Chapter 16 : Is Logryeon finally free ?

Rewriting the Stars, A penthouse Logryeon fanfic

Logan barges into the hospital room as soon as the detectives have finished interrogating Su-Ryeon. She turns around to face him. Logan rushes to hug her.

“Is everything fine ? it’s all over right ?”

“I told my testimony...it’s over...it’s all thanks to you Logan”

“It was so hard and stressful...I was so scared...do you know how much it means to me that you were beside me ? I tried to push you away but you stayed…” she thinks as he hugs her tighter.

“I was so scared earlier...I’m glad, really glad” he says, caressing her cheek. Her gaze softened immediately mirroring his.

Her eyes filled with tears as he got closer and kissed her. She wrapped her arms around him. That one she wouldn’t forget, it’s their first kiss after they are freed at least.

 

She opens her eyes as he wipes away her tears. He looks down briefly, hesitating for a short while before speaking again.

“I like you..I really like you Su-Ryeon-ssi...I wanted to say it for a long time...I already fell for you months ago...I was so stupid...I realized it too late and that happened…Please don’t disappear ever again”

Su-Ryeon is speechless. She feels the same but words won’t come out.

She embraces him again, weeping.

“It’s fine...I already told you I would wait as long as you need...it’s okay” he says, caressing her hair. She doesn’t need to say it out aloud, he already knows anyway.

Once the trial is over he intends to fulfill his promise to Seol Ah once and for all.

 

Later after helping her laying down on the bed, putting a pillow behind her back. He goes out to fetch something in his car when he notices he has 5 missed calls from Oh Yoonhee. It must be urgent. He is almost at the entrance when Yoonhee crosses the double door, phone to her ear.

“Logan, I couldn’t wait...I have something to tell you it’s urgent” Logan stops her.

“No...it’s me who has something to tell you first, follow me”

She follows him through the wards but she has trouble containing her excitement. They stop in front of a room. Logan turn around to look at her

“Yoonhee, please stay calm and listen to me first….Rona...she…she is behind that door…she is still...”

Yoonhee laughs, uneasy.

“What kind of joke is that ? Rona cannot be behind that door, stop it it’s not funny”

Logan grabs her by the shoulder and makes her turn in the direction of the door’s pane, making her look inside. Yoonhee breaks into tears when she sees her daughter.

Logan wants to open the door, but Yoonhee stops him

“No...don’t open that door...I don’t deserve to see her after what I have done to Su-Ryeon-unni” Logan tries to argue but she is adamant, she won’t see her daughter until she deserves it. Logan takes her outside. She sits on a bench and cries for a long time.

“Su-Ryeon-ssi saved her...she was here when Dan Tae tried to kill her both times…”

“Si-Ryeon-unni...saved Rona ? Yoonhee buries her face in her hands and starts to cry again.

After she has calmed down she starts to speak again.

“It’s...it’s Seok-Kyung…” Logan grabs her by the shoulders

“What ? what are you talking about ?”

“Su-Ryeon-unni birth daughter...it’s Joo Seok Kyung” repeats Yoon Hee. Logan let himself drop on the bench, shocked.

“It was Seok Kyung...I see...”

“I cannot face Rona nor Su-Ryeon-unni...not until I have received my punishment...please Logan, you have to tell her...I probably won’t be forgiven but at least if she can be reunited with her daughter…” Logan tried to convince her to tell Su-Ryeon herself but Yoonhee wouldn’t change her mind. She left soon after.

Logan comes back to Su-Ryeon’s room with his mind in a jumble. She is already shaken up, he can’t tell her when she’s in this state. But keeping it from her doesn’t look right either.

She is sleeping peacefully, he lays down next to her. Noticing he is here, she talks, voice still full with sleepiness.

“Where did you go all this time ?”

“I bumped into Oh Yoonhee on the way...I told her for Rona”

“Oh...thank you...I planned to say it myself, but I was still uncomfortable...was she happy ?”

“She didn’t enter the room, she refuses to see her for the time being...”

Su-Ryeon opens her eyes.

“Why ?”

“She feel guilty toward you...so she thinks she doesn’t deserve to see her daughter”

“It has nothing to do with what she has done...maybe I should talk to her…”

“Leave her some time to cope with the news, I think she will be fine”

She closed her eyes again. He kept speaking to her but she only mumbled back. She was too tired.

 

The next day, they were sitting at the table in the hospital room.

The trial for Logan’s parents was starting soon. Maybe he would have to leave at any moment. He should tell her about Seok Kyung before he does.

“I have to tell you something really important...I wanted to wait until you have recovered but…do you recall what I told you last day ? about the twins” Su-Ryeon nods, prompting him to continue.

“Few months ago I got curious about HyeIn’s birth mother...while I was digging I found out something about you...do you remember...you told me you expected twins...I”

 

Su-Ryeon was getting tense. Why stir up the past now ? Seeing she is getting nervous, Logan takes her hand. Now that he has started he has to go until the end.

 

“You thought one of them died...but I found out...she was still alive...that bastard had lied to you about her death” Startled, Su-Ryeon stood up.

“What are you talking about ? it’s impossible”

“She was closer to you than you think...it’s Joo Seok Kyung” Taking a step back, Su-Ryeon stifled a cry. She felt weak all of sudden.

“Seok-Kyung...is my daughter ?” Logan catch her just in time and make her sit down

“Are you alright ? I know it’s hard…”

Su-Ryeon is in turmoil. It's happy news of course. But how would the kids react if they come to know that they are not related to each other at all when all this time they thought they were blood-related siblings ?They would probably visit her soon...how to tell them ? Once she is calm again, she takes his hand.

“Thank you...for doing this for me...I need to thank Yoon Hee as well...I have not forgiven her but what she did...I’m grateful”

 

In the afternoon, the twins visited at least. Logan left them alone. It was probably best she told them undisturbed. Once he was out in the corridor, Secretary Hong walked toward him.

“Is Madam Shim alright ?”

“Yes...I need to leave soon though...I have to face the consequences of my crimes too”

“Logan...it wasn’t your fault. You didn’t know…”

“I still feel guilty about it...it’s even worse that she decided to care for me instead of hating me like she should actually...how is it going with Baek Jun Ki...well Joo Dan Tae ?”

“He is still resting in the room we booked him at Fairmont. I think he needs more time. He is still pretty traumatized…” Suddenly, Seok-Kyung stormed out of the VIP room, Seok Hoon behind her. She threw him a nasty glance before heading for the exit. Seok Hoon stopped in front of him and shrugged pitifully.

“I am sorry...she didn’t take the news really well…but I will take care of her...I already told mom to not worry too much” Logan nodded and Seok Hoon ran after his sister.

“I better go see if Su-Ryeon is fine” he said to Mr Hong before entering the room again.

 

Su-Ryeon was sitting on the bed, her shoulders slumped. She was drawn out. Logan sat beside her, wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

“She hates me...it must be awful to learn you have such a terrible mother after all”

“No..she just needs time...you are not a bad mother, they are really lucky to have someone like you as their mom...she is just shocked...like you were earlier...look at me” Su-Ryeon turned her head toward him, she was crying. Logan wonders how many times he had to wipe her tears away.

“You are a wonderful person...that’s why I couldn’t help but fall for you. Seok Kyun will come around eventually…” Hearing his feelings again, Su-Ryeon felt slightly better. He was right. She just needed to be patient. Something still bothers her but she can’t pinpoint what exactly.

“This looks familiar...but why can't I remember ?” she wonders, puzzled.

“What’s wrong ?” asks Logan as he notices she seems in deep thoughts. She stops him by raising her hand. She finally speaks after staying silent for a short while.

“Of course...that dream...I didn’t pay attention to it...I didn’t understand what she meant at that moment...as Yoonhee-ssi was about to fall off that cliff...she said “Seok Kyung is your daughter…” or something like this...to the voice recorder on her watch…of course Seok-Kyung is my daughter...but what if she meant my birth daughter ?” Logan is more and more confused.

“What are you...do you mean that dream is a prophetic dream or something ? it’s hard to believe….” Su-Ryeon shakes her head.

“I’m not sure...I don’t know anymore...it looked very real and now this…”

“Did you have that dream again ?”

“No...actually I haven't since the last time…” Logan took her hands.

“I understood for now...you said that in your dream you saw Joo Dantae, Cheon Seojin and the others….but these people are about to be sentenced...on the chance your dream was real...now we prevented it from happening...because they were arrested, don’t you think so ?” Su-Ryeon doesn’t answer right away.

“Can I really relax now ? Is that really over ? Can we really enjoy our happiness now ?” she wonders. Logan brings her back to reality.

“Su-Ryeon-ssi ?” Su-Ryeon manages to smile.

“Yes...of course. You are probably right…”

 

Two hours later Jung Doo Man came to visit them. They talked about Na Ae Gyo and told him about Seok Hoon. He was shocked by the news as expected. But Logan was confused. Doo Man didn’t seem surprised to learn his lover was dead and learning about Su-Ryeon’s identity...does that mean he already knew ? Once he is gone, Logan stays silent. He seems lost in thoughts.

“He was aware of your identity...I see ” He tried to hide it, but she noticed he was sulking immediately. She stifled a laugh, making him turn around. She stood up and joined him by the windows.

“I am sorry...Logan Lee being jealous...I wasn’t expecting it” Logan tried to defend himself

“I am not jealous...I am just surprised... I mean…” He shouldn’t be jealous. She hid her identity for a good reason. But she relied on another man and told him such an important piece of information. It’s childish but he can’t help but be slightly hurt.

 

“Did you mean to say you were curious ? Like when I saw you with Oh Yoonhee ? I understand perfectly” she said, taunting him.

“ Aren’t you supposed to have your treatment soon ? right ? the nurse is probably already on her way, I should leave you alone. I need to go pack up some clothes anyway”

Su-Ryeon can’t believe he is trying to sneak out of that one. She grabs him by the hand.

“Where are you going ?” As on cue, the nurse enters the room. Logan is relieved.

“Oh that’s too bad...she is already here, I have to go” he says, slipping away.

Su-Ryeon is disappointed. Why did the nurse have to come in at this moment ? She had finally mustered the courage to tell him her feelings…

 

When the nurse has finished she holds out a letter to her.

“Here someone left this for you earlier” Once the nurse is gone she opens the letter.

It’s from Yoon Hee. She apologizes for what she has done and says that she will surrender.

She thanks her for saving Rona and hopes that she will be happy with her children and Logan since she is free now.

“Yoon Hee-ssi…” She let herself drop on the bed. She was strained. It was a lot to take in in one day. And it wasn’t over. They had to pay a visit to Seo Jin and Dan Tae the next day after all…

 

When she wakes up a few hours later, Logan is already back. He is asleep beside her.

She notices he looks way younger when his face is not stress-ridden. Were his eyelashes that long ? “How cute” she says, poking his cheek. He opens his eyes, She looks back at him, eyes wide, removing her finger.

“Oh…”

“What is Su-Ryeon-ssi doing...playing with people’s faces when they are asleep ?”

“I…..like you…” this time the words blurted out on their own.

“What...what did you say ?” he answers, startled.

“I said that I like you too...I liked you for a long time...when you left at Jakomo that day that’s when I understood. The second you passed this door I just knew it...but I am weak...I kept running away”

Logan is speechless. He knew she probably had feelings for him too, but hearing it from her directly is another story. Su-Ryeon waves her hand in front of him.

“Logan...please say something…” He kisses her hand.

“You don’t know how happy I am...few days ago I thought I would never see you again...then you appear and you tell me you feel the same as me...it doesn’t feel real”

She felt lighter now that she has told him at least. Kissing him she says.

“It’s real...you can relax now...and you don’t have to be jealous...I only see you too”

Logan frowns.

“I already told you I wasn’t jealous...or maybe I was a little but…”

“Yes...yes of course...I got it” she answers, laughing.

Did she just laugh right now ? It’s so rare to hear her laughing. He was really lucky today.

He hugged her tightly.

“I am really happy...even making you smile…you should sleep now...we have a big day awaiting us tomorrow after all” She nodded, burying her face in his shoulders.

She fell asleep almost immediately. But for him it wasn’t as easy. He wouldn’t be able to sleep after what she has just told him

 

The next day passed in the blink of an eye. Between her discharge from the hospital, their visit to the police station...Meeting Seo Jin and Dan Tae was satisfying ...Cheon Seo Jin lost it completely when she saw Su-Ryeon. It was pleasing to see her on the floor, her face distorted by anger.

Su-Ryeon came in with Jung Doo Man in Dan Tae’s interrogation room next. Then Logan gave him the last blow when he told him he knew his true identity. The last sight Logan has of him is a broken man, devastated to learn he killed Na Ae-Gyo with his own hands.

 

Once they’re back at Fairmont, Su-Ryeon notices he seems bothered by something.

He didn’t sit beside her, he went over the windows and kept staring outside instead.

“What’s wrong...you are so quiet...if something bother you, you should tell me”

Logan sighs and turns around. He kneels in front of her, taking her hand.

“You know...my parents...their trial has already begun…”

“And you kept it from me because you feel guilty ? you’re always telling me to not feel guilty about things that I didn’t cause...but here you do just the same. You weren’t responsible for what your parents did...I made peace with it already...if I didn’t would I be here with you ?”

“But I should…” Logan tries to argue but Su-Ryeon stops him, placing her hand above his

“No, you shouldn’t. All you need to do...is...you should just stay with me...that’s enough”

Logan seems pitiful when he looks back at her.

“Su-Ryeon-ssi...I still need to go over there...my plane is tomorrow in the afternoon”

Su-Ryeon flinches when she hears his words. She looks down. He shouldn’t see how disappointed she is.

“Oh...I see...you’re leaving...but how long ?”

“Just a few days, I will be back soon” Hearing him, Su-Ryeon finally looked up.

“I see...that’s great…” she tries to force out a smile but it’s too difficult at this moment.

Logan smiles reassuringly, taking her both hands.

“I promise it won’t be long...you just wait for me.” Su-Ryeon nods, but she is still disheartened. She wraps her arms around his neck.

“Then it’s okay...if you come back quickly, that’s all that matters”

“Of course...I wouldn’t be able to stay away from you anyway” he answers, hugging her back. He makes her stand up.

“Since it’s the last...we should go out somewhere...right ?”

 

Later, Su-Ryeon is getting ready. She is humming happily while selecting an outfit in front of the mirror. It has been ages since she has been that carefree.

“Is that a date ? ” she wonders, excited. She puts on a black jumpsuit with a white bouffant camisole. In the bathroom she tries on a vibrant red lipstick but looking in the mirror she isn’t convinced...it doesn’t look like her. She removes it nervously with a make-up wipe.

“it suits me best” she considers as she chooses a colored lipstick.

She is finishing curling her hair when Logan knocks on the door.

“Are you almost ready ?”

“Yes of course”

“Am I taking too much time ? Maybe I try too hard” she wonders, nervous.

She gets out of the bathroom timidly a few minutes later. Logan raises his eyes from his watch and the eyes he lands on her made all the time she took to get ready worthwhile.

He stood up, wonderstruck.

“You are...just...splendid Su-Ryeon-ssi...very beautiful…”

“Thank you...you are pret...no I mean you are handsome too”

Logan tilted his head, Su-Ryeon bit her lower lips, nervous. “Why did I call him pretty ? Embarrassing myself again...” she thinks to herself.

“Pretty...pretty...I like it...anything coming from you is nice...and it’s the first time too” he says while taking her hand.

“Oh…” She can breathe normally again, he wasn’t bothered by it.

“Let’s go” He adds, pulling her toward the door.

 

She thought he would bring her to a fancy restaurant, but he had better in mind actually.

She felt stuffy in that kind of setting, so she was relieved when she passed the door.

The wooden parquet, the plants everywhere, lanterns and the booth seats, it was really gorgeous and relaxing. She felt at ease immediately.

 

“How did you even find that kind of place ?” she asks him when they are seated.

“Oh...that I saw it in a magazine one day and it made me think of you...so I always wanted to bring you here if I got the chance...that’s all” he answered, looking around him.

“Thank you...it’s so beautiful here...you did well, I really like it”

When the waitress arrived and placed her cocktail in front of her, Su-Ryeon’s eyes filled with wonder.

“Look...it’s so pretty,” she said, holding the glass up to show him. She had ordered an “Empress Lavender Lemonade” . Logan thought the mysterious purple fading to orange gradient shade suited her perfectly, even the name was fitting of Su-Ryeon.

“It is...what is the flavor ?” Su-Ryeon handed him the glass for him to take a sip.

“Lavender...lemon...and Gin...maybe ?”

“Almost...you forgot Honey...what about yours ?” she says happily while taking the glass.

"Pear...lemon..gin...and even vanilla...that one definitely suits you too” Logan arched an eyebrow.

“It’s sweet and comforting like you is what I mean...I imagined you would drink whisky on ice or something like that...how adorable” adds Su-Ryeon. Logan coughs. He almost choked on his drink, it was close.

“Sweet...adorable…” he muttered. Su-Ryeon tilts her head.

“You are definitely...why ?” Logan looks away still muttering. “I am not the one killing someone here with her cuteness though”

“What did you say ?” Logan raises his hand “Nothing at all”

The waitress brought them the dishes and they kept chatting happily. Then the moment Su-Ryeon waited for came at last. The dessert. But she can’t choose.

“Maybe I should take that lemon tart...but that peach parfait looks good too...look...or no...maybe I should just take that mint ice...I ate a lot already...but these macarons…”

Logan laughed seeing the waitress's confusion. “Please just bring her an assortiment, it will be quicker...I’ll just take a coffee though”

Logan sipped on his coffee while Su-Ryeon was staring at her plate full of sweets. She took a red macaron and held it out to him.

“You have to try this…”

“I’m...well it’s good…”

“You have to take this one too, it’s fate, it’s a vanilla macaron” she said, giving him another one.

“Stop…I’m stuffed already” he says, laughing. He takes a spoon in front of him and digs into the lemon tart.

“Here...I always wanted to do that with my girlfriend one day” Su-Ryeon took the spoonful. After she has finished she says

“Wait a minute...what did you call me ?”

“Oh...was I ahead of myself ? Maybe we are not dating...even calling you my girlfriend, Su-Ryeon-ssi cannot possibly be “my girlfriend”” Su-Ryeon takes his hand.

“No...it took us long enough”

 

After they paid, they got out of the restaurant. They were walking toward their car. He just released her hand to look at his phone for a short moment, walking in front of her when he heard the distinct sound of someone falling. Logan froze on the spot. “Did she just slip and fall ?...I must not laugh...it’s not funny, she may have hurt herself...I must not laugh” kept repeating Logan before he turned around and rushed to her.

“Are you alright Su-Ryeon-ssi ?” he asked, helping her to stand up.

“Yes...it was slippery so…here that icy patch” she answered wincing. She looked up at him. “What is that face ?” she wondered, seeing him looking up, his lips pursed.

“Be careful...here hold on to my arm” They walked carefully to their car. He stopped a few meters away in front of a cafe and got out with one coffee and a box.

“Here drink this, you must be cold” Su-Ryeon pointed to the tub he was holding.

“What is it ?”

“It’s for you...you seems to like sweets”

“No….boxed candy floss...I wanted to eat this for a long time...how nostalgic...thank you so much” she answered with a smile.

They reached Fairmont’s Parking Lot. He was getting ready to go out when she gave him a small portion of candyfloss. When he was finished eating it she kissed him.

“That’s for not laughing earlier” she said before getting out of the car.