Chapter Two

For The Reason That

Seokjin cast his eyes downwards, playing with his duvet. "Prince Taehyung...carried me here?" he asks hesitantly after Hyeon finishes telling him what happened. 

 

She nods enthusiastically, "He set you down on your bed and demanded I go fetch the physician. He was so worried. When I came back with the physician, he was sitting by the bed holding your hand like this." To demonstrate, Hyeon grabs Seokjin's hand, clutching it with both of her hands. 

 

A pretty pink dust Seokjin's cheeks as delight roamed his heart. "Really?" he asks shyly, holding back a smile. 

 

Hyeon smiles widely, "I never knew His Royal Highness could be such a romantic." 

 

This time Seokjin can't help it as a smile grace his lips. 'I never knew either,' he thinks. 

 

As Hyeon leaves the room to bring Seokjin breakfast, Seokjin's reminded of why he fainted. The nobles' rude remarks float back to him. 'He's not as handsome as they praise him to be. His personality's bland as well. I can't believe His Royal Highness got married to him.'

 

Seokjin's somewhat used to people's rudeness and impoliteness, growing up with so many people judging him. However, these comments hurt more than Seokjin wishes they would. He doesn't want to be deemed unfit for Prince Taehyung. 

 

A knock resounds on Seokjin's door. "Come in," he calls out. The door opens and a breakfast tray peeks in first before the head of the carrier. Seokjin bows his head. It is second nature by now. 

 

"You don't have to bow to me. You're unwell," the crown prince tells him as he brings the breakfast tray to Seokjin. 

 

"I'm not terribly sick," Seokjin says. "Besides, no matter what condition I'm in, I'm to always respect you." 

 

Prince Taehyung doesn't say anything, making Seokjin worry he said something wrong. But then he breaks into a polite and gentle smile, "Aren't you older than me? Shouldn't I be the one respecting you?" 

 

Seokjin blushes. He knows that age doesn't matter but sometimes, he'd wish he were younger than Prince Taehyung. Not three years older. Prince Taehyung must feel strange taking care of someone older than him that is not his parents. 

 

Seokjin brushes the thought off as Prince Taehyung start showing him his breakfast, telling him to take lots of rest, to not overwork himself, take his medicine, and get a lot of sleep. 

 

After Seokjin finishes his breakfast, Prince Taehyung bids him goodbye and takes his leave. 

 

~~~~

 

"Your Royal Highness! Your Royal Highness!" 

 

Seokjin groans as he hears Hyeon's loud whispering. He sits up, his eyes still closed. "What is it, Hyeon?" he grumbles. If his parents were here right now, he'd get scolded.

 

"Something's going on at the Main Palace!" Hyeon says loudly, causing Seokjin to wince a little. Seokjin opens his eyes, seeing that no sunlight has been shed yet. 'How early is it?'

 

Seokjin yawns, holding a hand in front of his mouth. Hyeon is nice company but sometimes she's too outgoing for Seokjin. "Hyeon," Seokjin intercepts. "Is it even morning yet?" 

 

Hyeon nods, "I was passed out just like you since the sun's not even out yet but then I heard a lot of footsteps. Seemingly, Her Majesty since her palace isn't far from yours. When I looked outside, I saw that the other palaces had their lanterns lit." 

 

Seokjin gets up, going over to his window. He opens it, looking across at the Palace of Calycanthus. The lanterns are lit. As if reading his mind, Hyeon says, "I saw His Royal Highness head for the Main Palace as well." 

 

Seokjin presses his lips together. 'What is so important that everyone got up early in the morning to attend it? Maybe it was just a small family matter. But to get up in the middle of the night?' Seokjin can't help but feel a little down that he's kept in the dark. 

 

Seokjin closes the window, solemnly. He ignores Hyeon's pout as he gets back under the duvet. If it has nothing to do with him, he shouldn't interfere. That's what he learned growing up. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin smiles as he sees his reflection. Today, he's wearing a light yellow which makes him radiate gentleness and calmness. His fingers trail over the small yellow flower hairpin in his hair, hesitating if he should take it off. 

 

Prince Taehyung just came back from a trip. Seokjin can't help but think maybe he got him a gift. What if it's a hairpin? Maybe he thinks Seokjin likes hairpins since whenever visiting Seokjin, Seokjin makes sure to wear a hairpin. 

 

Seokjin blushes at his assumption. It could be something other than a hairpin. Maybe a new set of clothing? Maybe a set of books? 

 

Seokjin feels giddy thinking about what gift Prince Taehyung got him. Remembering the time, he leaves the room, not wanting to keep the crown prince waiting. Before he does so, he takes off his hairpin. Just in case. 

 

When Seokjin arrives at his pavilion, Prince Taehyung has not arrived yet. He settles himself at the table stationed there. The servants start bringing the food Seokjin cook earlier. 

 

As Seokjin waits, he becomes more curious about what it could be that Prince Taehyung bought him. 

 

Prince Taehyung arrives and greets Seokjin with a small yet bright smile. Seokjin's grown accustomed to the butterflies that visit him whenever Prince Taehyung does. 

 

They converse a bit before eating with Seokjin asking questions as to how his trip went. Prince Taehyung tells him, not giving many details to Seokjin's dismay. Seokjin understands though, he just came back. He's probably exhausted and wants to think about other matters. 

 

The whole time they spend eating their meal, Seokjin sneaks glances at Prince Taehyung, searching for bulks in his silky robes. Hints of a gift could not be detected which makes Seokjin conclude that it must be a small item. 

 

They finish their meal and Seokjin eagerly stares at Prince Taehyung for his gift. Prince Taehyung tilts his head, "You seem rather ecstatic today, Prince Seokjin." 

 

Seokjin lowers his eyes, feeling a little shameful. As royalty, one shall not act immature and childish. One shall act mature. Yet, here Seokjin was. Acting like a pup waiting for a treat. Even worse than an unknowledgeable child. 

 

"It's nice to have your presence again, Your Royal Highness," Seokjin articulates slowly. Prince Taehyung chuckles and Seokjin feels the upturning of the corners of his lips. 

 

"If you don't mind, would you play your gayageum for me? I miss hearing the pleasant sounds it emits," asks Prince Taehyung ever so kindly. Seokjin agrees right away, asking Hyeon to bring his gayageum out. 

 

He ends up playing five pieces for the crown prince. Two of which he learned while Prince Taehyung was away. The other three being his personal favorites. 

 

"It amazes me at how one could be so musically talented," Prince Taehyung compliments him as he finishes. 

 

Seokjin smiles, "I'm glad you enjoyed it." He praises himself silently for all those nights he stayed up, practicing the new songs to perfection. His fingers were so sore but he pushed through the pain for Prince Taehyung. 

 

A servant comes to Prince Taehyung's side, whispering something in his ear. Prince Taehyung nods and turns to Seokjin. His eyes feign apologetic as he tells Seokjin, "I'm called for the court officials meeting. I apologize for leaving so soon." 

 

Seokjin shakes his head, smiling to console the prince. "I understand. I have stolen quite a bit of your day already." 

 

Prince Taehyung gives him one last smile before leaving the Palace of Rumex and Seokjin feels his heart beating happily as he watches the prince go. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin frowns as he finds himself looking at the Palace of Calycanthus once again. 'Prince Taehyung is the crown prince. The royal successor to the throne. He doesn't have free time to frolic with you,' he scolds himself. 

 

Seokjin shakes away the small sadness residing in him. He has not seen the prince for well over a week now. But it makes perfect sense. He's busy with crown prince duties. Seokjin returns to reading his book. As soon as he's free, he's sure to pay the Palace of Rumex a visit. 

 

It takes another four days until Prince Taehyung grace the Palace of Rumex with his presence. To Seokjin's surprise, he didn't look as exhausted as he had imagined. He looked rather jubilant.

 

He only came for tea with Seokjin before excusing himself. Seokjin felt himself slump a bit at the short time they spent together but doesn't think much of it. Prince Taehyung's happy. He doesn't know why and with what but that's none of his business. 

 

What is his business though is to keep the crown prince on a ball of sunshine. So for the next week, Seokjin puts himself in charge of making Prince Taehyung's meals. He'd have his servants bring the food over to the crown prince's palace. 

 

He doesn't want to attend the Palace of Calycanthus until he's invited to. Though technically speaking, he could waltz right in since he is married to Prince Taehyung. But Seokjin wants to be invited by the prince himself first.

 

Another week pass with Seokjin cooking Prince Taehyung's meals yet not seeing him at all. 

 

One morning he gets called to have breakfast at the Main Palace. Seokjin dresses in a pink hanbok that he just had made for him. He pins a new hairpin he just received to his hair. He has to look his best for he has not seen Prince Taehyung in so long. 

 

Seokjin rushes to the Main palace, wanting to already see Prince Taehyung. It's no surprise when he's the first to arrive. He feels a little embarrassed when he sees that the servants hadn't even set the table yet. 

 

Waiting alone isn't long as someone shows up not long after Seokjin. Recognizing the newcomer, Seokjin bows. "Good morning, Your Majesty." 

 

"Good morning to you too, Prince Seokjin," Lady Yeona greets back with a warm smile. "I didn't know there was another early bird in this palace," she says with a joking yet still elegant tone. 

 

Seokjin chuckles softly. "I didn't steal your role, did I?" he jokes back. 

 

Lady Yeona giggles quietly behind her hand. Seokjin smile's widens. Although, he hasn't interacted with Lady Yeona much. He feels like they'll get along just fine. 

 

For half an hour, it's just Seokjin and Lady Yeona. Seokjin doesn't realize the time slipping by as he finds himself immersed and enjoying his conversation with Lady Yeona.

 

Later, the rest of the invitees join them. First being the King, then the Queen, and lastly Prince Taehyung. Like the other time, Jungkook doesn't join them. 

 

Unlike the other time, the Queen doesn't throw a rude remark at Lady Yeona. No one addresses the empty chair at the table. 

 

After breakfast, Seokjin plans to continue his talk with Lady Yeona at her palace, the Palace of Chrysanthemum. Yet, as he's about to follow Lady Yeona, Prince Taehyung comes to his side.

 

"May I walk you back, Prince Seokjin?" the crown prince asks, tone smooth and casual. A smile forms on Seokjin's lips, lighting his whole face. They didn't converse during breakfast with the King leading the conversation. Seokjin thought he was going to have to wait until another time to talk to Prince Taehyung. 

 

Seokjin agrees right away, and together they head to his palace. 

 

"Isn't the weather nice around this time?" Prince Taehyung, asks smiling as the sun kisses his face. 

 

"It is." Seokjin smiles, seeing how ethereal Prince Taehyung looks in the sun. He looks down, eyes falling on the lilies along the pathway. "The lilies think just like you." 

 

Prince Taehyung looks down at the lilies, smiling at the big blooming flowers. He walks over to them, with Seokjin following. He bends down, a hand reaching out to pick one. "Stop," Seokjin says urgently. 

 

Prince Taehyung turns to him, raising a brow. Seokjin flushes a bit at the expression but dismisses it, bending down to the same level as the crown prince. He turns to the flower in Prince Taehyung's grasp, about to get stolen from its home. 

 

He ignores his beating heart as he holds the crown prince's hand, pulling it away from the flower. "Lilies are summer flowers. They only bloom in the summer. Summer has just begun so if you pick it now, it'll die," he says voice so soft, you could mistake him for whispering. 

 

He looks away from the lily and at Prince Taehyung whose eyes are on him. Seokjin feels a blush on his cheeks as he makes eye contact with the crown prince. "Wouldn't you want to see lilies for the whole summer?" 

 

Nothing could prepare Seokjin for the next thing that comes. 

 

Prince Taehyung leans forward, closing his eyes, before pressing his lips to Seokjin's cheek. 

 

~~~~

 

The notes of the gayageum echoes throughout the Palace of Rumex. An upbeat and melodic tune follows after Seokjin's fingers. For three days now, Seokjin couldn't stop playing the gayageum. 

 

He feels so delightful, untroubled, buoyant, elated, and love. Prince Taehyung kissed him! On the cheek out in the open! Prince Taehyung, his husband. Seokjin sighs dreamily as he sets the gayageum down. 

 

He floats over to the window, pushing it open. Seokjin's smile widens as he looks across at the Palace of Calycanthus. Prince Taehyung's palace. He puts his elbow on the windowsill, resting his chin in his hand. 

 

Soon, he'll be able to go over there. He'll be able to be at Prince Taehyung's side whenever. Seokjin blushes. He might even be a regular at the Palace of Calycanthus. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin was, to say the least, confused. It has been nine days since he last saw Prince Taehyung. That last time being when the crown prince kissed him on the cheek. 

 

He finds himself looking out his windowsill for the majority of the day, in hopes of catching sight of Prince Taehyung. He never does.

 

Seokjin sighs as he turns away from his window. Maybe he should visit the Palace of Calycanthus, even though he wanted to wait until Prince Taehyung personally invites him. 

 

It's perfectly fine and normal if he goes over. Both partners should push the cart in a relationship. He can't just sit and wait for Prince Taehyung to do it. He has to do it as well. 

 

Seokjin calls Hyeon in to help him change into a different outfit. Then, he goes over to his vanity. Hyeon combs his hair as he decides whether he'd want to wear any kind of jewelry or not. 

 

When he's finally ready, rain starts to pour. Seokjin huffs, feeling the humidity from the rain. He's determined to see Prince Taehyung but with the weather, he decides to wait until tomorrow. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin's humming the new piece he just learned on the gayageum as he walks to the Palace of Calycanthus. Well, it's not exactly a new piece. He made it up while thinking about Prince Taehyung. 

 

Once it's perfected to the last note, then he'll play it for him. 

 

Seokjin stops in his steps, earning a raised brow from Hyeon. He turns around, "You brought the rice cakes I made with you, right?" Those rice cakes were a pain to make. 

 

Leaving them steaming for just one second longer than needed will ruin them completely. Seokjin stayed up all night trying his best to make edible ones. He then chose the best ones for Prince Taehyung. 

 

He never made Prince Taehyung rice cakes before because he doesn't know how to but he's heard that the crown prince always eats them during festivals. 

 

Hyeon's eyes widen, "I'm so sorry. I forgot." 

 

Seokjin reassures her with a small smile, "It's fine. Let's turn back and get them." 

 

Hyeon shakes her head, "You go on ahead. We're practically at the Palace of Calycanthus' doorsteps." Seokjin presses his lips together, hesitating. "Also, I know how much you miss His Royal Highness. I don't want to keep you waiting." 

 

Seokjin smiles shyly at her assumption which isn't wrong. "Thank you, Hyeon. Make haste, okay?" Hyeon nods enthusiastically before hurrying back to the Palace of Rumex. 

 

Seokjin takes in a deep breath before continuing forward. He does his best to calm his heartbeat, raises his head high, squares his shoulders. He's nervous but also excited. 

 

He wonders how Prince Taehyung will react upon seeing him. He most likely will be surprised, seeing Seokjin come to his palace for the first time. But then he'll smile that handsome smile of his and welcome Seokjin in, telling him he could visit anytime he wants to. 

 

Seokjin sees the doors to the Palace of Calycanthus now. It looks unreal up close. So different from the view Seokjin gets from his window.

 

As Seokjin's admiring the palace, the palace doors open. Taken by surprise, Seokjin jumps behind a large tree. Out, comes two women holding plain clothes in their hands. Seokjin's never seen those clothes on Prince Taehyung.

 

The two women were talking to each other. Seokjin leans against the tree, listening in unintentionally. 

 

"Who was that?" one asks. 

 

The other replies, "I've seen him around the palace before. He came in a couple of weeks ago to be a seamster." 

 

"A seamster? I wonder why he caught His Royal Highness's attention." 

 

"Because of his looks," the other says in a hushed voice. "I've never seen a commoner who looks that handsome. He's just as handsome as Prince Seokjin." 

 

"I guess. See but, His Royal Highness already has Prince Seokjin. Why does he want a lowly commoner?" 

 

"Who knows? I almost feel bad for Prince Seokjin. A lowly commoner got to visit His Royal Highness's bedchamber before him." The two servants walk further away, their voices drowning out. 

 

Seokjin leans against the tree, eyes wide. Gone was the nervousness and excitement. In its place were pain and heartbreak. 

 

 

**************************

 

 

Seokjin wipes his tears, half-hoping to wipe away the memories he just remembered to no avail. The last time he saw Prince Taehyung was when he kissed Seokjin on the cheek. 

 

Yet, so much time has passed since then. 

 

Seokjin brings his knees up to his face, burying his face in them. Words spread faster than anything. Everyone in the Imperial Palace by now knows that the crown prince got himself a royal consort. 

 

Seokjin hasn't gone out of the Palace of Rumex since that one day he found out. He's too ashamed. When did it go wrong? What did he do wrong? Why did Prince Taehyung find someone else to love? Does Prince Taehyung not love him? 

 

Seokjin sobs. Is he too boring? Is he not handsome enough? What does he do? How can he fix it? Seokjin cries for the rest of the night. He never knew he was capable of crying so much. 

 

The next morning, Seokjin wakes up early. He looks at his reflection seeing the puffy eyes right away. Hopefully, they'll go away as the day continues. Shakily, Seokjin gets up. He was sitting all day yesterday, just crying and crying. Crying, that's all he's been doing these past days. 

 

Hyeon is nowhere to be seen. Probably still sleeping. Seokjin doesn't bother to wake her, heading straight for the well. He goes back and forth, carrying buckets of water to his bathhouse. His hands start hurting, not used to the labor but Seokjin ignores it. 

