Chapter 12 : Aegyo takes a big decision, Logan prepare for his revenge

Rewriting the Stars, A penthouse Logryeon fanfic

Ae-Gyo meets with Jung Doo Man as she is getting to the ballroom's entrance.

"Can we talk ?" 

Once they are alone in one of the VIP's room Doo Man asks her

"Su-Ryeon, who was that man earlier ?"

Su-Ryeon flinches. Did he actually witness what happened just before ? 

"Actually I'm the reason he could enter the party tonight. As you know, it was a private event" Ae-Gyo is baffled.

"His secretary tried to approach me a few times. At first I thought he wanted to see me. Either he changed his mind at the last second, or it wasn't really me he was after in the first place" he says. 

He chooses his next words carefully, trying to be as sensitive as possible.

"I heard the two of you talking...that man seems to really care about you, as in the real you, Shim Su-Ryeon." 

"That's exactly why I want him to back off...after what happened by my fault…" answers Ae-Gyo, her voice cracking at the last sentence.

"Su-Ryeon, what happened to Ae Gyo is not your fault. Besides...are you sure you are really protecting him by avoiding him ? " says Doo Man softly.

"What do you mean ?" Ae-Gyo is confused by his words. He shakes off his head with a smile.

"If I'm not mistaken, he tried to approach you a few times already ? " Ae-Gyo nods in approbation.

"People never give up when seeking justice for their loved ones...Please think about it. Being a public figure I cannot help you out, the only thing I can do is protect your identity. "

He concludes before raising from the couch.

On her way home. Ae-Gyo kept thinking about Doo Man's words.Can she really work with Logan again ? 

When she come back, she jumps in fright when she notices Dan-Tae was waiting for her on the sofa, a stupid smile plastered on his face. 

“What are you doing here ?” She asks as Dan-Tae raises on his feet and approaches her, encircling her waist.

“Nothing...I just missed you...how did the party with Jung Doo Man go ?” 

“Just fine...he releases juicy information as always,” she answers. She notices he look at her

lips. Is he going to kiss her again ? She pleads silently he won’t. Especially after what happened earlier. She wants Logan’s lips to be her last memory today. But what she dreads happens. She averts her head.

“What’s wrong ?” Asks Dan Tae, puzzled. Scratching her neck Ae-Gyo answers

“I had alcohol, I had to stick to that man, smiling like an idiot all night, I’m tired. I just don’t want to play with you tonight, so just go away !” Seeing her lashing at him, Dan Tae raises his hand to appease her.

“Calm down honey, Just go take a rest, let’s meet tomorrow” He says, taking a step backward. Thankfully he got the hint and left soon after to Aegyo’s relief. Back at the hotel, Logan is pacing in his bedroom.

He is not only troubled by her likeness with Su-Ryeon. When Ae-Gyo kissed him earlier it felt like Su-Ryeon. He carries his finger to his lips again.

“Blackberry...just like her… but it just can’t be...I need to stop fooling myself...did I make a mistake approaching her ?” he thinks, sitting on his bed. He shakes his head.

“No...I have to keep going. I am doing it for Su-Ryeon-ssi’s sake, it is the right way. I have to hang in there” He lies down on his side. Tonight it’s especially hard. Each time he closes his eyes he sees Su-Ryeon behind his closed eyelids. He tries to fight it back but a tear rolls on his cheek. He is so tired and he misses her especially strongly tonight. The next day, in the afternoon, Ae-Gyo goes shopping again. She is bored out of her mind staying home all the time. She had managed to sneak out of Secretary Jo and his men again. Seeing people busying themselves with their purchases gave her the illusion she was still among them. Living normally. Christmas is approaching, the mall is already decorated, illuminated. After wandering a little she spots a petite red-haired woman in a soft pink coat. 

"Oh Yoon Hee ?" Wonders Aegyo

She's not alone. At first Ae-Gyo thought it could be Ha Yoonchul, since she heard that they got married recently. But it turns out the man is Logan. They enter a cosmetic store.

"Why is he out shopping with Yoonhee ?" ponders Ae-Gyo irritated.

She enters the shop discreetly and hides behind an eye shadow stall. A clerk approaches her but Ae-Gyo gestures to her silently to not say anything. The woman shook her head before turning back. Logan places his hand on Yoon Hee's shoulder briefly as a customer tries to cross the alley they are in. Ae-Gyo clenches her fist reflexively.

“Careful,” he says, pushing Yoon Hee out of the way to allow the customer to pass.

“I am sorry…” says Yoon Hee in apology to the woman.

“Why am I reacting like this...he only did this out of courtesy” laments Ae-Gyo mentally.

Logan says "I own you one today. I had to choose something for Hyein but we just didn't get it with Mr. Hong with all these brands...we were losing our minds. Thank you for taking care of the twins's gifts as well."  Yoon Hee let out a small laugh.

“It’s fine...actually it helps me keep my mind off...How is Hye-In by the way ?” asks Yoon Hee, fetching a cushion foundation from the shelf.

“She is fine...at first it was hard. But now she feels better and is on the way to recovery...”

Yoon Hee turns his head toward him.

“That’s good to hear...Su-Ryeon-unni would be relieved to know you are taking care of her and even keep checking about the twins” she answers.

“It’s you who watch over the twins...not me though” 

“I am happy to be able to do something for Su-Ryeon-unni...I owe her and you at least that much...what about this one ? isn’t that the brand Hye-In asked for ?” she says, showing him another foundation.

“I think it is...thank you so much...how confusing” he replies with a smile.

Ae-Gyo’s chest fills with tenderness. 

“Did you keep watching over the children all this time ?” she wonders as they are heading toward the checkout front.

Ae-Gyo exits the store discreetly, She still feels irritated that the two got closer but the two of them are watching over her kids in her stead. She mainly feels gratefulness here.

She misses them so much...Seokhoon, Seokkyung and Hyein. 

On the same day in the evening.

Ae-Gyo pondered on the idea for a long time before grabbing her phone and sending a text to Logan. Seeing him caring for the kids propelled her to take that decision.

“I’m okay to meet the kids, but don’t get the wrong idea, it doesn’t mean I agree to team up with you” Waiting for his reply she paces in her bedroom, restless. She can’t help but be excited when she hears the beep of her phone. She rushed to open the text message.

“I asked Yoonhee to meet you at Coffee Bay tomorrow at 5pm. Good night”

The next day.

Ae-Gyo starts to weep softly when she sees her kids from afar. Her heart sinks when she hears the excited voice of Seok Hoon when he learns that their birth mother is still alive.

Seok-Kyung stands up and starts to argue with Yoonhee.

“Did I ever ask for my birth mother ? How dare she act as if she is our mother now ? I only have one mom...That fake mom...I don’t need it !” she shouts before exiting the bar.

Seok-Hoon apologizes to Yoonhee before following her sister.

Na Ae-Gyo exits the coffee-shop discreetly. When Yoonhee turns back, she is already gone.

Wandering on the streets, she can’t stop her tears. She knew it would be painful to see them so close, but it still hurt. At least they look healthy…

“I missed you my babies…” she says between two sobs.

In the late afternoon, as she is heading toward Logan's room she can't help but to feel the scene is oddly familiar. 7 months ago she took the exact same steps toward that room, with the same apprehensiveness in her heart when she accepted to team up with Logan for the first time. 

Her arm is heavy when she reaches for the doorbell.

She hears footsteps approaching and the door opens to a surprised Logan.

She takes a seat and invites him to do the same with a nod. Seems like he only got out of the shower wonders Ae-Gyo, noticing the towel around his shoulders and his wet hair. He towels it absent-mindly. Her eyes follow as a single droplet of water rolls on his neck, stopping its course on his chest. Her heart starts to race again. 

"So what brought you here, Na Ae Gyo ?"

"That talk we had yesterday...I mean, I might be slightly interested." answers Ae-Gyo, taking a bored expression. Logan ponders on her answer, observing her and trying to guess her true intentions. "What made you change your mind out of the blue ?" 

"That's not your business, I said yes, isn't that enough ?" she answers curtly before switching subjects.  He is about to answer when his phone rings. He looks at his phone and stands up.

“Can you excuse me ? I need to take that call, I will be over in a minute” he says, going over his bedroom. Ae-Gyo takes a deep breath. Staying in the same space as him is nerve-wracking. She is startled out of her thoughts when she hears her daughter’s name. Her eyes fill with tears to her own dismay.

“Hye-In...how are you doing, small devil ? Yes...I know...I miss you too....I will be back soon I promise...you just eat well and do your exercises...listen to the doctors and the nurses,alright ? Yes...I will call you back soon, okay ?” Logan says softly before hanging up. Ae-Gyo rubs her eyes in a hurry before he comes back.

That single call threw her off completely, she needs to regain her composure immediately and distract his attention. He sits in front of her again as she smirks at him.

"You tell me, why are you so kept on pursuing justice for that woman, was she your little girlfriend ?" Logan stays silent after her question. Ae-Gyo breaks into laughter.

"What...don't tell me you were in love with her or something" she pursues, mocking him.

Logan flinches at her last question, His voice is full of regret when he answers her.

"I...I wanted to make her happy, I should have protected her...I was such a fool, I will never forgive myself…"

Taken aback by his sudden confession, she feels tears welling up in her eyes again. But she cannot break up in tears right now, she needs to pull herself together. 

"Waaah...I can't believe it. You're really an idiot. Risking your life for that...did she even reciprocate...these burning feelings of yours ? she asks, making fun of him again.

Infuriated Logan heaves a sigh.

"It doesn't matter, just tell me why you changed your mind already"

"I don't bet on useless things like love...I only trust the money in my hands. I put my life on the line for that. And I will crush everything that stands in my way…" Logan is troubled by her words. That person told him something similar one day...Logan is only half listening as Ae-Gyo keeps talking.

"Joo Dan Tae has become boring. I want to take the sweet money and be out with it. That's all. What's your plan anyways ? Better be good or you can forget it" Snapping out of his reverie, Logan exposes his plan to Ae-Gyo.

"Shim Su-Ryeon had a daughter. She owns a parcel of land. Joo Dan Tae is literally obsessed with that lot. Want to build a village in his name here or something...I'm planning on luring him by putting the lot on sale...Once the rumour that a renovation gets out, people will rush to buy. Once the prices skyrocket...I'm going to crush them all" 

"Crush who exactly ? Did other people offend you or something?"

"That...it's really not your business. What about what I asked? When you negotiate you have to bring something on the table right ? That thing about Joo Dan Tae's true identity...I need to know more" says Logan, not willing to answer her question.

Ae-Gyo is distraught. She is unable to answer. What if Logan notices something is off ? She is cornered. “What would the real Ae-Gyo do ?” she wonders, feeling the weight of his stare on her.

"That we will talk about it when I am satisfied with the reward. And I expect a good one. Not some pocket money I'm warning you" she replies before raising on her feet.

"Now that we're clear, I have to go. Have something more important to do than staring at some pretty face" she says while stretching her arms and yawning. She then exits the door.

Once Na Ae Gyo left, Logan calls Secretary Hong. He has expected Na Ae Gyo wouldn’t want to cooperate that easily and would try to push off the whole talk about Joo Dan Tae the longer time possible. Mr. Hong, they had already begun digging into Dan Tae’s past.  They had managed to find out that they were living in Japan when Dan Tae’s parents were murdered. Mr. Hong explains that he had managed to put his hands on the file of the investigation and was looking into it.

He looks at his watch. He has to meet Yoonhee in half an hour. He has to go.

Oh Yoonhee is already waiting at the bar counter when he arrives.

“I’m sorry to be late. I was held back somewhere.” he explains.

Oh Yoonhee pushes a glass of whisky toward him. “I don’t mind, what’s happened ?”

“Thank you. Actually Na Ae Gyo visited me earlier...I was surprised. She is with us, at least.”

Yoonhee is startled. “Wow...I didn’t expect that...did she give you a reason ? Do you think it was meeting the kids ?” Logan shakes his head.

“I don’t know...she said it was purely for money...I can’t get my head around that woman...she is too unpredictable…” 

Yoonhee nods while sipping her martini.

“Well...that’s great news...I guess...Why did you need to see me by the way ?” 

Yoonhee gestures for him to continue.

“I tried looking around about Hye In’s birth mother...and I found something strange. Don’t be surprised...One of Su-Ryeon-ssi’s kin could be still alive…”

Yoonhee opens her eyes wide.

“That’s...what do you mean ?” Logan leans toward her and speaks in a low voice.

“Su-Ryeon-ssi...she..she expected twins... She thought that one of them died in her womb...But what I discovered during my research is that one baby was born quite healthy weighing 2,5kg. The other was born very weak,weighing only 1,4kg and was transferred to Korea, it turned out to be Seol Ah...Meaning that Joo Dan Tae may have not only switched Seol Ah and Hye In, but another newborn too...But I don’t know if the second twin is still alive to this day”

Speechless, Yoonhee raises her hand to stop him before speaking “ Wait wait...let me take in the information...It’s shocking......Joo Dan Tae...that bastard...but how do you even know this ?”  

“She told me about it one day” He didn’t elaborate. Yoonhee doesn’t need to know under what circumstances Su-Ryeon confided in him after all.

Yoonhee doesn’t press him for answers. As she had guessed, these two were way closer than what it seemed originally.

“For now I got it...but why are you searching for her child ? I don’t want to say this but...Logan, she is gone...you need to accept it...just”

Logan turns toward her, maybe telling his feelings to Ae-Gyo earlier freed him a little.

“I should have done better to protect Su-Ryeon-ssi... I won’t be able to forgive myself for failing her…but at least if I can uncover the truth on this matter....help me out on this one” Yoonhee ponders on the idea before speaking again.

“Fine...actually it could be a good way to make amends to both of you...I’ll do it”

Logan gets a plastic’s bag out of his coat’s pocket.

“That day...when we ran away from Fairmont...I put it in my suitcase...I never got the chance to return it to her” Yoonhee takes the bag, it contains a hair-brush.

“I see...I will do my best to find out the truth, I promise” assures Yoonhee.

The next day, Na Ae Gyo calls Logan as she promised, He explains that he is going over to the Golden Estate agency with Oh Yoon Hee right now.

"So...why this real estate agency in particular ?” ask Ae Gyo

"The manager of this agency...he is acquainted with a really influential business woman. She's part of a trio called the three madams. Her name is Mme Song." start explaining Logan.

"When he hears that I plan to invest here he is probably going to tell her the info...the news will spread rapidly. That's my goal actually." He continued.

“Once Joo Dan Tae learns that people are starting to buy on the lot he is eyeing, he will surely start to panic” adds Logan. “I’ll tell you more later, we have just arrived.” 

Once he hangs up, Logan and Yoonhee enter the Golden Estate Agency, where an amiable white-haired man greets them.

Yoonhee starts to speak to the agency manager, Mr.Hwang Geum Bong.

Explaining she would be interested in looking into properties in Cheonsoo’s district.

The man is surprised and advises them to invest in Opyong instead. But Yoonhee and Logan are adamant about investing in Cheonsoo.

After they finished their conversation with the manager, as they had predicted, the man exited the office and could be heard on the phone with someone.

And as they also expected, the information spreaded like fire and after Kang Mari heard it from Mme Song directly, It didn’t take much time for Go Sang Ah who was eavesdropping to rush home to tell her husband Lee Kyujin about it.

Smelling a good opportunity to invest, the Hera Palace residents took the bait easily and rushed to Golden Estate Agency to make provisional deposits for units in Cheonsoo District.

Logan and Yoon Hee go over to Fairmont after coming back from the agency.

“Now that Ae-Gyo joined us...we will sell the land to her directly”

Yoonhee argues “But...do you actually trust her ? What if she is only pretending to be on our side ? Then the land will end up in Dan Tae’s hands and it’s over ” Logan keeps on “Just trust me for now...I  will need you to accompany me to the agency for the sale, because the lot is in your name…” Yoon Hee sighs.

“Fine...if you think it’s the way to go, I agree...when do you plan to sell it to her ?”

“I need to call her first...can I text you later ?”

“Alright...if we are finished I will head home”

Few hours later, Dan Tae comes to the country house again. 

Na AeGyo’s biggest advantage was that she could witness Dan Tae’s reaction first hand. They are having a drink when he starts to rant.

“People have started to buy massively in Cheonsoo's district. I don’t know who leaked the information. That useless idiot Jo couldn’t even tell me who it was or who was buying !” shouts Dan Tae, putting down his glass violently on the coffee table. Now that she confirmed that their plans worked, she doesn’t have time to listen to his nonsense. 

She points to a card he is holding. “What is that ?” she asks. She knows full well what it is. But she need a very good excuse to get angry and push Dan Tae in a corner…This is an invitation to his and Cheon Seo Jin’s wedding. She will use it as leverage to force him to put Cheonsoo’s district properties under her name.

Dan Tae complies easily and even gives her more information than what she actually expected. He is actually blackmailing Cheon Seo Jin to force her to marry him. Once they are wed,He will become Cheong Ah’s group's biggest shareholder. Faking jealousy, Ae-Gyo demands that he not only put properties under her name, but that he also give her 70% of the benefits.If he accepted the deal, she would start to bid starting tomorrow and would even buy the land under Yoonhee’s name. Cornered, Dan Tae agreed in defeat. 

Once Dan Tae is gone Ae-Gyo calls Logan. He picks up almost immediately. Hearing his warm voice at the other end of the line manages to ease down her tension from seeing Dan Tae immediately. Drinking and acting cosy with that man was always making her nervous and nauseous, each single time.

“Any news from buyers ?” she asks.

“ Kang Mari and Go Sang Ah took the bait, the tips we leaked worked just fine” 

“Time to make our next move then. I managed to make him agree to put Cheonsoo’s district units under my name and even got the promise he would give me 70% of the benefits until he divorce from that witch. Too bad I won’t wait for his sweet until then. I would be really far away already when he does” chuckle Ae-Gyo

“Good, Just earlier we contacted the manager again and asked him to put the lot on sale” answers Logan.

“I guess it’s my time to shine, I’ll go over there and ask to buy it...when should we do it ?” answers Ae-Gyo.

“I already notified Yoon Hee earlier...let’s go over there tomorrow...what about 2.00pm ?”

“Fine...I will go first, you two join me at the appointed time”

After they hang up she doesn’t put the phone away from her ear right away. How Ae-Gyo wishes she could have talked a little more with him..but apart from their timely cooperation, they have no reason to chit-chat together.

“He looks close to Oh Yoon Hee now...they are only working together but…” Ae-Gyo knows she has no reason to be jealous, but she is slightly irritated nonetheless.