Chapter Fourteen

For The Reason That

Seokjin steals a glance at Jungkook who’s busy watching the King. It’s been a week, going on two since Seokjin last spoke with him. He first told himself it’s ridiculous thinking that Jungkook is avoiding him. However, he doesn’t find it so ridiculous anymore. Jungkook is definitely avoiding him. 

 

Seokjin looks away. ‘Did I do something wrong? Say something offensive,’ he wonders. He’s sure he didn’t. 

 

“Prince Seokjin,” Prince Taehyung calls. Seokjin’s pulled out of his thoughts. 

 

“Yes, Your Royal Highness,” he smiles as he turns towards the crown prince.

 

“Would you like to join me for dinner tomorrow night with the ambassador?” asks Prince Taehyung. 

 

Seokjin has his head full and having dinner with an ambassador from overseas is not going to help. “I-“

 

“Would love to,” Hyeon finishes for him. 

 

Seokjin whips his head to Hyeon, narrowing his eyes at her. She tilts her head, not understanding Seokjin’s reaction. “Is something the matter?” Prince Taehyung looks between the two.

 

“No,” Seokjin turns back to him. “I’m just not sure if I’ll be very helpful accompanying you,” he makes a lame excuse. 

 

Prince Taehyung chuckles lowly. “Helpful? It’s dinner. You don’t need to do anything that requires much work.” He picks up Seokjin’s hand. “Just be there,” he says with a soft smile. 

 

Seokjin feigns a smile, agreeing to go. Prince Taehyung drops his hand, attention returning to the King’s speech. 

 

Seokjin’s eyes return to Jungkook who’s staring at him and Prince Taehyung. His expression is stoic like how it’s been since today. Yet, his eyes reflect another emotion. 

 

Seokjin wants to say something but with the distance between them, can he say something? Jungkook goes back to paying attention to the King’s speech, leaving a speechless Seokjin.

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin bows one last time to Prince Taehyung and the ambassador before stepping out of the Main Palace. He covers his mouth as he yawns, walking back to the Palace of Rumex. 

 

Originally, he did not want to attend dinner with Prince Taehyung and the ambassador. It was nice though. The ambassador came from a faraway land so it was interesting to learn about their customs and traditions. It also made Seokjin stopped thinking about a certain someone.

 

Seokjin’s steps come to a halt as a door opens and stepping out is Jungkook. He closes the door after him then looks up, meeting Seokjin. No one else is around. Just them two. 

 

Though, avoiding Seokjin these past weeks, Seokjin’s relieved to see that Jungkook seems well. He doesn’t have any dark circles and seems to be physically fine. 

 

Seokjin parts his lips to speak but before any words leave his mouth, Jungkook walks past him. Seokjin squeezes his eyes shut as a cold breeze passes him. The snow that has been peacefully falling flies into Seokjin’s face, leaving him cold. Jungkook’s footsteps echo down the hall. 

 

Seokjin turns around just as Jungkook rounds the corner, vanishing into the cold air. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin breathes into the air, white vapor floating into the sky. He shivers, pulling his coat closer if possible. He’s been looking for Jungkook for well over an hour now but has had no luck in finding him. 

 

Seokjin kicks at the snow, feeling frustrated. “Gather round, ladies, and gentlemen for we to tell a tale of two forbidden lovers,” he hears a woman announces. 

 

Cold and needing warmth, Seokjin follows her voice. He enters a restaurant that is set up to be a mini theater for the play. People seat themselves while chattering excitedly. Seokjin scans the place for an empty seat. 

 

He gasps as he spots an empty seat in the front, next to Jungkook. “Please sit down. The show is starting,” the woman on stage tells the audience. Seokjin doesn’t need to be told twice, walking as fast as his two feet can carry him to Jungkook. 

 

He seats himself just as the lights dim. Jungkook doesn’t notice him, busy whispering to his friend sitting on the opposite side of him. “Je-“ Seokjin’s interrupted as loud music plays and the curtains are raised.

 

The woman starts narrating but Seokjin can’t focus on the stage, staring at Jungkook’s side profile. Jungkook’s eyes are straight ahead, engaged in the story being told. Seokjin’s eyes trail his sharp jawline then the small scar on his cheek. He wonders how he got it. Jungkook in the inside of his cheek, making a dimple appear. 

 

Seokjin watches as Jungkook blinks, lashes casting a small shadow under his eyes. “The angel did not realize it as his eyes trailed the beautiful human, immersed in his beauty.”

 

Seokjin sits up, feeling as if he was caught red-handed. He turns to the stage, trying to pay attention to the play. The play is both interesting and entertaining so it isn’t long until Seokjin’s engrossed in the story. It’s quite humorous and Seokjin finds himself laughing quietly from time to time. 

 

“We can’t be together,” the angel, Chanhee, speaks crestfallenly, facing away from the prince.

 

“Why not?” the prince, Younghoon, questions, face twisted in anguish. He walks up to the angel, embracing him from behind. “We’re meant to be,” he whispers, burying his face into Chanhee’s shoulder. 

 

Chanhee blinks and a tear escapes his eye. He hurriedly wipes it away, turning to face Younghoon. “We can’t,” he croaks, staring up into the prince’s eyes. He caresses Younghoon’s face. “You’re to be king in a month. If people find out about me, you won’t be able to become emperor.” 

 

“I don’t care about that stupid crown,” Younghoon leans into Chanhee’s hand. “I just care about my angel.”

 

Chanhee shakes his head, tears spilling. “Younghoon,” he says through his tears. “Do you remember the night we met?” Younghoon wipes his tears, nodding. “You said that you felt like we’ve met before,” Chanhee recalls. 

 

“I did,” Younghoon puts his hand on top of Chanhee’s that is still holding his cheek. “Not only did you struck me with your ethereal beauty. You also brought a sense of familiarity.” 

 

“That’s because we have met before,” Chanhee whispers. “Many times. We’ve crossed each other every lifetime. Yet,” his voice cracks. “We never get a happily ever after.” Younghoon’s lips part and his eyes widen. “We’re star-crossed.” 

 

Younghoon pulls Chanhee into his chest as the words ring in his ears. Chanhee’s shoulders are shaking as he cries harder. Younghoon leans his head on top of Chanhee’s, a quiet tear escaping his strong-willed heart. 

 

The lights dim as the narrator speaks, “Remembering each and every heartbroken ending of their lives, the angel decided to do what was best.” The curtains open and while the prince is sleeping soundly, Chanhee kisses him on the forehead before leaving and descending into the heavens. 

 

“Younghoon became king and lived a long, long life, unlike his previous lives. However, his heart was always longing for the sweet angel who he never saw again. Yet, as he let death take him, he knew that he’ll meet Chanhee again. Though, of course, their next lives won’t be much different from the pain and suffering felt in this lifetime.” 

 

The curtains close and everyone applauds. The actors come out and bow as the applause continues. ‘Star-crossed. That’s only in fairytales,’ Seokjin thinks. “Jin?” He turns to the side, remembering why he came here in the first place. 

 

He stares at Jungkook for a long minute, his tongue dry. Jungkook also stares back, brows drawn together. “What are you doing here?” he looks around at the leaving audience. 

 

“I,” Seokjin’s voice comes out meek. In a louder voice, “I wanted to see you.” 

 

Jungkook’s brows ease back, no longer pinching together. He’s standing while Seokjin’s still seated. He looks down at Seokjin, “You saw me.” With that, he turns around, heading for the door like the others. 

 

“J-Jeon,” Seokjin hurries after him. He squeezes through the crowd of people, doing his best not to lose Jungkook. They reach the outside where people start to disperse, making it easier to get to Jungkook. “I want to talk to you!” he calls as the distance between him and Jungkook grows. 

 

Jungkook continues walking fast, ignoring Seokjin. Seokjin sighs, stopping as Jungkook gets farther away from him. His eyes watching Jungkook’s head get smaller and smaller trail down to the ground, defeated. But just before they reach the ground, they reach Jungkook’s wrist. 

 

Around his wrist is red silk. “My headband,” Seokjin realizes. The headband he gave Jungkook. If he was mad at Seokjin, he wouldn’t still be wearing it, would he? Seokjin’s hand reaches for his head, touching the hairpin Jungkook gave him. 

 

He’s conflicted and he’s not sure why he cares so much about Jungkook ignoring him. But he knows that he doesn’t want them to be this way. Especially, if they’re both still holding on to the other’s gift. 

 

Seokjin starts walking again, still keeping Jungkook in sight. Then, his feet break out into a sprint as the vision of Jungkook starts to get blocked by other people.

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin has been wandering around after losing sight of Jungkook. He managed to keep up with him until he turned the corner right into a busy aisle. Seokjin doesn’t recognize the aisle as Jungkook never brought him here before. 

 

He pouts as he comes out of another shop, no sighting of Jungkook. Parched, Seokjin enters a tavern in search of a drink. “Just water please,” he orders as he sits on one of the stools. 

 

He takes in the new place with his eyes as he waits for his cup of water. There’s a fireplace being tended and bringing warmth which is greatly appreciated for Seokjin has been out in the cold for too long. 

 

When his eyes reach the other end of the bar, his mouth parts, aghast at seeing Jungkook downing alcohol like there’s no tomorrow. In no time, he’s by Jungkook’s side. “What are you doing?” Seokjin asks, concern prominent. 

 

Jungkook’s eyes are barely opened, “Drinking.” His head rolls over to Seokjin. “You got a problem with that?” he glares, slurring. 

 

Seokjin chews at his bottom lip, before deciding to sit next to Jungkook. He waves his hand in front of Jungkook’s eyes, testing how drunk he is. Jungkook blinks lazily at him before bringing another cup of soju to his lips. 

 

“Jungkook, it’s me, Jin,” Seokjin says, as Jungkook pours himself another drink. “Let’s go back. It’s late and people are probably wondering where we are.”

 

Jungkook scoffs, “People are wondering where you are. Not me.” He gulps down another cup of soju. 

 

“What?” Seokjin knows that Jungkook is not always in the minds of the people back at the palace but they do still care for him. “Don’t say that. You’re their prince. Of course, they’d wonder where you are. Now, let’s go before you get drunker.” 

 

Seokjin reaches for Jungkook’s arm but Jungkook pulls away from him. “I don’t want to,” he objects, voice still slurring a bit. 

 

“Let’s get some food first to sober you up,” Seokjin says as he tries to help Jungkook up again. 

 

Jungkook grunts in disapproval as Seokjin pulls at his arm. “No, I don’t want to.” 

 

“Jungkook,” Seokjin sighs, standing up. The exhaustion of chasing and searching for Jungkook all day is starting to set in. “Let’s just go back now.” 

 

“No!” Jungkook raises his voice, making Seokjin flinch. As if realizing what he just did, Jungkook’s shoulders slump. He tilts the cup in his hand back and forth, watching the liquid swish. “Just,” his voice is low and meek now, no longer slurring. “Go back without me.”

 

Seokjin looks at the door then back at Jungkook who takes another drink. He sits back down, watching as Jungkook keeps throwing soju down his throat. His face creases with worry as Jungkook continues doing so. 

 

‘What is it that’s bothering him this much? What’s getting him so worked up that he thinks the only way to solve the problem is to drink it away?’ Seokjin frets as he tries to figure out what’s causing Jungkook to be this way. 

 

As Jungkook raises his hundredth cup to his lips, Seokjin grabs the cup out of his hand. Jungkook turns to him, clicking his tongue. “Give it to me,” he demands. 

 

“No,” Seokjin says, gazing into Jungkook’s eyes which don’t seem as far-away anymore. ‘Is he sobering up right now? He has been drinking slower and less,’ Seokjin notices as he looks into the only half-full cup. 

 

“Someone has to drink it or it’ll go to waste,” Jungkook says as he reaches for the cup. 

 

Without another thought, Seokjin drinks the soju. The last time he drunk alcohol was back in his hometown for his birthday. The soju tastes disgusting and burns as it travels down Seokjin’s throat. He almost retches at it. 

 

“There,” he sets the empty cup down on the counter. Jungkook grabs the bottle of soju but before he can pour it, Seokjin snatches it out of his hand. He puts it as far away as possible from Jungkook. He expects Jungkook to get angry but he doesn’t.

 

Instead, his eyes linger on the wooden counter. “You’re really not leaving without me, huh?” Jungkook glances at him. 

 

Seokjin nods, lips pressed in determination. 

 

~~~~

 

“Careful,” Seokjin says as Jungkook almost loses his footing. Jungkook nods, fighting his droopy eyelids. He has an arm around Seokjin’s shoulder as they stagger back to the palace. Seokjin quickly places an arm around Jungkook’s waist as he almost trips again. 

 

“I really miss the carriage right now,” Seokjin pants as he continues to drag Jungkook. Jungkook doesn’t respond, his head hitting Seokjin’s as his eyes close. “Ow,” Seokjin cries, waking Jungkook up. 

 

“What..” Jungkook mumbles, breath fanning Seokjin’s cheek. 

 

Seokjin flaps his hand at the stink of alcohol. “I can’t have you dozing off here. I’m already struggling to help you walk with you half-awake. How am I supposed to carry you back with you asleep?” 

 

Jungkook yawns, “Sorry. I’ll try to stay awake.” 

 

They continue and to his words, Jungkook stays awake. He doesn’t lean all of his weight on Seokjin anymore. 

 

“Wait,” Jungkook breathes out. “I,” he breathes out heavily, wrinkling his forehead. 

 

“You what?” Seokjin asks, frantic as Jungkook’s face twists in agony. Jungkook shakes his head before he goes running off the path and into the forest. This makes Seokjin worry even more and he runs in after Jungkook. 

 

When he reaches Jungkook, Jungkook is bent over, vomiting into a poor bush. Seokjin winces as Jungkook continues throwing up. He finally finishes and turns to Seokjin. He looks miserable and burnt out. “Are you okay?” Seokjin asks as Jungkook walks over to him in a zigzag line. 

 

He nods but almost tumbles over. Fortunately, Seokjin was close by enough to support him before he hit the forest floor. “I think you need to rest for a bit,” Seokjin says, lowering him into a sitting position. 

 

Jungkook’s head falls onto Seokjin’s shoulder, and he leans his whole weight on him. Seokjin doesn’t have the heart to tell him not to do so, feeling sympathetic for him. He does his best to hold Jungkook up, wrapping a securing arm around Jungkook’s waist. 

 

He peeks down at Jungkook who’s quiet. To Seokjin’s surprise, he isn’t sleeping. Just quietly staring at the sky which is showing a crescent moon. Seokjin takes the end of his sleeve and wipes some of the left-over vomit on Jungkook’s chin off. 

 

“Next time you drink, think about this experience,” Seokjin says with a light tone as he retreats his now puke-stained sleeve. He chuckles as Jungkook’s bottom lip sticks out in a pout. 

 

Jungkook burps and Seokjin’s nose wrinkles at the smell but he laughs as Jungkook groans painfully. “I’ll make you hangover soup for breakfast tomorrow,” Seokjin tells him. “Hopefully, it’ll help.”

 

“You can’t make it as soon as we get back to the palace?” Jungkook asks solemnly. 

 

Seokjin smiles, “Do you want me to?” Jungkook nods but immediately stops when he feels his head start to hurt. “We can start walking again when you feel better,” Seokjin tells him, despite the snow under them which was starting to seep into their clothes. 

 

“Then we’re going to be here for a while,” Jungkook mumbles, causing Seokjin to smile again, not used to seeing Jungkook with such despair. 

 

As Seokjin waits for Jungkook to feel better, his eyelids start to feel heavy. As he blinks, his eyes stay closed longer and longer. Just as Seokjin was about to fall asleep, “Okay, I’m good. Let’s go.” 

 

Jungkook lifts his head off of Seokjin’s shoulder, turning to Seokjin and noticing his attempt to fight off sleep. “Actually, we don’t need to go yet,” Jungkook takes back. He scoots closer to Seokjin like how they were before. “You can sleep for a bit.” 

 

“Wha..what?” Seokjin blinks tiredly for sleep was already coming for him. “We should head back as soon as possible.” 

 

“Does it matter anymore?” Jungkook nods at the night sky. “We’re going to return late whether we leave now or later.” 

 

Seokjin’s too exhausted to protest, letting his eyelids fall. Gently, Jungkook rests Seokjin’s head on his shoulder. Seokjin adjusts his head on Jungkook’s shoulder, now allowing sleep to come to him. 

 

For some reason, Seokjin can no longer find sleep anywhere near. Jungkook must’ve noticed for he suggests, “Want me to sing you a song?” 

 

That’s right. Seokjin once asked Jungkook to sing for him. “That would be nice,” Seokjin annunciates softly, looking forward to hearing the prince sing. His eyes are still closed as Jungkook begins to sing. 

 

“That faint voice of yours that grazed me

Please call my name one more time

I’m standing still under the frozen light, but

I will walk towards you, step by step

Still with you” 

 

Seokjin’s eyes flutter open, Jungkook’s voice flowing through his ears. 

 

“We laugh together, we cry together

These simple feelings were everything I had” 

 

Seokjin looks up at Jungkook who’s looking down at him as he sings. 

 

“When will it be?

If I see you again

I will look into your eyes 

And say, ‘I missed you’

 

In a rapturous memory

The rain pours even when I dance alone

By the time this mist clears

I’ll run with my feet wet

So hug me then”

 

Jungkook finishes singing and Seokjin stares awestruck. “Your voice,” Seokjin sends him a smile. “Is soothing and euphonious. Sweeter than any singer’s voice I ever heard,” he praises.

 

Jungkook blushes, the corners of his mouth lifting. He ruffles Seokjin’s hair, “Now, you.” 

 

“I told you already,” Seokjin pats down his hair that Jungkook messed up. “I don’t sing.” 

 

Jungkook smiles, “Then, I will wait until you want to sing for me.” 

 

Seokjin’s befuddled by his words that won’t accept the fact that Seokjin “doesn’t” sing. With sleeping no longer on the memo, they start walking back to the palace.

 

~~~~

 

“Why are you up so early?” Hyeon yawns as she walks into the kitchen. 

 

Seokjin sprinkles some salt into the pot, “I wanted to cook.” 

 

“But this early?” Hyeon yawns again. “You came back so late last night. Aren’t you tired?” 

 

Seokjin scoops some of the soup with the ladle, bringing it to his mouth, “Not really.” He takes a sip of the soup before deciding to add more salt. He continues, letting the soup boil as he proceeds to get more ingredients. 

 

Seokjin hums as he adds more seasoning. If you haven’t noticed, he’s in a good mood. He feels like he and Jungkook are close again. He’s not sure why Jungkook distanced himself in the first place but that doesn’t matter anymore. The important thing is that Jungkook is talking to him again.

 

Seokjin pours some of the soup into a bowl, handing it to Hyeon. “Will you please taste this? Tell me if it’s too salty and should I add more vegetables? Rice with it would be good, right?” Seokjin rambles as Hyeon takes a sip.

 

Hyeon smacks her lips together, nodding, “It tastes perfect, Your Royal Highness.” 

 

Seokjin grins and takes the pot off of the stove. He puts the lid over it. “I’ll be gone for just a moment. No need to make breakfast. I already ate,” he informs Hyeon as he takes the pot with him and heads out the kitchen. 

 

“But Your Royal Highness-“ the door closes after Seokjin and he hurries to the Palace of Tiger Lily. Since it’s still so early, Seokjin doesn’t bother taking the long way that he usually takes to avoid being seen. 

 

Out of breath and not being able to withstand the heat coming off of the pot, Seokjin sets the pot down on a bench, taking a breather. Immediately, the winter air welcomes him. 

 

When ready to go, Seokjin picks up the pot which is cooling due to the cold air around them. “Prince Seokjin,” he hears someone call from behind him. Seokjin recognizes the voice. 

 

He turns around and bows, “Good morning, Your Royal Highness.” 

 

Prince Taehyung’s steps echo in the empty hall as he proceeds towards Seokjin. “Good morning to you as well,” Prince Taehyung greets as his back straighten. He arches a brow at the pot in Seokjin’s hand. “What do you have there?” 

 

Seokjin’s hands around the pot lower, “Soup.” 

 

Prince Taehyung inhales, letting the soup’s aroma be known to him. He smiles, “It smells delicious. Who did you make it for?” 

 

Seokjin smiles weakly as he says, “For you.” He didn’t know what else to say. 

 

Prince Taehyung continues smiling, “Ah, thank you. Shall we eat at the main palace with the King and Queen?” 

 

~~~~ 

 

Seokjin sits back in the chair, shoulders slumping in relief. Finally, he finished making the soup. After breakfast with Prince Taehyung, the King, and the Queen, the soup’s existence was no more. 

 

So Seokjin had to hurry back and remake the soup for Jungkook. It took forever though and by the time he finished, it was already lunch. ‘So much for Jungkook having this for breakfast,’ Seokjin thinks to himself as he lids the pot.

 

Not making the same mistake he did this morning, Seokjin takes the long way to Jungkook’s palace, avoiding people. He reaches the Palace of Tiger Lily with his arms about to give out. 

 

He doesn’t wait for a servant to come to his aid, walking right into the familiar palace. He beams as he spots Jungkook opening the doors to a room. “Jungkook!” he calls. Jungkook turns around and Seokjin smiles with his teeth showing. 

 

Jungkook’s eyes flicker but Seokjin doesn’t notice it, holding up the pot to show him. Jungkook stays rooted in place so Seokjin waddles over with the soup. “True to my words, I made soup for your hangover,” Seokjin says, handing him the pot.

 

Jungkook doesn’t take it, eyes scanning behind Seokjin. “What are you doing here?” Jungkook questions, eyes glazing over him. 

 

Seokjin his head, confused as to why Jungkook’s acting so cold. “I made you soup like I said I would yester-“

 

“I don’t need it anymore,” Jungkook turns his back to Seokjin. 

 

Seokjin’s bottom lip protrudes as Jungkook opens the door. He thought he and Jungkook were on good terms again. Why is Jungkook acting like this? 

 

Jungkook takes a step into the room, still with his back turned to Seokjin. “You can leave,” he says as Seokjin’s still standing in the same spot with the pot in his hands. 

 

“Jungkook…” Seokjin speaks, dejected. 

 

“Don’t,” Jungkook says harshly. He turns around, taking a glance at Seokjin before looking away. “Don’t come to see me again.” With that, he shuts the doors in Seokjin’s face. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin buries his face in his knees. “Why are you so confusing?” he asks, pouting. “I don’t even know what I did wrong. Can’t you at least tell me why you don’t want to see me anymore?” Seokjin speaks to himself. 

 

He picks up the two pendants that Jungkook gave him, twirling the one of the Tiger Lily. Seokjin has no idea what to do anymore. Jungkook sounded serious when he told him away. 

 

But Seokjin can’t just leave Jungkook alone. What if something really is bad? What if instead of being in solitude, having someone by his side would help? 

 

Seokjin bites his lip. He hopes Jungkook’s okay. He clenches both of the pendants in his hands. ‘I’ll just go check on him. Make sure he’s okay,’ Seokjin tells himself as he sneaks out of his palace. 

 

Snow is falling and Seokjin regrets not bringing his coat with him but he doesn’t turn back. It’s dark by now. Seokjin spent the whole day wondering what to do. Worried about Jungkook’s wellbeing. 

 

He stops in his steps as he hears the tune of a familiar instrument. Seokjin follows the sound of the hulusi into the Palace of Tiger Lily. He finally meets the owner of the instrument at the back gate. The gate that he and Jungkook always take when going to the marketplace.

 

Seokjin’s eyes trail up the tall wall, remembering when he fell and Jungkook caught him. His eyes reach the top where Jungkook is. He’s sitting on top of the wall, legs hanging over to the outside. 

 

Seokjin watches as the snow fall around Jungkook, listening to the music of the hulusi. It sounds conflicted. He winces as Jungkook plays a wrong note, the sound screeching and in agony. Jungkook groans, raising his arm as if to throw the flute but then lowering it. He sets it off to the side, running a hand through his hair.

 

Seokjin doesn’t know how to approach him. Jungkook’s last words to him aren’t very supportive. Shakily, “Jungkook.” Immediately, Seokjin scolds himself for sounding so meek. 

 

Despite the volume of it, Jungkook hears him. He turns around and upon seeing that it’s Seokjin, doesn’t blink. Seokjin can’t quite put his finger on the emotion in Jungkook’s eyes. A mix of anger, sadness, longing, and pain.

 

Jungkook looks away, sitting on top of the wall for another minute before going over to the rope hanging off. He climbs down it and Seokjin drags his frozen feet over to him. Before Seokjin could speak, “I told you to not come to see me again.” 

 

“I…” Words are hard to come when Jungkook’s hard eyes are piercing into his. “I wanted to come to check on you,” Seokjin manages to get out. “Is something,” Seokjin looks past Jungkook’s cold eyes, searching for the familiar eyes he knows. “Wrong?” 

 

The ice in Jungkook’s eyes melts a little. Seokjin takes a step closer to him. “You can tell me,” he gently speaks. He repeats the words he said when Lady Yeona passed away, “I’m here for you, Jungkook.” 

 

Jungkook’s jaw clenches and he turns away. Seokjin’s taken back by the reaction. “Do I need to repeat myself?” Jungkook grits. “Don’t come to see me again.”

 

Seokjin’s lips fall into a thin line, brows pinching together. “Why?” he asks, sounding as lost as he feels. 

 

“Because I’m telling you to,” Jungkook says sternly, still not facing Seokjin and now walking back towards the wall. 

 

Seokjin shakes his head, feeling very confused. “Why are you pushing me away?” he asks, eyes wavering. Jungkook stops walking. Seokjin could feel the pendants in his hands. “I apologize if I did something that made you upset but please,” Seokjin takes in a breath, the cold getting to him. “Please don’t treat me like this.” 

 

Jungkook turns around in one swift move, “You want to know why I keep pushing you away?” He walks towards Seokjin. “Because,” His eyes reflect distress as he looks Seokjin straight in the eyes. “I don’t want you around anymore. I don’t want to see you anymore. I don’t want to talk to you anymore.”

 

Seokjin parts his lips, wanting to say something. Jungkook runs a hand through his hair, messing it up even more. “In fact, I hate when you’re with me.” Seokjin’s eyes widen. “I hate how you look at me. I hate how you smile at me with that face of yours,” he spits out. “I hate hearing your laugh.” Quieter and eyes no longer meeting Seokjin’s, “I hate you, Seokjin.”

 

Seokjin staggers back, feeling pain that he never felt before. He bites his bottom lip to still it from trembling. ‘I hate you, Seokjin,’ Jungkook’s words ring in his ears, piercing his heart.

 

‘The only person who saw me. The only person who listened to my voice. The only person who took my hand. The only person who I thought would stick by my side no matter what. The only person who makes me happy,’ Seokjin thinks as tears spilled from his eyes. ‘hates me.’ 

 

Seokjin wipes his tears, “If you hate me that much then I won’t bother you anymore.” He picks up Jungkook’s hand, placing the two pendants in his palm. His fingers linger, not wanting to let the pendants go. Not wanting to let him go. 

 

Seokjin pulls his hand back and turns around. He starts walking back, trudging through the snow. He hates it when his eyes start to water again. The snow continues to fall calmly.

 

Seokjin squeezes his eyes shut, trying to block out the memories of him and Jungkook but they still break through. 

 

The night Jungkook first brought him out of the palace and they rode a canoe, sharing a wish. During the hunting trip where they got separated and were chased by a tiger and Seokjin had said, “I’m not leaving you.” When bandits attacked the village and Jungkook had repeated the same words, “I’m not leaving you.”  

 

Seokjin presses his lips together as a tear rolls down his face. 

 

The time Jungkook had drawn a koi fish on his arm. The night they hid from a guard and a spider crawled up Jungkook’s leg. The night they danced together. Their whole day at the beach. 

 

‘Has it all become nothing to you?’ Seokjin rubs harshly at his eyes, frustrated at his tears. 

 

“My hairpin.” The snow settles around Seokjin. He could hear Jungkook’s steps in the snow nearing. “You’re still wearing it.” 

 

Seokjin’s lip quivers and he tells himself it’s because of the cold. Not because he has come to adorn the hairpin so much that he’s hurt from Jungkook wanting it back. Seokjin pulls the hairpin out of his hair, taking a glimpse at the jade flower which is as white as the snow and brighter than the moon.

 

He wills himself to turn around, looking everywhere but at Jungkook. “Here,” the words barely leave his lips. He holds the hairpin out to Jungkook, doing his best to still his shaking hand. 

 

Before Seokjin could comprehend what’s happening, Jungkook grabs his outreached hand, pulling him in. Seokjin’s eyes widen with tears sitting on his lashes as Jungkook connects their lips.