawa pag napapagala kami sa mall.

 

I followed her quickly dahil baka madapa pa tong bata at hindi ko masalo. Ang masama baka mahulog at may sumalong iba. Yes, it's me and my overthinking self.

 

I was traumatized na kasi for waiting on nothing kay MJ. It still hurts but hindi na katulad ng dati. I must say na I am slowly accepting what she can offer to me dahil may iba na akong pinapasok sa buhay ko.

 

"Uchi, ang tagal ha!" She came back to drag me to Tom's World. 

 

Ganito ba talaga to pag busog sobrang hyper… I mean mas busog naman talaga ako.

 

Hindi ko na talaga dadalhin to sa Mang Inasal. Who the hell orders an unli rice tapos ililipat yung ibang kanin sa plate ko?

 

Good Lord, she called Kuya Unli Rice, the one who gives unli rice, like six or seven times. In each call, may two portions of rice sa plate niya tapos ¼ lang kakainin niya, the rest puro sa plato ko nilagay.

 

She leaves me no choice but to finish it all. Ayoko magsayang ng kanin.

 

Ito yung mga oras that I wish dinala ko si Ryujin dahil matakaw yon or si MJ dahil hindi nagsasayang ng kanin yun. You can't trust Yuna sa kainin, her appetite depends on her mood.

 

I am super duper full tuloy na parang gusto ko ng masuka sa comfort room. If I was nasusuka kanina sa kilig, ngayon nasusuka ako sa kabusugan.

 

Tumakbo na si Ning papunta dun sa mga claw machines habang ako nakakaramdam na ng sakit sa tiyan. 

 

Good Lord, wag ngayon please.

 

Nagmemeditate lang ako dito sa upuan na malapit sa nilalaruan ni Ning. Medyo hindi na ako mapakali kaya I tried to stand up na lang.

 

Sobrang tagal ni Ning maglaro doon sa claw machines kaya I was calming myself for a long time na lang din. 

 

I will not lie. I badly want to poop right now. 

 

Napapapikit na lang ako para pigilan yun. Hindi ko kasi maiwan dito si Ning baka kung mapano to. She might cry pag umalis ako bigla. It's embarrassing to say naman na najejebs ako.

 

I was busy thinking about my current internal situation kaya late ko na napansin that Ningning was jumping up and down because she won the teddy bear.

 

For the love of God, Sa Wakas! Amen po!

 

Super excited siyang lumapit papunta sa akin habang ako namimilipit na yung tiyan ko sa sobrang sakit.

 

"Uchi! We can go home na."

 

Ning Yizhuo! The things I do for you! Gusto kong pagsisisihan pero talaga. Bahala na.

 

-

 

We're here sa bahay ng inaanak ni RJ na fake inaanak din naming tatlo.

 

RJ brought us here dahil may plan daw siya for Oplan: SUM! (Step Up Minjeong!) Sabi niya pa sa amin dapat daw MUM yun para Man Up Minjeong!

 

Yuna said we should bring plus ones that is why dinala ko si Ningning even though medyo embarrassed pa ako dahil sa nangyari sa amin sa mall.

 

She just laughed it out pero big deal yun for me. Super big deal! Nakalagay na number one iyon sa top ten embarrassing moments in my life.

 

How can you act properly naman after you dropped a supranuclear stinky bomb in front of your crush?

 

Yes, I'm labeling this feeling as a crush. Crush muna. 

 

Super thankful ako na hindi madaldal si Ningning. Hindi niya namention kila RJ. Hindi ko na talaga kakayanin ang life pag nalaman nilang tatlo yung embarrassing moment ko.

 

They will not let it go unless magalit ako.

 

Right now, we are watching how Minjeong sings Perfect in front of Karina. 

 

The kids around us started to dance as if we were on a prom night. Yuna and Lia was bickering but manages to settle it out kaya sumayaw din naman sila.

