Chapter Seven

For The Reason That

Jungkook’s footsteps stop, causing Seokjin to stop as well. He looks behind him to see Jungkook looking up. Seokjin who was taking the lead comes to Jungkook’s side. “Does your injury hurt?” Seokjin gets ready to reach for the grounded herbs he brought with him after they left the cave. 

 

“No, it doesn’t,” Jungkook continues to look around them but up at the sky. 

 

Seokjin looks up as well but sees nothing other than the usual trees and sky. “Come on, let’s hurry. It looks like it might start raining again,” he turns around. Jungkook follows him. What a hunting trip. He and Jungkook are lost. It just keeps on raining. 

 

As they walk, Jungkook starts to speak, “With all due respect, Jin but I don’t think your plan is working.” 

 

Seokjin continues walking, all though he’s starting to think the same. He plans to just keep walking in one direction with the idea that they’ll hit civilization at one point. “What do you suggest?” Seokjin asks.

 

“Let me climb a tree,” Jungkook begins. “I’ll go to the top and try to spot a clearing.” 

 

Seokjin stops walking, facing Jungkook. “You did that earlier this morning and saw nothing but trees stretched out for miles,” Seokjin reminds him. “Also, you’re still not in the best condition. I don’t want you falling.” 

 

“I won’t fall. Don’t you think it’s better if we at least give it a try?” Jungkook asks him. 

 

Seokjin looks up at one of the trees then back at Jungkook who has a look of anticipation. “Let’s give it a try,” Seokjin agrees, bringing a smile to Jungkook’s face. “But you stay down here. I’ll climb the tree.” Jungkook’s eyes widen.

 

Seokjin takes off the bow and arrows on his back. “No,” Jungkook takes the bow and arrows out of Seokjin’s hands, putting them back on him. “I’ll climb. I suggested the idea so I’ll do it,” Jungkook starts to take off his bow. 

 

Seokjin stops Jungkook from doing so, “Don’t. You’re injured. Thus, I’ll be the one to climb.” To make a point, he proceeds to a tree. Yet, Jungkook grabs him by the wrist, pulling him back. Seokjin furrows his brows, “Stop being stubborn.” 

 

He tries to pull his wrist from Jungkook’s hold. “Do you even know how to climb a tree?” 

 

Seokjin stops struggling, “No but you do. Therefore, you can direct me from down here.” 

 

Jungkook clicks his tongue, “I don’t-“

 

“May I help you two?” 

 

Seokjin and Jungkook turn towards the voice to see a woman about their age with a basket in her arm, guardedly eyeing the two. Seokjin pulls his wrist away from Jungkook’s loosening hold and takes a step away from him, realizing how close they are. 

 

In a kind and polite voice, Seokjin says, “Yes, please. We came to hunt but got lost. Can you please direct us to the closest opening in this forest?” 

 

The woman looks between the two of them warily. “Where did you two come from?” 

 

This time, Jungkook steps in, “We’re from the Imperial Palace.” Seokjin glances at Jungkook, unsure if he should be telling her this. The woman’s eyes widen at this new information. “Servants of the King and His Royal Highness, Prince Taehyung.” 

 

At this, the woman’s guarded eyes soften, however, still scanning the two cautiously. Seokjin smiles a soft and friendly smile, looking towards Jungkook to do the same which he does. 

 

The woman’s suspicion stops. “I can lead you two to my village. From there, it’ll be a quicker trip back to the main road.” 

 

Seokjin’s smile widens, “Thank you, Miss.”

 

She gives a curt nod, “Follow me.”

 

~~~~

 

“What are your names?” the woman asks as she continues to lead them to her village. 

 

“I’m Jin,” Seokjin answers. 

 

“Jeon,” Jungkook responds from behind Seokjin. “What’s your name, Miss?” 

 

“Eun,” she replies. 

 

“Pleased to meet you, Eun,” Seokjin says, kindly. Eun doesn’t say anything back but Seokjin can understand. They are strangers. 

 

Seokjin feels relief as they reach a little clearing in the forest, the village coming to sight. As they enter the village, people stop to stare at Seokjin and Jungkook. “Look friendly,” Seokjin whispers to Jungkook even though Seokjin could see a slight smile already on him.

 

“I am,” Jungkook whispers through his soft smile. Seokjin feels himself smile a little more at the sight. It’s not a sight you see every day. Jungkook with a gentle aura. Jungkook glances at Seokjin who is peering at him. As if to prove his point, he flashes both sets of teeth, closely resembling a bunny.

 

A quiet giggle escapes from Seokjin’s lips. However, loud enough to make Eun peek behind her shoulder. She leads them to a house, pushing the door open to reveal a neat home. “The chief went to consult an important matter with the nearby villages. He should be back tonight or tomorrow early morning,” she informs them. 

 

“You two may rest here until then. There’s a stream on the far left. Don’t wander around causing problems,” she tells them, still with a cold facade.

 

“Of course,” Jungkook says, nodding. 

 

“Thank you, Eun,” Seokjin thanks before Eun leaves. 

 

Seokjin and Jungkook step into their temporary home. Jungkook goes over to the bed, laying down on it while Seokjin walks around the small house, examining it. He won’t admit it out loud but this is the first time he’s been in a village. His eyes are taking everything in with wonder.

 

Seokjin’s eyes land on a basket filled with clothes. He peeks over his shoulder to where Jungkook is on the bed with his eyes closed. “Jeon,” Seokjin calls as to which Jungkook hums as a reply. “I’m going on a quick walk around the village.”

 

Jungkook still has his eyes closed and tiredly reminds Seokjin, “Didn’t you hear what Eun said?”

 

“I won’t cause any troubles and I won’t be long,” Seokjin tells him, grabbing the new pair of clothes, along with a towel before leaving the house. 

 

Following Eun’s directions, he makes his way to the stream. Seokjin passes a couple of people along the way but not very many. It seems that most went with the chief for the meeting with the other villages.

 

Seokjin arrives at the stream and sighs in relief, seeing that there aren’t any people by the stream. Not to mention, the stream is pretty clear. Seokjin makes sure no one is around first before undoing his shirt. He leaves his pants on, not feeling comfortable being out in the open like so. 

 

Slowly, Seokjin takes a step into the water. It’s cold at first but Seokjin goes in anyways, wanting to wash after all he’s been through. He finds himself flinching at any sounds made, immediately ducking under the water in fear that someone was walking by.

 

However, after Seokjin’s body adjusted to the temperature of the water and no one was still around, he started to relax. He starts humming to himself as he plays with the water. He knows he should wash up as quickly as possible but the water looks especially pretty in the sun. 

 

Seokjin takes a deep breath before lowering his whole head underwater. He opens his eyes and sees a little fish swimming near the bottom. Seokjin lowers himself, wanting to see the fish up close. Yet, as he nears the fish, it swims away, afraid. Seokjin pouts but decides to go up for air. 

 

He closes his eyes as he comes up, taking in a breath of air. His eyes open and Seokjin immediately ducks back into the water, with only his head bobbing out. “W-what are you doing here?”

 

Jungkook blinks, looking away from him, face flushed. “I came to wash up. I didn’t mean to intrude on you,” his eyes flit back to Seokjin. 

 

“L-look away!” Seokjin demands. “And move back.” 

 

Jungkook raises his hands, slowly retreating further from Seokjin until there was a good ten feet between them. 

 

Only Seokjin’s eyes peek out from the water, watching Jungkook as he hastily finishes washing up. Like Seokjin demanded, Jungkook looked everywhere but at him. The only sounds made were the tiny water splashes. 

 

After a few minutes have passed, Jungkook breaks the silence, “Why is it that you get to stare at me?” 

 

Seokjin opens his mouth to speak but forgot that half of his face was underwater, resulting in him choking. Jungkook looks at him, worry evident in his eyes. He steps towards Seokjin. “Jin, are you okay?” 

 

Seokjin can’t tell him to keep his distance, still struggling to get the water out of his system. Jungkook reaches him and the only thing Seokjin can think to do is to not let Jungkook see him. He slaps each of his hands over Jungkook’s eyes, covering them. 

 

Jungkook stops moving, eyes covered by Seokjin’s hands. Seokjin continues coughing until finally, he can speak again. “I’m fine,” Seokjin coughs. “Keep your eyes close,” Seokjin tells Jungkook, soft-spoken, feeling the heat in his face.

 

Slowly, Seokjin removes one hand, fingers brushing Jungkook’s eyebrow. His exposed eye stays close. Then, he removes the other hand, eyes trained on Jungkook’s to make sure he keeps them close.

 

“I’m done washing up,” Seokjin tells Jungkook who still has his eyes closed. Seokjin rushes to where his clothes and towels are. He quickly wipes himself down, pulling the new clothes over him. 

 

Once done, he announces, “You can open them now. I’m going back.” Not taking a second longer, Seokjin turns and rushes away. 

 

He sighs as he walks back. He rubs his head, recalling his interaction with Jungkook. ‘What are you doing, Seokin?! Why did you have to choke on that water? Why did he have to come so near? Why did you cover his eyes like that?’ Seokjin scolds himself. 

 

‘Why is it that you get to stare at me?’ Jungkook’s words come to mind again. 

 

Seokjin feels shame come over him like a dark cloud. ‘It’s not like I meant to stare. And why did you have to ask in such a tone?’ Seokjin thinks to Jungkook. 

 

He stops when he reaches the house. He hangs his clothes that he washed at the stream on the clothesline outside. As he does so, he sees a commotion. A group of men who were not here when he and Jungkook arrived is talking to Eun but she doesn’t look happy to see them, barking at them. 

 

Seokjin’s too far away to hear their conversation and he wouldn’t eavesdrop even if he could hear. Yet, Seokjin finds himself glancing over to the group every now and then. The more he watches, the more he starts to feel uneasy. Feeling like this party of men are unwelcome outsiders. 

 

One of the men steps towards Eun, slapping her across the face. This is the last straw. Seokjin stops pretending like he’s seeing nothing. He marches over to them. 

 

“Eun,” Seokjin starts when he reaches them, about to ask if she’s fine. She turns to Seokjin, holding her cheek. The blood from the corner of her lips answers for her. Her tough eyes are now filled with tears, making her look like a whole different person. 

 

Seokjin could feel the anger boil in him as he turns to the men. He keeps his composure, however, knowing anger will take him nowhere. “What’s the problem? Why use violence?” Seokjin asks, staring straight at the guilty man.

 

A horrible and ugly sound comes out from the man’s mouth to which Seokjin assumes is supposed to be a laugh. “Little Eunnie doesn’t quite know her place,” he answers smugly. He turns to Eun, “Didn’t anyone tell you? Women only talk when allowed.” 

 

Seokjin’s furious at this but he pulls Eun away from him. “Get out,” he calmly says. 

 

However, the men still only stare at Eun. “Looks like big old daddy ain’t here to save you this time, Eunnie~” one of the men singsong. 

 

One of the men reaches for Eun but Seokjin grabs his hand, intercepting. He glares at the man, “Did you not hear me? I said get out.” The man scoffs, looking over at Eun but Seokjin blocks him. He’s getting frustrated at this point. “Why do you keep looking at her? Keep attacking her?” Seokjin moves closer to him, “Or is it that you’re afraid of me?”

 

Seokjin knows he’s done it. A man like that won’t like another man talking to him that way. He should’ve seen it coming but he doesn’t as the man swings at him. Seokjin heads straight for the ground at the impact but before he could hit the ground, a pair of arms catch him. 

 

Seokjin looks over his shoulder, disoriented. He sees Jungkook but Jungkook’s not looking back at him. Instead, staring daggers into the man that punched Seokjin. He helps Seokjin up and without even a word, punches the man who punched Seokjin. 

 

Seokjin doesn’t have much time to stare as another man charges at him. He barely dodges. He was never very great at hand-to-hand combat. Before the man could comprehend that he missed, Seokjin throws a punch at him, holding back a cry of pain that comes from his knuckles. 

 

He continues throwing punches and kicks, dodging whenever he could. Seokjin falls onto his back, wincing from the pain. As the man raises his foot to kick him, Seokjin rolls away, hitting a discarded bamboo stick on the ground.

 

He grabs it, swinging it at the man and hitting him behind the knees. The man falls to his knees and Seokjin stands up, kicking him. He looks up, seeing three men circle Jungkook. “Jungkook!” Seokjin yells, earning his attention. He throws the bamboo stick to Jungkook who catches it, using it right away, swinging it at the men. One gets poked in the eye.

 

Seokjin hears a scream and sees one of the men with Eun thrown over his shoulder. Before Seokjin could react, he felt a hard smash to his head. Seokjin tries to face his attacker but his feet lose balance and he hits the dirt ground. 

 

Black spots cover his vision as he tries to make out the sky. “Good night, pretty boy,” his attacker stares down at him, holding a wooden plank. The same man who slapped Eun. Seokjin doesn’t have the strength to get up watching hopelessly as Eun gets taken away. 

 

Then the man drops, falling on top of Seokjin. Seokjin tries to push the passed-out man off but then someone just flips him over. “Jungkook, they,” Seokjin stops, feeling the pain. “Took Eun.” 

 

Jungkook helps Seokjin up to a sitting position. “Seokjin, you…” Jungkook wipes the corner of his mouth, his finger coming back with blood. 

 

“I’m fine,” Seokjin pushes Jungkook’s hand away. “Jungkook, you have to go help, Eun. They took her that way,” Seokjin points, directing him. “Go before it’s too late,” Seokjin urges him, pushing him to get up.

 

“No,” Jungkook shakes his head. “I’m not leaving you.” 

 

Seokjin stares at Jungkook’s concerned eyes, feeling tears come to his eyes at the echoed words. But he blinks the tears away, “Go, Jungkook. I’m fine but she won’t be. Go.” Jungkook looks down, biting his lip at the decision. 

 

Then he looks back at Seokjin, eyes wide and full of an emotion Seokjin never saw in his eyes before. He holds Seokjin’s hand. “Don’t go anywhere. Stay here and stay awake,” Jungkook tells him. Seokjin nods. Jungkook lets go of his hand, standing up. 

 

He looks at Seokjin one more time before sprinting in the direction that Eun went. Seokjin feels his eyelids droop but fights to keep them open, listening to what Jungkook told him.

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin opens his eyes, no longer seeing the sky. Recalling what had happened, Seokjin sits up. There’s a slight throbbing in his head but that’s the least of his problems. Seokjin looks around his surroundings. He’s in a house, not the house that he and Jungkook are staying at but one that’s similar to it. 

 

Then, a boy walks into the house. “Oh, you’re up,” he notes, bringing over a cup of water. 

 

He hands it to Seokjin but Seokjin doesn’t take it. “Where’s Jungkook and Eun?” 

 

He scrunches his face. “Jungkook…” Then he asks, “You mean Jeon?” 

 

“Yes,” Seokjin nods. “Is he and Eun fine? Are they hurt?” 

 

The boy shakes his head, “They’re fine.” Seokjin sighs, feeling the stress leave his system. 

 

The boy then tells him that to be able to see Jungkook and Eun, he has to finish his meal first. Seokjin obeys, feeling hungry. The last thing he ate, being the grapes. As Seokjin eats, the boy explains to him what happened.

 

The group of men that came to the village were bandits that have been bullying and stealing from the village for four months now.  But today they didn’t want to just steal their goods but the chief’s daughter, Eun.

 

The chief and his men had gone to meet with the other villages to discuss how they should stop these bandits. On their way back, they ran into Jungkook who was helping Eun back. 

 

“If it weren’t for you and Jeon, then,” the boy tears up, taking Seokjin by surprise, “I would’ve never seen my sister again.” He gets out of his chair, kneeling on the ground and bowing. “Thank you, Jin!”

 

Seokjin’s flustered by his action. “Mun,” Seokjin learned was the name of the seventeen years old boy. “You don’t need to bow.” 

 

However, Mun stays bowing, “Nothing I do can ever repay you.” 

 

Seokjin goes to Mun’s side, helping the boy up. “You can take me to see Jeon and Eun,” Seokjin says, cracking a smile to lighten up the mood. Mun smiles back, nodding enthusiastically. He gets up, dusting himself before showing the way. 

 

Again, people stop to stare at Seokjin. However, this time they smile or like Mun, bow their head. Mun arrives at a house that’s bigger than the others and in the center of the village. “Just go through these doors,” Mun tells Seokjin.

 

Seokjin smiles at Mun, “Thank you, Mun.” Mun smiles back. 

 

Seokjin knocks on the door first. A muffled, “Come in” comes through the doors. Seokjin opens the door. 

 

Immediately, he spots Jungkook’s backside. “How are you feeling, son?” the chief who is sitting across from Jungkook asks. Jungkook turns around, face lifting upon seeing Seokjin. 

 

“Well, Sir,” Seokjin bows his head. “Thank you for taking care of me.” 

 

“It’s nothing compared to what you did for me,” the chief says as Seokjin lifts his head. “Thank you for saving my daughter, Jin.” 

 

Seokjin smiles kindly, “I was just doing what was right.” He looks over to Jungkook, noticing a cloth around his forehead, and a bruise on his cheekbone. “However, Jeon should be the one you thank. He went to save your daughter.” 

 

The chief smiles, delight on his face. “Not only are you brave, but you’re also humble. Seokjin smiles shyly at the compliment. “Come, come. Your friend, Jeon has already told me of your situation.” The chief offers Seokjin the seat next to Jungkook. 

 

“I know that you two are in a rush to get back to His Majesty and His Royal Highness. However, can that wait until the day after tomorrow?” 

 

“May I ask why, Chief Lai?” Jungkook asks, voicing Seokjin’s question as well. 

 

“Well, to let you two heal first.” Chief Lai takes a sip of his drink, “Also to hold a feast to thank you two for what you’ve done. Say, would you two please stay for another day and a half?” 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin looks up at the serene night sky which is filled with stars. Jungkook and he agreed to stay for another day and a half. Tomorrow is when they’ll have the celebration. The morning after, Seokjin and Jungkook will leave. “Does your head hurt?” 

 

Seokjin continues looking up at the stars, counting them silently. “No, not as much anymore,” Seokjin answers gently, not wanting to disturb the tranquility of the village. They talked and ate with Chief Lai for so long that when they left, everyone was already in bed. “How are you feeling?” 

 

Despite being together for the last two hours, the two have not spoken to each other at all. Only conversing with Chief Lai. “Better,” Jungkook replies, soft-spoken. They arrive at their house. Correction- the house. 

 

Silently, the two enter the house. There’s only one bed. Seokjin would’ve suggested one of them sleep on the floor but his voice is lost, somehow not being able to face Jungkook after what happened. 

 

Yet, it seems Jungkook read his mind because he takes out a mat that’s under the bed. He lays it out on the other side of the room, taking one of the pillows and blanket from the bed with him. 

 

Seokjin gets on the bed, turning his back to Jungkook as he pulls the covers over him. He closes his eyes to the crickets’ chirping and Jungkook’s light breathing. 

 

 

‘No, I’m not leaving you.’

‘Don’t go anywhere. Stay here and stay awake.’

 

 

Seokjin wakes from slumber, the memory of when Eun got taken away is crystal clear in his head. His eyes fall on the sleeping Jungkook across the room. Seokjin looks at his hand, remembering how it was in Jungkook’s hold, remembering the tears in his eyes when Jungkook had used the same words he used, ‘I’m not leaving you’. 

 

He turns his back to Jungkook once more, forcing himself to go back to sleep, ignoring his thoughts over a certain someone.

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin wakes up bright and early. He gets out of the house as soon as he does, going to the stream to wash up. Checking his reflection, he notices no trace of bruising on his face, unlike Jungkook. 

 

Once done, he doesn’t return to the house, running across some men who are carrying wood. 

 

“What’s the wood for?” Seokjin asks, curious as to why they were gathering so many. 

 

“Tonight for the feast, of course,” one answers as he passes Seokjin, carrying a log on his shoulder.

 

“During feasts and celebrations, the whole village sits around a bonfire,” another tells Seokjin as he passes. 

 

Seokjin smiles, imagining that. It looks fun. “And what do you all do around the bonfire?” 

 

“Talk amongst ourselves,” one list.

 

“Tell folktales,” another adds. 

 

“Share our experiences with the supernatural,” one says excitedly.

 

Seokjin smiles, liking the idea of this bonfire. “May I help carry wood as well?” 

 

They all hesitate to answer, knowing the fact that Seokjin was hurt yesterday. Seokjin flashes a charismatic smile, “If I start to feel light-headed, I’ll slow down.” They all exchange nervous glances. “I’ll stop entirely if I feel any aching,” Seokjin assures them.

 

They agree and Seokjin gets to help them straight away. As he promised, he makes sure not to push himself. After Seokjin and the men finish carrying the firewood, they advise Seokjin to go rest at the house until the celebration. 

 

Despite Seokjin’s denies, wanting to help out more, they push him towards the direction of the house he’s staying at. Knowing he can’t change their minds, Seokjin obeys and walks towards the house he and Jungkook are staying at. 

 

Nonetheless, when he spots some children heading to the stream carrying baskets of what seems to be blankets, he goes to talk to them. Ultimately, helping them wash the blankets after finding out their use.

 

The children happily explain to him what they do at celebrations and feasts. Not only is there the bonfire, but there are also games, lots of food, people trading items, and star-gazing. Thus the blankets are specifically meant for that. 

 

Seokjin jumps in shock as the cold water hits his face. “Sorry, Jin,” one of the little boys apologize. “I didn’t mean to.” He smiles sheepishly at Seokjin. The little children had started a water fight, splashing water at the others and sooner or later, themselves. 

 

“I understand you children are just having fun,” Seokjin says, setting aside the blanket he finished washing. “Can I join in as well?” he asks, smiling as the children nod. Seokjin starts splashing the water with the children, forgetting everything and just laughing along with them. Being the youngest in his family, he wasn’t able to be an older brother to anyone. 

 

After Seokjin and the children tire out from their game and finish the laundry, he parts way with them. On his way to the house to change, Mun comes up to Seokjin. “Looks like you had fun, Jin,” he says, noticing Seokjin’s dripping clothes.

 

Seokjin offers a smile at him, “Does your father need me for something?” 

 

Mun shakes his head, instead of giving Seokjin the clothes in his hand. “Eun wanted me to give this to you as thanks.” 

 

“Tell her I said thanks,” Seokjin says as he takes the clothes. 

 

“Will do. See you later, Jin,” with that, Mun takes his leave. 

 

Seokjin gets to the house, Jungkook nowhere in sight. He puts on the clothes that Eun made for him. The embroidery is gorgeous and Seokjin can’t stop admiring it. He leaves the house after he changes clothes. 

 

~~~~

 

“Come on, Jin. What are you still doing here?” Seokjin looks up, rice sticking to his hands. 

 

“I‘ll come after I finish rolling the rest of these rice balls, Grandma,” Seokjin tells the old lady. After changing into Eun’s outfit, Seokjin came across a house where they were doing most of the cooking. With lots of free time on his hands, he offered to help. 

 

“Finish those rice balls then come out to have some fun. You better not camp here all night, Jin.” 

 

Seokjin smiles warmly, “Of course, Grandma. I won’t be long.” The grandma leaves and Seokjin goes back to making the rice balls. 

 

The sun is already starting to set. The day felt so fast. In spite of meeting many new people and conversing with a lot, Seokjin has not seen Jungkook at all. He’s sure to see him at the feast though. He’s not sure if he wants that.

 

Seokjin finishes making the rice balls. He plates them before going to the stream to wash his hands. With the last bit of sunlight, Seokjin can see his reflection. One could mistake him as one of the village people with how he’s dressed like. 

 

Seokjin heads back, towards the bright lights and the bustling people. One of the first things he reaches is a lady who has a table set up, foreign items on display. Seokjin looks over the items, admiring the new and unknown things. His eyes land on a familiar object. 

 

Seokjin reaches for the instrument. The hulusi as Jungkook had told him. This one is different from the one Jungkook played at Lord Wang’s palace. The color isn’t brown and soft. Instead, sporting a reddish-orange color, smooth and shiny. 

 

“Would you like to buy it, mister?” the lady asks, noticing Seokjin.

 

Seokjin sets the instrument down, “I apologize but I was only viewing it.”

 

The lady isn’t upset at this. She smiles and looks down at the instrument, “Thinking of someone?” Seokjin’s bewildered expression answers for him. She laughs and picks up the instrument. “You’re Jin, aren’t you? The one who saved Eun.”

 

“Yes,” Seokjin confirms. “Jeon also helped.” 

 

The lady nods, wiping the hulusi with a cloth. She puts it into what seems to be the case. She holds it out to Seokjin, “Here, take this as a thank you gift.” 

 

Seokjin’s eyes widen and he declines the gift, “No need. I’ve already received many tokens of thanks.”

 

The lady smiles, “But this isn’t for you, is it?”

 

Seokjin’s eyes cast away, embarrassed at how well the lady is reading him.

 

~~~~

 

“Are you ready, Yeojin?” Seokjin asks the little three-year-old girl standing across from him. She nods, an excited smile on her face. Seokjin throws the small ball gently. Yeojin reaches for it, standing on her tiptoes as she catches it. 

 

She giggles as it slips through her hands. Seokjin gasps, “No, it fell.” He makes sure his expression feigns shock, something that makes the little girl double over in laughter. 

 

Once Yeojin gets over her fit of laughter, they start throwing the ball back and forth. Yeojin, giggling adorably whenever the ball falls. 

 

Seokjin glances to both sides of him to see other pairs rallying the ball as well. This ball toss is a tradition in the village. You can toss balls with anyone but it’s mostly an act of courtship among the youths. 

 

For Yeojin’s amusement, Seokjin half-heartedly tries to catch the ball, missing it. Yeojin burst into giggles, showing both of her dimples. Seokjin puts a hand over his mouth, gawking at his mistake. “Yeojin, wait,” Seokjin tells the little girl who is still giggling. “I go get the ball.” 

 

Yeojin nods, still giggling but understanding Seokjin. Seokjin smiles at the child, turning around to go retrieve the ball. Once turned, he meets a face he hasn’t seen the whole day. 

 

Like him, Jungkook is dressed in an outfit that matches with the villagers. He holds the ball in his hand. Unlike Seokjin, he has a patterned cloth around his forehead, matching his outfit. 

 

Seokjin feels a tug on his hand and he looks down, meeting Yeojin’s big eyes. She looks at Seokjin’s other hand, searching for the ball. 

 

Seokjin doesn’t look directly, seeing from the corner of his eyes as Jungkook walks up to them. He bends down to be eye-level with Yeojin. In a soft and delicate voice, asks, “May I toss the ball with Jin?” 

 

Yeojin’s eyes trail to Seokjin then back to Jungkook. She nods, smiling. Jungkook smiles back. He pats her on the head before she walks back to her mother. Jungkook stands back up. His smile is gone but his eyes, gentle and shimmering. ‘It must be because of the lanterns,’ Seokjin thinks, looking away.

 

“Do you want to start?” Jungkook asks. Seokjin doesn’t say anything for what seems like forever nor does he look at Jungkook. He’s not sure why. 

 

Jungkook takes hold of Seokjin’s hand, stunning him. He puts the ball in his hand. “If you don’t want to with me,” Jungkook says, voice as soft as silk. “Then, it’s fine.”

 

Seokjin watches from the corner of his eyes as Jungkook walks away.