Chapter Nine

For The Reason That

“Come on, come on,” Seokjin whispers under his breath as the two tops continue to spin. Jungkook cheers as his spinning top hit Seokjin’s, making it slow down. Seokjin ignores him, staring intently at his toy and praying for it to win. 

 

“Ah yeah!” Jungkook throws his arms in the air cheering as Seokjin’s spinning top comes to a stop, falling helplessly to the ground. The people around them who were watching clap their hands and applaud Jungkook. 

 

Seokjin goes up to Jungkook. “What is it that you wish from me?” Seokjin asks, wanting to get this over with. 

 

Jungkook squints his eyes, thinking hard. He shrugs, “I haven’t decided. Once I do, I’ll tell you.” The two had challenged each other with a game of spinning tops. Whoever wins, will get a wish granted from the other. 

 

Seokjin’s flabbergasted as Jungkook walks away. He grabs Jungkook’s sleeve. “Just tell me now. I don’t want to be indebted to you,” Seokjin announces to Jungkook. 

 

“No can do,” Jungkook pulls his sleeve from Seokjin’s grip. “Looks like you owe me something,” he grins devilishly. He turns his back to Seokjin, continuing forward. Seokjin sighs, regretting his agreement to this deal.

 

They weave through the bustling marketplace, Jungkook leading the way. “Do you draw often?” Seokjin asks as they continue walking. He recalls Jungkook’s small drawing of a tiger lily. Though seeming only like a doodle, it held quite a resemblance to the real flower. 

 

“Here and there,” Jungkook says causally. “Why do you ask?” 

 

“I was just wondering,” Seokjin says.

 

“Not because of the flower I drew on the note?” Jungkook asks with a light smile on his lips. 

 

“N-not everything is about you,” Seokjin blubbers, a not very princely thing to do. Seokjin doesn’t know why he keeps accompanying Jungkook when all he does is tease and bicker with Seokjin. 

 

Jungkook comes to a stop in front of a booth, taking Seokjin’s left hand in his. “Jeon, what are you…” Seokjin’s voice trails off as Jungkook takes a paintbrush and dips it into white paint. 

 

He brings the paintbrush to Seokjin’s hand. Seokjin tries to pull his hand away but Jungkook stops him, “Stay still.” He rests Seokjin’s hand on the counter so that his fingers were facing up. Then he pushes Seokjin’s sleeve back to reveal his forearm. In the middle of his forearm, the paintbrush touches Seokjin’s skin. 

 

Reluctantly, Seokjin stays still. He watches as Jungkook starts drawing on him. “You don’t need to worry about people seeing it since your sleeve will cover it anyway,” Jungkook tells him, eyes trained on the brush.

 

So far all that is on his arm is a sort of oval shape with flowing lines to accompany it. “What is it?” Seokjin asks, not able to guess the odd drawing.

 

“Patience, Jin,” Jungkook says, his eyes taking a break from the drawing and meeting Seokjin’s, “I’m fast but all good things need time.” The words ring in Seokjin’s ears as Jungkook focuses on drawing again.

 

“What if it doesn’t turn out good?” Seokjin mumbles to himself but Jungkook hears it. Seokjin gasps as Jungkook wipes paint onto his face with the paintbrush. “Jeon!” Seokjin yells in a hushed whisper, touching where the paint is. 

 

Jungkook snickers, “Just sit still and be quiet for a bit. You do that a lot back at the palace.” 

 

Seokjin reddens at his statement, feeling shame. In the corner of his eyes, he notices a paintbrush sitting next to a jar of black paint. He grabs the paintbrush and dips it into the paint, making sure to take a big glob with him as he paints Jungkook’s face. 

 

“Jin!” Jungkook shoos his hand away, a black hole on his cheek. 

 

Seokjin sets the brush down, a giggle escaping his lips. “Now, we’re equal,” he beams. The irritation on Jungkook’s face goes away as fast as it came and his head drops back down to the drawing. Seokjin raises a brow, surprised he didn’t throw a snarky remark back. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin rinses his face with the water from the stream, rubbing at where the paint is. He checks his reflection in the stream to make sure there are no more traces of paint left before drying his face with his handkerchief. 

 

He glances over to Jungkook who has a harder time getting the black paint off his face. He bites his bottom lip as he stares at his reflection, hand harshly scrubbing to the point where his cheek is turning red. 

 

Seokjin goes over to him, feeling guilt for his action. “If you scrub like that, not only will the paint come off but your whole cheek will,” he jokes. He bends down next to Jungkook. “Let me see,” he says softly. 

 

Jungkook turns his head to him, a slight pout on his lips. Seokjin laughs and dips his handkerchief in the water. He twists it so the water drips out. Then he goes to scrubbing Jungkook’s cheek with it. 

 

“Although you’re five years younger than me, you don’t treat me respectfully at all,” Seokjin tells Jungkook. “That’s why this happened to you,” he says, glaring at Jungkook half-heartedly.

 

Jungkook's eyes enlarge at his reasoning in disbelief but then he smiles. “I deeply apologize, Mister,” he says formally, eyes playful. “Ouch,” he winces as Seokjin scrubs harder. 

 

“I’m not an old man,” Seokjin scolds.

 

“I didn’t say you were,” Jungkook denies. 

 

“But you were saying Mister as if I was,” Seokjin reasons like a child. 

 

“Mayhaps I was,” Jungkook says, grinning. 

 

“See, this is what I’m talking about.” Seokjin rubs at the paint harsher. 

 

Jungkook hisses in pain, “Okay, you win. I admit I was wrong, Jin.” 

 

Seokjin sighs and goes back to gently scrubbing the paint off of Jungkook’s cheek.

 

~~~~

 

Jungkook opens the gate, letting Seokjin enter first. Seokjin does so and unlike the usual of him walking as fast as he can back to the Palace of Rumex, Seokjin waits for Jungkook to finish locking the gate. 

 

Jungkook turns around, raising a brow at the sight of him still here. “Jeon,” Seokjin starts hesitantly, “you know this kingdom well, don’t you?” 

 

“Of course,” Jungkook answers. “I grew up here.” 

 

Seokjin nods, “Do you know the places past the palace walls as well?” 

 

“Of course, I’m always going out.” Jungkook tilts his head, “Why do you ask?”

 

“Who’s there?” A voice Seokjin doesn’t recognize interrupts. Jungkook moves fast, pulling Seokjin into the bushes nearby. They both crouch slowly to the ground, eyes widen, and ears listening closely to the nearing footsteps. “Is anyone there?” the light from the guard’s lantern shines closer to where Seokjin and Jungkook are. 

 

Seokjin’s focus is completely on the guard who is doing his job exceptionally well. He’s not quite sure if there’s a wrong in him and Jungkook leaving the palace so often but he doesn’t want to find out. 

 

He’s praying to any ancestors and gods that would listen to him that the guard won’t find them out when all of sudden he finds Jungkook’s shoulder nudging into his. 

 

He turns to Jungkook, eyes narrowed, wondering why Jungkook is moving closer. Jungkook is too preoccupied with something else, not catching sight of Seokjin’s glare. Seokjin doesn’t dare to speak, tapping him on the shoulder to earn his attention. 

 

Jungkook turns to him, unease in his eyes. Seokjin raises his brows as to why he was moving closer and closer to him by the second. Jungkook slowly turns his head back to where he was staring, nodding at it. 

 

Seokjin follows his gaze and though dark, he could soon make out a spider the size of a hibiscus. It also had multiple shiny, round black eyes blinking at them, all in sync. Jungkook attempts to scoot further from the uncanny creature but Seokjin stays rooted in place, shaking his head. 

 

He doesn’t want to risk them getting found out by the shuffling noise. Jungkook’s eyes widen and he shakes his head, gesturing to the spider who was getting closer. Seokjin holds out a finger, telling him to just wait a bit longer. The guard walks back slowly, still looking around. Just when he was about to turn around, a small yelp could be heard. 

 

Yet, in this night was as loud and clear as the gongs during ceremonies. Seokjin covers Jungkook’s mouth with his hand. The spider was now crawling up the poor prince’s leg. As the guard came even closer to the bush they were behind, the spider continued up Jungkook’s leg. 

 

Seokjin could feel Jungkook trembling against him. Seokjin could also tell that the guard was going to peek over this bush once he was close enough. 

 

Thinking fast, Seokjin scoops the strange spider up in his hand, almost giving Jungkook a heart attack before throwing it over the bush to where the guard was. He stills his shaking hand, waiting to see if his plan worked.

 

Seokjin sighs in relief when the guard screams before running away. He leans against Jungkook who was still frozen in place. “I didn’t take you as one to be frightened by a bug,” Seokjin says, suppressing his laughter as he recalls the fear in Jungkook’s eyes. 

 

Jungkook sits up, flustered, “I’m not afraid of bugs. It’s just that that spider had so many eyes. Small and closely spaced together.” He shakes his head as if to shake away the unwanted memory, “It was unsettling.” Seokjin can’t help it as a giggle slips from his lips. “B-but I don’t fear anything else. Throw me a bear, snake, or ghost and I won’t even flinch,” Jungkook says, trying to protect his pride. He snaps his fingers, “Even a tiger won’t kill me.”

 

“If you say so,” Seokjin teases with a smile, getting up. He checks to see if the guard is still around. “Speaking of tigers,” Seokjin says lowly, still looking around for any people. “Did you get a physician to check your back?” Seokjin asks, looking down at Jungkook. 

 

“Yes. He said it should be fine. It may not even scar,” Jungkook answers. Seokjin feels relieved at that. Upon seeing that the coast is clear, he’s about to leave when Jungkook grabs his hand, stopping him. 

 

“What is it?” Seokjin asks, looking down at Jungkook who is still on the ground. 

 

“I figured out my wish that you have to grant,” Jungkook tells him smugly. 

 

With how Jungkook’s acting, Seokjin feels uneasy. “And?”

 

“I wish to visit your palace,” Jungkook tells him with a small smile. 

 

Seokjin was not smiling. “No,” he outright declines. The light in Jungkook’s eyes flicker. “Anything but that,” Seokjin says. He can’t risk more people seeing him and Jungkook together.

 

“Why not?” Jungkook asks, the smile gone from his face. “You’ve visited my palace multiple times. Yet, you won’t let me visit your palace even once.”

 

Seokjin pulls his hand out from Jungkook’s grip, contemplating. He doesn’t want to let Hyeon see Jungkook. She’ll ask a lot of questions. Also, what if someone comes visit Seokjin when Jungkook’s also visiting? 

 

However, Seokjin did make a deal with Jungkook. “Tomorrow after sunset, you may come.” Jungkook beams. “Only for a short visit, however,” Seokjin tells him strictly. He hopes nothing happens. 

 

~~~~

 

“What’s this, Your Royal Highness?” 

 

Seokjin gets out of his daze. Since last night, he’s been fretting over Jungkook coming over. He can’t use the main entrance or else everyone will see him. Seokjin forgot to tell him that. He has to enter using one of the side entrances then. Seokjin has also found a way to make all of his servants leave him alone to keep them from seeing Jungkook. Telling them that he’ll be meditating and wishes to be left alone.

 

Seokjin’s eyes widen at Hyeon holding his arm, eyes on the drawing Jungkook drew on him. He pulls his hand away, dropping it in the water. The oils in the water help hide it from Hyeon who frowns. “Your Royal Highness, you know you shouldn’t paint your own body.”

 

“I know,” Seokjin says. 

 

“Here, let me scrub it off,” Hyeon reaches for his arm. 

 

“No, don’t,” Seokjin holds his arm away from Hyeon, scooting to the edge of the bathtub. 

 

Hyeon is taken aback by his action and so is Seokjin. It’s just a mere painting on his arm and it shouldn’t be there in the first place so why does he care so much? Hyeon smiles, “Okay, I won’t scrub it off. Can I see it?”

 

Seokjin’s hesitant but he’s sure Hyeon won’t go against her words. He scoots back to her and shows her the art on his arm. “Wow!” she exclaims. “I didn’t know you were this artistic.” Hyeon’s eyes widen at her words, “Not that you aren’t. I just never seen you draw or paint.” 

 

Seokjin laughs, “No, you’re correct. I’m not artistic.” He looks at the painting on his forearm. “Someone drew it for me,” he lets out. 

 

Hyeon tilts her head, “Who?”

 

“Just someone,” Seokjin says, staring at the art. Jungkook drew a koi fish. Though with no color, only white, it’s beautiful. Seokjin doesn’t notice it as a smile settles on his lips. “What do you think it means, Hyeon?” Seokjin asks. He’s not quite sure why Jungkook decided to draw a koi fish. 

 

“I don’t know much but since it’s white, I’d say it's representing a transformation and/or growth.” Hyeon points at the fish, “And you see how it’s swimming down your arm.” Seokjin nods. “I’d say it’s saying that right now, you’re deciding what it is that you want in life. You have something in your heart right now but you’re not quite sure if it’s right to have it.” 

 

Seokjin’s silent for a bit, taking in Hyeon’s words. “Something in my heart?” he whispers to himself. Hyeon smiles, nodding. He chuckles, “I’m not so sure about that. It sounds cliche.” He looks back at the koi fish. “But thank you for telling me, Hyeon. I didn’t know you knew so much about koi fishes.”

 

Hyeon smiles wider, chattering away. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin stands up, leaving the pavilion. He scans the area, searching for Jungkook. No sign of him yet. Seokjin walks back to the pavilion. ‘What if he changed his mind? What if he forgot?’ Seokjin thinks to himself. Somehow these thoughts are familiar with another prince.

 

Seokjin presses his lips together, looking at the table in the pavilion which has mounds of food on it. All that he cooked himself. The sun is no more and the dark blanket has already appeared in the sky. ‘Maybe he did forget?’ Seokjin thinks, a little down. 

 

He shakes his head. It’s not like he even wanted Jungkook to come in the first place. At least, that’s what he tells himself as he’s about to clear the table. Yet, he hears rustling. 

 

Seokjin turns towards the noise, staring at a bush. He moves closer to it, “Jeon?” Instead of Jungkook, a little squirrel scurries out of the bush. Seokjin’s shoulders slump. He turns back to the pavilion. 

 

“Hi,” Jungkook says, smiling with his bunny teeth as the highlight. Seokjin jumps, shocked by his sudden appearance. Jungkook laughs, “I didn’t mean to scare you. Sorry.” 

 

Seokjin walks around him, going to the table of food. Jungkook follows him, sitting across from him. “Were you busy with something?” Seokjin asks, trying his best to sound neutral. 

 

“No,” Jungkook answers. He leans his face in his hand, staring at Seokjin. “Were you afraid I wasn’t going to come?”

 

Seokjin’s eyes trail away, “No, I just didn’t want to wait for someone who won’t show up.” 

 

“Well, I showed up,” Jungkook says. “Not exactly at sunset but a little after it.” 

 

“A little?” Seokjin repeats. It’s well past sunset by now. 

 

Jungkook scratches the back of his head, “Well, I guess by a lot. I just thought you would be more comfortable if I came later so the chances of me being seen are less. But I made you wait. Sorry, Jin.” Seokjin looks down at the table, pouring himself a cup of water. “I’ll make it up to you. I’ll grant any wish you have,” Jungkook tells him softly. 

 

Seokjin chuckles, “That’s not very creative. I’m already doing the same thing to you.” 

 

“Well, reciprocation is good,” Jungkook reasons. “Ask me for anything and I’ll give it to you.”

 

“I don’t need anything,” Seokjin says, taking a sip of his water. “I’m perfectly content with what I have.” 

 

Jungkook’s silent for a bit, making Seokjin think that he’s dropping the subject. “Let me take you to the beach someday,” Jungkook starts. Seokjin’s eyes widen. “You don’t have beaches back home. I’m assuming you’ve never been to a beach before, have you?”

 

Seokjin shakes his head, “I haven’t.” When he first came here, he was so excited to visit the beaches but he just sort of forgot about it. Last night, before the guard came, he was about to ask Jungkook about taking him to one but lost the guts to do it.

 

“Then, it’s settled. I’ll take you before winter starts,” Jungkook says. Seokjin smiles, his eyes meeting Jungkook’s. Jungkook’s doe eyes blink then a smile also appears on his lips. 

 

Seokjin looks away, feeling awkward at the eye contact. “Did you eat dinner yet?” he asks. 

 

“Yes, but I’ll eat it again since you cooked for me,” Jungkook says, picking up a pair of chopsticks. 

 

Seokjin’s taken by surprise at his words. “W-what? If you already ate, then you don’t need to and I never said I cooked this,” Seokjin gestures to the food.

 

“You cooked for me before. Do you think I’ll not recognize your food?” Jungkook takes a bite, munching it while nodding his head. Once done swallowing, “After tasting it, I know for sure it’s yours, Jin.” 

 

Seokjin ignores the slight joy he feels knowing Jungkook recognizes his cooking and enjoys it. 

 

~~~~

 

“You should head back now. It’s late,” Seokjin tells Jungkook. 

 

“But you didn’t even show me around yet,” Jungkook says.

 

“How can I without having my servants see you?” Seokjin asks. Well, less of asking but more of telling.

 

Jungkook nods, understanding. “Then can you play your gayageum for me?” Seokjin’s about to reject his idea. He doesn’t want to make a lot of noise this late into the night. Not to mention, it feels odd to play for someone other than Prince Taehyung. 

 

Yet, with Jungkook watching him like that, “Only one song, though.” 

 

“That’s fine,” Jungkook says, eyes bright. 

 

Seokjin goes to his room to get the instrument. He hasn’t touched it for a while. Seokjin picks it up, staring at it than at his reflection in the mirror. He’s just going to play one song for Jungkook. Just one for Jungkook who is his friend. 

 

He goes back to the pavilion where Jungkook is waiting. He seems to be occupied with something in his hands but puts it away upon seeing Seokjin. “What kind of song do you want to hear?” Seokjin asks as he sits down across from him. 

 

 “Your favorite,” Jungkook replies. 

 

“My favorite?” Seokjin asks. No one ever told him to play his favorite song before. “But I’m playing for you.” 

 

“And?” Jungkook tilts his head. 

 

Seokjin doesn’t say anything else, looking down at the gayageum. He’s not quite sure what song is his favorite. He lets his fingers lead the way, playing a sweet mellow song. His eyes are trained solely on his fingers, watching as they move fluidly along the strings. 

 

The melody makes him forget everything else, just plucking the strings. This is one of the pieces that he never finished. As Seokjin plays, his mind starts to wander. Not only focusing on the instrument and its sounds but the one audience member. 

 

Seokjin doesn’t dare to peer at Jungkook, knowing that he’s looking. Instead, he just thinks about him, eyes on the gayageum. 

 

He feels comfortable around Jungkook. He’s the only person in this kingdom that he feels he can truly be himself. Not to mention, Jungkook takes him out of the palace, letting him experience so many things. Thus, why Seokjin likes to be his companion. They’re friends. 

 

Yet, why is it that at times Seokjin can’t meet Jungkook’s eyes? Seokjin’s eyes trail to his sleeve. Just beneath lays Jungkook’s koi fish that Seokjin still has on him. Any normal person would’ve scrubbed it off by now but Seokjin found himself not wanting a part of it to go at all. Saddened when he saw that some of the paint was already chipping off. 

 

Seokjin stops playing, reaching the unfinished part of the song. “Why’d you stop?” Jungkook questions, noticing the awkward finish to the melody.

 

“I haven’t come up with the rest of it yet,” Seokjin tells him. He stands up, “It’s quite late now. You should head back and get some rest.” He doesn’t look at Jungkook as he gets out of the pavilion. 

 

“Jin.” Seokjin stops walking. “Thank you for letting me come visit you. I enjoyed eating your food and hearing you play the gayageum.” He stops for a bit as if to find the right words. “The sight here is…beautiful.” Then softly, “Goodnight, Jin.” 

 

Seokjin could hear Jungkook’s footsteps get farther away until it was like he was never here. ‘Beautiful?’ Seokjin wonders, turning to look at his pavilion and garden. Sure it’s nice but isn’t it just like all the other palaces’ pavilions and garden?  Jungkook has one just like it himself.

 

Something catches Seokjin’s eyes. He goes back to the table where he and Jungkook were sitting. He stares for a moment, not sure of what he’s feeling. 

 

On the table is a piece of paper. Next to it, what seems to be a little pendant. Seokjin picks up the piece of paper. Staring back at him was a man dressed in plain clothes, clothes for commoners. He has his head slightly turned. His hair is a soft black, eyes serene and bright, and a small smile on his pink plump lips. 

 

Seokjin turns the paper over to see small handwriting. 

 

‘I don’t usually draw people but you came to mind when I took out my paintbrush. Of course, I can’t capture all of you in this painting. Will you keep it anyway? For you and I both.   - Jeon’

 

Seokjin’s face is flushed as he stares at the him that Jungkook drew so perfectly. His chest feels weird. It’s the thought of knowing that Jungkook must’ve studied his every feature to draw this. 

 

He picks up the other item which consist of two pendants. On a gold disc is Seokjin’s flower, the Rumex. The other is Jungkook’s tiger lily. 

 

Seokjin takes the drawing and the charm with him to his room, chest warm as he gets ready for bed. Before closing his eyes, he takes one more look at the drawing which looks more like a reflection than just a painting. 

 

He holds the pendants in the moonlight, watching how it twinkles. “Goodnight,” he whispers, looking at the tiger lily.

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin raises his arms, letting the tailor measure him. He hums the melody he played for Jungkook last night. “You’re in a good mood, Your Royal Highness,” one of the servants comment. 

 

Sure Seokjin’s day is not bad but is it so noticeable that the servants sense it? “What makes you say so?” Seokjin asks, stopping his humming. 

 

“You slept in today,” one notes. 

 

“You sat in the pavilion all morning strumming your gayageum,” another says. 

 

“You’ve been humming since you got here,” the tailor notices. “Not to mention, the smile you have.” 

 

Seokjin blushes at their comments. “I had a good night's sleep. That’s all…” He drops his arms as the tailor finishes measuring him. 

 

“I’ll get your outfits done before the forthcoming celebration, Your Royal Highness,” the tailor tells Seokjin. 

 

“Thank you, Head Tailor Bae,” Seokjin thanks politely before leaving. His servants following him out of the Head Tailor’s place. They walk in the palace halls, quietly heading back to Seokjin’s palace. 

 

Seokjin spots a familiar face as they reach the main courtyard. Walking on the other side is Jungkook. Immediately, warmth spreads across his cheeks as he recalls last night. 

 

Seokjin keeps staring as they walk. Jungkook doesn’t seem to notice him at first, still looking forward as he walks. Seokjin wants to say something but he’s not sure what to do. 

 

As if feeling Seokjin’s eyes on him, Jungkook turns his head. Their eyes meet and Seokjin feels like a criminal caught red-handed, for now, Jungkook must know that he’s been doing nothing but staring at him. 

 

The corner of Jungkook’s mouth lifts a little and he slows his steps. Seokjin does the same. They don’t exchange words, only shy glances. 

 

“Your Highness,” a voice calls, making Jungkook look away from Seokjin. “Have you just finished your studies?” the newcomer, one of Jungkook’s servants asks. 

 

“Yes, just now,” Jungkook answers, attention now on the servant. 

 

“I’m surprised, Your Highness,” the servant starts. “You never attend your studies so willingly nor stay until the very last minute of it.” 

 

“What are you trying to say here, Han?” Jungkook asks sternly, yet his face shows that he doesn’t mean it. 

 

Han laughs, “Nothing, Your Highness. Just wondering what got into Prince Jungkook to make him follow his duties.” 

 

“Since I want to start playing the hulusi again, I’ve been staying longer so to practice it,” Jungkook tells Han who nods. He glances at Seokjin, “There’s someone I want to play for.” 

 

Seokjin feels that feeling again. He glances away from Jungkook, pink coloring his cheeks. “Oh, for your mother, right?” Han guesses. 

 

Seokjin turns back to Jungkook, anticipating his answer. Jungkook notices him watching again. “Of course,” Jungkook answers as to which Seokjin feels the light and fluttering feeling fly away.

 

To think that Seokjin knew who he was talking about. He feels embarrassed and foolish now. 

 

“But I think there’s someone else who wants to hear me too,” Jungkook says, smiling at Seokjin softly. Seokjin can’t help it as a tiny and content smile adorns his face. He and his servants reach a corner. The corner they turn on. 

 

Jungkook still has that smile directed at Seokjin. Seokjin takes one more look at him, too long, before turning the corner. His servants follow behind him, oblivious to the the interaction between Seokjin and Jungkook.