Bonus 1.1 : Logryeon's first Christmas

Rewriting the Stars, A penthouse Logryeon fanfic

ADDITIONAL CHAPTER 1.1 : CHRISTMAS

The events take place 2 weeks after the end of the trial.

 

Theresa’s notes

-The whole holiday will be written in the form of short-stories, to avoid being too lengthy

- LR = Logryeon’s only. TW = Part containing third-wheelers.

 

TW.Reuniting with Hye-In, Logan’s worst nightmare is his brother

 

It was two days until Christmas, Su-Ryeon cannot wait. It will be the first she’ll spend since she was reunited with her children and it will be the first with him too.

Logan stole a glance toward Su-Ryeon as they were driving to the airport to pick Hye In.

She was focusing on the road, both hands on the wheel while he kept staring at her.

The last few days she was always leaving for hours in her daughter’s room. Both were acting suspicious. She even left for a whole afternoon to go “shopping” with the twins only to come back empty-handed. Su-Ryeon turned her head toward him all of sudden.

“What’s wrong...why do you keep staring at me and most importantly, why are you so silent ?”

“Nothing at all...just admiring the view” he answered innocently before turning his head toward the windows.

“Logan Lee, you are hiding something from me…” wonders Su-Ryeon as she focuses on the road again. She saw him mumbling while playing with his phone a few times. Something about “rascals ripping money off honest people” but he wouldn’t tell her exactly. And one day when she came back from her daughter’s room he seemed surprised, as he had been caught doing something. But since he wouldn’t say, she cannot do anything about it.

She was also hiding something from him.

“I can’t believe I will see her again in less than an hour...my daughter” she said to break the ice.

“Really...I missed her too and it wasn’t as long as you since I last saw her”

“It’s really too surreal...us… and having a normal holiday with my children…”

They reached the airport. They waited anxiously. About half an hour later a petite short-haired girl accompanied by a tall man wearing flashy clothes walked toward them.

Hye In dropped her luggage on the floor.

“Mom...Mom ? Mom” she ran toward Su-Ryeon who hugged her tightly.

“My daughter...my baby...let me see you up-close…” Su-Ryeon says, wiping her daughter’s tears. “Did the flight go well ? How are you feeling ? aren’t you tired ?” Hye In shakes her head. “I’m fine...I am so happy to see you mom...I missed you so much”

Alex catched up to them. He hugged his brother before taking a step back. Hye In rushed to hug Logan while both Su-Ryeon and Alex observed each other silently for a short moment.

“He really looks like him...but he is...he looks kinda...his clothes are so gaudy” Alex arched an eyebrow, looking at her admiratively. Su-Ryeon looked down, embarrassed.

Ruffling Hye In’s hair Logan turned his attention back to Su-Ryeon and Alex and froze on the spot, horrified

“That oaf...how can he ogle at her like that and he isn’t even trying to hide it ? How can he be my brother ? You are so dead Alex" he pulled on his brother's sleeve, snapping him out of his thoughts.

“Oh sorry...got distracted here...I am Alex Lee, nice to meet you”

“I am Shim Su-Ryeon...nice to meet you too” Su-Ryeon turned to her daughter, taking her hand. “Let’s go Hye In”. Logan slowed down his pace on purpose to put some distance between the girls and him before pulling his brother by the back of his jacket to stop him.

His brother turned around grinning.

“What’s wrong my sweet little brother ?”

“You...don’t pull that sweet brother nonsense on me...what was that ? you’re so rude”

“Dude...she is a bombshell...she is so hot...how do you expect me to not stare ? Even from behind she is a goddess...look at that...” answered Alex. Logan covered his mouth as Su-Ryeon turned around, puzzled.

“Shut up...shut up...you lout...you’re so vulgar...Su-Ryeon isn’t that kind of person” said Logan in a low voice.

“But I am totally this kind of person...and you are too, I heard you on the phone remember ? stop pretending you’re so self righteous” gritted Alex between his teeth, while Logan was smiling brightly at her, gesturing to the women to keep walking.

“I am not acting self-righteous...just because you’re like this don’t assume everyone is the same, you caveman”

“Alright my sweet brother...of course you are an innocent young man straight out of a fairytale but I am just a normal guy, so I am attracted to hot women and I want to stare”

“You won’t stare...I will send you back to that plane if you don’t stop I swear” They reached the parking lot, Su-Ryeon opened the passenger’s door to help her daughter in after putting her luggage in the trunk. Alex turned around.

“Fine, fine...look at how cute you are when you are angry” answered Alex pinching his cheeks.

“Remove these hands from my face before I kick your arse” whispered Logan with a smile plastered on his face as Su-Ryeon was looking at them.

“You two are really close...I love to pinch his cheeks too...he is so cute right ?” she said innocently. Alex turned toward her, grinning.

“I agree...he is my adorable little brother” he said in a cheerful voice as Logan threw him a dark glance.

 

LR.Logan and Su-Ryeon’s unexpected date

 

In the evening after eating out at the restaurant, everyone went to their respective suites.

Su-Ryeon and Logan were having a drink, sitting on the bed. She was really cheerful as she was talking about Christmas in two days. They were supposed to spend it at the villa with everyone.

“The menu is done, The decorations, done. Gifts, almost done. There are enough rooms for everyone, so it’s done too” she said, ticking her to-do list.”

“You are really excited...that’s a great sight to see...anything if I can see you happy” Su-Ryeon turned her head toward him.

“Anything...really ?”

“Yes of course...anything”

“Then...let’s go to the beach right now”

Logan stands up. “Alright...if we go now in about 2 hours…” Su-Ryeon catch his hand

“I was only joking...it’s so cold outside...I want to hear you play piano then” she adds, teasing him as he looks down at her.

“That...that it is definitely possible...” he makes her stand up and drag her to the door. She stops him, laughing

“What are you talking about...it’s 1.00am and we are dressed for bed...please stop falling for it all the time...I was only teasing you”

“No...we are at such a big hotel...must have a piano somewhere” He wraps a coat around her shoulders after putting on his and he opens the door, ignoring her as she tries to stop him. “Logan...you’re so silly...it’s so late…”

“Shhhhh...why is your voice so loud Su-Ryeon-ssi ? you are going to wake up other customers” he answers walking toward the elevator.

Once they are in the hall they cross paths with an employee who looks at them curiously. Su-Ryeon looks down.

“How embarrassing”

“Who cares?” he answers, stopping in front of a panel.

“Here...it says there is a music room at the 4th floor, let’s go”

 

“I still think it is a bad idea” argues Su-Ryeon, chuckling as he sits in front of the piano.

But when he starts playing she eases up and sits beside him. She looks at him softly.

“If only I could have seen you and Seol Ah play together” she wonders with a smile.

Once he is finished he turns toward her.

“It was lovely...what was the melody you played ? I didn’t know it at all” He looks up.

“Hmmmm...Hearts filled with tears...it’s quite a unknown song....that’s why you probably don’t know about it”

“Hearts filled with tears...I see...how nice…”

“We played it together one time with Seol Ah…” he adds cautiously.

“Really ? I wish I could have heard you two playing together…” Logan looked down.

“I am sorry…” Su-Ryeon searches for his eyes.

“Why are you apologizing...thank you for telling me about it...I am happy to learn you had good memories together...and thank you for playing for me too” she answers, kissing him.

“Let’s go...we have a lot of things to prepare tomorrow” she adds, standing up.

 

TW.The shopping outing

 

The next day they go to the mall to run errands for the next day with Hye In, Seok Hoon, Rona, Seok Kyung and Alex who decided to tag along to his brother’s dismay. Logan wondered why they needed to go themselves at first, but seeing Su-Ryeon strolling happily through the stores with the kids, he understood why. The mall is crowded. They enter a home decorating store.

Rona and Seok Hoon are taking pictures after Rona had placed cat’s ears on Seok Hoon’s head.

Hye In is holding onto Logan’s arm along the alleys

“Logan...look at this...isn’t that cute ? please...can I get it ?”

“Sure...take it…”

“Then also that one and that one ?” she asks, dragging him toward other items.

“You can...but is that really useful ?”

“I think it is...look ? Who doesn’t need that ?” she answers, lifting a mint green colored dream-catcher. Su-Ryeon pouts behind them.

“Having so much fun you two...what about me” she whispers. As on cue, Hye In turns around.

“Mom...just look at this ? Logan doesn’t understand...how cute, right ?” Su-Ryeon walks to them with a smile.

“Of course...of course...it would look lovely in your bedroom” answers Su-Ryeon, ruffling her daughter’s hair. Hye- In links arms with her mother as Logan takes Su-Ryeon’s hand to continue looking at the store.

 

Seok Kyung is wandering in the alleys with a bored expression on her face.

“It’s so corny here... wait...that stuff is neat actually” she reaches for an item on a shelf, a steam-punk decoration. It’s the last remaining but Alex snatched it from her hands.

“That’s cool” Seok Kyung gave him a glance.

“I saw it first old fart”

“What are you talking about you brat ? it’s the one who lay his hands first that get it, just go buy some cat’s ears like your brother over there” She let out an exasperated sigh.

“You are so annoying, give it to me already” He lift his hands

“Not giving it to you...how insolent” Both stop arguing, spotting Su-Ryeon and Logan in the distance. They cross their eyes and nod in silence.

 

Su-Ryeon is looking at items on a blown glass stand.

“It’s beautiful…look” she says, showing a butterfly figurine to Logan, the glass of a beautiful gradient gold rose to amethyst color has almost a metallic hue to it. Logan smiles at her.

“It’s indeed beautiful…why don’t you take it ? it will go well with the rest of your collection”

“We came here originally as a challenge for the kids to buy gifts under 150 000 wons* *(approx 128 US dollars) but everyone ended up buying more for themselves…if I do it too, this is too much” she says, chuckling.

“I see…then I will buy it for you as my challenge gift, no problem here, right ?”

“Seems like cheating, but it’s not wrong either” she answers.

 

They keep looking around the stalls, hand in hand, when Su-Ryeon’s eyes widen in horror and she lets out a small scream, taking a step backward.

“Logan…on…on…on your shoulder…” Logan looks in the direction of her finger, he has a huge spider on the shoulder. slapping it away, he jumps backward and ends up colliding with the shelf behind him. Su-Ryeon rushed to him, hiding in his arms.

But Logan notices something is off. The spider isn’t moving. Breaking free delicately from Su-Ryeon he approaches the form on the ground. Su-Ryeon looks anxiously over his shoulders.

“Is…is..is she dead ?” Suddenly it moves again and both jump into each other’s arms, their hearts racing. They can hear a muffled sound of laughter from behind the shelf, in the next alley. Logan closes his eyes, sighing heavily.

“Of course…I should have known” Su-Ryeon looks at him, puzzled, her arms still around him. He places a finger on his lips to gesture to her to stay silent, takes her hand and drags her to the next alley where Alex and Seok Kyung are busy laughing, leaning on the shelf.

“Too bad we couldn’t see their faces…it must have been iconic, this item is genius, let’s try it on Rona and Seok Hoon next” says Seok Kyung.

“Seok Hoon will hyperventilate …more the reason to do it” answers Alex.

“What if they both faint with Rona…Hello 911 ? we have a dumb couple passed out because of a platic spider” They both laugh again.

Logan coughs behind them, They spin around, caught red-handed. Su-Ryeon is looking at them in a very disapproving manner.

“I think not, Alex” says Logan, crossing his arms.

“Joo Seok Kyung, I am so disappointed” says Su-Ryeon, sulking.

“You two together…I should have known you would be up to no good”

“If you knew…you shouldn’t have left your guard off…but you were too busy being lovey-dovey with my sister-in-law”

“Mom…you can’t blame me, I allowed you to get closer to Logan this way I am sure” replied Seok Kyung, grinning mischievously.

 

After getting out of the store, Hye-In drag them in front of a Christmas tree

“Here let’s take a picture...at school they already know that mom is beautiful...imagine their faces when they see how handsome Logan is” Logan freezes on the spot.

Su-Ryeon covers . Seok Kyung sneers

“How corny...look at that...they are so cringy” Alex nods.

“He look indeed stupid when he is with Su-Ryeon and Hye-In. But he is still my cute little brother so pipe down” Alex answers.

“Shut up old man...why do you care ?” she replies with a shrug.

“Mom...at this point we should take one all together,” adds Hye-In, gesturing for Rona and Seok Hoon to approach.

“No...I don’t want to...how embarrassing...” replies Seok Kyung, taking a step backward. But Su-Ryeon caught her hand.

“We barely take pictures together...please make an effort my baby” Seok-Kyung sighs and comes beside her mother as Hye-In asks a passerby to take the picture.

Logan looks away, scratching his head. He is not used to that kind of thing. Su-Ryeon turns his head toward the camera before linking arms with him. She looks really happy so Logan complies. Seok-Kyung elbows Alex

“Will you move it already...why are you next to me ?”

“You brat...where am I supposed to go ? stop making a scene”

 

LR.At least they are alone, but all Su-Ryeon thinks about is food…or so it seems.

 

At least in the evening, Logan and Su-Ryeon get to spend time alone as they are walking along the street-food stalls at the night market. The others are minding their own things at other stalls.

“It looks delicious…” she says, stopping in front of a ginger-bread stall.

“Madam...do you want to taste it ? we have all kinds of different ginger-bread” says the vendor, leaning in with a plate.

“Here it’s sugar-coated...here it’s gingerbread fruitcake...here this one is plain with sugar pearls” Su-Ryeon looks lost.

“What should I do...they all look awesome” she asks, turning her head toward Logan.

“Knowing you...you should just take it all”

“I’m not a glutton…” answers Su-Ryeon, pouting.

“Sure...please give her a piece of each so that she can taste each one”

“I am not a glutton” she repeats.

“Yes...yes...just taste this” he answers, stretching his cup of mulled wine toward her.

“It’s so sweet...I like it” she says, taking the cup from his hand.

“What…my wine…”

“You can eat this” she adds, pointing to the bag he is holding. Logan shrugs helplessly.

“Please give me another cup of wine, please” They resumed walking after they paid.

She stops in front of another stall and looks at Christmas glass balls.

“You really like this kind of thing...how unexpected” notes Logan.

“I liked it so much before...I missed it...that person wasn’t exactly the kind to enjoy that kind of thing…our family gatherings weren’t exactly cheerful” He wipes out a sugar-pearl from the cookie she was eating off her lip.

“I see...you will catch up from now on...you are reunited with everyone…”

“And you are here too…” she adds, looking down.

 

She stops in front of another food stall a few minutes later to Logan own’s surprise.

“This one is classic in winter, sweet potatoes” she explains, taking the bag after they paid.

“You really love food,” he answers, laughing.

“You don’t understand…” she says, sitting on a bench and gesturing to him to sit beside her.

“It’s not about the food here...it’s about doing a couple thing with you” she explains, holding out the hot paper containing the potatoes to him.

“I see...I get it now” he answers after taking a bite.

“I just want to enjoy normal things with you,” she says, looking up at the sky. He wraps his arm around her shoulders, She rests her head on his shoulders, closing her eyes.

“I see...we will do whatever you wish to do...just tell me, what do you want to do ?”

“Hmmmm...I want to take photos together...go to the movies… go to the beach...cook together...dance…I just want to do a lot of things...” Logan laughs after hearing her words.

“A lot of things...noted”

“What about Logan ?” she asks, turning her head toward him.

“Hmmm...I don’t have anything really in mind. Just walk around with you like this, spending time together...I guess it takes another meaning instantly if you are with me...but I’ll think about it”

“You are so vague...you are so complicated sometimes” she answers.

“How am I complicated ? I only need Su-Ryeon here” he replies.

“Maybe travel together…to the places we wanted to visit when we spoke about it that day” he adds after pondering more on the question.

“At least it’s a starting point”