Episode 50 - After 10 Years

Rollin' in the Deep

     Sandeul, Gongchan, and Shinwoo never found out if what they saw was really Jinyoung, and sadly they hadn’t spotted him after that. 

     The three members continued advancing in their music career, gaining popularity and filling up the concert hall every time they performed. They kept the original five member group alive in their hearts each time they would dance and sing. The emptiness they felt never went away, but they knew they were making Jinyoung and Baro proud. 

 

Even after 10 years, my heart is the same,

But no one is waiting for me,

I can’t even lift my head out of embarrassment~

Even after 10 years, I am still here,

But everything is leaving me,

How are things now?

 

~10 years later~

 

     "We meet here today to honor the life of Shin Hyunwoo..." the dull voice of the pastor could be heard over the crowd's sobs with the help of his microphone. “He was a great friend, husband, uncle, and a reliable plumber with the best company in Seoul. He will live forever in our hearts…”

     When the funeral service for Shinwoo’s uncle was over, Gongchan and Sandeul in black, somber suits, made their way over to him to give their condolences. 

     Shinwoo gave them each a tight hug, then managed a smile, cheeks still wet from crying. “Thanks for coming, you two. It means a lot.”

     “It’s no problem, Hyung,” Sandeul said genuinely, patting his sad friend on the back. “It’s the least we could do after all your uncle did to help get our careers going. He was the best.”

     “Daddy! Can we go now? It’s too sad here…” a little four year old girl ran up to Sandeul and hugged his knee. 

     “Not yet, Eunsol. Go find Mommy, okay?” Sandeul told her as she nodded and skipped away. “Sorry about that. She doesn’t know how to sit still. I wonder where she gets it from,” Sandeul pretended to wonder, even though the answer was obvious. He had always been antsy, meanwhile his wife was calm and kept him grounded. 

     “It’s all right,” Shinwoo chuckled. “Eunsol is adorable, and I’m sure she’s cheering up my relatives with her sunny disposition.” He turned to Gongchan, giving him a friendly, soft punch on the shoulder. “I have to admit I’m surprised to see you here. Isn’t your wedding in three days? You must be insanely busy.”

     Gongchan nodded. “Nae, but I can easily fit in a funeral for you, Hyung. Anything for my best friend. You’re my best friend too!” he quickly added after Sandeul raised his hand to slap Gongchan’s arm. Sighing deeply, Gongchan stared off into space and said with a dreamy tone, “Isn’t she wonderful? I honestly never thought I’d find someone who’d love me… even though I’m a werewolf. I’m the happiest man alive!” Blushing hard, Gongchan added again, “B-But I’m sad about your loss, Shinwoo. I really am. It’s just, I’ve never been married before and—Well, it’s not like you get married every day—”

     “Aish~” Sandeul glared at Gongchan. “I don’t like this new you. You’re talking more than me! And I rarely shut up.”

     Shinwoo felt happiness grow inside as his friends bickered and played around like old times. If only…

     He felt a tap on his shoulder. It was Baro who held out a card. “It’s been a long time, hasn’t it? I’m so sorry to hear about—”

     “Baro!” Shinwoo, Sandeul, and Gongchan interrupted him, pulling their friend into the center of a group hug. 

     Baro felt moved to tears, clearly not expecting to be missed so much. Once the four boys… men parted from their tight hug, Baro cleared his throat and dried his eyes. “I-I kinda thought you would’ve forgotten about me. I mean, that was what I was afraid of after my six months in prison were over. I stayed with my family and helped take care of my grandparents, but this whole time I was too ashamed to see you guys.”

     Shinwoo’s eyes were leaking again from behind his glasses. “That’s nonsense! We’ve been wondering about you for the past ten years! We would have loved to hear from you, Baro.” He placed a firm hand on Baro’s shoulder. “But I’m glad you finally decided to turn up.”

