Chapter 15 : Logryeon's Payback

Rewriting the Stars, A penthouse Logryeon fanfic

The next morning.

 

They were enjoying the stillness after breakfast until Su-Ryeon checked her phone... and suddenly raised on her feet “Dan Tae is coming here...he is very close” She makes Logan stand up “You have to leave...right now”

“No...I won’t...I won’t go without you, you come with me” but Su-Ryeon is frantic.

“If he sees you we are both finished...if my plan goes to waste...I… will be miserable the rest of my life, please leave”

“If you are harmed...I won’t be able to take it…I will die” she thinks while Logan stares at her. But Logan doesn’t have time to flee anymore. Dan Tae is just a few minutes away… Su-Ryeon looks around her, panicked. “Of course...the hatch,”

She opens it quickly. “Go in there and don’t move” Logan is shocked but he complies.

She had barely closed it and covered it with the carpet when Dan Tae entered the country house.

 

Logan tries to make out their conversation, but it’s a little muffled. Su-Ryeon suggests that he sell everything he can to be able to honour the payment. He then hears both his name and Yoonhee’s. Above him Su-Ryeon flinches when Dan Tae throws his glass violently on the floor. “That witch...she was in cahoots with that little bastard...the audacity to ask us to pay that hefty sum by today...she is insane !”

Dan Tae stood up. Getting close to her...and the corner of the hatch she forgot to cover correctly with the carpet. Her heart races. If he noticed she found out about the cellar...what would happen ? She covers the spot with her feet, uneasy.

“You look tense today, honey” he says, calm again as if he didn’t throw a tantrum just a minute ago. “By the way...when did you stop smoking ?”

Su-Ryeon scratches her head nervously. “Didn’t I tell you ? I stopped months ago because I started coughing. He encircles her waist. “I see...I didn’t notice until now...well you need to take care of yourself...you look really tired”

Su-Ryeon manages to smile “Yes I will...thank you... you’re adorable”

 

Logan is going through hell right now. What if that jerk lay his dirty hands on her ?

Few minutes later, the trapdoor opens and Su-Ryeon appears.

“It’s okay now he is gone” she says with a strained smile. Logan put his hands on her shoulders. “Are you alright ? nothing happened ?” Su-Ryeon shakes her head “I’m fine...let’s get ready, I need to meet the agency manager today, you go back to the hotel and you don’t move from here”

“Come with me...you can’t stay here anymore” he says, tightening his hold on her shoulders. Su-Ryeon shakes her head before replying.

“No...If that game is over only when one of us ends up dying, then be it...I won’t avoid it anymore !” She tries to push him to the door but he won’t budge. She raises her eyes and witnesses coldness in his eyes again. She takes a step backward, her heart starting to race.

“How can you say that so easily ? Don’t you understand that you only have one life ?” He says, his voice trembling, before grabbing her by the shoulders again.

“When this person comes back and understands that you betrayed him...he will try to kill you again...just listen to me and come to the hotel” Su-Ryeon pushes him away after he ends his sentence “No ! I am not going anywhere...if I run away with you...you could end up getting involved...I already told you it was out of the question...how many times should I repeat myself ?!”

Logan grabs her again, his voice going higher, startling her.

“You don’t understand anything ! There wasn’t a single day I didn’t regret it...not being able to protect you...For going first to the airport...I should have dragged you along...it drove me insane each single day for the past 8 months ! if something happens again...I will…” Logan stops mid-sentence.

“No...just don’t say it...I don’t want to hear it...I will do as you say so just don’t say it” prays Su-Ryeon silently. She gives in, her eyes full of tears.

“I will come...I need to leave soon to be on time. Once I’m finished I will pack up, I will join you in the afternoon, I promise” After she has finished talking, she kisses him before pushing him to the door. He turns around a last time.

“Su-Ryeon-ssi...thank you for being alive” says Logan before getting out.

 

Busying herself packing some belongings after she got back, Su-Ryeon is in deep thought.

Earlier, she met with Mr.Hwang Geum Bong, Golden Agency’s manager and paid him before asking him to sell the properties under her name.

She is so entranced she jumps in fright when the door opens suddenly and Joo Dan Tae barges in the living room. Her phone didn’t beep at all, he was supposed to be still at the Penthouse... What happened ?

“You...why ?” Joo Dan Tae gets his phone out. “How I am here and you didn’t get any notification ? that chip...I found it” He closes the distance between them and shoves her on the couch.

“You...how dare you sell my land without my permission ?” Propping herself up, Su-Ryeon looks back at him “Why is it your land ? it’s under my name, so it’s mine”

He slaps her so violently she lands on the floor.He grabs her by the collar, making her stand up.

“You’re finally showing your true colors...so you indeed betrayed me 8 months ago...are you out of your mind ? Why did you do that ? Why ? I trusted you so much” he yells.

“I should be compensated for living in that woman’s shadows for so many years...I can’t rely on you, who knows what will happen ? I only took care of myself” Dan Tae shakes her.

“Where is my money ?” Su-Ryeon breaks into laughter.

“Imbecile...like I’d tell you” Frustrated, Dan Tae grabs her by the neck, dragging her behind him.

She bit Dan Tae out of desperation, Dan Tae released his grip, wincing.

“You little…” he is about to assault her again but she kicks him in the knee, making him lose his balance. Seizing the opportunity she goes behind him and twists his arm in his back before holding him down. But Dan Tae is stronger; he manages to free himself. He slams her on the wall, choking her.

“You witch, I will teach you a lesson...how dares you betray me ? Even pulling tricks on me” Su-Ryeon grabs his wrists, trying to free herself. She struggles with all her might, Dan Tae is on the verge of gaining the upper hand.

“I can’t die yet...I have my children...I haven't even reunited with Hye In yet...and I promised that person...please give me some strength...I have to live...” Su-Ryeon felt the rage and the adrenaline kicking in. Grabbing Dan Tae’s wrists she pulls him toward her. Thrown off balance by her sudden counter-attack Dan Tae stumbles forward. She knees him in the ribs as strongly as she could, cutting his breath short. She slid out of his grasp and ran to the door. His breath ragged, Dan Tae chases after her. “You ...wait '' She opens the door and lets out a surprised gasp when she falls directly into Logan’s arms who kicks Dan Tae aside. “Are you alright ?” Su-Ryeon is so dazed she can only nod.

 

“You rat...what are you doing here ?” says Dan Tae trying to raise. But Logan kicks him so violently on the chest he falls over again. Going over him, he starts to kick him violently in the ribs.

“Bastard..this time I will kill you once and for all” But Su-Ryeon grabs his arm from behind, stopping him.

“Please stop...We don’t have time ! let’s go !” Enraged, he kicks him one last time.

“You are lucky today I guess…” Logan grabs Su-Ryeon’s bag and walks to the door toward Su-Ryeon. Still wringing in pain on the floor Dan Tae laughs like a madman.

 

“I can’t believe this...chasing two women who look exactly the same....are you that obsessed with Shim Su-Ryeon ? Pathetic...still not over that stupid chick when she is already rotting six feet under...Rich brats like you have too much free time...” Dan Tae spat out, making Logan turn around, “Did you know ? That little died because you sided with her and gave her false hope ?” yells Dan Tae, laughing harder.

Logan walks toward him and crushes his hand under his foot, making him scream in pain “I will make you pay for this Joo Dan Tae, I swear...I will make sure your life is so miserable you’d wish you were dead” Throwing him a last glance he goes over Su-Ryeon and takes her hand before getting out.

 

When they get out the situation is bad. Secretary Jo and his team are running toward them.

He pulls her with him, running toward his motor-bike that was parked a few meters away out of sight. Hopping on it he handed her bag to her before putting a helmet on her head. “Climb on...quick !” he says, starting the engine. She climbs behind him, clinging to his waist.

Noticing they are trying to flee, Secretary Jo shouts orders while gesturing to his men to go to their cars. With Secretary Jo’s tailing them they zig-zag between cars on the road.

Turning around, Su-Ryeon’s heart jumps into her chest when she notices Secretary Jo is catching up to them. She pulls on Logan’s jacket screaming, her voice muffled by the wind “Logan ! Hurry up…” He accelerates, putting some distance between them, but Secretary Jo closes it easily again. Logan spots a train in the distance. It could be their chance…

Su-Ryeon crosses eyes with Secretary Jo as they turn at the next intersection.

She wonders what Logan is planning to do as they rush toward the railroad. She is completely panicked. They cross it just in time before the train passes. Logan stops the motorbike to Su-Ryeon’s dismay. She taps his shoulders, gesturing to him to get moving, but Logan doesn’t move right away. He looks above his shoulders in the direction of Mr. Jo and smirks, taunting him. Defeated, the man rubs his forehead nervously. Logan starts the engine again, definitely losing them.

Stopping a few streets away from Fairmont, Su-Ryeon comes down from the motorbike.

“Why did you come to the villa? You could have been caught ! Dan Tae is already dying to kill you ! didn’t we agree to meet at the hotel ?”

“I don’t care...I will risk my life to stay next to you...I already made it clear, no matter how hard you try to push me away I’m not leaving….Nothing matters to me except protecting you...Besides, if I didn’t come earlier, who knows what he would have done to you”

“And I already made it clear that I wouldn’t bear it if something happened to you too ! Do you think it was easy for me to avoid you all this time ? Think about what happened to the last person who tried to help me…if I didn’t try to get revenge...Na Ae-Gyo could be still alive...everything is my fault” She turns her head away, tears rolling on her cheeks.

Logan grabs her arms, making her face him again, but she doesn’t look back at him.

“No...you only did what any mother would have done...you lost your child in such a heartbreaking way...it is absolutely not your fault, but the people who tormented her...I’m sure Ae-Gyo would thinks the same... because she was a mother, she dreamt of a normal life for both Seok Kyung and Seok Hoon...and she wanted you to be free too…”

Su-Ryeon breaks into tears again.

“Look at me...I will always be on your side, I’m not leaving whatever you say...it’s definite, wherever you go I’m going too, even if it’s hell...so that plan of yours, let’s do it together as planned” he concluded, wiping her tears away.

 

Once back at the hotel he makes her sit down and tilt her head. A nasty bruise encircles her whole neck. You can even see the imprints of Dan Tae’s fingers. She winces when Logan puts his hand on it.

“Just wait here” he goes over the sink and wet a cloth with ice cold water, before sitting beside her, placing the cloth on her neck.

“Just hold it there...it won’t do much but it’s still better than nothing” Su-Ryeon nods.

“Thank you…” Logan looks in front of him, his eyes darkened by anger.

“I should have killed that bastard...I should have killed him 7 months ago…then nothing of this would have happened” Su-Ryeon places her hand on his.

“Don’t say things like this...we...we are almost there…” Logan takes her hand, his eyes are desperate.

“Promise me you won’t disappear again…”

“He is terrified...it’s my fault” ponders Su-Ryeon with sadness

“I promise you...I won’t do anything reckless...I won’t break your heart anymore”

“Good” he answers with a sad smile, caressing her hair.

Seeing him like this, she is now certain that he would put his words into action if what she saw in her dream last night ever happened.

 

At around 9.00pm they are waiting for the text message that would kick start their plan.

Su-Ryeon suddenly stood up.

“What’s wrong ?” he asks, worried.

“We almost forgot something really important...do you have some bandages here ?”

“What do you need that for ?” he answers, confused.

“You probably injured his hand earlier, remember ?”

“Oh...I didn’t even think about this” he stood up and went over to the bathroom, before coming back with what they needed.”

He held out his hand as she started wrapping the bandage around it.

He looked at her with admiration.

“Su-Ryeon-ssi is so clever…”

“You are not bad yourself” she answers, squeezing his hand. Her phone beeps indicating that Seo-Jin must have started on her side. Su-Ryeon heads for the door. Logan makes her turn around, hugging her tightly. Patting his back she says

“Everything will be alright...don’t worry too much, let’s go”

 

In the hotel hall as they are walking to the entrance Su-Ryeon brace herself.

“We don’t have much time...Na Ae-Gyo will die at 11.00pm, we need to finish everything by then”

They go their separate ways at the entrance. She needs to go to the warehouse, he has to meet Yoonhee near the Penthouse. He threw her a last glance before entering his car.

Logan reaches the meeting place he had agreed with Yoonhee. She gives him a bag containing Dan Tae’s suit. He changes rapidly, repulsed by the idea of wearing that jerk’s clothes, but he has no choice. After he is finished he joins Yoonhee.

“Where is Na Ae-Gyo ?”

“She is heading to the warehouse”

“Be careful you two…”

“You too” he answers before entering the car.

 

As Su-Ryeon is walking toward the warehouse, rain has started to pour minutes ago and her clothes stick to her in an unpleasant way. The headlight of the car Logan is driving flash behind her. She starts to run before throwing herself on the soaked pavement, landing brutally after rolling a few times.

Logan gets out of the car as she is speaking on the phone, calling for help. He takes the phone out of her hands and throws it away. Once he is done he reaches down for her immediately, making her stand up. He is losing his mind. Did she have to throw herself like this ? He supports her until they reach their car. Mr. Hong is already waiting in front. He sits her down on the backseat, worried sick.

“Are you alright ? Did you hurt yourself ?” he asks while checking if she is injured. She nods

“I’m fine...don’t worry”

“Thank goodness...I was so scared earlier” he starts to raise. “Mr. Hong...please her safely to the villa...” Su-Ryeon calls him back, grabbing his hand.

“Logan…” He kneels again in front of her, worried.

“What’s wrong ?”

“Dan Tae gave this ring to Ae-Gyo...use it as evidence” Logan takes the ring with reluctance.

“Be careful,” she says before kissing him. Mr. Hong averts his head, coughing.

“I’ll join you soon” he answers before closing the car door.

She places her hand on the windows and he reciprocates the gesture. He starts saying something, but the misty glass and the rain pouring outside prevents her from reading on his lips. “What are you saying...Logan ?” she asks as Secretary Hong starts the engine.

It’s something she has to hear absolutely, she is pretty sure of it.

She keeps looking at him until the car turns at an intersection and he disappears from her sight.

Once the car has turned at a corner, Logan repeat his words back

“I like you...Su-Ryeon-ssi…” Snapping out of his melancholy he enters his car. Looking at the ring she just gave him, he frowns “So tasteless...it belongs to the trash” he says, throwing the piece of jewellery over his shoulders.

 

Later, looking at the bag he just threw in the furnace burning, Logan removes his mask.

“Joo Dan Tae...you’re doomed…”

 

Su-Ryeon is pacing in the room with impatience. It’s almost 4.00am now... The door opens and Logan enters with Seok-Hoon following him carrying Rona in his arms.

Seok Hoon lay down the young girl on the sofa, asking if she will be fine.

“You trust me right ? I will definitely protect her, don’t worry...where is Seok Kyung ?”

“I told her to stay in the study room”

“Very good...the police will storm at any minute...don’t go home tonight”

Turning back to Logan she says “Take Seok Hoon and leave...I will take care of the rest from now”

Seok-Hoon hugs his mother, telling her “Mom...whatever you do...just remember I will always be on your side” before exiting the door.

Logan embraces her, kissing her forehead “You be careful you two...see you later”

She forces out a smile “Yes…please...You have to be here when he is arrested...I want you to witness his face for me when he is taken away in handcuffs” Logan nods and exits the room.

 

Su-Ryeon turns around as Rona is slowly coming back to her senses. After she explains her plan she opens the hatch and they go down together. In the dark cellar the time seems to slow down, it’s never-ending. She hears small footsteps above her and someone knocks on the trapdoor “Oh Yoonhee” wonders Su-Ryeon, she knocks back to notify her that everything is fine. Later someone else storms into the villa. Su-Ryeon hears her rummaging through the room. “Cheon Seo-Jin...unfortunately what you’re searching for isn’t here” she wonders, the shadow of a smile forming on her face . Su-Ryeon hugs Rona as the girl starts to tremble. “It will be over soon...don’t be scared”.

 

At least a few hours later the trap-door opens and police officers climb down, utterly shocked to find two women trapped in here.

Logan hasn’t slept a wink, waiting in front of the hospital. He stands up when the ambulance parks in front of the emergency department and paramedics get out with two stretchers.

Rushing toward Su-Ryeon he takes her hand. Exhausted, she looks at him.

“Why did you come here ? I told you everything will be fine” she says weakly as they are heading toward the emergency room.

“I was too worried...I had to see you,” he explains, anxious. One of the paramedics pushes him gently out of the way “Sir...we need to bring them for treatment right away…” Still holding his hand Su-Ryeon says

“I will be alright, so go over to the Penthouse...you promised me...you have to greet that jerk for me”

“I understand...I will be back soon”

 

Waiting in the Hera Palace hall, reading the newspapers, Logan turns around when he hears the commotion. Joo Dan Tae is struggling at the hands of the policemen.

“What do you mean I killed someone ?” Joo Dan Tae freezes on the spot when he notices him.

“Who are you ?” Logan stands up and looks at him, amused. Recognizing him, Dan Tae breaks into anger.

“Why is that bastard here ? What are you doing ?” Completely losing it, Dan Tae is trying to twist out of the cops grasp.

“Let go of me, imbeciles ! What are you doing here ? You punk...” shouts Dan Tae as Logan approaches him calmly. Smirking Logan says “It’s payback”

The cops begin pushing Dan Tae toward the exit. Turning his head around, he yells “Payback ? Payback my ...Hey...Logan ! Why is that son of a here ?!”

 

Logan bids him goodbye, still smiling, making him even more enraged.

“This time you’re finished Joo Dan Tae” says Logan as Dan Tae keeps screaming his name as the policemen drag him away.

 

Logan turns around and walks toward the fountain. “Did you see it, Seol Ah ? We finally managed to stop that monster…I might not see you again...but it made me happy...thanks to you I could keep on moving forward all this time...” He looks at his watch. Su-Ryeon should have been treated and be in the VIP room by now. He can head back.