Chapter 24 : A stormy night at the Penthouse.

Rewriting the Stars, A penthouse Logryeon fanfic

Around one hour after, Su-Ryeon flashes her eyes open, She had fallen asleep in Logan”s arms earlier. He is deep-asleep, his arms around her, resting on the head-rest and she wonders how he can sleep so uncomfortably as she spreads his arms apart to get up. He mumbles, his voice sleepy.

“Where are you going ?”

“I’m only going downstairs to drink something...I am thirsty” He shifts, trying to prop himself.

“I’ll go”

“No...you just lie down, I will be right back”

She makes him lie down on his side and kiss him on the cheek before standing up.

“Come back quick…” he mumbles as she puts on one of his shirt over her nightgown and gets out.

 

The occasional flashes of thunder cast a blueish light on Shim Su-Ryeon as she walk in the corridor

Seol Ah witnesses her mother getting out of the bedroom quietly.

“Mom...please...he is here...listen to me...Mom !” The occasional flashes of thunder cast a blueish light on Shim Su-Ryeon as she walks in the corridor with Seol Ah following after her, pleading.

“Mom...where is Logan ? you need to go back and you two need to call for help...Mom...that man is here !” Seol Ah tries a last time to make herself noticed. She is short on time. She reaches for a vase resting on a dresser and tries to slap it with all her might. Her mother freezes on the spot and turns in the direction of the vase.

“Yes...mom...look toward that dresser...you hid something here, remember ?” Seol Ah cannot stay here longer. She witnessed her mother opening a drawer on the dresser just below the vase.

“Mom...Logan...stay safe” she pleads before vanishing.

(Switching back to Su-Ryeon POV)

Suryeon is walking toward the staircase when a rush of cold air stops her in her tracks. She feels a chill going down her spine as a single petal of the flowers he offered her yesterday falls down on the dresser where their vase was resting on. Her mind is alert all of sudden. Something doesn’t feel right. Following her gut-feeling, she opens the third drawer and gets out a box containing a gun and a holster. She had bought it just in case. Something tells her that it’s time to wear it.

She throws a last glance toward the bedroom, hesitant.

“It’s probably nothing...but if there is something, I need to handle it myself” she concludes. As she takes the first step down, something clink in her pocket. She takes it out. It’s Logan’s watch . She always wears it. She had forgotten that she had put it in his pocket earlier when they were about to take their shower. She slides it on her wrist. She takes a deep breath and starts climbing down the staircase. Everything is silent. She pours herself a glass of water and gulps it down. When she puts back the bottle of water in the fridge she notices the lights aren’t working. She exits the kitchen cautiously and tries to put the lights on in the corridor but it doesn’t work . At the same moment, something moves in the corner of her eyes, making her flinch. She puts her hands on the holster on her thighs, moving in the living room. Only a single candle lit the whole room….

 

Su-Ryeon walks in the dimly lit room. Joo Dan Tae spins around in his armchair.

“Shim Su-Ryeon…”

“Joo Dan Tae…at least...I can kill you with my own hands” she answers back, walking toward him slowly. He stands up with a big smile.

“Do you think it will be possible ? I missed you...that punk too...so I invited myself in and prepared you two a surprise for your engagement...you really made me impatient up there...” he says walking calmly and stopping in front of her. She takes a step backward, ready to defend herself.

“I was wondering who was going to come first...no...no…” he says, shaking his head, laughing.

“Who would I enjoy killing first ? I have nothing to lose after all...I am actually slightly disappointed it was you...do you want to know why ?” Su-Ryeon looks at him with contempt but doesn’t answer. He starts walking around her, she follows him with her eyes.

“Because if I kill you first that bastard won’t be able to put up a fight...he is so obsessed...wouldn’t he give up on life right away if I kill you here...that’s so boring, I like a challenge”

“You’re insane” she replies, shaking her head. She gets out her gun from under her nightgown, aiming at him.

“If you intend to die...just die alone” she says, her voice icy. He leaps toward her, she pulls the trigger, but her bullet only grazes his cheek and finishes its course in a vase resting on the coffee table, making it shatter. He pushes her on the couch, pinning her down. He wipes away blood off his cheek. She tries to break free but he pins her harder on the couch, laughing.

 

At the same time, Logan flashes his eyes open, his heart racing. What was that sound ? He checks the tablet beside him. Nothing is broadcasted. Something is off. He gets up and gets dressed quickly before getting out of the bedroom. In the corridor he checks his phone.

He has at least 10 missed calls from the detective who handles Dan Tae’s case. He doesn”t have time to check it right now...He sends a quick text to the guards posted outside.

 

Meanwhile, Dan Tae is looking down at Su-Ryeon with a smile.

“Why would I be the one to die ?” he whispers while caressing her hair. Su-Ryeon shoots him a dark glance.

“Don’t touch me bastard…” she grit between her teeth, earning her a smile from Dan Tae.

“It’s so revolting having his hands on me...I need to free myself...I need to handle this before Logan wakes up…” she thinks while Dan Tae looks down at her. Raising her braid he placed a small kiss on it, making her quiver in disgust.

“How nice...It makes me sad to see you’ve become even more beautiful...I heard you earlier, you sounded so sweet...how about you redo it for me before I send you to the fiery pit ?” He encircles her neck with one hand “You bastards... having the time of your life in my Penthouse...How dare you defile my Hera Palace ? I always despised you to the core...do you know that your dad is responsible for my mother and my sister’s death ?! Your father, who owned Simoon Construction...took away my house...what’s so wrong with taking back what is mine ?...what happened to Aegyo was your fault too...cursed witch”

She spits in his face.

“The lot you were obsessed with...that lot n°27 in Cheonsoo...It always belonged to my father ! It was your family who was staying on the land without permission...Even that demolition’s accident was all Baek Jun Ki’s father’s doing ! My dad knew nothing...Aegyo... ” He shakes her, breaking into anger.

“Don’t make excuses ! Of course...the noble Shim Su-Ryeon will never admit to her wrong-doings until the end...I will just kill you right now and take care of that rat next....I can’t wait to see you render your last breath and see that cursed bastard cry his heart out…”

 

She throws him a dark glance. “I won’t die...and I won’t let you touch him with your filthy hands either” she thinks, rage welling up in her chest

Before he can react, she throws her arm forward toward his face. The face of the watch scrapes his brow bone, slashing it open. Dan Tae let out a scream, carrying his hand toward his face

“You ” he growls. Acting swiftly, she puts her hand on his side, twisting her fingers in his wound. Screaming in pain he recoils. She slides under him in the blink of an eye and grabs him by the hair, dragging him on the floor.

Su-Ryeon slams her foot on his wound, making him scream louder. Logan climbs down the staircase at the same moment and flattens himself against the wall a few meters away from the couch.

“You son of a ...until the end you have no ounce of conscience in you...always blaming others...when you’re only paying for your sins...I will stop relying on that faulty justice system...I will use your own methods, your inhumane methods...and end your life ”she says, twisting her foot on his injury. “Are you still obsessed with the name Joo Dan Tae ? When you stole it from an innocent ? Monster” she adds, contempt clear in her voice.

 

Su-Ryeon is trying to grab the gun that is resting on the couch when Dan Tae rolls on his side. Grabbing a fragment of the broken vase, he plunges it in her leg. The sudden pain radiated in her whole body. She falls down on the floor, her breath cut-short. She starts to crawl toward the gun that fled behind the sofa. Dan Tae is about to grab her by the ankle when Logan catches her hands, pulling her toward him. He dragged her behind the sofa, flattening himself against the backrest, Su-Ryeon resting between his legs. Dan Tae laughs like a madman.

“Logan...finally you’re here…I missed you too...” Logan stretches out his arm, trying to grab the gun. He finally manages to bring it closer with one finger, before placing his hand on it. He slides himself off Su-Ryeon and makes her lean on the backrest. She is breathing heavily, her face distorted by pain. He types something on his phone in a hurry and shows it to her.

“Dan Tae probably cut the power supply. Guards on their way to put it back on and alerted 911 and Police, Hang on” Crouching in front of her he rearmed the weapon. She places her hand on his arm. She tries to speak but he places a finger on her lips. They hear a clang.

“You know...I brought my own toy too...did you think I would come empty-handed ?” Logan is ready to stand up. Su-Ryeon shakes her head, terrified.

“No...please...don’t go…” she whispers. He turns toward her and places his hands on her cheeks.

“Nothing will happen...I promised you remember” he whispers back, looking straight at her.

“How long do you plan to play hide-and-seek ?” taunt Dan Tae. In response, a bullet rips out the air, shattering one of the windows, cracking the other next to it. The sudden rush of air blows out the single candle, plunging them into darkness. Logan stands up aiming his gun at Dan Tae.

Turning around Dan Tae also points his weapon toward him. The two start to walk around slowly around the resting area.

“You have no idea how much I am going to enjoy this...are you still going to put on that arrogant act once I put a few holes in your body ? Just enough to keep you alive as she crawls on that floor with the realization that it’s too late...that you’re going to leave her behind, like that rotten brat...like her stupid first husband...Shim Su-Ryeon...all the people you loved ended up dying...” sing out Dan Tae. Logan keeps his stare focused on Dan Tae.

“I should have listened to my instinct....but now he is here...I need to focus,” he thinks, trying to ignore the rage penting up in his chest.

 

Su-Ryeon hugs herself behind the sofa.

“It won’t happen again...it won’t” she tries to reassure herself as tears roll on her cheeks.

“Why aren’t you answering anything ? you always love to run your mouth usually...are you expecting the next part of the story ?”

“Joo Dan Tae” grits Logan between his teeth.

“Once you’re gone, I am going to take my time with the other toy I brought with me” Dan Tae says, breaking into laughter, lifting his T-Shirt and revealing a long serrated knife.

 

“Just shut that darn mouth...I’m warning you, just drop that gun and surrender...I won’t miss, even in the darkness” shouts Logan.

“I bet she is going to scream too...but from pain this time... ” yells Dan Tae, shaking his gun. His glance became icy all of sudden. In response, Logan placed his finger on the trigger.

“All the ones who betray me die...wasn’t it enough to seduce that ? How dare you covet my Penthouse after ruining my life... No one will take it from me...if I can’t have it...no one can...you understand ?! I will help you reunite with that stupid brat...what was her name again ? Min...Min Seol Ah”

 

Su-Ryeon jumps when Logan fires his gun, the bullet strikes Dan Tae in the shoulder, ending its course in the windows behind him. He falls on the ground, twisting in pain. Logan rushes to him as he tries to grab his gun again. He kicks it away. Su-Ryeon stood up with difficulty, taking support on the headrest of the sofa, at the same moment Logan reaches down to fetch Dan Tae’s knife but Dan Tae is quicker, he kicks him in the shin, throwing him off balance. Crawling until the windows he stands up and draws out his knife. Logan barely avoids his first attack. The blade grazes his cheek. Still struggling to regain his balance, he blocks Dan Tae with his arms as he tries to stab him again. Su-Ryeon limps toward the gun as the two men are struggling. “Shim Su-Ryeon...why did you get out ?” shouts Logan as Dan Tae breaks into laughter when he sees her.

“Leaving your little boyfriend out to die, Shim Su-Ryeon ?” taunts Dan Tae. Su-Ryeon spins around, her gaze determined. The pain in her leg is excruciating but she steady her posture, trying to control her fingers from shaking. Her window for action is small.

“Joo Dan Tae...I won’t stay put as you try to take someone precious from me again...I have to end this myself...You need to pay for the innocent lives you took” She thinks as Dan Tae is gaining ground. She closes an eye, inhaling slowly and pulls the trigger. The bullet lodges itself in Dan Tae’s arm after making its way in the small space that was remaining between both men’s arms. Dan Tae drops his weapon, wincing in pain. Overcoming his initial shock, Logan kicks him in the chest with all his might. Stunned, Dan Tae barely reacts when he kicks him again, making him crash into the window. The sudden impact on the already damaged glass weakens it further. Logan and Su-Ryeon both stare in shock as the glass crack with a sinister sound. Su-Ryeon let out a scream as Dan Tae topples over the windows.

 

As Joo Dantae tips over, time slows down in Logan’s mind. He only has a split-second to make his decision.

“That bastard should just die...and we will be free at least '' he wonders, Su-Ryeon’s scream of terror ringing in his ears, overtaking his whole mind. But the voice of his sister make its way in his mind, bringing him back to reality “Mom and I don’t wish you to become a murderer...so you should never, ever try to avenge us this way against that man...even if he tries to take away your happiness when it’s at its peak, you will never...or I won’t forgive you…” Logan rushes to the windows and catches hold of Dan Tae’s hand in extremis. Dan Tae’s start to laugh as he is swinging in the air, 100th floor above the ground. Logan winces in pain as the glass shards on the border of the window cut into his skin. He pulls him up with all his might. Dan Tae is wriggling under him as he maintains him down, a knee in his back.

“Will you let go of me you bastard ? don’t think this is over just because you pulled me up”

Su-Ryeon lifts the gun she retrieved and slams its grip on his head, knocking him unconscious. Logan looked up at her, surprised.

“Did you just ?”

“He wouldn’t shut up,” she explains, leaning against the coffee table. The police finally arrive shortly after along with the paramedics. A stunned Dan Tae is handcuffed.

“You brutes....I am wounded too !” he shrills. He is put on a stretcher as other paramedics surround Su-Ryeon and Logan. Dan Tae raises his head from the stretcher as he is about to be dragged away.

“You...you punk...why...why did you save me ?” Logan looks up at him.

“I just wanted you to enjoy your time in jail fully, son of a .”

Dan Tae lay down again.

“Stupid bastard...I don’t need your pity or your help”

Su-Ryeon catches hold of an invitation to Logan and her engagement.

“Help me up here” she asks Logan, trying to stand up. Puzzled, he helps her.

“Madam...Sir...you shouldn’t stand up…”

“It will just take a second” she answers, limping toward Dan Tae with the help of Logan.

“What do you want again?” Dan Tae asked when they stopped in front of his stretcher. Su-Ryeon pins the engagement invitation on his forehead.

“Too bad you won’t be able to come...I would have made you my guest of honor, Joo Dan Tae”

“You...…” Enraged, he tries to raise as Su-Ryeon takes a step backward, looking at him with a smile. His screams echo in the corridor as the paramedics drag him out. Su-Ryeon’s legs give out “Su-Ryeon...please, come quick...please” shouts Logan, holding her in his arms.

 

Logan sits beside her when the stretcher is finally put in the ambulance. He takes her hand. He has started to feel dizzy since earlier and he can feel the blood dripping on his skin under his T-shirt. The fabric sticks to his skin in an unpleasant way. Now that his adrenaline from earlier has dropped, the pain is coming back. He shakes off his head and focuses his gaze on Su-Ryeon. His heart skips a beat when a single drop of blood lands on his immaculate sneaker, tainting the white surface. He forces a smile and speaks to Su-Ryeon reassuringly.

“Everything is okay now...it’s over, we caught him…”

“Why didn’t you let them check your injuries too...I will ask the paramedic…” She holds out her hand to him, but he catches it.

“I am totally fine...it’s only a scrape...but he stabbed you. Once you’re taken into emergency I will get mine checked don’t worry...just rest until we get to the hospital now”

Su-Ryeon closes her eyes, letting herself get carried by the buzz of the car and the warmth of his hand. Logan is dizzy when he gets out of the ambulance following Su-Ryeon’s stretcher behind the paramedic. He follows them until she enters the emergency room. The whole room is spinning at this point. He let himself drop on the bench in front of the gates.

“Why isn’t anyone here ?” he wonders, wiping off his forehead, trying to ignore the nagging pain in his arm and on his chest.

“I need to move from here and get myself checked” he thinks, his eyelids heavy. He is about to close his eyes when he sees her. A woman is standing a few meters away from him. At first he has trouble recognizing her as his vision is blurry.

“S...Seol Ah ?...Seol Ah...is that you ?” Seol Ah tilts her head briefly. Looking at him sadly.

“Didn’t I tell you to take care of yourself ?” she says, shaking her head before turning back.

“Seol Ah...wait” taking support on the bench he manages to stand up and try to chase after her.

“Seol Ah...don’t go…” he pleads, leaning on the wall at the end of the corridor. He is in pain and feels nauseous. Withdrawing from the wall he was leaning on, he scans the area and finally spots her. He staggers toward her and crosses paths with a woman who is focusing on her phone. She turns around and calls out to him.

“Sir….are you okay ?” her face seems distorted when he looks at her. He is sweating and he has trouble keeping his eyes open.

“Sir…you look pale...do you want me to call someone ?” She tries to grab his arm, but he takes a step backward, looking in the direction of Seol Ah who finally stopped walking.

“No...I don’t have time for this...Seol Ah…” he mumbles. He doesn’t register his legs giving out. As he is on the floor the woman kneels in front of him.

“Sir...I am going to get someone, hang in there” The woman stands up quickly. Seol Ah also kneels in front of him.

“Seol Ah… Am I going to die ? Did you come to fetch me ?”

Seol Ah places her hand on his cheek and smile softly

“No way...I am not here to take you away...you need to stay with mom after all…”

“Seol Ah...I missed you so much...I am sorry...I couldn’t save you…I was too late...” he says

“What are you talking about ? You were the only one who was there for me...I was lucky to meet you...but you need to stay here and make her happy...but...promise me you will be too now...” Logan nods with difficulty, his eyelids heavy.

“Again a request to make someone happy ?” Seol Ah smiles.

She places her hand on his forehead, he closes his eyes, his pain lessening. He felt sleepy all of sudden. “Everything is going to be fine now” Seol Ah says as people rush toward him.