Chapter 2

Right Feels Wrong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

   Did you hear about the girl who got frozen?

     Seolhee has played out this scenario in her mind a thousand times. After their breakup, all she could think about was how they would meet again. Maybe it would be around campus, when Baekhyun felt like visiting, and they would bump into each other. When she was in medical school, she imagined bumping into him in the busy streets of Seoul. Maybe she would see him again as she crossed the street with the books in her arms, bump into him, and the books would fall everywhere. Maybe Baekhyun would at least help her pick them up, see her again, and fall in love for the second time. She played it out in her head countless times, but never like this. 

     Never did she imagine Baekhyun would be her intern, that Baekhyun would go to medical school or want to be a doctor. He made it very clear from when they were dating that he didn't really have a plan in his life, so she assumed that he wouldn't spend more years studying.

     Anger isn't the word to describe what Seolhee is feeling. Instead, she feels pity for them, for their relationship that could have worked out easily if Baekhyun had just told her that he was planning on taking up med school a little later than her. That could have worked, she says to herself. But there's no point in thinking about that now. Seven years had passed.

     Right after Seolhee finished showing the interns around the emergency room, Baekhyun showed up in his blue scrubs. Seolhee had to swallow the lump in before speaking.

     "I just finished the tour here so you're gonna have to explore this place yourself. Now let me show you quickly the on-call rooms," she looks back at the other interns who awkwardly smile at her, and then she walks faster, wanting the day to be over so she can take the weekend off and finally rest.

     "Is it true that doctors have all the time inside the on-call rooms?" Yixing says, making the other two giggle.

     "That's a disgusting and inappropriate question," Seolhee says sternly. "But yes so keep it clean and always ask the janitors to replace the sheets after," then she walks again towards the operating rooms, leaving the interns giggling with each other.

     After the show-around, Seolhee felt more exhausted than she was after a 20-hour shift. At least that's how it felt to be around Byun Baekhyun again and pretend that she doesn't know him. She sits across Tahee's hospital bed. Tahee is her 12-year patient whose parents aren't usually around. Seolhee leans her head back on the wall and gives a heavy sigh. Her mood doesn't go unnoticed by Tahee, who is quietly playing on her tablet.

     "What's wrong, Dr. Seol?"

     "Nothing."

     "Your face says otherwise,"

     She lets out a chuckle. This is why it's fun working with kids. Some of them act exactly like their age, but some, like Tahee, act like they've been to three world wars and give out advice better than her grandma.

     "I just saw my ex today, that's all," she says and watches Tahee's eyes grow larger.

     "Did you see him again and realize how much you still love him? So now do you want to get back together with him? But he's already in a serious relationship and it's too late for you, isn't it?" Tahee says excitedly.

     "None of that is tr-"

     "Oh my gooood," she squeals. "This is so like in the movies!"

     "No, it's not," Seolhee says defensively. "It's not. Oh my god kids nowadays. You shouldn't be watching romantic movies like that. You should be watching... Barney and Friends, Peppa Pig, Dora the Explorer. God, what happened to kids nowadays?" Seolhee stands up, not believing she got all worked up by some kid who hasn't even memorized the multiplication table yet.

      "You know nothing about kids nowadays, Doctor Seoool!" Tahe shouts as Seolhee walks out the door.

     "I know exactly everything about kids. That's why I'm a kid's doctor!" Seolhee shouts back and shuts the door.

     Now what? She still has three hours left before her shift ends and the hospital is not as busy as yesterday. If the thought of looking at the kid Baekhyun was with earlier didn't come to her mind, she would be lying. The room is only at the end of the hall and if she walks slowly enough, she'd be able to see if it's really his kid or not.

     With her heart thumping in her chest, Seolhee walks across the hall, slowing down when she reaches that particular room and reads the name on the door. Byun Dahyun. Of course, she chuckles to herself. As if her pain isn't enough, she opens the door slightly, just enough so she can see the cute little girl sleeping with slightly open.

 

To her luck, she did not see Baekhyun again until her shift ended and she got home. Seolhee contemplated on whether to call her friend over to talk about it or not. In the end, she decided to rest for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter