Chapter 25 : Is the nightmare finally over ?

Rewriting the Stars, A penthouse Logryeon fanfic

When Su-Ryeon wakes up she is already in a VIP’s room and a teary-eyed Seok-Kyung rushes to call for a doctor when she notices she has opened her eyes.

Hye-In and Seok-Hoon approach her bed.

“Mom...are you okay ?” asks Hye In with a sullen face. Su-Ryeon props herself on her elbows, leaning against the head-rest.

“I am fine...sorry to have worried you…”

“As long as you’re okay...” answers Seok-Hoon with a smile. He adds.

“Did that man get arrested ?”

“He was arrested on the premises...but since he was injured too he was probably carried to a hospital too until he is better...I will check with the inspector who handles his case...you all don’t worry about this matter anymore” She searches through the room.

“Where is Logan ?” she asks.

“Logan is…” starts Seok-Hoon but he is cut mid-sentence by the doctor entering the room behind Seok-Kyung.

The doctor explains to her that thankfully her injury is not serious and that she will be able to be discharged either tomorrow or in 2 days maximum.

She tries to stand up as soon as he is gone, but Seok Hoon stops her.

“No...mom, you need to lie down”

“Where is Logan ?”

Her three children look at each other but don’t answer. She repeats her question, her voice trembling.

“Logan is under observation...he collapsed as soon as you two were transported here…”

Su-Ryeon lift from her bed again.

“What...I need to see him right now” her son grabs her by the shoulder, pleading.

“Mom...please”

“Let me go...I beg you...I have to see him” but Seok Hoon makes her lie down again.

“Logan is alright….you will see him later. You have to rest now. You are injured.”

Su-Ryeon nods reluctantly and lies on her side. But she has no intention to stay still.

As soon as her children are gone, she raises again. She strips off the IV from her wrist. She feels slightly nauseous as she stands up. Ignoring the throbbing pain in her leg, she grabs a crutch and limps toward the exit.

“How am I supposed to find you Logan ?” she wonders as she is wandering in the VIP corner of the hospital, reading the nameplates on each room. She stops a nurse in one of the corridors.

“Could you check with your service where a patient is ?” she asks. The nurse looks at her from the top down before answering.

“Aren’t you a patient yourself ? you look injured...you should rest...I will take you back to your room, Madam” the nurse tries to grab her arm, but Su-Ryeon steps backward.

“I am perfectly fine. Just check where is the patient Logan Lee for me”

“But Madam…” the nurse tries to argue, Su-Ryeon almost snaps at her.

“Just tell me where he is !....please...and call the person in charge for his treatment too...I ask of you” The nurse sighs after hearing her words.

“Please wait a minute” she answers before turning around and going toward the front desk of the service. She talks briefly with her colleague before coming back to Su-Ryeon.

“Please follow me...I already asked my coworker to call the doctor in charge as well. He will arrive shortly. Su-Ryeon stops in front of Logan’s room. She has the urge to barge in here. But she needs to be made aware of his state first. She put her hand on the door longingly.

“Logan…” footsteps warn her that someone is approaching, she turns around. The doctor greets her before explaining Logan's state.

 

“When he was brought here he refused to be treated right away. Thankfully a passerby noticed he was pale. He collapsed in front of her. The blade entered the area just under the collarbone. The wound depth is 2cm...He was really lucky...it missed the right subclavian artery and more importantly, the axillary artery in extremis. The blade...”

Su-Ryeon stops him, utterly shocked. “What did you say ? What do you mean by a stab wound ?

“He was indeed stabbed. It must have been painful, I don’t know how he managed to hold up. He lost quite a lot of blood...His arm had to be treated as well, because of glass shards wounds…he stayed unconscious for the whole day but now...”

Su-Ryeon’s head is spinning. “I need to see him right now” she says, her voice shaking.

“Sure...I will need to check up on him later, but I guess visiting for a short while is fine, if he is woken up, that is” The doctor answers.Su-Ryeon barely waits for his sentence to be finished, she slides open the door after thanking him.

 

Logan is seated on his bed, about to stand up when she enters the room.

“Su-Ryeon-ssi…” he says, standing up, Su-Ryeon limps toward him.

“Logan Lee...you…”

“How could you end up in this state ? Why didn’t you say anything ?” she wonders as she stops in front of him. She is actually momentarily angry at him. Noticing the way she stares at him he looks down.

“I am sorry...I didn’t mean to worry you” he says in a low voice.

“If you know...then why ?” she answers in the same tone, her eyes filling with tears.

“You always tell me to not be reckless...to not put myself in danger...how could you...I already told you I won’t forgive you if you die on me” she choked up on her last words, making him look up.

“I am sorry...I am so sorry” she holds out her hand toward his cheek but he grabs her hand, averting his gaze. He brings her hand to his heart, She searches for his eyes.

“Look at me…” she whispers. He finally looks back at her. As a tear rolls on her cheek, his hand trembles slightly when he wipes it away. Her gaze made his last hesitation fly away.

He finally leaned in toward her to kiss her. As he had anticipated, he slid his arm around her waist to hold her back as her legs went weak. She wraps her arms around him to bring him closer. They stare at each other for a moment after they break away.

“I missed you so much,” he says, breaking the silence.

“It has not even been a day though” she answers with a smile. He makes her sit up on the bed.

“How are you feeling ? he asks, sitting beside her.

“I am so stupid...he is injured on the arm...why wasn’t I more careful ?” she scolds herself mentally as she notices he winces slightly.

“I am fine...you should be the one to be careful...please rest” she answers, pulling the covers.

“No...it’s alright”

“You rest...I am not going anywhere, so you listen to me” she replies, her tone leaving no place for argument. As he complies, she sits next to him, taking his hand. Both talk at the same time.

“About the engagement we should postpone it since you’re injured” both stare at each other.

“No way...we are not postponing it because of me...I won’t let that jerk take that from me” argues Logan.

“I won’t let that man ruin our happiness...I will never allow it either” Su-Ryeon adds. She entwines her fingers with his.

“Then...does that mean we are keeping the date as planned ?” asks Logan in a low voice.

“If you are really fine…”

“I am...but…”

“Then it’s a done deal” she concludes with a smile.

 

When she comes back from a check-up a few hours later he is asleep, laid on his side. She lay down next to him, looking at him silently.

“Do you have any idea of how scared I was ?” she wonders, taking his hand in hers. He opens his eyes briefly before closing it again. Intending to let him sleep she starts to release his hand but he clings to it.

“No…” he mumbles, pulling it toward him.

“It’s weird but I don’t feel as bad being here” he adds. She arches an eyebrow, puzzled.

“Why ?”

“You told me you liked me first in a hospital room like this” he adds.

“Oh...You also confessed to me at the hospital, remember ?” she answers with a smile.

“I was so happy...I couldn’t believe it...hearing these words... and even later that you loved me...it still feel unreal”

“It is unreal...being free and being happy with you and my children...I never thought a day like this would come either” He drew her to him so close their eyelashes were touching.

“Are you really happy ?”

“Of course I am…” she answers, looking down.

“Then it’s all good” he replies, kissing her on the forehead before wrapping his arms around her. She closes her eyes, snuggling against him.

 

The next day shortly after being transferred to a double occupancy room in the same ward, a detective visited them to take their testimony of the events and update them about Joo Dan Tae. The detective explained that he is currently under close observation by the police. If everything goes well he should be discharged in around one week. It was decided that he would be transferred to a higher security prison, the Seoul West Prison.

The day went by quickly with the frequent visit of nurses and doctors and the children also visited them. In the evening, both waited for the nurse to make her last round. Logan called her from the other side of the room.

“What are you doing ?”

“The makjang I was following will start shortly…”

“Can I come over ?” Su-Ryeon chuckles before answering.

“Why are you asking, you’re so silly” Logan stood up and joined her on the bed.

“It’s like living across from your girlfriend and sneaking in” Su-Ryeon moves to leave him more room. She laughed.

“What are you talking about ? aren’t you having too much fun when we are hospitalized ?“

“I am sorry...but here we have nothing to do and I can just spend time alone with you so…but the constant interruption on my date by nurses and doctors is the only cloud on the horizon...now I am at least able to enjoy time with you” he said, wrapping his arms around her shoulder.

“Now...let me kiss you, girlfriend,” he added. Su-Ryeon laughs after their kiss.

“Stop it...what girlfriend...I am your fiance now” she says lifting her chin.

The show started shortly after. Su-Ryeon plays with his hand absent-mindely, focusing on the TV.

“She is really into it...how cute...didn’t know she was into watching dramas” he thinks. Su-Ryeon squeezed his hand.

“Look at this Logan...look at this man...how handsome...he is the best character in the drama...he fall in love with the female lead after they team up”

“She said he is handsome...of course he will look cool, he is on TV” he thinks, sulking.

“I think he look like you a lot...I kinda knew him but since I didn’t have time to watch TV...I read an article...it’s his breakthrough role...he is so talented...if him and the female lead weren’t here, the show would be boring I think” Logan straighten himself.

“She said I look like an actor...it’s definitely a good thing” he thinks, smiling proudly. A scene grabs his attention next. They both break into laughter.

“This is so ridiculous...did that woman just stop a car with her hands ?” he comments while Su-Ryeon keeps laughing.

“This is not the worst I have seen in that show....I only keep watching because the plot twists are ridiculous and I hope the main couple has a happy ending...just like us...look at how beautiful they look together” she explains.

 

Few days later.

 

After being discharged, Logan decided to visit Yoonchul to update him about the events that took place after they last visited him. He recounted to him the attack briefly and told him about the latest turn of events.

“Joo Dan Tae was transferred to a higher security prison after being treated for his injuries...I wanted to thank you personally for warning us...I don’t know what would have happened if you didn’t” Yoonchul looked down and stayed silent.

“We will take care of Rona until one of you is released...don’t worry” Yoonchul lifts his head, looking at him with astonishment.

“How…”

“Yoonhee told me,” explains Logan. Yoonchul shakes his head pitifully.

“I don’t deserve to be her father….Rona will never agree to this either...I have some money I saved a long time ago...would you mind...retrieving it ? I know that what I did is unforgivable, but if it can help with living expenses until her mother has finished her sentence…” Logan sighs after his words.

“We can take care of that thing until then with Su-Ryeon, why don’t you handle it yourself when you’re liberated ? you know...owning up to your mistakes, apologizing sincerely until she listens to you...even if she never does...it’s not too late...you can keep trying, as her father”

“Who would accept such a father...”

“You didn’t even try….Oh Yoonhee also did something unforgivable, at least she tried to amend it. Even if Yoonhee and Rona never forgive you, you owe them at least to try until the end ....”

“Please think about it,” he added. Yoonchul looked down again.

“I am sorry…”

“If you are truly sorry, keep my words in mind and keep trying” Yoonchul looked up as Logan was standing to leave.

“I am glad you didn’t do it” Logan stops moving and looks at him with confusion.

“What ?”

“I saw it that day...in my dream....you pushing Dan Tae….I tried to make a call to warn you two but I wasn’t allowed to...I am glad it ended well” he says in a low voice. Logan sighs more for himself.

“I don’t even manage to really hate the guy now” he thinks as Yoon Chul look down again.

“Please remember what I just said…I am going now...but thank you” he answers, giving a faint smile before turning around.

 

Back at the Penthouse, Su-Ryeon checked her reflection in the stand-in mirror as one of her helpers was zipping her dress in the back.

“I am done Madam, do you need anything else ?” Su-Ryeon smiled politely.

“No I am fine, thank you very much for your help”

Once the employee had left, Su-Ryeon kept standing in front of the mirror, the shadow of a smile appearing on her face. She had just received her dress for the engagement and couldn’t wait to try it on. A light knock on the door made her turn around. Her children were behind the door.

“Mom...can we get it ?” asks Seok-Hoon timidly.

“Yes...yes of course”

“Mom...you are...you look like a princess….” said Hye-In with a big smile. Seok Kyung walked toward her.

“That dress is gorgeous….Logan will faint” she said, hugging her mother. Seok Hoon was standing slightly in retreat but he was smiling softly.

“Turn around so that we can see, Mom,” said Seok Kyung, taking her mother’s hand to make her twirl. The fabric followed her movement as she turned round, helped by her daughter who cracked into a smile. Su-Ryeon smiled shyly.

“Does that really suit me ?” Seok Hoon clapped. Hye-In was staring at her mother in pure wonder.

“Yes...you are a really beautiful mom...I cannot wait for the engagement party.” answered Seok Hoon with a soft smile. Su-Ryeon’s eyes sparkled after her son’s words.

“Really...thank you”

“Mom...we came here to ask you if we could go over Rona tonight...is that okay ?” Hye-In asked.

“Yes of course...go ahead, have fun you three”

“Why isn’t Logan back yet though ?” Worried Seok-Hoon.

“Oh...he will be back soon I think...don’t worry about me, I will be fine, go enjoy yourselves”

Her children left after bidding her goodbye.

Su-Ryeon remained in her room. She couldn’t bear to remove her dress yet.

“I am so impatient...finally” her chest filled with warmth just thinking about what is about to come.

Logan climbed slowly the stairs leading to their bedroom after coming back a little while after. The bedroom’s door was ajar, he froze on the doorstep, totally mesmerized.

She was doing small dance steps in the bedroom and she looked so graceful and beautiful he wished she would never stop.

“She looks like an angel” he thought as she turned around, still smiling. Su-Ryeon jumps a little when she notices Logan.

“You were here…” she says, embarrassed. Logan walks toward her.

“I didn’t mean to scare you...but you were so beautiful...I didn’t dare to disturb you...that dress is splendid on you….I really...” he looked down without finishing his sentence.

Su-Ryeon searches for his eyes, slightly worried. He finally looked up.

“Sorry...I got overwhelmed here” he says with a light laugh. He places his hands on her shoulders with a smile. Su-Ryeon tilts her head, observing him silently for a short moment before speaking.

“How did it go with Ha Yoonchul ?” Logan recounted to her the events, she listened patiently.

“I see...that’s great….to be totally honest, I think I am already on my way...to forgiveness...do you remember what I told you one day ? I want to be free...” she said. Logan ponders on her words before answering.

“You are really amazing...finding the strength in your heart to forgive again and again...I hope his situation gets sorted one day...but it’s up to Yoonhee and Rona now…here let me help you” he proposed to her dress. Su-Ryeon complied. Logan placed a light kiss on her shoulder where the butterfly tattoo is.

“I will let you change...I am going to shower quickly ” Su-Ryeon smiled in response.

When he got out a short moment later, Su-Ryeon was already out of the bedroom.

He approached the dressing table intending to place his watch when a drawer containing jewellery left opened attracted his attention. between two necklaces that were placed neatly, laid a button. He took it in his hand to take a good look at it. His chest tightens when he recalls where this came from.

“This is...my shirt’s button...she had it all this time...even keeping it safe and sound with her jewellery….” he puts it back in its place. He carries a hand toward his injury on his collarbone. It’s not supposed to hurt anymore, so why does it burn ?

“She shouldn’t have been injured...I deserve it...I should have come earlier, he couldn’t have laid his hand on her...but now it’s over...we can finally be happy...finally” he reassures himself mentally. Su-Ryeon leaned against the wall in the corridor.

“Logan...I already know that something is troubling you...I will definitely get you out...from that cold place...like you did for me...and we will be both happy, mark my words” she thinks, walking toward the staircase.

 

Logan and Su-Ryeon didn’t have any intention to see Ha Yoonchul again at first. They were busy with the latest preparations for the engagement which was only a few days away.

But Yoonchul called them again, asking if they could visit. As it seemed urgent, both went the next day.

“We sure see each other a lot lately” says Logan. Yoonchul smiled before looking down.

“I am sorry for burdening you two again...I know you probably wish you would never see me again but…”

Both Logan and Su-Ryeon replied at the same time.

“Cheon Seo Jin...right ?” Yoon Chul lifts his head, surprised.

“How did you know…”

“I saw Yoon Hee...I didn’t think much about it but since you asked us to visit you…” answers Su-Ryeon.

Yoonchul opens his eyes wide.

“Su-Ryeon-ssi you...saw Yoon Hee...how is she ?” asks Yoonchul with desperation clear in his voice.

“Yoonhee is doing fine...since she is an exemplary inmate, she was given responsibilities, she helps to distribute meals to inmates.” explains Su-Ryeon. Yoonchul smiled softly.

“I see...this is great…but how is it related to Seo Jin ?” Logan cleared his throat before speaking.

“We think she is up to something...Yoonhee said that Cheon Seo Jin is often out of her cell lately...tell us why you need to see us, Yoon Chul.” Su-Ryeon smiled to encourage him to talk as well.

“I didn’t have it these last few days...but it came back last night...I was at that funeral...her funeral...you were all here...so we definitely managed to change things...but Yoon Hee...why does she stay dead ?” he says, taking his head in his hands. Logan exchanges a glance with Su-Ryeon. He pats Yoonchul’s shoulder. Yoon Chul took a deep breath and kept on talking.

“Until now I assumed Dan Tae was the one who did it...because I could never see the culprit...but last night I understood...she was the one who did it...Seo Jin....after the funeral our ending is the same...I don’t care about me...but please...” Both Logan and Su-Ryeon are taken aback.

“Why would Cheon Seo Jin do that to Yoon Hee ? it doesn’t make any sense” says Logan

“I think...it’s…” Yoon Chul looks at Su-Ryeon hesitantly.

“I see...it was me from the beginning...right ? she is after me...right ?” says Su-Ryeon. Yoon Chul nods.

“We need to prevent that witch from getting out...how does she manage to get out...does one of you two remember ?” Asks Logan. Su-Ryeon shakes her head.

“I never saw that part in my dream unfortunately…”

“She...she pretends to be insane...she didn’t only did it one time too...she did it a second time to avoid charges for Yoonhee’s murder...I remember it now...she also blackmail me to treat your injuries secretely in my past dreams” answers Yoonchul.

“She is really something else...we need to prevent this at all costs…” says Su-Ryeon, shaking her head.

“Could it be possible to transfer her somewhere else ? Actually I might know someone who could help…” answers Yoonchul.

“Are you sure ? this is still your ex-wife and the mother of your child…” answers Logan.

Yoon Chul laughs in disbelief.

“Eun Byeol...she will probably hate me forever...but actually it’s the best for her too...what a father, right ? This is my punishment for harming someone’s else's child...I deserve it….Both Yoon Hee, Rona and Eun Byeol...this is the best I can do...do you have pen and paper, please ?” Su-Ryeon looks at him briefly before rummaging through her bag and holding the items to him. He scribbled down something quickly. Both Logan and Su-Ryeon read the content of the paper out loud.

“Na Yi Je ?”

“Contact this person...I worked with him a few years ago...actually...the prison Dan Tae was sent to...he is the medical director here. I am sure if you explain to him both Dan Tae’s and Seo Jin’s case he can keep an eye on Dan Tae and may have connections to prevent both from trying to act up and pull something to have their charges suspended or something…”

“Thank you...Yoon Chul...we will keep both Yoon Hee and Rona safe, don’t worry.” says Logan.

“Thank you...Yoon Chul-ssi...we will not forget your help…” adds Su-Ryeon. Both stand up.

Yoon Chul stops them, calling them back.

“Congratulations on your engagement to both of you…” They both look at him after his words.

“I saw it...you two were really one of the most beautiful couples we could ever see...you deserve to be happy now...please...be happy...thank you to the both of you for being here for me, even if it was only a dream” he concluded with a sad smile.

“Yoon Chul-ssi...in my dream...Yoon Hee forgave you already and loved you so deeply...the three of us were close too... I hope that part of my dream comes true one day too” she wonders, looking back at him.

 

Author's notes :

Aaaaah...our beautiful couple found each other again...and turn out Su-Ryeon kept the button all this time...but Logan still seems to have an heavy heart though...

My Yoonchul was finally done justice as well...My LogHa's heart <3

Did you notice the little wink added in that chapter ? :

- Didn't the makjang they're watching seems familiar ? we have a beautiful couple that keep viewers in...a talented and handsome actor in his breakthrough role...  then...whom Su-Ryeon if fan of ? 

- Didn't the doctor Yoonchul talked about seems familiar to you too ?

I am kinda excited about explaining this whole arc...