Chapter 8 : SuRyeon's new identity and Logan's grief

Rewriting the Stars, A penthouse Logryeon fanfic

6 month later (Please be aware that the time between their reunion was shortened to 7 months instead of 2 years and a half)

After Dan Tae's men had kidnapped him, Logan was chained for days in that creepy warehouse. He recalled how that man had kept taunting him as he was asking desperately who killed Shim Su Ryeon. Logan didn't know for how long he had been chained to that chair. One day ? Two days ? He had lost track of time the moment he saw that video. It couldn't be true, Shim Su Ryeon couldn't be dead. The rest was like a very long nightmare.

Dan Tae had made a deal with his own father James Lee.

He had put his hands on his transactions records with congressman Cheon Sang Heon about Min Seol Ah's illegal adoption. He was ready to release his son, on the only condition that James hand him back the Myeong Dong plot. How could his father trample on Seol Ah again ?? Didn't he understand that Logan didn't want an innocent child to be sacrificed for him ?

All they have done with Su-Ryeon has gone to dust. And now she was dead too. He couldn't protect Seol Ah, he vowed he would save her mother, but he failed.

Why did he leave Su-Ryeon alone that day ? He should have stayed behind.

Logan felt helpless the whole time. That bastard was mocking his sister and Su-Ryeon’s death but he couldn’t fight back, when all he wanted was to stand up and kill him on the spot.

“How would it feel to witness you on that floor, agonizing ? you would beg me to spare your miserable life. You would feel life slipping away and you wouldn’t be able to do anything about it. Just like what you all did to her...even if Oh Yoonhee did it you were probably here, watching as she gave out her last breath” Looking down, lost in his thoughts, his eyes started to fill with tears. Dan Tae had left him behind, his laugh echoing in the warehouse as Logan was screaming desperately who killed Su-Ryeon.

He had hopped in the plane, escorted by Joo Dan Tae's men like a zombie. He couldn't think about anything else besides his pain and his regret.

Once he landed in the USA he moved out rapidly from his parent’s home and settled at a Hotel. He didn’t wish to see them for the time being. He agreed to meet his brother from time to time after a little while. About a week after he arrived he mustered the courage to go see Hye In.

The hospital door’s room was ajar “Mom...where are you ? I miss you…” lamented Hye In, looking at her mom’s only picture.His hand on the door knob froze. He clamped his eyes shut, stopping back his tears.

“If I cry now...how am I supposed to be able to tell her ? I must be strong” He opened the door.

“Logan...when did you arrive ? Is mom with you ?” he knelt in front of her, taking her hand.

“Hye In...about your mom…” she looked at him, hopeful, but she changed expression immediately when she met his eyes, a single tear was rolling on his cheek.

“Logan...are you crying ? Did...something happen to mom ? it can’t be true...she is simply late, right ?”  

“I am so sorry...Hye In...I couldn’t...I couldn’t protect her...she is gone...it’s all my fault” Hye In broke into tears. Logan sat beside her, hugging her.

“I am so sorry Hye In...I am so sorry...I am sorry...Hye In...” he doesn’t know how many times he apologized while the young girl kept crying. He left only when she had fallen asleep. Going back to his hotel room, he leant against the wall. His tears were coming back. He wouldn’t be able to fight it any longer. He let himself drop on the floor “Su-Ryeon-ssi...Su-Ryeon-ssi...”he called her name repeatedly, breaking down.

He spent the next six months busying himself taking care of Hye In. It was one of the only things that made him hang on. That and his rage. When he learnt that Oh Yoon Hee’s trial was about to take place he decided to return to Korea.

He had the intention to pay her a little visit later. For the time being he is heading for the cemetery. Logan gets out of his car with two bouquets of flowers in his hands. He walks absent-mindly as usual so he would never be able to notice that someone was following him, observing him from afar.

He placed the white lilies and violets  bouquet on Seol Ah's tomb. Kneeling down he addresses himself to his sister. "Seol Ah, I'm sorry to have been so late, I'm sorry for everything. I promised you I would make her happy, but I failed….if only...is she with you ? She is wonderful, right ? Please...tell me you are both at peace, finally together...Seol Ah... ". 

He raised and walked toward Su-Ryeon's tomb, placing the blue roses bouquet.

Her grave was placed farther away from the others, even when resting she was still lonely.

"Su-Ryeon, I just visited Seol Ah. I'm sorry...everything we have done has gone to waste. They are still living their lives happily. I'll make sure they pay, I promise you...You...You shouldn't be here, in that dark and cold place. ...if only I had done better...if only I tried harder that day...then nothing would have happened...how can I make it up to you and Seol Ah ?" Logan didn't even have tears left.  After staying still for a few minutes, he started to go back to his car.

The person that was following him earlier stopped in front of Shim Su Ryeon's tomb. She reached for one flower. Blue rose. How did he know ? Su-Ryeon never told him. She fought back her tears again. She wishes she could come out in front of him and tell him that she was right here, that she is alive. That he doesn’t have to live in guilt, because he had done nothing wrong.

Turning back to the direction he went off Su-Ryeon whispers "I missed you Logan". 

The last six month had been hell for her as well. She had been thrown into a plane toward Thailand and was living locked here like a living doll. There wasn't one single day when she didn't have a nightmare thinking about what happened. And the regret kept eating her each second.  She never tried to call him again after she was kidnapped that day. She was too terrified something would happen to him too. She thought she would be happy to at least see him from afar, but he doesn't look good. She wanted him to look healthy and happy, but he looked like all life had been drawn out of him. He even had lost some weight. It’s painful to watch.

Logan turns back one last time before getting in his car. Who is that woman standing in front of Su-Ryeon's tomb ?

She is dressed all in black like him and has short hair. Unfortunately, he doesn’t have time to check. It’s almost time for Yoon Hee to be transferred to the prison. The trial was about to end soon. He has to hurry.

Few hours later

Logan avert his eyes from the newspapers he is reading when he glimpses Oh Yoonhee raising herself with great difficulty. Earlier he had “helped” her escape when she was being transferred to the prison. After putting her to sleep he had brought her to his house. Seeing her crawling on the floor while asking where her daughter is, Logan throws the newspaper on the coffee table and stands up.

"How could you worry about your daughter after killing two people ? You really give me the creeps. You thought you would be safe now that the only witness has died...but too bad...Su-Ryeon told me everything before she died" he says while approaching her.

Logan kneels in front of her. "That you killed my little sister” Yoonhee looks at him, confused and stutters “Your little sister...did you just say your little sister ?” Logan tilts his head before answering

“Yes, my little sister, Min Seol Ah"  Yoonhee recoils when he grabs her by the shoulder.

Smiling at her coldy Logan adds "At least we met...I came all the way to Korea to find my sister's murderer...who would have thought it would turn out to be you, Yoonhee..." 

Grabbing her by the collar he makes her stand up "Why did you do that ? Why did you have to kill that poor child ? Su Ryeon believed in you until the end...she kept waiting, hoping that you would turn yourself in...even if you were the one who killed her own daughter..." As he is yelling these words, Logan has trouble suppressing his rage, his grip on Yoon Hee’s collar tighten

"If she didn't stop me that time, I would have come to kill you right away...Then she wouldn't have died in vain like that..." He explains, choking up on his last words.

But Yoonhee denies everything and pushes him away, triggering his anger. He shouts at her

"Don't lie ! you teamed up with that scumbag and asked him to get rid of Su-Ryeon... Did you know that she tried to protect you until the end ? even when she learnt the truth...but you still did that to that kind of person ?" 

Logan looks at her with contempt.

"You are not even human...so you should just die" he grabs her by the collar and drags her to the other end of the room.Taking hold of a chandelier he points it to her neck. "You piece of trash, you don't deserve to live," he concludes.

Yoon Hee recoils slightly in front of the blade before speaking

"Fine...kill me, but after I get my revenge for Su-Ryeon, I beg you, I'll let you kill me afterward, you have my word" she said.

"You really expect me to still believe in anything you say" Logan is stunned by the request of the woman. After what she has done she actually begs him to spare her ?

"You'll die here, today, the police will never find your body...Then you'll be remembered as a murderer, a fugitive and a monster who left her daughter behind to run away" he continues.

The eyes that he lay on her are dark and cold. At this moment he really means what he says, and her pleas only anger him further.

"What can I do to make you trust me ? I really didn't kill her, Joo Dan Tae framed me !" 

Logan definitely loses his cool "Shut up that darn mouth ! I will kill you too, just like you killed Seol Ah, just like Su-Ryeon ! you will die in misery and pain" After his last shout, she stops pleading. She grabs the chandelier he is holding, bracing herself.

"Fine, kill me, I deserve to be punished. I killed Seol Ah after all...but remember, Su-Ryeon's killer is still outside, free..." 

She plunges the chandelier in her neck. He steps backward when she falls on the floor, bleeding. Overcoming his initial shock he glances down at her, and his stare becomes icy again. She deserves to die on that cold floor. He exits the room, leaving her to her own fate.

He steps outside in the chilly air of October. 

“How can she ask me to believe her after killing Seol Ah and Su-Ryeon-ssi ?I did the right thing...right ? I should have done it from the beginning…” he wonders as he is pacing in the garden. But Su-Ryeon’s words come back to his mind, making him wavers.

"Do you really think Seol Ah would wish to see us turn into murderers like them ?” A single tear rolling on his cheek startles him, jolting him out of his thoughts. 

“Of course...what was I thinking...Su-Ryeon-ssi didn’t wish for that…” he spin around. He hesitates before entering his villa again, his hand on the door knob. He shakes his head and rushes inside. Yoon Hee is already on the verge of unconsciousness when he kneels in front of her, pressing on her wound to stop the bleeding. Her eyes are cloudy when she looks at him.

“L...Logan ?” she whispers

“Don’t try to talk” he answers, getting out his phone. He calls a doctor that can be trusted to not disclose Yoon Hee’s situation. Logan knows him for years, it was the same one he called back at Fairmont when Su-Ryeon was injured.

“Hang on...someone is on the way” he adds as Yoon Hee closes her eyes.

1 month later (Su-Ryeon will be referred as Na Ae-Gyo until she recovers her identity)

Na Ae Gyo gets out in the parking lot after meeting with Dan Tae and hops in a taxi. She has just given him her acts of properties. He wanted to sell off her building to gather funds quickly.

His eyes are on the lot n°27 in Cheonsoo’s District. She planned to bust him when he wouldn’t expect it. That man trusts her totally. He wouldn't see it coming. During the drive back she notices that a car has been following her for a short while. That car looks familiar, but she doesn’t remember exactly where she saw it. Stopping in a street she waits. Na Ae Gyo frowns when she recognizes the woman that had been following her. She is really lucky today...Meeting with Dantae and now Oh Yoonhee. Approaching her from behind she makes her spin around.

"You...who the hell are you ? why are you following me" 

"Su...Su-Ryeon-unni...you were alive ?" stutters Yoonhee before taking Ae Gyo’s hand in hers.

"Su-Ryeon-unni...it's me...don't you recognize me ??" asks Yoonhee, her voice broken by emotion.

Ae-Gyo shakes off her hand "How am I supposed to know you ?" 

"It's you, you are Su-Ryeon, I am sure ! Why are you pretending ?" replies Yoon Hee. 

Na Ae Gyo looks at her with disdain before answering.

"Didn't you hear me ? I said I don't know you ! what a crazy woman, you give me the creeps" 

Na Ae Gyo is going back to the taxi car when Yoonhee grabs her arm again, making her bag fall on the floor. Irritated, she  gets out her ID and shoves it in Yoon Hee’s face "Happy now ?"  As she is helping Ae-Gyo pick up her belongings on the floor Yoonhee keeps apologizing.

"I'm so sorry, you really look like someone I knew," 

Ae Gyo resumes walking when Yoonhee calls her again and gives her her phone back. Ae-Gyo sighs  when she is back in the taxi. That “accidental” meeting left her strained.Her friend’s betrayal was still present in her mind up to this day. She hasn’t forgiven her yet. She is living like a shadow. She had barely come to terms with the fact that she would have to live under another person's identity...maybe for the rest of her life. She was already exhausted after meeting that monster earlier. She feels nauseous just remembering his hands on her earlier.

“You are making me sick to the core...Joo Dan Tae” she thinks, hugging herself and closing her eyes.

She reaches the country house where she is living right now. After taking a shower she pours herself a glass of wine and heads upstairs again. Mid-way to her bedroom she turns back swiftly, her heart racing. Just now she had the impression someone called her name. But obviously, nobody is here. She must be starting to lose her mind...Because she is always alone and her only company now is that monster Joo Dan Tae.

Going to sleep has become the moment she dreads the most. She had bouts of insomnia back when she was still living in the Penthouse...But now she has nightmares every night . And she misses him. Shivering under the covers that doesn’t warm her she starts to weep softly before

breaking down in tears. Having trouble breathing normally she clutches at her chest.

Between two heartbreaking sobs she asks desperately “Where are you Logan...I miss you...” her voice echoing in the empty room.