Chapter 3

Right Feels Wrong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a life of her own

 

While everyone else gathers around the girl in his arms, Baekhyun desperately looks to his side, hoping to meet Seolhee's eyes. But she has her eyes directed towards the other interns, not really focusing on them, just looking.

     After a few seconds, Seolhee clears and everyone pauses to look at her. 

     "Dr. Shin," Baekhyun finally calls her and gives her a knowing look. "This is my daughter, Byun Dahyun. She's being treated here," he explains.

     Seolhee nods and clears once again. "Okay," she gulps. "Okay, wow," then she chuckles this time. "I didn't know you're a father."

     "Dr. Byun might not look like it but he's actually older than us," Yejun says, and Seolhee nods. 

     "Yeah, I know. I mean- I looked at your records so I know. Is that uh..." Seolhee clears again before looking at Baekhyun, and then to Dahyun, and then back to him. "Is that why you were late for the orientation day?"

     Baekhyun nods, "Yeah," he says.

     "Okay...." she says awkwardly. "Yejun, can you finish checking up on this patient?"

     "Yes, Dr. Shin," he says with the energy of an excited newcomer.

     "Okay, good. After that, go to the emergency room and go bother Dr. Kim, ask where else you can help. I have to prep for a surgery at 12. You guys can observe. I'll be in operating room 4. Understood?"

     Everyone said yes except Baekhyun because he's now putting Dahyun down from his arms. He watches her as she runs across the hall then back to her hospital room.

     "Okay. Good luck with Dr. Kim," Seolhee sends a mischievous smile, making the interns more nervous than they actually are. Then she turns around and walks away, finally exhaling the breath that she's been holding since Dahyun came into view.

     Along with this breath is a small tear just right at the corner of her eyes. She cries for the younger her who endured several nights of heartbreak, of wishing for Baekhyun to be the one, of pulling herself back from running towards him, hugging him, and never letting him go. She cries for not being able to tell him, " the plan, the future, I want you more than anything else."

     "Dr. Shin," Baekhyun's voice echoes in the empty hallway. Seolhee stops in her tracks and quickly wipes the tear that she let roll on her cheeks.

     She turns around to see Baekhyun in front of her.

     "Seol," he calls her.

     "Yes, Dr. Byun?" and it took her all the strength she can not to call him Baek. It's Baek and Seol. 

     "Seol," he calls again with so much desperation, as if he is looking for the Seol that he knows from years ago.

     "What is it?" she says, slouching her shoulders as if a sign that she has her guards down. And then she lazily looks at him, not letting him see the overpowering emotions brought by his presence.

     "It's nice to see you again, Seol. You look great,"

     "Thanks. You too," she says and starts walking.

     "And?" he walks beside her.

     "And you should go back to your assigned station,"

     Baekhyun doesn't know if he started walking slow or if Seolhee started walking faster. But right now, he's steps behind and all he could do is call her name again. The one that he used to call her.

     "Seol," he says carefully. Seolhee turns around and immediately felt like a fool. She still feels the same 20-year-old who would drop everything once Baekhyun starts calling her name. But she assures herself, I'm stronger now. She's her own person, she's whole, and no one else would complete her, not even Baekhyun. Not anymore.

     When their eyes meet again, Seolhee recognizes the same longing look that Baekhyun used to have. And then he smiles, the joking smile that used to show only when they're alone.

     "I'm not surprised you're in pediatrics, assuming how much you love kids,"

     Baekhyun's attempt to light up the mood between them made Seolhee laugh. "Yeah," she says, scratching her forehead.

     It was a good joke, Seolhee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter