Chapter Ten

For The Reason That

Seokjin’s clothes are a dark royal blue with little white flowers decorating them. Being newly made, the clothes felt just right on Seokjin’s skin. Smooth and silky. As Hyeon fixes the clothing on him, Seokjin pulls up his left sleeve.

 

The koi fish is gone. Only living in Seokjin’s memory now. Seokjin lets the sleeve drop back to covering his arm. “Hyeon,” he starts. 

 

“Yes, Your Royal Highness,” Hyeon replies, still making sure there was no wrinkle in Seokjin’s outfit. 

 

“Will everyone be attending this celebration?” Seokjin wonders. 

 

“Of course, Your Royal Highness. It’s to celebrate the Kims’ rule of a hundred years,” Hyeon tells Seokjin with big eyes. 

 

“That does call for a big occasion,” Seokjin says. He wonders if Jungkook is going to attend. It must be mandatory for him since he is part of the royal family. Seokjin chuckles. But since when did Jungkook ever listen to the King?

 

“What is it, Your Royal Highness?” Hyeon questions, noticing his chuckling. 

 

“Nothing, I was just thinking of something,” Seokjin tells her. Shortly after, Seokjin finishes dressing, he heads for the main palace. Servants are rushing back and forth, preparing for one of the biggest celebrations of the year. They bow as Seokjin walks pass. 

 

It’s noon and the event doesn’t start until the afternoon but as a prince, being on time is being late. Seokjin arrives at the main palace which is bustling with servants. He’s the only royal so far. 

 

“Your Royal Highness,” the head maid greets Seokjin with a bow. “Would you like us to bring you some refreshments while you wait?”

 

“No need,” Seokjin declines. “Is there a task I can help with while I wait?” The head maid’s eyes enlarge as so does Hyeon’s. 

 

“Your Royal Highness,” Hyeon starts. “Mayhaps it’s best if you don’t. Look around,” Hyeon glances around at the rushing servants. “It’s chaotic in here.” 

 

“Thereupon, I want to help,” Seokjin tells Hyeon with a smile. “May I, Head Maid Park?” 

 

~~~~

 

“This one looks good,” Seokjin tells the servant who takes the plate away. “So does this one,” Seokjin says to the next plate. When he asked to help, he thought of helping set up the decorations or cooking. 

 

But the job he got was to make sure the food was plated nicely and prettily. An important job, Seokjin knows but he feels a little down by the fact that they won’t let him do anything that consists of actually working and using his hands. 

 

He forgot that this was the life of a royal, remembering the last time he helped out which was in the village that he and Jungkook stayed at. “Hyeon, I’m going out for some air. Stay here and help them. I won’t be long,” Seokjin tells Hyeon. 

 

He weaves around the bustling servants and steps outside, into the main courtyard. Seokjin sits down on the bench underneath the tree’s shade. He reaches inside his robes, producing two pendants tied together. He runs his thumb over the shiny pendant with the tiger lily, “I wonder if I’m going to see you today, Jeon.” 

 

Five days have passed since he and Jungkook both saw each other here. Seokjin wonders what he’s been doing. ‘He must be attending his studies a lot these days,’ Seokjin guesses, recalling Jungkook’s conversation with his servant. He puts the pendants safely back in his robe, heading inside. 

 

“You’re early, Prince Seokjin,” Prince Taehyung smiles at him. 

 

Seokjin bows, “As you, Your Royal Highness.” He smiles as he raises his head, “How have you been?” Seokjin lost count of the last time they saw each other. 

 

“Say for the usual work to tend to, good,” Prince Taehyung smiles again. “And you, Prince Seokjin?” 

 

“Pleasant,” Seokjin answers honestly. “Has Lord Lim written back yet?” 

 

“No, but no worries. He should be back in three months and we’ll find out if Gorchik is to be acquainted with us or not,” Prince Taehyung tells him. 

 

The two continue to converse as the servants’ workload gets less and less. In the midst of it, Seokjin realizes that they’re always talking about the same thing. Usually circling Prince Taehyung’s works. 

 

~~~~

 

It’s the afternoon and the main palace now has nobles roaming around. Along with the King and the Queen. Unfortunately, Lady Yeona is still unwell and will not be joining them tonight. 

 

Once more people started showing up, Prince Taehyung got pulled away from Seokjin but he’s fine with that. He already spoke with him for a long time. Seokjin converses with Lords and Ladies that he recognizes. It’s almost a year since he arrived here so faces are already familiar to him.

 

At one point, Prince Taehyung comes back to him. Bringing him to greet a foreign prince. “Prince Clarence, meet Prince Seokjin.” 

 

“Lovely to meet you, Prince Seokjin,” Prince Clarence greets with a bow. 

 

“And for you, Prince Clarence,” Seokjin reciprocates with a bow and warm smile. 

 

The three talk with mainly Prince Taehyung doing the talking for Seokjin. The two of them talk mostly about Prince Taehyung’s family which has been on the throne for a hundred years(thus the celebration) and how they celebrate events here.

 

“Back at my kingdom, we hold balls and galas which are full of dancing,” Prince Clarence tells them. “If not a bother, perhaps your kingdom shall try it too, Prince Taehyung.”

 

“Of course, it’s not a bother. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out,” Prince Taehyung says politely. 

 

“We can try tonight,” Seokjin says, making both princes’ heads turn to him. “Tonight is a celebration with lots of people attending. Surely, it won’t hurt to introduce Prince Clarence’s tradition.” 

 

Prince Clarence smiles, “Exactly. It’s a new thing here so it’ll be fun.” 

 

~~~~

 

People chatter amongst themselves, watching curiously as a part of the room is cleared to create a dance floor. “May I have this dance?” Prince Clarence asks Seokjin as the musicians start to play. 

 

Seokjin looks over at Prince Taehyung. Although he doesn’t know much about this tradition, he feels like he should only dance with Prince Taehyung, his husband. 

 

Yet, Prince Taehyung doesn’t seem to worry like him. He only gives Seokjin an encouraging smile. Seokjin turns back to Prince Clarence, who still has his hand out, awaiting Seokjin’s answer. 

 

Seokjin slips his hand into his's hesitantly. “Just follow my lead. It’s quite easy to catch onto,” Prince Clarence assures Seokjin. Prince Clarence raises his hand that’s holding Seokjin’s. With his other hand, he rests it on Seokjin’s waist. Seokjin’s surprised at the skin-ship of Prince Clarence’s people but dismisses it. “And you’d put your hand on my shoulder,” Prince Clarence instructs Seokjin.

 

Seokjin does as he says. The music starts and as Prince Clarence said, he leads the way. Seokjin’s a little behind at first, not used to the footwork and spinning so much but eventually gets it. It’s quite fun, once you’re not tripping over your feet. 

 

“You’re a fast learner, Prince Seokjin,” Prince Clarence compliments. 

 

Seokjin smiles, “I must thank you for going slow.” Prince Clarence laughs and they continue to dance. Slowly, others start to mimic their dance, laughing when they step on each other’s feet but still trying. After three songs, Prince Seokjin excuses himself. He hasn’t seen Prince Taehyung for some time now. He also wishes to dance with him.

 

Seokjin leaves the dance floor, scanning the room for Prince Taehyung. He’s just about to pass a group of ladies when he notices all of them staring in one direction. Curious, Seokjin follows their gaze.

 

He’s frozen in place as he watches Prince Taehyung grinning widely with his teeth showing as he twirls the Royal Consort around. 

 

“Look at Prince Taehyung. He looks ten times more handsome when he smiles like that.”

“I wish someone would smile at me like that.”

“The Royal Consort is so lucky to have Prince Taehyung love him so much.” 

 

Seokjin watches glumly as Prince Taehyung pulls his Royal Consort into his chest, smiling lovingly as he securely places an arm on his waist. He tells himself to walk away but he doesn’t. Watching as Prince Taehyung pulls his Royal Consort close and whispers in his ears. Pink dust the Royal Consort’s cheeks and he pushes Prince Taehyung away, who in turn, laughs, eyes crinkling. 

 

Old wounds open and Seokjin forgets about everything except for Prince Taehyung and his Royal Consort. The Royal Consort’s small frame fits perfectly in Prince Taehyung’s embrace. Seokjin realizes that Prince Taehyung never held him before. 

 

Prince Taehyung’s smile is brighter than a thousand lanterns. His eyes, sparkling whenever he stares at his Royal Consort. Seokjin never got to see that face when Prince Taehyung is with him.

 

He doesn’t know how long he’s standing there, feeling more miserable as time passes until, “Jin.” Seokjin blinks out of his daze, eyes watery. He turns around. 

 

Jungkook’s smiling but upon seeing Seokjin, his smile disappears. “Jin, why are you…” his voice trails off as he looks behind Seokjin. Seokjin doesn’t want to see Jungkook’s pity and leaves. 

 

He ignores the nobles he passes, heading for the Palace of Rumex. He wants to lock himself in his room and just forget. Forget about everything. But he can’t. Prince Taehyung’s bright smile and the Royal Consort taunt him as he tries to escape the noise and people. 

 

“Jin,” he hears Jungkook call but he continues walking straight and away. “Jin,” Jungkook calls again but this time it's closer. He grabs Seokjin’s hand and pulls him in another direction. Seokjin follows, not having the will to fight him. Jungkook brings him to a secluded area with no one around. 

 

He looks around to make sure no one is around before looking at Seokjin who’s staring at the ground, lifelessly. “Jin, look at me,” Jungkook says softly. Seokjin doesn’t, feeling the tears threaten to spill. Gently, Jungkook’s fingers touch his chin, tilting his face up. 

 

Jungkook’s lips part and his brows bunch together as he meets Seokjin’s tear-filled eyes. Jungkook blinks and his furrowed brows disappear. He closes his eyes and takes in a breath. “Don’t.” His eyes open. “Don’t,” he looks directly into Seokjin’s eyes. “Don’t shed a tear over him, Seokjin.”

 

Seokjin looks away from Jungkook. “How could I not?” Seokjin bites his bottom lip to keep it from quivering. ‘Even after all this time of being married to him, he still doesn’t love me,’ Seokjin thinks to himself. “Am I that unloveable?” the question escapes his thoughts. 

 

“Of course not,” Jungkook says straight away. “He’s just blind,” Jungkook continues, this time softer. Seokjin looks back at Jungkook whose eyes are on him and only him. “Don’t cry over him. Don’t beat yourself up. Don’t blame yourself, Jin,” Jungkook tells him genuinely. 

 

Seokjin blinks and he’s sure a tear escapes but Jungkook is so quick to wipe it, it was as if it was never there. Jungkook’s hand stays caressing his cheek. His thumb swipes under Seokjin’s eye. 

 

“It’s still early.” Jungkook breaks the silence. “May I take you somewhere?”

 

~~~~

 

Jungkook grins as he wins another arm-wrestling match. His opponent isn’t mad though, laughing, “Ah, Jeon is still the strongest of us all.”

 

Another one of Jungkook’s friends adds, “I bet he can even beat the second prince of the royal family!” Seokjin has to hold back a laugh at their misinformation. 

 

Jungkook chuckles, leaning back in his chair. “Nah,” he waves off the “compliment”. “I heard that the second prince is really strong. I don’t think I can beat him,” he says humbly. Seokjin rolls his eyes at Jungkook’s act of humbleness. 

 

“Jin,” Hoseok says, putting him on the spot. “Why don’t you arm wrestle with Jungkook?” Less than asking, it’s more like he’s urging. 

 

Seokjin laughs nervously. “Ah, I already did before- when it was just us two. He beat me straight away. Faster than he did with Hoseok,” Seokjin lies. Jungkook’s friends laugh, and Seokjin laughs with them. Yet, Jungkook doesn’t laugh. 

 

He smirks, “That’s true but it was so long ago I barely remember it.” Jungkook puts his elbow on the table, making eye contact with Seokjin. “Refresh my memory.” Seokjin’s speechless at what he’s trying to do. 

 

“I would want to see since we haven’t seen before,” one of the friends chimes. 

 

“I also don’t believe Jin could lose faster than Hoseok,” another snicker, making Hoseok pout. 

 

“Would you please show them so they’d stop making fun of me?” Hoseok pleads, pulling at Seokjin’s arm. “Please, Jin~”

 

Jungkook grins at Seokjin, eyes challenging him. ‘He doesn’t seem that strong. Perhaps, the others are just exaggerating.’ Seokjin raises his head and steps forward, taking a seat in the chair across from Jungkook.

 

Jungkook’s friends cheer as they clasp their hands together. Hoseok starts counting, “Three…” Seokjin tightens his hold, feeling for Jungkook’s strength. “Two…” Seokjin looks past their hands. “One…” Jungkook’s smirk has toned down to a mere smug smile. “Go!”

 

Immediately, Seokjin starts pushing against Jungkook’s hand with all of his strength. Seokjin presses his lips together, calling all his strength to use. Slowly, Jungkook’s hand starts to shake, lowering as Seokjin keeps on pushing. 

 

Seokjin can hear Jungkook’s friends cheer for him, making him more eager to beat Jungkook. Leisurely, Jungkook’s hand starts to lower even more until it’s at a fifty degrees angle from touching the table. 

 

Seokjin’s focus is all on their hands, channeling all of his energy into it so he’s confused when Jungkook’s hand starts moving. He’s not pushing against Seokjin but wriggling his hand out from Seokjin’s hold. 

 

Confusion paints Seokjin’s face and he throws a questioning glance at Jungkook. Jungkook doesn’t pay attention to his glance, however, focusing on their hands. Seokjin tries to hold Jungkook’s hand still but Jungkook fights against him.

 

Slowly, Jungkook slips his fingers between Seokjin’s, confusing him even more. The thought of victory flies out of Seokjin’s head as he watches Jungkook start to lace their fingers together.

 

The only thought in Seokjin’s head now is to pull his hand away. Yet, Jungkook doesn’t let him go, interlocking their hands, a grin on his face as he watches Seokjin struggle. Seokjin furrows his brows, doing his best to pry his hand out of Jungkook’s hold but miserably failing. 

 

‘He was holding back all this time,’ Seokjin figures out, feeling stupid for thinking he could win. Jungkook’s friends have gone quiet now, not quite sure what’s happening. Seokjin starts to feel the heat creep up his neck, the longer Jungkook holds his hand. 

 

Seokjin stops fighting against his hand, drained. He lets out a quiet breath, looking at Jungkook who has a look of amusement on his face. Jungkook chuckles and releases his hand. 

 

Seokjin doesn’t waste a second, pulling his hand away and standing up. “Looks like it’s a draw,” Seokjin says, stepping back. “Sorry, Hoseok,” Seokjin says, patting Hoseok’s shoulder. “I’m going now. Bye everyone,” Seokjin hurriedly announces, spinning on his heels and walking as fast as his feet could carry him. 

 

Tonight, it’s a festival in the marketplace. Coming here so abruptly, Seokjin and Jungkook didn’t change out of their royal silks. Yet, everyone is in their best articles of clothing tonight so they blend right in. 

 

Seokjin plops down on a bench, eyes following the people who pass him. Everyone is seen laughing or with a smile on their faces. As Seokjin’s watching a loving couple feed each other, a shiny, transparent ball intercepts his vision. 

 

Seokjin blinks at it, moving his head back as it floats closer. Shakily, he pokes it with his finger. Only a mere contact and the ball bursts, making Seokjin shut his eyes for the impact to come.

 

Seokjin peeks one eye open and sees more of the transparent floating balls. They’re shiny in the lights, reflecting rainbow. More of these balls keep floating towards Seokjin.

 

Seokjin pokes one and this time when it pops, he laughs in delight. He tries to catch one on his palm but once it touches his skin, ceases to exist. Seokjin frowns and continues to try. 

 

Wondering what’s causing these clear and bedazzling things, Seokjin reverts his attention from catching them but to where they’re coming from. 

 

Focusing on what seems to be a little wand with a hole in the middle is Jungkook. He dips the wand into a container, taking it out, then blowing as to which the pretty, round balls float out of. His eyes follow the balls until they reach Seokjin.

 

Caught red-handed, Jungkook turns away, pink adorning his face and puts the wand back in the container, twisting it close. He walks to where Seokjin is, the mysterious balls still floating around them. “How’d you make these bubbles?” Seokjin asks as he watches the spheres that Jungkook created dance around them. He’s only ever seen them in his bath and not floating so freely like so before.

 

“This,” Jungkook raises the container in his hand. “It’s a mixture of soap and water. With this wand,” Jungkook pulls the wand out and blows a bubble at Seokjin. “The bubbles get to exist anywhere.” Seokjin stares awed at the bubbles. Again, he reaches his index finger out to touch one. Jungkook does the same. The bubble pops and their fingers touch.

 

Seokjin retracts his hand, remembering what happened earlier. “You don’t-“ Seokjin’s at a loss of words when Jungkook quirks a brow at him. He doesn’t notice as his lips settle into a small pout, “You don’t play fair.” 

 

Jungkook laughs, making his eyes crinkle. Reflecting more light than the bubbles. “As you said, it was a draw.” 

 

Seokjin gapes like a fish. “You clearly cheated,” he accuses. 

 

Jungkook widens his eyes in innocence, “How?” 

 

“You grabbed my hand,” Seokjin tells him confidently. 

 

Again, laughter escapes Jungkook’s lips. “Well, that was part of the game. To hold hands,” Jungkook tells him, still with a smile on his face.

 

Seokjin blinks, realizing that his evidence doesn’t make sense. “Still so, you weren’t supposed to…” Seokjin comes to a hesitant stop, now sure what words to use. 

 

“I admit I was playing dirty,” Jungkook says, dropping the innocent act. He leans towards Seokjin, and in an almost whisper, “I just wanted to see how our hands would look interlocked.” 

 

“Right,” Seokjin dismisses his words. “You’re just messing with me.” Jungkook parts his lips but Seokjin walks away. 

 

“Jin, wait up,” Jungkook follows him. Though, running from him at first, Seokjin slows down so Jungkook catches up. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin takes a bite out of the savory pancake, tasting the scallion. He hums in satisfaction, taking another bite. Food at the palace tastes good but there’s just something different about the food here. 

 

He and Jungkook are currently sitting and eating. Seokjin glances at Jungkook who still has half of his pancake left. Meanwhile, Seokjin only has three bites left. Jungkook’s focus is on the stage which is occupied by a singing girl. 

 

Seokjin’s sitting on Jungkook’s left. With Jungkook so intently watching the stage, Seokjin lets his eyes wander Jungkook. Jungkook doesn’t wear many colors. Usually dark colors like black, dark brown, and gray. The only time Seokjin sees him with colors is when he’s dressed as a commoner. Then, he’s wearing colors like blue and green.

 

Tonight is not different. He’s wearing a black hanbok with silver patterning. A dark red sash ties around his waist, fitting the robe to him unlike Seokjin’s which is loose and just drops down.

 

His eyes land on Jungkook’s left cheek which has a scar. The performance ends and Jungkook’s eyes dart over to Seokjin who quickly averts his eyes. 

 

“Do you also sing?” Seokjin asks. It seems like Jungkook does everything and is talented at everything. 

 

“I can but anyone can,” Jungkook says. “Do you?” Seokjin shakes his head. “Oh,” Jungkook smiles sheepishly at Seokjin proving him wrong.

 

“May I hear you sing?” Seokjin asks gently, curious to how Jungkook sounds when singing. Pink dust Jungkook’s cheeks and he looks down at his knees where he’s drumming his fingers. “Someday when you’re free?” Seokjin asks, taking note of the shy prince.

 

Jungkook nods and Seokjin smiles a little at that. He’s never seen Jungkook so shy before. Seokjin watches as the next performer gets on the stage. A group of musicians. 

 

Seokjin’s attention is solely on the musicians, not noticing when Jungkook stood up. “Jin,” Jungkook starts to gain Seokjin’s attention. 

 

“What is it?” Seokjin asks, still watching the stage. 

 

 “Come with me.” Jungkook doesn’t even wait for Seokjin’s answer, taking his hand and leading him away from the festival. 

 

“Jeon, I wanted to hear them play,” Seokjin tells Jungkook who’s still pulling him away from the festival. 

 

“I know,” Jungkook simply says. He stops walking. There are few people here. Most who are heading home for the sun have already set. The music is quiet but not inaudible. 

 

Jungkook lets go of Seokjin’s hand but don’t retract it. He holds out his palm, “May I have this dance?” Seokjin blinks, not expecting the gesture. Jungkook’s expression is unreadable as he looks everywhere but at Seokjin. 

 

Seokjin slips his hand into Jungkook’s palm, also looking everywhere but at Jungkook. Jungkook raises their connected hands. Slowly, he puts his other hand on Seokjin’s waist. Seokjin lightly rests his other hand on Jungkook’s shoulder. Jungkook takes the lead. 

 

They float like bubbles as they move along to the music. Gentle, slow, and careful. The heat in Seokjin’s face starts to fade as he and Jungkook dance. The warmth from their hands touching doesn’t leave, however. 

 

“When did you learn this dance?” Seokjin wonders. Everyone at the palace, Seokjin included, seemed to only have learned this dance today. Jungkook wasn’t even there to see when Prince Clarence was demonstrating with Seokjin. 

 

“I visited Prince Clarence’s kingdom before. Two years ago,” Jungkook tells him. 

 

“What for?” Seokjin questions. Of course, Lords are always being ambassadors and visiting other kingdoms. It’s not uncommon for royals to do it themselves. Yet, they rarely do it for travel is long and possibly dangerous. Therefore, only for very important matters.

 

“To meet the princess,” Jungkook answers, momentarily making Seokjin’s eyes widen. That’s right. He forgot that Jungkook is also a prince and princes are always getting wed to other royals. 

 

“Is she beautiful?” Seokjin asks, looking over Jungkook’s shoulder. 

 

“Very pretty,” Jungkook replies, faster than Seokjin thought he would. “She was the one who taught me this dance.” Seokjin’s silent as he imagines a small princess in Jungkook’s hold, showing him how to dance. Laughing adoringly at his mistakes and correcting him, face close to his.

 

“Oh,” Seokjin manages to say. “How come you two aren’t together, then?” If it was two years ago and the two liked each other, they would be married by now or at most, engaged. 

 

“I didn’t like her,” Jungkook simply states. 

 

Seokjin stops avoiding Jungkook’s eyes, confused, “You said she was beautiful.” 

 

Jungkook shakes his head, “I said she was very pretty. Not beautiful.” 

 

Seokjin presses his lips together before he voices, “What’s the difference?” 

 

“Beautiful would be someone who I will never get tired of looking at,” Jungkook explains, all the while eyes set only on Seokjin. “Someone beautiful even past their appearance.” 

 

Seokjin feels his breath hitch. With how close they are, Jungkook hears it. His eyes gleam as he chuckles, the sound filling Seokjin’s ears. Seokjin blushes, not at his embarrassment but something else. 

 

“What else did you do with the princess?” Seokjin asks, dismissing his blush. 

 

“We spoke a lot. Mainly, dancing however for she really likes it.” Jungkook pulls Seokjin closer by the waist.

 

“Jungkook,” Seokjin huffs at the small space between them. Jungkook doesn’t say anything and that’s when Seokjin realizes he used Jungkook’s real name which he rarely uses. 

 

“Yes, Seokjin,” Jungkook says, voice smooth and a tint sweet. 

 

“I-I’m not that princess,” Seokjin stutters, letting go of Jungkook’s hand. He steps back. “I don’t enjoy dancing very much,” he lies. Seokjin looks up at the night sky, “We should head back. It’s late.” 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin waits as Jungkook reaches for the key in his robe. They’re standing at the back gate of the Palace of Tiger Lily where they always leave and enter when going to the marketplace. 

 

“Did you forget it?” Seokjin interrogates as he takes note of how long Jungkook’s been searching his robe for it. 

 

Jungkook stops digging in his pockets, offering Seokjin a meek smile. “I’m used to always having it before we go but today was so sudden, I forgot,” he explains. 

 

Seokjin’s not mad at him, feeling somewhat at fault for it as well. For Jungkook only brought him out since he was feeling down. That’s right. Seokjin forgot all about what happened earlier today.

 

“It’s fine. We’ll find another way in,” Seokjin says, though not sure which other ways in are there. The celebration must still be happening so entering the other gates isn’t an option. 

 

Seokjin stares at the very tall palace wall. Then, he stares at the gate’s door. An idea pops into his head. “Jeon,” Seokjin says. 

 

“Yes?” Jungkook turns to him, tilting his head. 

 

“You can climb, right?” Seokjin asks although he knows for sure that Jungkook can. 

 

“Yes, I-“ Jungkook follows Seokjin’s gaze. “I don’t know if that’s going to work, Jin.”

 

Seokjin deflates, “Why not? We haven’t even tried it.”

 

“It’s high and dangerous,” Jungkook reasons. “Even if I were to be able to climb over it. It’s locked from the inside as well so it’s no use since you’d be out here still.” 

 

“I can climb as well,” Seokjin defends himself. He goes over to the gate, checking the sturdiness of it. “You’re also here to teach me,” Seokjin looks over to Jungkook. “Can we at least give it a try, Jungkook?” 

 

Jungkook sighs but walks over to where he is. He starts to untie his dark red sash and Seokjin covers his eyes with his hand. “W-what are you doing?” Seokjin asks, squeezing his eyes shut despite already having it covered. 

 

“It’ll be safer if we have something to grab onto,” Jungkook tells him. 

 

“Oh…” Seokjin removes his hand, understanding Jungkook’s reason. Jungkook takes off his silky robe, another layer of clothes under. He ties the robe and sash together, throwing it over. He gives it a couple of tugs to make sure it’s secure before starting to climb. 

 

“I’ll go first,” Jungkook tells Seokjin. “Watch carefully.” He starts up the made-up rope effortlessly. Seokjin’s lips part as Jungkook arrives at the top in no time, scooting over so he’d be sitting on the wall. He looks down at Seokjin, “Now, do what I just did.” 

 

Seokjin gulps. “I’ll try,” he weakly says as he starts up the rope of clothes. It’s harder than Jungkook makes it to be and he feels like his feet will slip anytime. 

 

“You’re doing good, Jin,” Jungkook tells him, encouraging Seokjin to reach the top. Once close enough, Jungkook offers his hand to Seokjin who gladly takes it. He lets out the breath he was holding in. 

 

“Okay, now down,” Jungkook says as he pulls the rope up from the other side, and throws it down. Seokjin’s not afraid anymore, knowing that he succeeded before. Jungkook goes first. 

 

As he’s proceeding down, Seokjin watches him. His eyes trail the rope Jungkook made with his clothes. He can’t believe it’s this stable. 

 

Jungkook’s about a quarter down when the rope starts to undo itself, proving Seokjin wrong. “Jungkook!” Seokjin yells as he grabs the rope that’s about to fall. Immediately, he’s about to be dragged down with it. Yet, Seokjin pulls it back with all his might. 

 

“What happened?!” Jungkook yells from below, not seeing Seokjin. “Jin, are you alright?!”

 

Seokjin breathes out shakily, feeling sweat on his forehead. He’s holding onto Jungkook right now. “I’m fine,” Seokjin starts. With how still the rope is, Jungkook must’ve stopped moving. “How far are you from the ground?” Seokjin asks, feeling strained from holding Jungkook. 

 

“A third,” Jungkook replies. “Jin, what happened? Did the rope untie?” 

 

“Yes, it undid itself. I caught it just before it slipped,” Seokjin explains to Jungkook. 

 

“Just stay put. I’m coming back up,” Jungkook starts to move up and Seokjin tries his best to stay still but he finds himself getting pull to the edge. Jungkook notices this and stops moving. “Never mind about that.”

 

Seokjin wants to believe that he can just hold the rope while Jungkook moves but he’s not confident in that. Especially with how he almost got pulled to the edge just now. “I’ll try to tie it again,” Seokjin suggests. “Try not to move,” he tells Jungkook. 

 

Seokjin scoots to where the rope was tied earlier. It strains against him as he tries to tie it around the little knob. Sweat bunches above Seokjin’s brows as he ties it. He sighs, “Okay, I did it.” 

 

The rope starts to strain like how it did when Jungkook first headed down but it’s not undoing itself. Seokjin regains his breath as Jungkook continues down the rope. “You can come down now,” Jungkook tells him. 

 

Seokjin starts down the rope, shaking away his panic from earlier. He’s halfway down when Jungkook yells, “Jin!” Seokjin looks up just in time as the rope starts to fall, him falling as well. He squeezes his eyes shut for the landing.

 

He feels something hard against his back, a pair of arms wrap around his waist and a small “Oof” follows after it.

 

Seokjin’s eyes fly open after feeling no more falling. He sits up and looks down. “Jeon,” Seokjin shakes Jungkook’s shoulder. His eyes are closed, his body still and unmoving.