 

Ryujin dances with the birthday girl, Haewon.

 

Ningning was looking around, amazed by how the atmosphere changed by just a single song.

 

"Can I have this dance?" I offered my hand and she gladly took it.

 

We danced with the melody and smoothness of Minjeong's voice.

 

Ningning leaned in as if she was about to kiss me but to my dismay may ibubulong lang pala siya.

 

"Uchi…" She whispered under her breath.

" Wag kang kakain ng marami ha" 

 

talaga.

you, Yizhuo.

 

She snickered and hid in my shoulders as we continued to dance.

 

After our dance, I let her hand go and gave her the sassiest expression that I can show.

 

"Then you should finish your plate on your own, Yizhuo." I raised one of my eyebrows to show her na naga-attitude ako.

 

"I can finish yours pa nga e, Uchinaga Aeri." 

 

-

 

The party has ended. We parted ways with our friends. Ihahatid ko si Ning sa bahay nila dahil kanina pa pinauwi yung service ko. Gabi na din kaya hindi na ako nagpasundo.

 

Ningning was busy typing something on her phone.

 

It's my first time. 

It's my first time walking outside at this hour.

Late night walks are not my thing because my mom would always say it's delikado outside, especially at night.

 

I stared at the beautiful moon. 

 

"Uchi, kailangan ko pala bumalik sa 7/11. Pauwi na daw si Mama sabay na lang daw kami kaya wait ko na lang daw siya don." 

 

So kachat niya pala Mommy niya kanina. I thought may inaaway siya kasi she types very hard. 

 

"I will accompany you." 

 

"Wag na, umuwi ka na baka hinahanap ka na ni Tita. Mapagalitan pa si Kuya Efren dahil anong oras na wala ka pa din sa house nyo." 

 

"I insist." 

 

Kung matigas ulo mo, mas matigas ulo ko. I am ensuring your safety.

 

"Ang kulit naman." 

 

"I will go home naman pag nameet mo na si Tita. Ayaw kitang iwan ng magisa, Yizhuo." 

 

Delikado. Gabi na mapano ka pa.

 

"But-"

 

"No buts, Ning. I'm a hard headed person kaya sa ayaw at sa gusto mo, we are going to wait until Tita arrive at tsaka lang ako uuwi." 

 

"Edi paano ka? Kung delikado sa akin, edi that goes the same for you, Uchi."

 

"I can protect myself duh."

 

We did not stop arguing with each other hanggang sa makarating kami ng gate.

 

She stomps her feet sa sobrang inis at umupo na lang siya sa sidewalk.

 

"Nakakainis ka!"

 

"Para naman to sa safety mo e. Let's stop arguing na, kay?" I reached for her shoulders to calm her down. She shakes it off and proceeds to check her phone.

 

Nagtatampo yung bata. Hindi na ako pinapansin e.

 

I bowed my head slightly para ipikit yung mata ko dahil nag kick-in na yung pagod ko for today.

 

Kaya nagulat ako nang biglang tumayo si Ning at iniwan akong magisa. 

 

Pupunta na siguro ng 7/11 yun. She didn't even bother to say goodbye.

 

Napabuntonghininga na lang ako at yumuko uli. I might stay here for a minute. Umupo muna ako para makapagpahinga land then I will start to walk home na later.

 

Someone lifted my chin and placed a kiss on the top of my head and on my forehead.

 

"Uchi, nandoon na si Mama. Pwede ka na umuwi. Magiingat ka. Ayaw ko pa mawalan ng uchibelles" She hugged me tight. Hindi niya na inantay yung reply ko at tumakbo na siya ng mabilis pabalik ng 7/11.

 

Uchibelles?

What the hell?

Did she just kiss me twice?

 

-

Ningselle muna para sa ikauunlad ng bansa!

 

Buti pa dito nausad! Kamusta naman kaya si winjeong at yuji? 

 

Si Ryujin? When makaangat sa laylayan?