     Embarrassed, Baro’s cheeks turned pink. “Mianhae… I guess it was silly to think that way. I really regret not stopping by… But at least we’re together now. We have a lot of catching up to do. I’m running an organization that helps people fresh out of jail stay out of trouble and find new skills and passions.”

     “Wow!” Gongchan grinned proudly. “That’s amazing to hear. Do you— Sandeul? You okay? You don’t look so good.”

     Sandeul’s face was pale as a ghost as he pointed to the entrance. “It’s Jinyoung. I’m sure of it this time.”

     The other three sets of eyes followed in the same direction, and they spotted their old friend, looking as healthy as ever. 

     Jinyoung spotted the group, smiling sadly, and approached them with caution. “I—”

     He was interrupted, just like Baro, and pulled into a group hug. The five, together at last, couldn’t hold back their tears. 

     Being the first to pull away, Jinyoung sniffed and spoke with heavy seriousness, “I’m so sorry I haven’t been around. Being a vampire and everything,” he lowered his voice to a whisper, “it’s been difficult. But I found a group of my kind. A vampire clan. And they promoted me as leader!”

     “Jeongmal?” Sandeul’s jaw dropped. “That must be a huge honor!... Right?”

     “I… I guess so,” Jinyoung admitted, looking down at the floorboards. “This clan always wanted to hunt people for blood, but since I became leader, I was able to change their minds. We mostly hunt for dangerous animals,” when he saw Gongchan flinch, Jinyoung added, “But it doesn’t kill them! We just drink a little blood and move on. Sometimes we scout for people committing crimes and—” it was Baro’s turn to flinch, “and we scare them away... Maybe… Maybe I shouldn’t say much about my life as a vampire,” he laughed timidly, scratching the back of his head. “So, what about the rest of you? How’s life been treating you?”

     Baro explained his new life as a new man, not having one temptation to steal anything since his time in jail, and his calling to help others who have been through the same thing. Sandeul rambled on about married life and what it was like to be a father. But no one talked more than Gongchan who was clearly nervous about the wedding and what it would be like to balance being both a husband and a werewolf. 

     “What about you, Shinwoo?” Jinyoung asked after everyone else had their turn. “Have you found a special lady yet?”

     Shinwoo blushed and let out an embarrassed laugh, “No, not yet. I guess I’m still waiting for the one.” He turned from them to look at his uncle’s casket that lay on the other side of the large funeral hall room. “But I’ll be kept busy. Samchon left me his business to run. I’ll be too busy to look for love.”

     “You know,” Baro said, putting an arm around Shinwoo’s shoulders, “we could help you. You don’t have to run a whole company by yourself.”

     “Yeah!” Jinyoung agreed enthusiastically. “I can easily help when I’m not… ahem… doing my vampire job. How about you two?”

     Gongchan and Sandeul nodded since they weren’t getting paid enough to support their new families at their current jobs. 

     Shinwoo took a good look at each of his four friends, feeling that familiar warmth rise in his chest. He was so glad to have such a good group of friends to help him out at a time like this. “Gomawo… This really means a lot to me.”

     “I know this might not be a good time to ask, being that this is a funeral,” Jinyoung said, looking around the room at the sad faces. He turned back to his friends with a small smile. “But what do you think about starting up our band again?”

     Everyone agreed without needing to think it through. 

     Sprout Entertainment welcomed Baro and Jinyoung with open arms, and allowed the five of them create an album together. They quickly organized a concert—after Gongchan’s wedding of course, which his four friends attended and had a blast—and sold every last ticket. 

     B1A4 had a successful comeback, but most importantly, they were together again. That empty space that each of them felt within their hearts was finally filled again. 
 

The end. 
 

Author's note: Thank you so much for reading! I had a lot of fun writing this fanfic 5-ish years ago. It's very different compared to the other writing I've done, but I wanted to give fanfiction a try. I appreciate all of your support! I hope you have a wonderful day.