Chapter One : The partnership begins

Rewriting the Stars, A penthouse Logryeon fanfic

The events take place directly after the fighting scene at the hotel "cupid arrow scene" in Episode 14

Su-Ryeon just poured herself a chamomile tea and is sitting on the patio of her bedroom.  She is absent-mindedly stirring the tea. One of her younger friends Yeonsoo* had gifted this tea to her, saying that her husband Dan** often prepared it for her when she had trouble calming down before sleeping.

But the untouched tea is getting cold and Suryeon can't manage to calm down her heart that is pounding in her chest. She is still thinking about the events that happened earlier today. She can’t believe she actually stabbed a man. But why did he have to barge in her life? How did he have the audacity to blackmail her to then actually suggest they team up?

She unknowingly reaches for her wrist. She can still feel the burning warmth of his hands when he grabbed her during that fight. Jolting out of these thoughts, she becomes angrier but at herself this time. She doesn’t want to feel this way. She doesn't want to remember anything about him. She doesn't want to feel compassion for him because she stabbed him. He deserved it anyway.

(Back at the hotel the same night)

Logan visibly winced from the pain. He had somewhat succeeded in hiding it from Secretary Hong when he came to check on him. But now with each movement, the pain comes back, and with that the memory of Shim Suryeon stabbing him.

He knew he kinda deserved being stabbed. He threatened her without knowing the full situation. It was unlike him. He was thinking of contacting her before things get out of hand with her. But Logan surely didn't expect the Noble Shim Suryeon to show up at his hotel room pretending to be his girlfriend and confront him so boldly.

Logan doesn't want to admit it but seeing her vulnerable when he went after her didn't leave him indifferent too. He even helped her out earlier so she won't get in trouble with Joo Dan Tae. Was it only because he felt sorry for her? Or was it something else?

He tried to discard these thoughts immediately. Putting aside the fact that it's unlike himself to even think about joining hands with anyone, he contents himself by thinking that he suggested they team up as revenge partners only so that it would be easy to finish off Dantae, nothing more. He had to focus on making Dantae and Hera Palace's residents pay for what they had done to Seol Ah. He came for that purpose only.

Meanwhile, Suryeon pondered on the question many times before she actually decided to go visit Logan. He went out of his way to help her get out of a questionable situation.  She has no idea what she would have done If he hadn't stepped out to help her at the right time. "You have a very admirable wife Mr. Joo", his words resonate in her ears.  

After her anger cooled down, his proposition didn't sound that bad anymore. She was still angry at his family and him and didn't plan to forgive them at all but he did help her earlier when he didn't have to. She could sure use the help of a powerful person. And judging from his previous fountain antics, it seems like he is ready to pull anything to bring Dantae down.

She decides to at least hear his plan and if she didn't like what she heard, they would go their separate ways. If they did decide to part ways, which seemed likely, she would warn him to stay out of her way and wait till it's his and his family's turn to pay for their crimes.

Logan was surprised when he heard a knock on his door. He wondered who it could be at this hour as he was not expecting anyone? He could barely hide his astonishment when upon opening the door he was greeted by the cold gaze of Shim Su Ryeon herself.  Trying to not look too startled he invited her to come in and served her a cup of tea.

Despite wearing casual clothes, the way she sits straight, looking far in front of her still gives her that distant and elegant aura. They didn't say anything for a moment, he went to the windows to look at the night view. Suryeon breaks the heavy silence first

" I have a question...How did you find out...I'm Seol Ah's mother ?". Turning back to face her, he explained that he had found out by visiting the Hope Orphanage's director in prison before he died. She finally answers back, "I have not forgiven you yet, I'm only holding back because of my daughter".

Logan actually feels relieved when he hears these words.  He confidently says "So let's get rid of the common enemy first" and walks towards her with his hand outstretched only to be met again with her cold gaze. 

"And what's next? you must have a plan after making that big entrance with the fountain's incident." He retracts his unreciprocated hand coolly though he must admit he was a little hurt.

 "Do you actually think my husband is an easy prey ?"

Smirking, Logan sits down on the sofa facing her. He is trying his best to ignore the throbbing pain he is feeling from being stabbed earlier. Does she actually think he came unprepared? He wonders. Regaining his composure he explains to her that he plans on joining hands with Dan Tae for an investment project and well of course make him pay for his crimes.

Su-Ryeon then asks him something that surprises him a little "From now on I want you to trust all business transactions of Dan Tae to Yoonhee. Yoonhee is my person". But he just nods.

She gets up to leave. She was already out in the corridor when she made her first mistake. She should have gone on her way without turning back.But she did. But she turned and caught that fleeting glimpse of pain on his face. He nodded slightly and the door separated them.

But the feeling of guilt that was already haunting her since yesterday got even bigger. And even if she didn't notice it at that time her attitude toward him was already softening.

Once Suryeon is home, DanTae tells her that he is actively searching for the culprit behind the Hera Palace fountain incident. She gets anxious and rushes to her room to send a text to Logan warning him that Dantae is after the culprit.

Upon receiving her text, Logan's heart swells a little with warmth but he shifts his attention to Dante. "Joo Dan Tae...I must have bothered you quite a bit" he says grimly.

Soon enough Logan starts to lay his trap by luring Dantae with a joint investment. All that is left now is for Joo Dan Tae to take the bait. After storming out from the meeting with Dantae he receives mail from Suryeon. He calls her back immediately. They decide to meet later at the Penthouse to explore the infamous secret study room.

Later in the evening, as Logan is walking beside her into the Penthouse he can't help but steal glances at her. She is wearing a beige blouse, blacks pants, and gold earrings that suit her perfectly.  "Dantae gets to have her and still dares to cheat? that unthankful son of a-"

"We need to hurry before Dantae comes home," Suryeon snaps him out of his thoughts. Logan goes after her, hoping she didn't notice him staring at her. They enter a sophisticated office that apparently looks normal but the collection of swords adorning the walls certainly give away the hidden menacing aura.

Suryeon reaches for the panels of the library and pulls them apart, revealing a safe hidden behind the large doors. She looks at Logan questionably. He takes out a fake finger that he had managed to make with Dantae's prints earlier. Suryeon is pleasantly surprised and sure impressed by the trick Logan is able to pull off so easily.

They move forward slowly in the sinister safe. It is filled with all sorts of things like weapons, expensive art pieces, and small statues, etc. They find a locked safe but it takes them quite a while to open it. It finally opens revealing paper to DanTae's properties and at least 1 million in cash. Logan begins to go through the papers when a picture slips away and ends up on the floor. It is a picture of Dan Tae with the twins and a woman who has her back to the camera. She has a distinctive butterfly tattoo. Suryeon explains to Logan that it may be the twin's biological mother. She was told that she died shortly after giving birth.

Then they suddenly hear a loud noise coming from outside. They stare at each other in horror. Dan Tae is probably home now. They rush outside but they are already late.  Su-Ryeon tries to quickly shut the panel to hide Logan but the fake finger gets stuck between the panels which prevents her from closing them completely. They share a panicked look before she turns around swiftly covering the unclosed doors with her back.

Suryeon is able to distract Dantae and that leads Logan to discover the inhumane things he did to her. In the dark space, he becomes uneasier as the tension between the couple rises. He is shocked beyond words to learn that Dantae had murdered Suryeon's first husband and kept his ring finger as a trophy. Logan's mind races as he realizes how miserable Suryeon's life has been and still is.

But he keeps himself alert; ready to step out if needed. Sure the plan would be ruined if he is caught but no way in hell he is letting Dantae put his hand on Suryeon. Suddenly, a sharp slap pierces the air and Logan is weirdly proud of Suryeon for slapping him. Soon Dantae leaves laughing like a maniac and Logan steps out.

He opens the door just in time to witness Suryeon collapsing on the floor, breaking into tears. As he stares at her all he wants to do right this instant is to rush to her and hug her pain away.

Suryeon was so engulfed in pain and rage that she barely registers Logan approaching her slowly. He kneels in front of her and grabs her shoulders softly.

"He is insane, I don't know what he'll end up doing to you. Come with me. Come over to the hotel" 

She raises her tearful eyes to him.  "No, I can't Logan. I can't leave my children with him. I can't leave." 

Seeing him worried, Suryeon assures him, "Don't worry, I'll be alright. We just need to take care of Dantae and everything will be fine eventually." 

Truthfully, Suryeon is scared to stay in the Penthouse too but she has children she needs to protect. She has been scared and alone since she swore to take revenge for SeolA. But now she knows she is not alone. She has Logan to lean on now...or she is getting  ahead of herself ?