Chapter 22

Right Feels Wrong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"It's your turn again. How are you two back together? Are you two like boyfriend and girlfriend again?" Hyojoo squints her eyes with so much curiosity that she can't help but lean on the table as if getting closer to Baekhyun would give her more information.

     "Well," Baekhyun shrugs his shoulders and looks away. "I may have overstretched that part."

     "What do you mean?"

     "We're not back back together. I mean," Baekhyun sighs. He doesn't know how to explain everything without making it sound bad. "We kind of just slept together,"

     Hyojoo leans back. "So you two aren't official or something like that?"

     Baekhyun shakes his head, earning an 'oof' sound from Hyojoo. "Why? Isn't that a good sign?"

     "For Seolhee? Hm-m," Hyojoo shakes her head. "Now I don't know about how she was in college since I wasn't there, but that girl can sleep with other people with no strings attached,"

     Baekhyun was taken aback. He felt for a moment as if something was crashing over him that clouded his head, and for the rest of the day, his heart would feel heavier than usual.

 

"Wow, Tae, it's been so long," Seolhee gestures to Taehyung to sit on her chair and she leans on her table. "You look taller," she comments.

     Taehyung shyly laughs, looking down at his feet. "It's the boots. They boost my height with at least an inch or two,"

     Even his voice got a little deeper than when she last heard him. "So what brings you here?"

     "I was hoping you could do me a favor," he says. "We're trying to get students to enter the science field and I'm hoping you could be one of the speakers to... you know, convince young girls to be doctors, too,"

     Seolhee smiles. "Is that what you do now? Go to schools and tell people how great it is to be a doctor?" she teases. Taehyung replies with a chuckle, "It's just a social service time requirement."

     "Well, you know I'd be honored to," Seolhee takes a deep breath and they pause for a while, just looking at each other. Looking at Taehyung like this reminds her of the good times that got her through her four cruel and exhausting years of residency. "When is it?"

     "On Wednesday next week," Taehyung replies, and Seolhee nods. There was an awkward silence for a good five seconds. "So... Have you visited Dr. Kim yet?" Taehyung shakes his head. "No, do you wanna visit him together?"

     "I see him every day but okay, let's go. It's been a long time since he scolded me for being stupid and nervous all the time,"

 

"What happened between them? Why did they break up?" Baekhyun questions.

     "It's not really my place to tell you that story. But I know they grew apart after being so busy and away from each other." Baekhyun nods in understanding. "Do you love her?" Hyojoo asks.

     Baekhyun's heart skipped at the question, but it didn't stop him from answering, "Yes," he breathes out and it felt so good to finally tell someone. "I never stopped."

 

"There are my favorite students!" a strangely happy Dr. Kim shouts from across the hall. Some first-year residents who have experienced the wrath of Dr. Kim were shocked to see him smiling at what he called students. 

     "Oh, please Dr. Kim. You never liked me," Seolhee says.

     "You're right. But you two came in pair for years that I was forced to have you as my favorite, too," Dr. Kim replies and then hugs Taehyung.

     When Seolhee looked around, she noticed Yixing looking at the three of them and the first thing she thought of was Baekhyun. However, it's been so long since she's had a former colleague visit her so she holds that thought to the back of her head and focuses on Dr. Kim and Taehyung.

     Seolhee watches as the two catch up. They walk toward the cafeteria and ordered some coffee. Suddenly, it felt like residency all over again with Dr. Kim and Taehyung talking about so many things which were strange that they even had one thing to talk about. And Seolhee is behind them just listening.

     "Extra creamy and sweet," Taehyung says while handing her usual coffee. Seolhee smiles and thanks him. Without other words, they walk towards the garden outside where they sit on one of the benches.

 

They talked for about an hour, mostly it was Taehyung telling stories about how he had been for the past two years while Seolhee and Dr. Kim listen intently to him. Taehyung still has the amazing story-telling skill that involved sound effects and overly acted gestures while he tells the story. He's still funny and sometimes arrogant which makes Seolhee roll her eyes.

     Seolhee stands outside the hospital in front of Taehyung. "I got your Facebook so I'll message you there, is that okay? You can also just message me if you have questions,"

     "Yeah, sure. How long will you be here?"

     "For a month, I guess. I'm using up all my vacation and sick leave before the year ends,"

     "Oh, okay. I'll see you next week," she beams. Taehyung agrees and pulls her in for a gentle hug. "It's nice seeing you again, Seolhee,"

     "It's good to see you're doing well, Tae," Seolhee says with a muffled voice as her face is against his chest. "Bye, see you next week," Taehyung pulls away and waves before jogging towards the parking lot.

     When she was about to turn around to go back inside, she hears a tiny voice calling her name. "Auntie Seoool!" when she looks in the direction of the voice, she sees Dahyun being carried by Baekhyun.

     Somehow, she felt like explaining to Baekhyun, but he was holding Dahyun's hand and using it to wave at her while smiling. "Hi cuties," Seolhee walks toward them.

     "Hey, Dahyunie," Dahyun immediately stretches her arms out so Seolhee would carry her. "I missed you, where have you been?"

     "My dad made me go to my granny the whooole week. I missed you tooo!" she cutely says and kisses Seolhee on the cheek.

     Seolhee looks at Baekhyun immediately with her eyes and mouth widened. "Did you see that?!" she excitedly mouths at him and Baekhyun laughs. 

     "So what's she gonna do all day here?" Seolhee asks. 

     Baekhyun replies that Dahyun can stay at the daycare in the meantime since it doesn't close until 5 PM. He forces his lips to an upward stretch although he had seen Seolhee with Taehyung seconds ago. He recognized the man immediately based on his military uniform. It

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter