Brighter Than The Sun (Hwasun)

Mamamoo Ships Oneshots

A/N: This wasn't originally the Hwasun prompt I was supposed to write. Hence, this might sound a bit rushed. This was more of a oneshot that I wanted to publish to ease me out of my frustrations but wanted to share it as well. 

 

------

 

Hyejin felt refreshed after a long shower. It had been a long flight to the States and she was ready to doze off in their hotel room.

The other side of the shower room door was awfully quiet. This was suspicious because the other three members were chatting away after dinner before she hopped in to wash up. Maybe they were too tired as well.

She slipped on a short nightie and a silk robe before heading out. But then she opened the door and suddenly all eyes were on her. Usually, this doesn’t phase her but Wheein and Byul looked irritated and Yong…well she couldn’t really read what the leader was feeling.

Yong’s gaze soften and reached a hand out to her. Hyejin took it and let herself be guided to sit on her lap.

“You guys are making me nervous, what is it?” 

Wheein was the one who lifted the phone she was holding and faced it towards Hyejin. It took a while to focus on the title but a mild shock ran through her when she read the words that accused her of going too far with her last festival performance.

Yong’s arms around Hyejin tightened and the maknae felt kisses on her shoulder while she quietly read. She didn’t need to ask the others what they thought about the ‘journalist’s’ insight. It was already obvious from the moment she saw their expressions.

She handed the phone back to Wheein and controlled her frustration. 

Seriously, the nerve! If it’s not the way she looks, it’s what she does. She calls her craft her art and they call her trash in return. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply.

She’s been through this, she’ll get through this. Hyejin knows herself more now and she has her fans. She has Byul, Wheein, and she definitely has Yong.

When Hyejin opened her eyes, Byul offered her a soft smile and a squeeze on her hand. Wheein looked like she was about ready to lunge at her for a hug, wringing her hands together while Yong’s soft kisses on her shoulder and the back of her head never ceased.

She got off of her girlfriend’s lap and bent down to give Wheein a long hug, hearing her best friend sigh.

“They’re dumb Hyejinie.” her words were of consolation when Hyejin pulled away.

“You don’t have to prove anything to them, Hyejin-ah.” piped in Byulie when it was her turn to be hugged.

She smiled at both of them and then looked behind her at Yong. She still couldn’t read her but she didn’t have time to ask any questions before the leader requested that Byul and Wheein get back to their own room so they can all get the rest they needed.

"Let me just shower quickly and I'll join you in the bed after, okay?" 

Yong's voice was soft, soothing. Hyejin smiled at her and nodded before they walked separately.

The maknae strayed away from social media and instead opted to watch videos while she waited for Yong. She was so sleepy already but she wanted to talk to her girlfriend about the issue. 

She didn't have to wait long when Yong emerged from the bathroom and got cozy under the covers with her. They were like magnets, instantly seeking contact and scooting closer to eachother.

They faced each other, Yong's arm under Hyejin's head and their legs tangled. 

Hyejin watched Yong's eyes roam all around her face as if looking for the slightest break that could signal her emotions to flood out. Always there, ready to catch her if she falls.

She won't fall, Hyejin thought. She might be frustrated and hurt but the comforting hand on the small of her back and cold toes touching her shins are enough to keep her feelings at bay.

"How do you do it, unnie? How do you just ignore all the bad things they say?" she asked softly.

Yong sighed and tucked the loose hair behind Hyejin's ear before settling her hand on her girlfriend’s cheek.

"I learned what's important," she simply answered, which coaxed a questioning look on Hyejin so she continued, "their words don't hold the same weight as the encouragement my family tells me, Byul's, Wheein's."

Hyejin held her breath a little, patient to hear words that would give her the peace she needs.

Yong leaned in to kiss her softly then pulled away.

"Yours. I can't even hear their words when you tell me how much you love me or that you're proud of what I do."

"Yong…" Hyejin tried not to let her voice crack but the reminder hit her hard. She had them, she had people that know her more than anyone else. She only needs to believe them because she trusts them to keep her in line if needed as well. 

"But of course I contacted my lawyer and the producers in that show for protection. I am still your leader." Yong confessed, shrugging and making Hyejin laugh lightheartedly. 

Hyejin kissed her once on the cheek then on the nose then finally, deeply kissed her. She relished the safe feeling that came with the way their lips moved against each other's.

They were both breathless when they pulled away and neither knew when Hyejin moved but she ended up half on top of Yong.

"I love you, Jinnie. Shine as bright as you want, I'll always be rooting for you." 

Hyejin's tears threatened to fall again. Here was her girlfriend, her sun, letting her know in her own way that she's her light. 

She kissed Yong again, her lips lingering for a few seconds.

"I love you too, Yong."