Chapter 2 : Su-Ryeon's way to freedom

Rewriting the Stars, A penthouse Logryeon fanfic

Once Su-Ryeon reaches her bedroom, she texts Yoonhee and asks her to meet. She has to reveal the truth to her friend. Yoon Hee is utterly shocked to know that Suryeon is Seol Ah's mother and that she first approached her with a purpose. Suryeon had never intended to hurt her but she understands her reaction and waits for her to calm down. 

Meeting Logan and deciding to team up with him made Suryeon realize how lonely and scared she always has been. Now she wishes Yoon Hee would understand her and join her too. 

As Yoonhee is trying to get ahold of herself, Su-Ryeon’s phone rings. It’s  Logan. Suryeon moves away from Yoon Hee to take the call discreetly. Logan's voice is full of worry on the line. He just left a while ago but he can't seem to stop worrying about Suryeon. 

"Run to me if DanTae tries something. Actually, I am gonna be near Hera Palace anyway tonight. Just 5 minutes away. If he tries something, you just send me a blank message. I'll get you out of there unscratched" Logan says in one breath without stopping.

Suryeon is moved and to be honest, she has no idea how to react. She does not remember the last time someone worried about her so genuinely. Dantae pretended to be the perfect husband but he wasn't warm or genuine. Suryeon always knew something was up with him; she just didn't know what. Even the twins had given her the cold shoulder in the last few years but here this stranger is refusing to go back to his hotel just to make sure she remains safe. 

Suryeon assures Logan she is fine and convinces him to go to Fairmont to rest. She turns around after the call ends but Yoon Hee is long gone by then.

 

The next day, Suryeon is already confused and sad since Oh Yoon Hee refuses to cooperate with her to uncover the truth behind Seol Ah's death when she receives the alarming news. Someone had declared Hyein dead.  "It is your doing right?, you son of a " Suryeon curses in anger. She calls Logan immediately and he tells her that he received a call from Joo Dan Tae’s representative earlier, requesting him to go to Jakomo to review the land for collateral. Suryeon asks him to go to the appointment first, she will join them soon.

 

Later in the afternoon, Logan is discussing his investment with Dan Tae and Yoonhee in front of Jakomo.  Shim Su-Ryeon observes them from afar. Logan gave off such a professional and proper aura, so unlike that worried person who asked her to run him not too long ago. She takes a short moment to let her eyes linger on Logan before deciding to make her grand entrance.

"It's been a while Logan" upon hearing her voice, he turns around. 

She is dressed in an all-black pants suit, ready to humiliate Joo DanTae of course. Dantae is taken aback and totally shocked to see his wife there. 

Logan explains to Su-Ryeon that he is here to survey the land for collateral and She clarifies that this land belongs to her daughter, as planned. Logan is genuinely interested to see out how Joo Dan Tae will react. Huh sweet revenge, right?

Dan Tae claims that their daughter died six months ago and he became the rightful owner of the land. But Suryeon doesn’t seem to share his opinion, as she asks him mysteriously if he is sure that their daughter has indeed died…

Joo Dantae takes his wife aside and Yoonhee has trouble grasping the situation. Logan on the other hand bores his eyes at the back of the bickering couple. He doesn't know why exactly but he does. Is he jealous? He scoffs at the thought but still, he can’t say he is happy that Dantae has his hand on her Su-Ryeon’s back.

Soon a man in a suit opens the trunk of an ambulance and a young girl in a wheelchair appears on the scene. DanTae thinks he will go crazy with rage when he recognizes his wife's daughter, Hyein.  This is the first time Logan sees Hyein. He can't help but think that she is cute.....She reminds him of Seol Ah and soon his mood darkens.

Suryeon asks Hyein to greet her "dad".  Hyein is confused. Is this man really her father? He has these eyes full of hatred and contempt that send a chill down her spine.  Meanwhile, Dan Tae is burning with rage inside...Shim Suryeon actually dared to pull that kind of trick on him?

Hyein clearly states that she doesn’t plan to give her land to anyone and Dantae is left speechless. Logan is enjoying the whole situation and he sure is amazed at Su-Ryeon’s wits.  "Behind her fragile exterior, she is a woman of intelligence who can be merciless if you cross her '' Logan concludes.

He decides to deliver the finishing blow next by scolding Dantae like he is a student who failed his exam, expressing his disappointment in him for trying to put fake collateral.

Dantae is embarrassed. As he is trying to mumble some excuses, his wife talks to his business partner again, making it clear to him that nothing can be done to the land without the consent of her daughter.

Now her work is done and she is victorious so she decides to leave. She crosses paths with Logan, their eyes meet for a short moment. He can see the glint of victory dancing in her dark eyes. But he can also discern something else. Trust? As if she was telling him “we” did it.

But he wasn’t the only one to get her secret message, standing afar, Oh Yoonhee is eyeing them with growing suspicion.

Logan and Suryeon had secretly arranged a flight for Hyein to the US. Suryeon asked Logan to fetch Hyein since she had urgent matters to take care of. He didn’t ask what it was, she knew how to reach him if needed and he trusted her to reach him if something happened.

Hyein was waiting for her mother when the ahjussi she had seen earlier today entered her room with another man. He approaches her and offers his hand to her.

"Hello again, Hyein. I didn't introduce myself earlier. My name is Logan Lee. I am your mother's friend and I'm here to accompany you to the airport. And this right here is Mr. Hong. He'll be driving us to the airport". Secretary Hong starts taking out the luggage after giving Hyein a polite smile.

Hyein only lets out a small "Thank you" but it is clear that she was expecting to see her mother and seeing two strangers had slightly unnerved her. "Will mom... come?" Hyein asks with hope in her eyes. 

Logan senses her discomfort and says "Something very urgent came up and your mom had to go take care of it. She was very upset that she couldn't make it. But I'll take good care of you for her today, okay?". 

His voice is soothing and his gaze is soft. A stark contrast to the cold and ruthless stare of her so-called "father". She nods and smiles faintly at him. Logan help her into her wheelchair gently.

On the way to the airport, Secretary Hong couldn't help but feel amused at the sight in his rearview. Hyein fell asleep in the car with her head on Logan's shoulder. Logan was trying his best not to move too much or even breathe too loudly since he did know she had a long tiring flight ahead of her so she might as well take the power nap. Secretary Hong chuckles but at the same time feels sad because she resembles SeolA so much.

Logan is already thinking of his next move.  After Hyein, he needs to convince Suryeon to move to the hotel for the time being. She can't go to Penthouse after what they pulled today. It was too dangerous. But what he doesn't know is that Suryeon would soon head to the Penthouse herself to meet with her husband...

 

Su-Ryeon had just witnessed Yoonhee trying to destroy Seol Ah’s necklace. She wanted to call Logan to tell him everything, but she restrained herself. She needs to collect more evidence first. Looking out the car’s windows, she notices the sun is setting already.  She is exhausted both physically and mentally and yet, the worst is yet to come: she has to confront the devil.

Later, Dan Tae storms into the Penthouse screaming his wife's name. He is burning with anger and humiliation. He finds Suryeon sitting calmly on the patio of the bedroom, looking at the night view. He laughed in bewilderment: she was waiting calmly for him when even running to the other end of the earth wouldn't be enough. 

They argue of course and the situation escalates quickly when he slams her into the bedroom dressing table. "Where have you hidden that brat?" He asks. But Suryeon didn't come to the penthouse to reveal her daughter's whereabouts. She confronts him and in anger Dantae throws her at the other end of the room. She lands on the sofa and then falls on the floor, cracking her lips open.

Dantae kneels and caresses Su-Ryeon's hair, making her shiver. She is repulsed by his touches; her disgust obvious on her face. He tells her that she should be punished for disobeying her husband and starts strangling her. Suryeon was caught off guard; she had not expected him to actually try to kill her, at least not now. 

As her vision becomes blurry she recalls why she decided to stay here although Logan warned her that Dan Tae was dangerous. She did it for her children. So she must fight and stay alive.

She barely manages to grab a bird-shaped decoration and slams it in the head of the monster choking her..

Dantae collapses on the floor. As she tries to run away, he grabs her ankle, making her jump in terror. But she manages to break free and run for her life. 

She rushes downstairs in hopes to flee the place with her children. But she didn't have time because Dantae was coming after her. Unfortunately, she had to run with just the assurance that Ms. Yang will look after the children for her and call her if something happens. 

Her head is spinning as she runs; she has no idea where she'll go. She has no friends who would protect her, no place that would take her in. She spent the last 20 years in the dollhouse of her husband; running in circles and achieving nothing. Suddenly she remembers Logan's words, "Run to me,". The next thing she knows she is banging at the door of his suite. 

Logan opens the door clearly annoyed by the banging but his expressions change the moment he opens the door.  In the hallways stands a trembling, scared and hurt Shim Su-Ryeon. He quietly invites her in but she stumbles in the doorway. Logan barely catches her to prevent her from hitting the floor and helps her to the sofa in the living room.

He knows he won't get any answers out of her in this state. Besides, Logan has a good idea of who the culprit could be. But he first needs to make sure Su-Ryeon is alright. He goes to his bedroom and comes back with a small blanket which he wraps around Su-Ryeon's shoulder.  

But she continues to shiver, breathing heavily. A nasty bruise is starting to form on her delicate cheek and her lower lip is cracked. Logan can't restrain himself any longer. He sits beside her, wrapping his arm around her back. "It is okay, you are safe now". Logan rubs her arms and tries his best to comfort her but the more he looks at her, the more angry he is at that greedy and at himself too.  He should have convinced her to see Hyein off at the airport and then take her to his suite earlier.  He'll give Joo Dantae hell for this, he just knows he will.

When Su-Ryeon calms down a little, she tries to talk "He tried..to ..kill..monster". Logan pats her head gently, "I'll make him pay for putting his hands on you. I will not let this go. I promise". Suryeon nods, weirdly enough her heart is racing and she is suddenly aware of his touches. He is patting her head affectionately with one hand while his other hand rests on top of her hand. 

"You are injured, do you want me to call a doctor ?" He asks worriedly, interrupting Su-Ryeon's chain of thoughts. She just shakes her head in the negative.

Su-Ryeon tries to distract herself from the affectionate man sitting next to her, trying his best to comfort her. When she calms down, she gets up and goes over to the windows. She removes her ring, clenching her fist in anger. Joining her by the windows, Logan tries to make her feel better by talking about Hyein, reassuring her that her daughter has got on the plane just fine and that she would call her once she arrives in the US. Su-Ryeon thanks him.

“I’m only making up for what I couldn’t do for Seol Ah” explains Logan.

“Are you all right, not saying goodbye to your daughter ?”

Su-Ryeon avoids looking at him, she already feels the tears welling in her eyes again, her guilt is choking her up.

“I don’t think I would have been able to let her go if I saw her, Seol Ah, Hyein, and even Seokhoon and Seokyung...if they had a better mother none of this would have ever happened” 

"You are a victim yourself; he killed your husband, displaced your daughter, and controlled your life for 20 years. You are as much a victim as Seol Ah " Logan answers back, wishing she wouldn't blame herself. He pulls her into a hug. Su-Ryeon cries her heart out in his embrace. His soft tone echoes in her ears. "When it's over, I'll take you to Hyein '' pulling her away to look at her face, he offers to take her to the US.

"Su-Ryeon-ssi...Let's go to the US together. I'll help you get away from Dantae and start a new life." Logan’s proposition is tempting but is she allowed to dream about such a thing?

"Do you think...I deserve to live a new life? I am no victim...My own children tormented my dead daughter before she died…” 

“I can’t forgive myself,” says Su-Ryeon, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"It's not your fault, no matter how much you blame yourself. It's not your fault. I'll make you happy. I will make sure to hold my last promise to Seol Ah. I'll do it."

There it is again, the flood of warm mushy feelings that fills her chest but suddenly her phone rings. It’s Dantae. Forgetting everything, Su-Ryeon cuts his call in disgust and anger.

Logan does not want to admit it but he is weirdly happy that Su-Ryeon cut the call of the jerk but at the same time he is amazed at his shamelessness. How dare he try to call her after treating her like this? He clenches his fist in anger but he has to channel this anger the right way. 

He sighs, "Get some rest, please. I'll send a doctor for the complete physical checkup. I'll be back in a few hours after the physical exam is over".  Suryeon agrees and he calls a doctor as he walks out. 

"I will return this to you. I will return this two folds, you bastard. Just wait" Logan thinks as his elevator moves downwards.