Chapter 14

Right Feels Wrong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

you can plan for a change in weather and time

The long day isn't over yet. Right after the hospital was cleared for structural safety, everyone helped in ensuring that the patients would immediately go back to safety and attend to the ones who are coming.

     The sounds of several ambulances coming only a minute after another echoed throughout the emergency area of the hospitals. Doctors are rushing to check on the patients, first-aid responders report the status of the patients, the nurses are running around to get the necessary medications, and the hospital was in chaos. The trauma rooms are almost full. Some family members are starting to come one by one, hoping that their missing loved one was being treated at the hospital.

     Baekhyun, Yixing, Yejun, and Gayeong are doing their best to maintain their sanity throughout the craziness that was going on. Gayeong and Yixing are in the waiting area, getting the names of the missing people and trying to match them with the IDs of the current patients. The other two, Baekhyun and Yejun, are scrubbing in with Dr. Kim to assist a patient whose leg was crushed by falling debris.

     While everyone in the hospital was attending to their patients, Seolhee is outside. After the hospital was cleared, they got a call from the first responders on the site that there are people who needed to be treated on the scene. Seolhee, along with other attendings and some residents, went there.

     Apparently, a 12-story office has collapsed just three kilometers from their workplace. Now, the surrounding buildings didn't take much damage because they weren't as outdated as the said building. It will later be found out that the building wasn't adhering to the safety protocols in terms of reinforcing a solid foundation and hadn't been checked for quality improvement for decades. 

     Although Seolhee has believed more in science than the deities throughout her life, at times like these, she would take a deep breath, look up, and find strength in something that is greater than her. She hopes to help these people as much as she can, and she prays that she can help them all.

     As soon as they arrived at the site, Seolhee grabs her medical tools. It was crazy, the scene that greeted her. There are several bodies laying on the highway. The roads were closed off to prioritize the rescue operation. Her co-doctors rushed to the bodies to check who they can save still. Seolhee stood there and once again, calls on to a god that she doesn't believe in.

     If You're here, I need You right now, Seolhee prays. With a deep breath and a determined heart, Seolhee puts on her yellow hard hat and runs toward a kid lying on one of the stretchers.

     Forehead bleeding and barely conscious. The boy is around 9 to 11 years old, Seolhee can't tell yet. She flashes a light in his eyes and saw his pupils are not equal in size. "Hey," Seolhee calls on to him in an attempt to wake him up but there was no response. "Hi, can you tell me your name? I'm Dr. Shin Seolhee, I'm here to take care of you. Can you tell me your name?"

     The boy groans and tries to open his eyes. Seolhee puts her ears closer to the boy's mouth. "Hangyeol..." he managed to say.

     "Good!" Seolhee says. "Good job, Hangyeol. Can you tell me how old you are?"

     While speaking, Seolhee is ing the boy's shirt to check for more injuries. Then there was a purple bruise on his collarbone which seemed to be broken.

     "I'm e-elev-" Before he could finish his sentence, Hangyeol throws up.

     With her right hand supporting his back and the other, his head and neck, Seolhee turned Hangyeol to his side so he wouldn't choke. "Okay," Seolhee inhales deeply, still supporting the boy's body.

     However, her eyes are glued to the back of his head. At first glance, it's not that noticeable, but at a closer look, you would see the deep wound covered by his hair.

     "Hey," Seolhee calls one of the EMTs. "Hi, sir?" she calls louder, he seems to be unable to hear her out of all the shouting and crying. "SIR!" she shouts, finally getting the attention of the responder. "We need to take him to the hospital right now!"

     Immediately, a team of responders helped Seolhee carefully transport the boy to the ambulance. "Please call for Dr. Han of neuro, I'll need her for this," Seolhee orders while the responders are communicating with the hospital.

     When they arrived, a team of doctors and nurses are already waiting in front of the emergency area. "Run a CT. Be extremely careful with his whole spine, alright? I'll prep for the operation now," Seolhee instructs.

     It was a six-hour-long operation and by the time she finishes, the hospital was calmer than it was this afternoon. New patients are still being brought in but the injuries weren't as serious. Seolhee doesn't know how, but the interns managed to calm everyone down in the waiting area.

     Hangyeol is still in critical condition and should be closely monitored for the next three days. The good thing right now is that he survived the operation. Now, the waiting begins.

     The boy's parents are also alive. His father, however, has injured his spine trying to save his family from falling objects during the earthquake. How his injuries affected his motor abilities is still yet to be determined once he wakes up.

     Although Seolhee's first instinct was to go home and rest, she knows she will not be able to sleep at all knowing that there are still people in the hospital who needs her. So instead of going, home, Seolhee stays in one of the on-call rooms to rest.

 

Not an hour after she closes her eyes, Seolhee hears the door of the room opening. Now she sleeps like a baby in her house, but at the hospital, it's just natural for her to be alert to her surroundings. Anyway, it's hard to actually sleep in your workplace.

     "Oh, sorry, I hope I didn't wake you up," a familiar voice says. Seolhee tries opening her eyes but she couldn't quite recognize the figure formed by the silhouette at the doorway.

     "No, you didn't," was all that she says before closing her eyes once again. It wasn't even two seconds later when the lights , startling Seolhee.

     "Now you woke me up," she says in an irritated manner.

     "Oops, sorry, I was just checking if it was really you. It's so dark in here,"

     Seolhee opens her eyes and sees Baekhyun on his blue scrub and cap. Wow.

     "That's okay. Just finish what you're doing so I can go back to sleep," Seolhee says. Baekhyun takes one step to see Seolhee and notices her bloodshot eyes. "I really woke you up, huh? I'm sorry,"

     Seolhee covers her whole face with her blanket and faces the direction opposite from Baekhyun. "Stop talking to me. I need sleep,"

     "Okay, I'm here to sleep, too anyway," Baekhyun says and turns off the lights. He throws his body on the other bed on the other side of the room and removes his cap. He lets his hand dangle at the edge of the bed while still holding the cap. He melts into the bed and feels just how tired he actually was.

     "Are the other on-call rooms full? Are my other interns sleeping there? How are they?" Seolhee removes the blanket from her face and stares at the ceiling. Now that Baekhyun is in the same dark room as hers, she can no longer focus on getting some rest.

     She can hear Baekhyun shuffling on the bed. "Hmm," he groans, trying his best to fight his sleepiness. "No, actually the other rooms are empty. I just hoped I could find you in one, and I did. The others went home," Baekhyun hasn't been this tired before. He feels like he's drunk and the room is spinning.

     "Okay," 

     Somehow, Seolhee feels just as tired to process what Baekhyun had just said.

     "Goodnight Dr. Byun. Good job today," Seolhee says and turns to the opposite side of where Baekhyun lays.

     "Goodnight Seol. You did well today,"

 

The morning aft

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter