Between Spring and Summer

Wenrene Seekers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Unnie, what's your favorite season?"

Wendy suddenly takes a look at Seulgi and Irene who's talking at her side. They are currently at the hillside near their school where they always hang out. The wind suddenly blew and she could almost smell the beautiful spring season. As usual, Wendy is reading one of her favorite books while lying in the green grass. She takes a glimpse and Irene suddenly smiles while looking at her sketch pad.

"Ahm, when cherry blossoms bloom." Irene answered.

Seulgi pointed. "Ah! When they are in full bloom?"

Irene shook her head. "Not really."

Seulgi's brows furrowed while holding her pen.

"Between spring and summer, isn't it?" Wendy mumbled.

Irene and Seulgi both looked at her when she answered that. It makes her shy because she suddenly speaks.

Wendy remembered when she needed to transfer school to Daegu from Seoul where she came from because of the conflicts with her parents at work. As the usual introvert person as she is, Wendy is a bit nervous because she doesn't know anyone there. Her first school year seems fine but she doesn't make many friends as she expected. But at least they are nice to her.

She is walking her way to school for the closing ceremony when she suddenly looks at the cherry blossoms. The pathway to her school has cherry blossom trees. It is almost summer and the cherry blossoms are blooming beautifully. Wendy stopped walking for a while when she saw Irene, looking at the cherry blossoms, smiling.

Irene is a very popular girl in their school. Her class is next to Wendy. She thinks that Irene is really beautiful even next to the cherry blossoms. Every boy in her class is making a fuzz whenever Irene passes their classroom. She is a bright student. A singer and a dancer. She's also a member of an art club. And there is Wendy, looking at her from afar, secretly admiring her every move. She is not immune by charm that Irene brings.

Wendy thought that it was silly of her. How can a girl like Irene can actually know her existence? Wendy suddenly stepped back when Irene looked at her. She was caught off guard. She immediately looked away, refraining herself from embarrassment.

Wendy! Irene just caught you staring at her!

Wendy stumbled when she already heard the school bell. She also saw Irene almost jump from being startled. She ran as fast as she could.

Really Wendy? Even on the last day of the school year, you're late?!

Wendy almost trips when she notices that Irene is just beside her, running with the same speed as her. They are not the only ones who are late, she can also see other students running, preventing themselves from being late, too. Irene and Wendy are both panting, with their hands on their knees, inhaling all the oxygen they can breathe.

"We're almost late, aren't we?"

Still panting, Wendy looks at Irene who's smiling between her panting. Her heart is beating so fast that she doesn't know if it is because of running or because of the girl she admired for the longest time.

"Y-yeah."

Is this for real? Irene is talking to me!

Wendy brushes her hair up, fixing her bangs that almost meet her eyes. She can feel the sweat that is produced at her back and her nape from running earlier.

Irene is about to speak again when Seulgi suddenly calls her.

"Unnie! Why are you late? Let's go to our seats."

Before Wendy can speak again, Irene walks together with her best friend Seulgi. Here I am again, looking at her back, walking away from me. Wendy went to her designated seat, smiling a bit, knowing that Irene might actually know her existence now.

Wendy remembered when she was in second year of high school, She was stopping herself from smiling, more like grinning as she could see her name in Class 2B list. Same class as Irene! She cleared before entering the classroom but before she could step inside, a hand grabbed her wrist.

"Yah! Wendy, why did you leave me?"

Wendy chuckled when she saw Joy tearing up a bit. Joy is a friend and a classmate in her first year but if her guess is right, she's still in Class C.

"Yah. We are still seeing each other after class."

Wendy and Joy are both members of the glee club and it is part of the requirements to have a meeting every after class.

"But I want to see you every time!" Joy whined at her.

She patted her head though she's way taller than Joy. She pouted and Wendy found her cute while doing that.

"I'm just in a class next door. We can still eat lunch together." Wendy told her.

"Really?"

"Of course." While assuring her she smiled when Joy finally smiled. She hugged Wendy tight, almost choking the girl.

"I love you Wendy."

"Yeah, yeah. Let me go now." She tapped Joy's arms around her.

"I don't want to."

Still struggling, Wendy keeps on removing but Joy is stronger. "Yah! Class is about to-"

"Excuse me."

Joy and Wendy stopped when someone coughs on their back. Wendy almost froze when she saw Seulgi together with Irene.

"You're blocking the way." Seulgi told them. Wendy then immediately grabbed Joy to the side.

"I'm sorry." She said while looking down.

Wendy can't look at Irene. She felt embarrassed about what happened. She glares at Joy and she just gives her a 'whatsoever' look. After Irene and Seulgi entered the classroom, she told Joy to go to her own classroom because it is almost time for the first period. Joy still refuses but Wendy tells her to. Making sure that Joy enters the Class C, she entered the classroom, too. She was looking for an available seat and she immediately found an empty seat beside the window. She walks towards it and she doesn't know if she should go ahead because she saw Irene, sitting beside the empty seat.

Wendy carefully sat down, almost not breathing. She almost gasped when Irene looked at her, her brows furrowed then quickly gone, too.

"Hey, I know you." Irene told her.

Wendy felt that her heart skipped a beat, pumping way too loud than before. She cleared . She doesn't know what to reply.

"We ran during the closing ceremony, right?" Then she giggles. Revealing her perfect pearly white teeth. "It was so funny that time. I have never run that fast before."

Wendy is astounded. "Y-you remember me?"

Irene nodded. "Ahm, yeah. You're a member of the glee club, right? I saw your club performance at the last school festival. It was one of the best I have ever seen."

Her eyes blink. Did I hear it right? Did Irene just say she knows me? Does she actually know me? She even complimented me!

"Ahm-"

But before Wendy could reply, Seulgi interrupted them.

"Unnie, do you have an extra pen? I forgot mine."

Irene suddenly looks at her right. "Really, Seulgi? On the very first day, you don't have a pen?"

"Unnie, please?"

Irene just shakes her head, smiling while looking for a spare pen in her pencil case.

Wendy secretly smiles. Today is the day that she officially announced that Irene finally knew her existence. She already knows her name and they are now in the same class for the whole year! She is so happy but she hasn't had the chance to talk to her because she's always with Seulgi. Wendy is blaming her shyness because she can't make an actual topic to start a conversation with Irene because before she could do that, Seulgi abruptly approached.

"What? So you haven't talked to her?"

Joy and Wendy are in their club room. Their daily meeting is already finished but here they are still talking despite the sun that almost set. Wendy looked outside the window. She can view the school field.

"Well, just casually talking but not at the point we're telling each other stories. We're just greeting each other. That's all."

"But why?" Her brows furrowed.

"Ahm, I don't want to be rude but Seulgi... I noticed that she always kinda interrupts us. Irene is sitting between us."

Joy's eyes widened. "She might be jealous then."

"What? That's so childish. I don't think so." Wendy closed the window when the wind blew. "Is it wrong for Irene to talk to someone? Besides, she's just like that when Irene is talking to me. In others, she's okay. I felt like an outcast." She whined at Joy.

Joy patted her back. "It's okay. I'm always here for you. I'm always a friend in need."

Wendy fixed her bag preparing to go home. She also makes sure that all the windows are closed and everything is unplugged.

"Hey, why don't I invite Seulgi to our club?" Joy told her after they closed their club room. They are now walking outside their building.

"Dude, as far as I know she's a painter not a singer."

Joy linked her arms to her. "Well, you might know, she can actually sing."

Wendy thought about Seulgi singing. "I don't know."

They arrived at the bus stop. "I'll invite her to lunch then you can invite Irene to lunch!" Joy squealed and she immediately blocked her ears.

"What? You're crazy. Why would I do that?"

She patted her shoulders. "Because you can."

Wendy has no idea why she trusted Joy. Is it because she is greedy or she is just doing what a normal classmate can do to her classmate? This is a nerve-wrecking, scarier feeling when she transferred school. She puts her lunchbox on her table as the school bell rings.

"Seulgi! Someone's looking for you."

One of her classmates shouted. Wendy saw Joy outside their room, winking at her. She saw how confused Seulgi was when Joy suddenly linked her arm to her. Seulgi is refusing to walk away from the classroom but Joy is telling her something. After listening, she suddenly shouts.

"Unnie, you can eat without me!"

What? Did it work?

Wendy is surprised because Seulgi actually let Joy tag her out of nowhere. Irene is just scratching her head, still confused with what happened. Wendy cleared , approaching the girl.

"Ah, I-irene." Her voice almost cracked. She is thankful that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter