Chapter 9 : Aegyo's longing, Logan's unexpected savior

Rewriting the Stars, A penthouse Logryeon fanfic

Logan was looking absent-mindedly at the windows in his room at the Fairmont Hotel when Yoonhee called him back.

"Logan, I found her, I found Na Ae Gyo" Logan is agitated "You did ? Where is she ? I'm coming over right now"

"Calm down...I have installed the tracking device just now, I'll let you know when I confirm it, so just wait a little more" answers Yoonhee

"Right...I should be patient...you’re right...be sure to call me then." says Logan before hanging up. They had found Na Ae Gyo at least. He searched for her everywhere but she had disappeared after that day he met her...after Su-Ryeon died. Then one month ago he heard she was back in Korea but he couldn't find her until now. He has so much to ask to that woman. Reminiscing about Su-Ryeon, Logan becomes melancholic "I'm really sorry Su-Ryeon-ssi...I have come too late".

He didn’t forget about her one single day. When he was focusing on revenge he was almost fine. But the pain came back each time he was staying idle. He was staying at the same suite they shared before. He couldn’t help but to be drawn to it, even if he knew it would also torment him to come back here. His only drive now was to make Joo Dan Tae pay for what he has done to Su-Ryeon. He would probably not be fine ever again. For him, life has lost all its remaining colors when she died.  But at least, she, Shim Su Ryeon would be able to rest in peace.

Logan let himself drop on the bed, not bothering to get under the covers.

He felt so drawn out all of sudden. He fell into a deep slumber.

His dreams are usually just confusing scenes flashing without any sense or central theme. The only coherent ones he had were about her...and his failure. It started after Yoon Hee told him the whole story. Always the same, he walks to Su-Ryeon and raises her body covered in blood in his arms, but it’s already too late. But in the one he has that night Seol Ah is here. She is sitting across from him at a table. She is smiling peacefully.

“It’s been awhile big brother...at last I managed to get you out from there”

“Seol...Seol Ah ?”

He rushed to hug his sister.

“Seol Ah...Seol Ah...where were you ? Why do you appear only now ? Do you know how much I missed you ?”  He knew it was only a dream, but she felt so real, he couldn’t help it.

“Hmmmm...I tried before...but you wouldn’t let me approach you...you should take care of yourself more, look at you...you have lost so much weight” she says, pulling away from her brother.

“Seol Ah...I am so sorry…”

“I have forgiven you already for a long time...why do you keep apologizing”

“Your mother...I couldn’t do anything…”

“Really ?” she asks with a mysterious smile.

“Is she with you ? How is she ? Is she at peace ? are you…” Logan shakes his head.

“It’s only a dream...you wouldn’t have the answer to that question...how stupid”

“Is that really ?”

“What are you talking about ?”

“Then if I told you I didn’t see her you wouldn’t believe me...because it’s only a dream, right ?” she asks again, tilting her head

“What do you mean she isn’t with you ? she wouldn’t end up elsewhere than where you are…”

“You will just forget what I said anyway...oh...it’s already that time, I guess you need to go...see you soon”

Logan wakes up confused, seems he just dreams of his sister but he can’t recall exactly what they talked about.

Few hours in the night Ae-Gyo has it again...that dreadful nightmare. She should be used to it by now. She has recovered her identity. She is at Jakomo when her phone rings. It's Logan. Excited, she takes the call. He is waiting for her outside. She strides happily toward the exits when she bumps into a man. The blue roses bouquet she is holding fall on the floor.

After excusing herself from the man she goes outside. Logan got out of his car, smiling brightly.

Ae-Gyo starts to turn in her bed, she knows what will happen next, she has had that awful nightmare almost everyday since she was separated from him. But she can’t wake up. She crosses paths with a man, his face is blurry and she can’t identify him. Logan calls out for her, but his hand stops mid-way, his expression changing. Then the car explodes. The sound of shattered glass and crumpling metal is deafening. She is lying on the pavement, stunned.

She doesn’t even hear her own voice screaming his name on the top of her lungs. Ae-Gyo flashed her eyes open. She takes time to register that the sound ringing in her ears is her own voice. Curled up in a ball on the bed she is sweating profusely. She buries her head in her hands, tormented. “I will never let that happen...never” she says, weeping.

 

Two days later, Logan is getting bitter observing Na Ae Gyo chilling at the gym, like she had no care in the world.  Yoonhee had pinpointed Na Ae Gyo's location yesterday. But she was never alone. He couldn’t approach her at all. Today she was also surrounded by Joo Dan Tae's minions. He even recognized that guy, Secretary Jo if he recalls correctly. Logan approaches with a dumbbell in his hands. He was wearing glasses, a fake birth mark and had curled his hair to not be recognized.He wasn't supposed to be back in Korea so he must not under any conditions be noticed by an acquaintance of Dan Tae.

Mr. Jo was explaining to her that she shouldn't be seen in that kind of place and offered to take her home.

Annoyed, Na Ae Gyo stands up "Am I supposed to be hiding in the woods all day then ?" 

Secretary Jo replies that it’s a direct order from Joo Dan Tae himself.

“No kidding” thinks Logan. That man only considered his people as pawns after all. He isn’t surprised he wouldn't leave an ounce of freedom to that woman. As he understood, she was one of Joo Dan Tae's lovers even when he was married to Su-Ryeon. That man was a serial cheater. He is about to get married to another of his mistresses, Cheon Seo Jin.

“I won’t pity that witch...but Su-Ryeon-ssi didn’t deserve it...Joo Dan Tae, that bastard...I’m sure he killed her...” swears Logan internally.

After saving Oh Yoonhee when she was agonizing that night, they talked again. At the time he still had trouble believing her, but now it’s crystal clear to him.

Especially after coming across that unhinged housekeeper of his, Ms Yang. He planned it all with Cheon Seo Jin and they framed Yoonhee. He is jolted out of his thoughts when Ae Gyo kicks one of the men violently. Grabbing a towel, she wraps it around the neck of one of the men and choke him before pushing him on the floor.  

"Get lost ! Anyone here who is stupid enough to lay a finger on me...should be prepared to be crippled" she warns before sitting again at the bench and starting exercising ,totally unbothered.

Logan is annoyed by the fact he feels slightly admirative. He knew she had a temper, but he didn't know she could also fight. The men now stand at a good distance from her. 

Seems he won’t be able to approach her today. Sighing he walks toward the exit.

Ae-Gyo tries to focus on her exercises again. But it’s hard. Joo Dan Tae’s men keep standing there.  And even since she reached the gym earlier, she has the impression someone was following her. Looking in front of her, she almost jumps. There is definitely someone, she can see him in the reflection in the windows situated just in front of her. 

“Who is it ? Why does it look kinda familiar ?” she wonders, her pulse accelerating.

When she gets out later she tries to find out who it was but to no avail.

“What if...it was him ?” she wonders

But she discards these thoughts immediately. “Why would Logan be here ? Besides, he shouldn’t be here. It’s too dangerous. How can I be so selfish to even dream of meeting him here in Seoul ?” she mentally berates herself.

When she comes back to the country house, Dan Tae is waiting for her. Looks like she is about to be stressed out even more... She comes to sit beside him at the bar when he pushes toward her a gift box. Opening it she discovers a leather ensemble.Faking a smile she thanks him, before kissing him on the cheek. “Did something good happen today ?” she asks cheerfully. “The best thing that happened is you coming back” he says tenderly before kissing her. She holds back her urge to push him away and punches him right in the face.Thanking him again she bid him goodbye until they met again at the shooting range later in the evening.

Once the door is closed she winces, disgusted. That outfit doesn’t suit her at all. But she has to admit it’s totally Na Ae Gyo’s style. So the man knew his “woman” tastes really well. 

Just thinking about wearing something Dantae offered made her feel sick to the core.

During their 20 years of marriage he was the one who chose what she had to wear, what parties she should go to, what she should cook and eat...He probably never ever loved her. She was just an obsession, a puppet.Going to the faucet she rinses vigorously. She still has the taste of his lips on her. A kiss was not supposed to feel like this....She would know for having felt the polar opposite two times in her life...She hops in the shower. Trying to shake off that nasty feeling from earlier she scrubs herself compulsively. Clamping her eyes shut, she tries to carry her mind elsewhere. 

Logan’s intoxicating vanilla scent, his cool lips on her, his breath quickening as he entwined his fingers with her just before he made love to her...his husky voice against her ear... The memory alone sent warm tingles all over her body. Her breath getting ragged, she unknowingly reached for her lips with her hand. “How much I wish I could kiss you again...Logan” she whispers, her head spinning.

Feeling her body tensing up in some areas, she flashes her eyes open, trying to prevent the sweet memory from overcoming her completely. “I need to stay strong. I need to stay strong…” she says repeatedly, hugging herself as the hot water keeps washing over her, making her more dizzy than ever.

 

Meanwhile, back at his suite, Logan opens the door inviting Yoonhee in.

Listening to the broadcast of the voice-tracking device together, Yoonhee is wondering if Na Ae Gyo is special in Joo Dan Tae's heart because she is his children's mother. “Even a monster like him can love someone sincerely ? it’s unbelievable ” 

“Love ? I’m pretty sure that bastard doesn’t know what love is...he is all about controlling people’s lives like they are mere puppets” he wonders, shaking his head in disbelief.“Something is off...8 months ago Na Ae Gyo was determined to escape from Joo Dan Tae”replies Logan.

“She even revealed to him Joo Dantae’s weakness, to me, a complete stranger. It says a lot.” he thinks as Yoon-Hee argues back.

“No...they are completely on the same side” Logan is getting irritated. Was it because she looked like Shim Su Ryeon ? Just contemplating this possibility makes him even angrier, but toward himself.

"I don't care ! we don't have time, I need to ask her what Dan Tae did to Su-Ryeon, I won't make the same mistake again" 

Yoonhee looked at him for a moment before asking cautiously.

"What was going on between you and Su-Ryeon ? the stepbrother and the mother...teaming up to avenge Seol Ah...Nothing more ?"

A lump starts to form in his throat. He doesn’t want to go onto that subject, at all.

"I...I...don’t want to talk about it right now, let’s just focus on the matter at hand...I...”

Yoonhee looks at him sadly. He still didn't realize that he loved her ? or was he only fooling himself at this point ? It made her feel even more guilt. Like it was even possible. Why did she have to do that ? Why did she betray Su-Ryeon ? She loved her friend so much, why did she break these people's lives ?

Later in the evening Logan is keeping track of Na Ae Gyo as usual. She had apparently agreed to meet Joo Dan Tae tonight at a shooting stand. From his car he is listening to their conversation. Joo Dan Tae is talking about selling off some of his properties.

It Looked like he was in need of funds.He then talked about a certain district who was about to be designed as a speculative zone. He was explaining to Ae Gyo that the district becoming speculative would prevent people from taking loans. As such, it would eliminate most of the competition. Because not everyone could muster millions of dollars without borrowing from banks first. Hearing him praising Ae Gyo next, thanking her for her help with Mr. Jung, Logan guesses that he is probably referring to Jung Doo Man, Na Ae Gyo's lover.

“Is she really selling off information from her boyfriend to benefit Joo Dan Tae ? Like Yoonhee said, is that woman Dan Tae's ally ? But she looked so determined when I met her...what is the truth ?” he wonders, shaking his head. "Come to think of it, I pity Shim Su Ryeon, in her whole life she didn't know much about her own husband," says Ae-Gyo.

Logan’s chest tightens painfully upon hearing Su-Ryeon’s name.Dan Tae dismisses her "I don't want to talk about that woman on such a happy day" 

Logan lets his mind wander briefly as Ae Gyo says something about shooting her last bullet and is teasing Joo Dan Tae when the tone of the conversation shifts suddenly."Tell me the truth now, you already tried to betray me 8 months ago, right ?" Asks Dan Tae.

Aegyo's voice sounds cautious, hinting to Logan that something is off. "What are you doing ?" He gets out of his car, and starts to approach the shooting venue.

Hiding behind a small wall he curses under his breath. Joo Dan Tae's minions are guarding the main entrance. In his earpiece, the conversation keeps going until he hears people struggling. 

He walks around the building and spots a back-door. He is getting inside when he hears a loud crash. Dan Tae is now whining. What he hears next propels him to hurry, Na Ae Gyo is gasping, like she is out of air.

When he reaches the room Dan Tae is strangling Na Ae Gyo on the floor. Logan approaches, grabbing one of the guns that was left on the floor. Getting behind Dan Tae without a single sound he strikes him as strongly as he can on the head. Dan Tae falls on the floor, unconscious.

Logan rushes to Na Ae Gyo and lifts her in his arms, He has to get out of here as fast as possible, Dan Tae's men will probably barge in here any time soon  and will notice Na Ae Gyo is missing immediately. He runs to his car and lays her down on the backseat.He started the car and drove as fast as he could. He saw them briefly chasing after him in the rear-view before turning at the next intersection. Thankfully he had spotted a deserted land not far away from here. He stops the car and opens the back door. 

 

Logan shakes Na Ae Gyo to wake her up. He notices she has stopped breathing. Trying to keep calm, he takes a deep breath and leans down toward her.

His heart is racing the whole time while he is doing CPR on her. Each breath of air makes him more and more uneasy.

“I am only trying to save someone else’s life here...so what is wrong with that ?” He rationalizes mentally. She resumes breathing a short while after. As Logan reaches for her lips one last time, Ae-Gyo shifts slightly, letting out a moan so low it sounds like a whisper. Logan literally jumps away from her, as he had been burnt on contact.

“What is wrong with me ? Am I becoming insane because I miss her too much ? Na Ae-Gyo and Shim Su-Ryeon are two different people...Su-Ryeon...Su-Ryeon-ssi isn’t in this world anymore...I need to stop fooling myself right now” he thinks, shaking his head.Na Ae Gyo shifts in her slumber. Placing a hand on her forehead he notices her skin is icy to the touch. Maybe he should bring her back to the hotel until she wakes up. Staying in the cold like this wasn’t good.After covering her with his jacket, he starts the car again and heads toward the Fairmont Hotel.