Chapter 20

Right Feels Wrong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

all these people think love's for show

Being a first-year resident in a hospital is definitely not an easy job. Baekhyun has a special ability to balance med school and his responsibility with Dahyun. He could take all the academic exhaustion, the memorizing, the tests, and recitations and still have time for Dahyun. But his physical exhaustion, his body is always ready to pass out after every shift.
     Today isn't any different. Along with the other residents, he's been working non-stop at the emergency room. Car accidents have been one of the most accidents that happened throughout the week. It's already cold and the streets are now frozen and slippery.
     Even Seolhee got called into the emergency room today because most private cars involved in accidents are traveling with kids. When he had a second for himself, Baekhyun kept glancing at her. And to see her so focused at work, delicately treating children, trying to calm them down, and assuring that everything will be alright, that their parents would be with them shortly, it was something precious Baekhyun wanted to tuck into his memory. So he can recall how strong Seolhee is. So he wouldn't have an excuse when he's too tired to work.
     "Dr. Gayeong, scrub in with me," Seolhee proceeded to order her for preparations on a minor operation on one of the kids. "Dr. Byun, Dr. Kim needs help for trauma, go scrub in,"
     Baekhyun nods and goes to the trauma room where Dr. Kim is right away. "Dr. Yixing and Yejun, I head you two are interested in neuro?" they both nod. "Okay go with Dr. Song, he's at OR 4, he needed assitance 2 minutes ago but nobody was available. Check if he still needs help and scrub in,"
     Since Seolhee and he talked about his plans for a specialty, he's noticed that she's been assigning him to different departments. It was probably normal and part of Seolhee's job, but he noticed it and he appreciates it greatly.
     However, for sure, right now, as he's helping remove a limb from a patient, he's almost sure he doesn't want anything to do with trauma. Right now, he's not even sure if he wants to be a surgeon. Maybe he's more of a therapist kind of guy. Was he? Maybe he should try reconstructive surgery. It's more chill and it makes people prettier. He probably shouldn't be thinking about things like these while performing a surgery. He blinks forcefully and shakes his head along with his distracting thoughts.
     "You okay, Dr. Byun?" Dr. Kim asks.
     "Yeah, sorry."
     Apparently, it was also normal for first-year residents to act like sharks to get the best surgeries they can. Of course, Baekhyun also wants to get the experience so he's been very competitive too. He's been running around, trying to get known by the senior doctors and volunteering for interesting surgeries. 
     Dahyun has been spending more time with her grandparents because Baekhyun comes home late and he uses that time to sleep. So far, his parents are happier with Dahyun there but he's missing her too. So whenever he got the time, he goes straight to his parents' home just to sleep next to Dahyun. When he wakes up, she's already getting ready for school.
     On the bright side, he's earning more, too. He wasn't proud of it, but his parents paid all of his tuition for med school so, unlike his other colleagues, he's not sitting on millions of student loans.  Now that he's earning money, he can afford to give back some to his parents and now he's saving up for Dahyun's college fund.
     It's not supposed to surprise him that having a child will instantly make you plan but it did. And now even when Dahyun hadn't even started grade school yet, he's already planning for her future.
     "What are you smiling about?" Seolhee, who strangely found him seated on the rooftop bench, sits beside him.
     "Nothing,"
      "Really, what are you thinking about? I wanna know,"
     "Well," Baekhyun sighs and looks at her. "If you really wanna know. I'm thinking about the future."
     "Wow!" Seolhee replies in an overdramatically shocked manner.
     "Yeah, I know. The Byun Baekhyun planning the future. What a surpise, yeah?"
     Seolhee just chuckles lightly. "So how was your day? Is your shift finally over?" he asks.
     "Yep. It was fine, just the usual. Deaths here, healing there," she replies.
     Baekhyun leans back and relaxes his body for the first time today. "You talk about your job so lightly, but it isn't easy, right?"
     "Well, it's heavy during the duty, don't wanna make it heavy after work. I know we both had a rough day,"
     "Yeah, I know," Baekhyun leans in to kiss her on the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter