Chapter 5

Right Feels Wrong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a stranger's familiar laugh

     "He's hot isn't he?"

     "What?"

     "Doctor Byun, your intern. He's been the talk of the nurse town,"

     Apparently, Seolhee's attention wasn't the only one that Baekhyun caught. Still a head-turner, I see, she notes to herself.

     "Is he, though?" Seolhee squints her eyes, trying to get Nurse Kim to talk.

     "Yes he is, and from the way you were looking at him, I don't think you have the right to disagree with me," Nurse Kim says and Seolhee laughs out loud. "He's definitely a DILF," Nurse Kim adds, gaining nods and hums of agreement from other nurses.

     "DILF? What's a DILF?" Seolhee asks, grabbing a bottled water from the nurse's station.

     "A dad I like to ," Areum, one of the youngest nurses, says. Instantly Seolhee chokes on her water and almost spits it out in front of the nurses. "What?!" she gasps, trying to catch her breath in between coughs.

     The other nurses burst out laughing and Nurse Kim can only slap Areum's arm for being so blunt about it. "What? I didn't lie, though,"

     "We're all friends in here, but I wouldn't tolerate you guys ualizing my interns," Seolhee says, still smiling, but somehow hoping that they would take her seriously.

     "Now Dr. Shin, you just want Dr. Byun all to yourself," Nurse Areum says. "What do you mean? Of course not! He's my intern,"

     "Okay, then why are you being so defensive about it?" Areum teases.

     "No, I'm not," Seolhee defenses. "I'm just protective of my interns," she says, watching Baekhyun's figure disappear into the hall.

     "But especially Dr. Byun?"

     "No, I treat them equally. Stop it!" Seolhee rolls her eyes at the nurses who could only laugh at her.

     "I heard he's single," Nurse Kim whispers.

     "He is?" Seolhee, out of impulse and curiosity, asks. The nurses give her a mischievous look. "You know," she tries to act nonchalant. "Just curious,"

     "I'm not sure but there is definitely no ring around that finger,"

 

If only Seolhee could turn back time, she would have walked away the moment they started talking about Baekhyun. Because right now, even though she's eating her first meal of the day at 3 PM, she's still thinking about what Nurse Kim had said about Baekhyun being single.

     "Seolhee, why are you here eating alone?" Hyojoo, Seolhee's colleague, asks. Hyojoo puts down her tray of food in front Seolhee and takes a seat.

     Hyojoo is an addition to Seolhee's friends. They were an intern together and decided to take up their fellowship program at the same hospital.

     "Oh, I thought you were still operating," Seolhee says.

     "No, the surgery got moved," Hyojoo replies. She impales her fork in her salad, catching the lettuce and munching it. "Anyway, Chaeyoung called. She said she's near the area and will pay us a visit,"

     "Why did she tell you and not me?"

     Hyojoo shrugs. "I don't know. Maybe you weren't picking up,"

     With that, Seolhee digs through her coat pocket to check her phone. Upon seeing the three missed calls and two messages from her best friend, she nods. "Oh yeah," 

 

Seolhee wasn't even given at least a full hour for herself during her meal when one of her interns, Yixing, approached her.

     "What do you mean fighting?" Seolhee immediately stands up and walks towards the commotion in the hospital lobby.

    As soon as Seolhee gets there, she sees one of her intern, Gayeong, bickering with the Senior Nurse who has been there for the longest time.

     "What's the matter here?" Seolhee meddles.

     "Nurse-Know-It-All here thinks her prescription and diagnosis is better than mine," Gayeong says arrogantly, immediately gaining reaction from other nurses and doctors who are near enough to hear her answer.

     That also made Senior Nurse Jang gasp. "No," Seolhee says firmly upon looking at Nurse Jang's reaction. "No, Doctor Im Gayeong. You did not come here to disrespect our senior nurse who has been here before you even graduated high school. Stop with your arrogance and apologize to Nurse Jang," Seolhee says, trying her best not to shout at her intern.

     "But Dr. Shin, I'm just doing my job," Gayeong cries.

     "Is disrespecting the nurses here and being rude a part of the job?" Before Gayeong opens to answer, Seolhee speaks. "No, that is not part of the job. Fine, you disagree with Nurse Jang, settle that like a doctor, not like a spoiled brat whose daddy didn't give her a pony for her birthday. You're embarrassing me," Seolhee points at her. "And you're embarrassing yourself. Now apologize,"

     Gayeong lets out a heavy breath and half-heartedly turns to the offended nurse. "I'm sorry," she says, mumbling the words.

     Seolhee sighs and apologized to the nurse before ordering Gayeong to call Yixing, Yejun, and Baekhyun and meet her at the back of the hospital.

 

When the four interns arrived at the empty parking lot of the hospital, Seolhee couldn't help but stare at Baekhyun. His hair is all gelled up today and he looks neat, so professional, and so charming. It was a very nice view that Seolhee had to clear , she reminds herself that she is supposed to be angry.

     "I don't know why you guys have so much entitlement in you that you have the guts to make a scene and disrespect a nurse like that. I don't know, was it the way you were raised? Were you given everything you wanted since you were a kid? I don't know, and I don't care," Seolhee says, her anger quickly coming back.

     "Excuse me Doctor Seol," Baek

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter