Chapter Seventeen

For The Reason That

Seokjin gnaws at his left inner cheek as he waits for Jungkook. It's been four days since Jungkook saw Prince Taehyung kiss him. Jungkook ran away and Seokjin can't blame him for that. He blames himself for letting Prince Taehyung kiss him and for letting Jungkook watch. 

 

He should've pushed Prince Taehyung. Should've been up and gone. But he didn't because he doesn't want to find out what Prince Taehyung will think or do if he does. Still, that's no excuse.

 

Seokjin leaves his thoughts be as the door opens and Jungkook's face appears. Without another thought, he steps into the room and throws his arms around Jungkook. "I miss you so much, Jungkook," Seokjin breathes in the familiar scent of Jungkook. 

 

Jungkook embraces him. "I miss you too, Seokjin." Seokjin leans into his warmth, never wanting to let go. However, he does as Jungkook lets him go, closing the doors. 

 

As Jungkook leads him into the room, Seokjin realizes that this is Jungkook's bedroom. He sits down on Jungkook's bed as Jungkook tends to the fireplace. The blanket underneath his fingers is soft and fluffy. Along with the black color, it resembles the coat of a black panther. 

 

The fire is high and crackling with heat yet Jungkook is still at its side, leaving Seokjin alone. "Jungkook," Seokjin blinks, and Jungkook's face from when the crown prince kissed him appears. "About what you saw the other day..." Seokjin could feel the guilt sitting on his shoulders. "I didn't mean for that to happen. I didn't know he would do that. I wished it never happened." 

 

He hates that he can't see Jungkook's face. The guilt chews intensely at him as he struggles for a better explanation. "My lips are only for you to claim," Seokjin whispers. 

 

Jungkook turns around slowly and he doesn't say anything as Seokjin stares impatiently for a response. Finally, Jungkook sinks on the bed next to him. Crookedly, Jungkook smiles at him. "I wasn't expecting you to say such."

 

Seokjin puts his hand on top of Jungkook's. "I say such for I mean such." He feels a sense of familiarity as Jungkook's eyes finally turn to him. "I'm sorry." He wills himself to not look away despite the shame. His eyes water, "I broke your heart."

 

Jungkook looks down and when he looks back up, his eyes are shiny. This makes Seokjin feel worse, knowing that he hurt Jungkook. He parts his lips only for a shaky breath to escape. Jungkook caresses his cheek, wiping at his spilling tears. His own tears are spilling. "You didn't break my heart."

 

Seokjin wants to ask then, why is he crying if it weren't the pain Seokjin had caused him but he doesn't get to as Jungkook leans forward to claim his lips. Seokjin kisses him back without even having to think of it for it became second nature. When they break for air, Seokjin kisses Jungkook's tears. 

 

Jungkook tilts his head as he leans in for another kiss. Without either of them noticing, their hands had already found their way to each other. Behind Seokjin's closed eyelids, all of the moments he shared with Jungkook play like a montage. So fun, heart-warming, and romantic like a love story. 

 

Seokjin opens his eyes as their kiss ends. He's looking at Jungkook who is the sole captivator of his heart. "I love you, Jungkook." Jungkook's eyes widen slightly. "All of me loves you and all of you, I love."

 

Jungkook's eyes are shiny again but he blinks and they go away. "I love you too, Seokjin." He gazes into Seokjin's eyes. "All of you, I love and all of me loves you." A soft smile adorns Seokjin's face. However, big on the inside.

 

Seokjin leans forward and their mouths open under each other. One of Jungkook's hands goes to hold the back of his head as he lowers him onto the bed. Seokjin's arms wrap around Jungkook's neck, pulling him down even more. Enjoying their kiss more than he does honey.

 

Jungkook takes Seokjin's hand amidst their shared kiss, resting it on the sash around his waist. Seokjin tugs at it and it loosens. Jungkook's robe loosens and his lips trail down to Seokjin's neck, breath hot but welcomed. 

 

Seokjin lets Jungkook's hands pull at the silk on him. He does it so tenderly, making sure the clothes are still intact and that Seokjin's comfortable. Seokjin lets the air of Jungkook's room and Jungkook kiss his bare skin, holding Jungkook close. 

 

His voice rings quaint and delicate, harmonizing with that of Jungkook's. The catch of their breaths replaces that of the dying fire that no one tends to. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin leans his head on his arm, watching the floating dust in the sunlight streaming through the curtain. He smiles as the paintbrush tickles him. Jungkook continues drawing on his back and Seokjin does his best to guess what it is but ultimately gives up. "Jungkook," he breaks the silence. However, the calm atmosphere still stays. "What's your biggest weakness?" 

 

Jungkook continues moving the brush against Seokjin's , thinking for a moment. "Your eyes," he replies softly. Seokjin smiles. "And you?" 

 

"I..." Seokjin purses his lips in deep thoughts. "My view is usually blurred. I can never see the reality or see things coming until it's right in front of my eyes." Like when he liked the crown prince. It took him forever to realize he didn't love him and that Prince Taehyung didn't love him back. 

 

Jungkook stops moving the paintbrush. "Isn't that all of us?" The brush continues to glide along his skin. "It's not that we can't see the reality. It's that we can't accept it," he speaks profoundly. "And none of us can see the future." 

 

"You're right," Seokjin agrees with him. "Yet, I still feel like I expertly lack in that more than others." 

 

"Don't worry. I for one lack intuition to the brim," Jungkook tells him, assuredly. 

 

Seokjin laughs. "That must mean we're meant to be, then," he says gently, trailing his finger along Jungkook's silk sheets. 

 

Jungkook lifts the brush off of Seokjin, setting it aside. He lies down on his side, facing Seokjin. Seokjin grins at being able to see him again. "Jin," Jungkook calls. Seokjin nods. "I want you to know that I love you." 

 

"I know," Seokjin gazes into Jungkook's beautiful eyes. "I love you too, Jeon Jungkook." Jungkook breaks out into a small smile. Seokjin slips his hand into Jungkook's. "May I know what you painted on me?" 

 

Jungkook shakes his head, "Wait until you get back to your palace."

 

Seokjin pouts but scoots closer to Jungkook. "Then may I paint on you?" 

 

"Mmh," Jungkook nods at the nightstand where the paint is. Eagerly, Seokjin gets to painting on Jungkook's back. He doesn't take as long as Jungkook did. 

 

"Guess what I drew?" Seokjin asks him. 

 

"Nothing. Just squiggly lines," Jungkook says. "That's why it didn't take you long." Seokjin parts his lips, a little offended. Jungkook chuckles at his reaction, "I'm just kidding." He sits up, bringing Seokjin's hand to his lips and pressing a kiss to it, "You drew me." 

 

"You're correct," Seokjin beams. 

 

"I am?" Jungkook raises a brow, surprised he guessed correctly. 

 

"Somewhat correct. I drew a bunny since you're just like one," Seokjin pinches Jungkook's cheek. 

 

Jungkook laughs and puts his hand on top of Seokjin's hand that pinched his cheek. "I'm going to disagree with you. I'm nothing like a bunny," he says but with a smile and gleam in his eyes. 

 

Seokjin shakes his head and pulls his hand out from under Jungkook's. He grabs the paintbrush and holds Jungkook's innocent face as he paints on whiskers. "Now you're exactly like a bunny." Jungkook wrinkles his nose in disagreement, causing Seokjin to laugh. "My adorable good bunny." 

 

He pulls Seokjin closer by the arms and leans forward to whisper in his ears. "Whoever said I was good," Jungkook whispers huskily. Then as if to prove his point, he growls a little. 

 

The tips of Seokjin's ears turn red and he can't get any words out as Jungkook's teeth graze his ear. He turns his head so that Jungkook is no longer by his ear. Tentatively, he puts his hand on Jungkook's nape, pulling him in for a kiss.

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin slides his robe off, turning his head slightly to look in the mirror. He gasps in awe as he takes in the art Jungkook drew. It's the beach with the sunset on the horizon. Two doves are flying together. 

 

Seokjin pulls his robe back on when he hears knocking on his doors. "Come in." Sadly, he had to return to the Palace of Rumex. 

 

Hyeon opens the door, bringing a tray of breakfast. "How was your sleep, Your Royal Highness?" she asks as she closes the door behind her.

 

Seokjin's reminded of last night and a blush covers his cheeks. "It was good," he simply says. He eats his breakfast with Jungkook on his mind. Jungkook had asked to meet him again tonight at the marketplace. 

 

As Hyeon is about to take away the empty breakfast tray, Seokjin says, "I'll be going to the marketplace tonight." Hyeon stops, looking like she's about to object but then nods. 

 

~~~~

 

The marketplace is bustling with people tonight but Seokjin still easily spots Jungkook in the crowd. Jungkook raises his hand, waving at Seokjin. He's no longer in his royal clothes and the sight warms Seokjin's heart. He and Jungkook haven't been out in a while. 

 

He hurries to Jungkook's side, also not dressed as a prince anymore. "Hey, Jeon," Seokjin greets with a grin. 

 

Jungkook grins back, "Hey, Jin." 

 

They walk around the marketplace, eating all types of food, playing games they pass, laughing, talking, entering many types of shops, etc. It brings Seokjin back to the days when they used to sneak out every chance they got. 

 

As it gets later, and Seokjin's feet start to ache, the couple sits down on a bench in a secluded area. Jungkook brought his hulusi with him, taking it out and playing for Seokjin. Seokjin watches with loving eyes. After a couple of songs, Jungkook lowers the hulusi. "Are you going to look at me like that for the whole night?"

 

Seokjin feels the tips of his ears turn red but he dismisses it, scooting closer to Jungkook and resting his head on his shoulder. Jungkook welcomes him, wrapping an arm around him. "Not just for the night," Seokjin likes how he can hear Jungkook's light breathing. "But forever." He presses a chaste kiss on Jungkook's cheek. 

 

They stay like that for a moment until Jungkook shifts, pulling away from Seokjin slightly to face him. "Do you remember the story about how the sun and the moon came to be?" Seokjin nods. "Do you also remember the play about the star-crossed angel and the prince?" Seokjin nods again. 

 

Jungkook's eyes shift away from Seokjin, "Don't you wonder why love stories always end in tragedy?" 

 

"Not all end in tragedy," Seokjin says, recounting many other stories about love. 

 

"Yes, but the greatest ones end in tragedy," Jungkook speaks softly, looking into the distance. 

 

"Ours won't end in tragedy," Seokjin says confidently, making Jungkook look back at him. He entwines his hand with Jungkook's and looks into his eyes to find conflict in them. "Do you worry it will?" Jungkook parts his lips but doesn't say anything. As his eyes are about to stray away again, Seokjin caresses his cheek. 

 

"Is something of the matter? You can tell me," Seokjin speaks softly. He doesn't want Jungkook to be in distress. Especially if it's something concerning him. 

 

"I..." Jungkook hesitates. "need to tell you something." Seokjin waits for him to continue. "I love you." Seokjin tilts his head, smiling a little. This, he already knows. Even if Jungkook doesn't say it, Seokjin knows for he feels the exact feeling. 

 

Jungkook's about to speak again when "Your Royal Highness!" Both Jungkook and Seokjin flinch. Their heads both turn at the voice and Seokjin's eyes widen. However, he doesn't pull away from Jungkook. 

 

Hyeon storms over to them, eyes wide and brows pinched together. "What are you doing?" She looks between Seokjin and Jungkook, eyes landing on their interlocked hands. 

 

"Hyeon, I-" Seokjin doesn't get to finish.

 

"Let's go back. You've been gone for too long." She reaches for Seokjin's free hand but Seokjin dodges her. "Your Royal Highness," she whispers harshly. 

 

"I don't want to go," Seokjin swallows. "I want to stay here with Jungkook," he looks at Jungkook who's looking back at him. Hyeon blinks as if not being able to register his words. Seokjin looks down at their interlocked hands, hurt by Hyeon's reaction. But he pushes it away. He's not ashamed of Jungkook. "I love him." 

 

Hyeon gasps and she goes silent. Jungkook takes this opportunity to talk, "Hyeon's right. Let's all head back." Reluctantly, Seokjin agrees. Jungkook finds them a carriage heading to the palace, asking if they could get a ride. 

 

The carriage ride back is awkward and Seokjin can't look Hyeon in the eyes. However, he continues holding Jungkook's hand. 

 

~~~~

 

With Hyeon's coldness radiating off of her, Jungkook parts way with Seokjin and Hyeon when they arrive at the palace. No words are exchanged between them until they're alone in Seokjin's bedchamber.

 

"Your Royal Highness, what were you thinking?" Hyeon asks, eyes closed and brows pinched together. 

 

"Hyeon-"

 

"I can't believe it," Hyeon presses a hand to her forehead. "I should've known. All those nights you were gone, I should've followed my suspicion." She shakes her head and more fray hair falls around her face. "But I didn't because..." her eyes trail up to Seokjin and she looks less mad. 

 

She breathes in a short breath then releases it. "You've been so happy," her shoulders slump. She looks up, blinking her shiny eyes. Brushing a strand of hair behind her ear, "When did it start?" 

 

Seokjin gulps, not sure if he heard Hyeon correctly. Hesitantly, he starts to tell Hyeon how he fell in love with Jungkook. Hyeon stays quiet and her back is towards Seokjin most of the time but the more Seokjin tells, the more she turns to face him. By the time he's finished, Hyeon isn't fuming anymore. 

 

"Oh, Your Royal Highness," Hyeon says with a sigh, back to having her back turned to Seokjin. Seokjin holds his breath, ready to hear Hyeon's scolding. However, Hyeon doesn't say anything. 

 

"Are you mad at us?" Seokjin asks upon no words from her.

 

She turns around, shaking her head. "His Highness is a good person and I can tell how much he loves you." She walks over to Seokjin and picks up his hand. "But it worries me what will happen if the rest of the royal family finds out." Hyeon's forehead creases, "You will be in great trouble. They will say that you are-"

 

"I know," Seokjin interrupts her flatly. "But I also know how much I love Jungkook." 

 

~~~~

 

"How is Hyeon?" Jungkook asks as Seokjin sits down beside him. 

 

"She doesn't disapprove of us," Seokjin leans his head on Jungkook's shoulder, feeling drained. "However, she looks at me differently now." 

 

"What do you mean?" Jungkook asks, and Seokjin can feel his head turn. 

 

"She looks at me like I'm a different person." He looks up at Jungkook. "But it's okay. I understand that she's still shocked and she's just worried for us." Jungkook presses his lips together. Seokjin spots a very dark purple butterfly fluttering by. "Look, it's a butterfly," he points out, trying to lighten up the mood. He reaches a finger out to it but before the butterfly could come close, Jungkook snatches his hand, yanking him away from the creature.

 

"What's wrong?" Seokjin notes the furrowed brows of Jungkook. 

 

Jungkook's eyes are on the butterfly and he watches cautiously as it flies away. Once gone, he explains to Seokjin, "My mother used to tell me not to touch any black butterflies for they are poisonous by just touch alone." 

 

"Really?" Seokjin asks, never once heard of a poisonous butterfly by touch. He's heard of butterflies that are poisonous to eat but that's all. Thinking about it, he's also never seen a butterfly so dark before and for it to appear in the winter as well. 

 

Jungkook nods and Seokjin pushes the thought of the peculiar butterfly away. Instead, focusing on Jungkook's safe and comforting hold around him. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin sits down beside Prince Taehyung whose face is stern, his eyes holding a conflict in them. Seokjin glances around the throne room, noting that the King, Queen, and all the officials' are here. Jungkook too. He stands secluded from them, however. 

 

"What happened, Your Royal Highness?" Seokjin asks Prince Taehyung, hoping to get an answer as to why everyone is gathered. 

 

Only then, does he notice Seokjin. "The fishermen found something. They said it was urgent," the crown prince informs him. His expression tells Seokjin that he is afraid what they found is bad.

 

Just then, the doors to the throne room open. Who, Seokjin assumes is a fisherman bows to the King. "Greetings, Your Majesty. I am sorry to disturb you all but my men and I have found something of great concern," the fisherman tells them with his head down. 

 

"What is it?" the King demands, impatient. However, Seokjin can tell that he too was just as afraid as Prince Taehyung of this mysterious thing found. 

 

The fisherman doesn't say anything, instead, standing up and looking behind him. He nods at the other fishermen outside and they all come in. However, not alone. 

 

Seokjin gasp as they carry in a body, setting it down right in front of them. There is a white cloth over the body, hiding the identity of the person. One of the fishermen leans forward, closing his eyes as he lifts the cloth off of the dead person's face. Immediately, the stench of death hits his nostrils. 

 

Pushing the smell aside, Seokjin takes a look at the body. "Lord Lim," Prince Taehyung whispers, brows furrowed. "How could this be?" he wonders aloud. Seokjin wonders as well. The last time they heard from the official, he was traveling back from his visit at Gorchik. 

 

"Your Royal Highness," one of the fisherman start. "Lord Lim was found with all of his belonging. He was not attacked by bandits. However," the fisherman gulps. "His body was found in the Hwayi River which flows downwards from Gorchik."

 

Prince Taehyung's eyes widen. "Are you suggesting that Gorchik did this?" the King bellows.

 

The fisherman cowers in fear. "Father," Prince Taehyung starts, gaining his attention. "We have to think this through carefully. If it was the royals of Gorchik, then it is a wage of war." 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin paces back and forth. After what occurred in the throne room, the King, Prince Taehyung, Jungkook, and the officials held a meeting. Seokjin and the others left. Before he did, Jungkook and he shared a glance with Jungkook nodding. He'll come to tell Seokjin of what is to happen once it's been decided. It's been hours and Jungkook has yet to show up.

 

Seokjin did not realize how peaceful the kingdom has been. Though not confirmed, the thought of war leaves an uneasy feeling in Seokjin's stomach. 

 

He hears a knock on his door. "Come in," Seokjin immediately calls. Hyeon opens the door to reveal Jungkook. Seokjin stands up, going over to Jungkook who steps into the room with the door closing behind him. Jungkook embraces him as they meet in the middle of Seokjin's room. 

 

They hug for a full minute before Seokjin speaks, "What is it?" 

 

Jungkook shakes his head and Seokjin leads them to sit down on the bed. He starts from the beginning right after Seokjin and the others left, telling him every detail and word. All of it is bad news as they come to conclude that Gorchik has declared war with them. Jungkook doesn't directly say it but both know that this means Jungkook will have to go to war. "When," Seokjin his dry lips. "will the troops start heading to Gorchik?" In other words, 'When will you go?'

 

"We haven't decided which general should lead his men first but they plan to leave by the end of this month." 

 

"Oh," Seokjin nods, doing his best to keep his face blank. If Jungkook gets picked to go first then they only have two more weeks together. If he's picked to be first, that means he and his soldiers will be the first to attack Gorchik. The first troops are always more vulnerable and their chances of returning are slim. 

 

Jungkook places his hand over Seokjin's and as if reading his mind, "My men are great. We'll be fine."

 

"Of course, they're great. They have you leading them," Seokjin says with a soft smile, ignoring all the other factors that do not work in their favor. He leans into Jungkook, resting his head in the space between his neck and shoulder. "But war is unpredictable and it worries me to know that you'll leave and go deep into it." It scares him to know that he can lose Jungkook. 

 

Jungkook doesn't say anything. Only holds him closer, pressing a kiss to his head. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin stares at the tea leaves in his cup, drowning Prince Taehyung's words out. The weight of the upcoming war sits on his head stubbornly and he can't dismiss his worry for Jungkook no matter how hard he tries. "Seokjin, dear," Prince Taehyung scoots closer to him. He tilts his head to meet Seokjin's lowered eyes. "Is something of the matter? You look pale."

 

Seokjin fakes an assured smile, "I'm fine."

 

Unlike the other times, Prince Taehyung doesn't believe him. "Is it because of what's been happening lately?" he asks, genuinely concerned. 

 

"I-" Seokjin stops as he stares into Prince Taehyung's eyes. Unlike Jungkook, the crown prince isn't going to war for they can't risk losing the next king. Seokjin isn't going as well but maybe if he asks, he can. He'll go accompany Jungkook and make sure he's safe. They'll be together and everything will be fine. He rarely asks Prince Taehyung for something. Now that he thinks about it, has he ever asked for something? Surely, the crown prince will grant his wish. "I was wondering if I may go to war and help fight." The words are foreign to Seokjin but he isn't afraid of them.

 

Prince Taehyung's eyes enlarge, and straight away, the words follow, "Of course not." 

 

"Why not?" Seokjin questions. "I want to help."

 

"I can't let you," Prince Taehyung grabs his arms, turning him towards him. "I can't lose you, Seokjin." Seokjin looks away, feeling tears come to his eyes at the thought (which is becoming reality) that he may lose Jungkook to the war. 

 

~~~~

 

A week pass and the decision of which General will lead his men to Gorchik first has not been decided. Seokjin and Jungkook avoid the talk of war, acting as if the whole thing isn't going to occur. However, Seokjin feels that Jungkook, like him, is always thinking about it. There have been many occasions where Seokjin would catch Jungkook staring at him too long. Staring with a sense of longing. 

 

Seokjin and Jungkook are sitting with their backs against each other. Seokjin leans his head against Jungkook, eyes close as he listens to the familiar tune of the hulusi. No matter how many times he's heard the instrument, he never gets tired of it. Never gets tired of Jungkook's song. 

 

Jungkook finishes playing. The calm of the night folds over them and although they're in the marketplace, there aren't many people due to the cold. It's secluded where they are which is by the water channel. It's frozen because of winter. Seokjin smiles as he remembers when he and Jungkook rode in one of the canoes, sharing a wish. "Jin," Jungkook calls quietly. 

 

"Yes," Seokjin replies, sitting up. 

 

"No, don't get up," Jungkook tells him, still with his back to him. Reluctantly, Seokjin goes back to sitting with his back against Jungkook's. He brings his hands together in his laps, rubbing them to feel the warmth. Slowly, Jungkook speaks again, "I need to tell you something." 

 

It takes a moment for words to come out, "What is it?" With how Jungkook's acting, Seokjin's not sure of what to feel. 

 

He hears Jungkook takes in a breath. Notes of how it shakes. "I'm sorry, Seokjin." Seokjin doesn't get to voice his question before Jungkook continues. "I know you'll hate me forever. I even thought of never telling you but if I do that, I won't be able to live with myself." 

 

"Jung-"

 

"I need to do this. I've been planning to do this. But every time I'm about to, I don't," Jungkook takes a pause. "But I'm going to tonight. I have to." Confused, Seokjin feels Jungkook's head falls on his shoulder. "It was a summer's day. The hum of the wind was quiet as the sun shined brightly down."

 

 

**************************

 

It was a summer's day. The hum of the wind was quiet as the sun shined brightly down. Jungkook squints up at the sun. "He should be here by now," Jungkook mumbles. 

 

As he waits for his friend, Hoseok, he looks around, noting the expression on people's faces. Being raised in the palace, everyone there acted as if commoners' were poor, sad people who could never live a fulfilling life. Yet, as Jungkook takes in the faces of the people around him, he notices that they look happier and more lively than everyone at the palace. Him, included.

 

Jungkook waves as a familiar face come into view. He's been friends with Hoseok for well over five years now. The commoner only knows him as Jeon, of course. Not the second prince of the North Kingdom, Kim Jungkook. Jungkook wants to keep it that way. Luckily, Hoseok never pries too much about his family and who he is. 

 

Being with Hoseok, being in the marketplace, being surrounded by normal people, being Jeon is when Jungkook is truly in his skin. Ironic, isn't it? To be himself, he needs to be someone else.

 

His thoughts are interrupted when he hears a scream. Alert, he raises his head just in time to see a man snatch something out of a young woman's hands before running off. "Someone catch that thief!" she cries. Jungkook goes running after the criminal without another thought. 

 

He says hundreds of apologies as he bumps into hundreds of people. "Jeon, what are you doing?!" Hoseok questions as he's now running by Jungkook's side. 

 

"Catching a thief," Jungkook continues sprinting, not wanting to lose sight of him. "Well, attempting to." He pouts as the distance between them and the thief gets greater. He bites his inner cheek, trying to remember the map of the marketplace. "Hoseok," Jungkook starts, still running. "Continue chasing after him, I'll take a shortcut. That way, we'll be able to corner him."

 

"How do you know where he's heading?!" Hoseok shouts back, narrowly dodging a child. 

 

"I don't," with that, Jungkook turns. He runs through the allies, weaving through them. He starts to second guess himself when he does not spot Hoseok or the thief at all. However, after listening to the yelps and screams of people, Jungkook finds his way to them. 

 

He runs out from behind a building, blocking the thief's way. "Got you," he pants. The thief scowls at him, turning around, only to meet Hoseok. Jungkook grins, "You've got nowhere to run." He's always been one to like the taste of victory. The thief throws not only a glare but the box he stole at Jungkook before running off in another direction. "Get him, Hoseok!" Jungkook yells as he catches the box. Once, safely in his hands, he opens it, hoping the content inside is not broken after being handled so harshly.

 

The jewelry inside smiled up at him, safe and all in one piece. Jungkook sighs, relieved and closes the box. "Oof!" A sharp pain spreads through his cheek. He doesn't even get to see who punched him before another punch lands on the other side of his face. 

 

"Did you think you could get away?!" Jungkook blinks, black spots covering his vision. "You thief!" He feels the box get snatched out of his hands. 

 

"I'm not the one who stole-"

 

"The evidence was in your hand," the man accuses. Jungkook's jaw drops, not believing how this man is not believing him. Just then, the young woman who screamed earlier comes running towards them. "This is the thief, isn't it, Jiyoung?"

 

The young woman, Jiyoung, looks at Jungkook, eyes widening. "No, he's the one who chased after the thief right away." Jungkook holds back an amused smile as the man who beat him up eyes widen, looking like his soul left him. 

 

"He is?" the man rubs his neck awkwardly as he stares Jungkook up and down, noticing the damage he's done. 

 

"Don't tell me you thought he was the thief?" Jiyoung asks as he looks between them. She gasps, "You did!" She turns to Jungkook, bowing, "I'm deeply sorry about my brother, Jimin, beating you up."

 

Jungkook smiles but immediately grimaces at the pain, making Jiyoung fret more. "It's okay. It was just a misunderstanding. Right, Jimin?" He asks, looking at the guilty fellow. Jimin lowers his head, embarrassed.