Chapter 7 : The separation

Rewriting the Stars, A penthouse Logryeon fanfic

Logan wakes up first in the morning. He had carried her to the bedroom after she fell asleep.

She is still deep-asleep, one of her legs laid across him. He rolls her over slowly on her back. She shifts briefly but doesn’t wake up. He goes over his closet and grabs a suitcase after getting dressed. He needs to pack up. He starts to bring his clothes to the living room.

“How am I going to broach the subject later ? I think it’s dangerous for her to stay here…I already booked us a flight...I just need to convince her now” he ponders, folding his clothes.

Su-Ryeon wakes up a short while after Logan. She raises slowly, stretching.

She puts on a black satin nightgown that was laying on a chair. Walking toward the exit of the bedroom she catches her reflection in the stand-mirror. Her hair is dishevelled. Recalling about the night before makes her cheeks redden. She goes over to the dressing room and the bathroom to dress up and prepare for the day.

She steps into the living room. Logan is hunched over a suitcase, putting clothes in it.

When he notices her he smiles. She tries to force a smile too but she is too nervous.

He gestures to her to sit down, one cup of coffee is already waiting for her. While she is sipping it, she looks at him busying himself. A lump forms in . If he leaves, what is she supposed to do ? She has no place to go.  After closing his suitcase with a clang. He says “ Secretary Hong already booked us a flight for the USA. I think it would be safer to leave here as soon as possible.”

 His phone starts ringing, he picks up the call. It’s Secretary Hong.

Getting a brush out of her bag, Su-Ryeon starts to brush her hair absent-mindly, listening to the conversation.

“Is that true ? Yes...we are almost ready but…” Noticing his worried tone, Su-Ryeon understands that something is off. 

“I understand...I will call you back later, thank you, Mr.Hong” 

When he hangs up he looks back at her “We need to leave immediately. Joo Dan Tae’s men are on the way” 

“What ? Don’t tell me…” As he is reading her mind, Logan nods “It is probably Oh Yoonhee...She must have told Dan Tae about our relationship…” 

Su-Ryeon is baffled. She really believed her friend would make a good choice in the end, but she was wrong. “She had nowhere else to go after all” she drops, defeated.

Logan grabs her hand, making her stand up. “We will think about what to do later, we need to go now Su-Ryeon-ssi” Confused, Su-Ryeon stops him “Wait..but…” But Logan doesn’t listen. Taking her brush out of her hand, he puts it in the front pocket of his suitcase. He then drags a confused Su-Ryeon behind him. When they step out of the suite, it is already too late. Logan spots Secretary Jo with several men behind him at the corner of the corridor. Throwing glances around him, Logan tightens his hold on Su-Ryeon’s hand and they start running to the elevator. Noticing them, Secretary Jo and his men start to chase them. Logan pushes on the button of the elevator frantically. When the door finally opens, he rushes into the cabin, pulling Su-Ryeon along. The doors close just in time before Secretary Jo catches up to them. Once they are safe in the cabin, they inhale slowly, trying to calm down. Su-Ryeon is so close she can feel his heart pulsating on his neck. She noticed she was clutching on his shirt so tightly her hands started turning white. Still shaking, she loosens her grip. Looking down at her, Logan rubs her shoulders to appease her. When the door opens, His hands still around her shoulders,  he leads her toward the parking lot.  He opens the passenger’s door and urges her to get inside. He entered the car after throwing his baggage in the trunk. Starting the engine, he spot in the rear-view’s mirror Secretary’s Jo and his men entering the parking lot.

They get out of the parking lot. Once they are out Su-Ryeon throws a glance at Logan. 

Eyes on the road, his jaw tight, he landed a punch on the steering wheel making her jump.

“Damn...I knew we couldn’t trust that woman. We should have reported her to the authorities”

Su-Ryeon let out a strained sigh. He is right. They almost got into a pinch earlier because of Yoonhee. It’s her fault. Seeing her sullen face, Logan patted her hand.

“I didn’t mean to blame you, don’t worry we will find a solution.” They head toward Jakomo.

The rest of the drive is spent in silence.

Once they reach Jakomo, Logan calls back Secretary Hong to update him. 

“Thank you. You worked hard Mr.Hong, let’s meet in the USA” he says before ending the call.

Su-Ryeon shakes her head in disbelief.

"I can't believe it, she promised me she would turn herself in" says Su-Ryeon.

"Do you really think she is going to keep that promise ? Given what happened earlier, I don’t think so...” answer Logan.

Logan cannot do anything more, it’s her own decision whether to forgive her friend or not. He just need to take Su-Ryeon somewhere far where Joo Dan Tae and Oh Yoonhee won’t be able to harm her

"I'm going to keep the promise I made to Seol Ah, Let's go the USA together.The only thing left is to make you happy now, I promised Seol Ah, I would make her mom happy" Su-Ryeon listen silently before replying

"I cannot leave..." But Logan doesn’t plan on giving up that easily, he plead again

"Joo Dan Tae is after you right now, at least until everything is settled, you shouldn't be here" 

"What about my children ? I am their mother...I need to protect Seok-Hoon and Seok-Kyung...I will stay here until the end ” Su-Ryeon argues back.

Logan looks at her sadly "Do you think these children want you as their mother ? There are things that can"t be changed. From the moment you decided to avenge Seol Ah, didn't you already know you wouldn't be able to go back to them anymore ?" 

Su-Ryeon already knows that. But even if her children reject her all her life, it would be only her fate and she needs to accept it. "I just can't run away and leave them at the hands of that monster, '' she replies.

She prayed silently "Please give up, I beg you" She is already torn apart between her duties as a mother and her true desire : run away somewhere and be happy and free. Logan gets out a plane ticket from his jacket.

" Actually, I asked Mr. Hong to book a plane ticket for you too. Everything is ready, you shouldn't wait any longer, I already told Hye In you're coming with me" he adds. Su-Ryeon’s chest tightens painfully. She takes the ticket, tears welling up in her eyes“Thank you, really,” she says with a regretful smile.

Logan embraces her again. Su-Ryeon wonders how it has become familiar and comfortable in the span of just a few days. She feels Logan tense up a little before he starts to speak again.

"Don’t forget my words from yesterday...I will wait for you, until you come" 

“Please...Su-Ryeon-ssi...come with me...please...we will figure something out together... so just

listen to me…” he pleaded silently.

She clenched her fist to fight back her tears again until he released her. He gazes at her a few seconds before turning back. Su-Ryeon follows him with her eyes. When he is finally gone, she collapses on the floor.

"Logan...don’t go" she whispered with tears falling from her cheeks.

Su-Ryeon kept crying for a long while, looking at the plane ticket in deep regret.

She kept denying it all the time , but just seeing him vanishing from her sight right now has left her feeling scared and empty.  She was still sobbing when their housekeeper, Ms Yang called her : the twins were in great danger.

Logan reached the airport, and sat down while waiting for the flight. 

He kept checking his watch, hopeful at times when a woman entered the airport, only to be disappointed when he realized it wasn't Su-Ryeon. He doesn’t know exactly why but he has a bad feeling….

Few hours later

Shim Su-Ryeon is wandering aimlessly on the street, her thoughts in disarray. Earlier Na Ae Gyo stopped her as she was rushing to the Penthouse. When Su-Ryeon tried to leave explaining to her the situation Ae-Gyo stopped her, asking to switch places so that she could see the twins one last time.

"I told you on the phone already. We don't know what he's going to do to them. I need to go" 

"That's why I'm telling you, I'm going. Crazy people should be dealt with by crazy people after all" Na Ae Gyo replied.

"If something happens to them...I'll die" Su-Ryeon said.

The way Na Ae-Gyo looked at her this time...She understood her. She was caring about the twins too. 

"I just want to see them. I'm leaving Korea soon, and I will never come back. To a place he will never find me. Please, let me see them one last time"  After they got changed, Su-Ryeon gave her the plane’s ticket to the USA. Na Ae-Gyo would be safe until she finds a better solution. Su-Ryeon can’t follow him now anyway, she has to stay beside the kids. Na Ae-Gyo exchanged a last stare with Su-Ryeon. If they hadn't met this man named Joo Dan Tae, the two of them could have been carefree and happy with the man they liked. 

Then it happened... Na Ae-Gyo was killed. And Yoonhee had been arrested on the premises.  Remembering the scene she choked up again. The stretcher carrying the lifeless body of Na Ae Gyo...Oh Yoon Hee being taken away by the police officers...The residents talking to each other,their whispers were way too loud, too deafening for Su-Ryeon.

“Why didn’t I stop you ? I am so sorry Ae-Gyo...it’s my fault...” she laments mentally, tears filling her eyes. If only she had reported Yoonhee like Logan said it wouldn't have happened...No if she didn't seek revenge in the first place it wouldn't have happened.

"Logan...what am I going to do ?" she whispers, almost breaking in tears. She is terrified and she has no place to return to.

She starts to dial Logan's number. But what if he gets in danger because of her ? She was almost done when a van stopped in front of her. “Who are those people ?” she wondered, panicked. Two men jump out of the van and grab her. She struggles but they are too strong. She is thrown away in the van, landing on the floor . Meanwhile, Logan is still waiting, it’s almost 7.00pm now, the flight is in an hour.

The bad feeling he had from way earlier is becoming more and more present in his mind, heaving on his chest. He tried to call Su-Ryeon many times but she didn’t pick up. His phone bips. It’s a message from Secretary Hong.  He opens the link and his whole word shatters. Stunned he doesn’t even notice he is already running toward the exit. He gets out of the airport and calls for a taxi. Suddenly a van stops in front of him and two men grab him abruptly before knocking him unconscious.