 

"Your Royal Highness!" 

 

Hyeon rushes to his side, yanking the bucket of water out of his hands. "What are you doing? I was so worried when I didn't see you in your room," Hyeon says, forehead creasing with worry. 

 

"I just wanted to take a bath.." Seokjin says. He looks down, not wanting Hyeon to see his puffy eyes even though she probably did. "I didn't want to bother you." Hyeon shakes her head, telling him about how a prince isn't fit to do this. She wakes up the other servants and they start preparing Seokjin's bath. 

 

Seokjin's sitting in his room again as he waits. Since waking up, he's starting to come back to his senses. He can't believe all he's been doing is crying. Upon coming to his senses, he's starting to redeem himself. He's also starting to accept Prince Taehyung's choices. 

 

Lots of kings and emperors have consorts. It's a practice that's been going on forever. So, it's normal that Prince Taehyung would do the same. 

 

Seokjin thinks back to his parents. He knew his father had consorts but he still loves his mother. So much that Seokjin forgot about the consorts until now. 

 

Prince Taehyung doesn't love him any less. Seokjin doesn't love him any less. He shouldn't waste his time sulking in his room. He should be by Prince Taehyung's side. His husband. 

 

~~~~

 

"I apologize for my sudden appearance." 

 

Seokjin ignores the whirlwind in him, smiling stiffly. "No need to apologize, Your Royal Highness. You may come whenever." Just as he was about to visit him, the crown prince shows up. 

 

Prince Taehyung smiles back, but Seokjin doesn't feel the usual butterflies. "Have you prepared any new pieces for me?" he asks, voice deep and comforting. 

 

Seokjin ignores the monster eating away at his heart. "Not yet," he answers, not able to meet the crown prince's eyes. "May I perhaps play some of your favorites for you today?" This time he raises his face, smiling. 

 

Prince Taehyung came back. Prince Taehyung hasn't left him. He should be grateful for that. "I'd love that," Prince Taehyung answers. 

 

The crown prince doesn't stay long. Seokjin only plays three pieces before he leaves. Seokjin can't help it as he thinks that Prince Taehyung's gone back into the arms of his royal consort. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin smiles as he watches Prince Taehyung devour the rice cakes. Prince Taehyung has been paying him more visits again. "Do you like it?" Seokjin asks after he plops the last one in his mouth. 

 

Prince Taehyung swallows before answering, "I don't just like it. I really like it." Seokjin beams. 

 

After the crown prince leaves, Seokjin opts to make more rice cakes. He plans to send them tomorrow just for fun. A surprise. He hums the song he's been practicing on the gayageum. Prince Taehyung's song. 

 

By the time Seokjin finishes the rice cakes, the sun has started to set. He goes to bed early, not able to wait until the sun comes up. 

 

The next day, Seokjin can't wait until he's to present the rice cakes to Prince Taehyung. He doesn't go in the morning, not wanting to disturb the crown prince's peace. 

 

He waits until noon. Seokjin puts on a light purple hanbok. He even styles his hair a bit differently. Hyeon offers to go with him but he declines. He might end up staying at the Palace of Calycanthus longer than expected and there are still chores to do at his palace. 

 

Alone but confident, Seokjin makes his way to the Palace of Calycanthus. His heart's hammering when he reaches the front steps. The guards recognize him right away, letting him through with no words. Seokjin smiles at the thought they everyone knows they're husbands. 

 

He's told by Prince Taehyung's servants that he's currently in his pavilion. They point Seokjin to where that is. Seokjin thanks them before gliding through the palace. His eyes are wide as he takes in the palace. 

 

Seokjin arrives at the door that leads outside. He steps out, eyes searching for the crown prince. He hears before he sees him. 

 

"I hope you're not getting bored of my palace," Prince Taehyung.

 

"I-I'm not," a voice Seokjin has never heard before. 

 

Seokjin follows the voice, turning the corner before his gaze lands on the two. He turns back quickly, pressing himself against the wall. He doesn't think they saw him. Too occupied with each other. 

 

"Wow," Prince Taehyung breathes out. Seokjin could hear him munching on something. "These are the best rice cakes I've ever eaten!" 

 

Seokjin's eye twitch. 'Rice cakes?' His hand holding the box of heart-poured rice cakes tremble. The other person doesn't say anything, itching Seokjin to turn and look. 

 

He stays rooted in place until "I got you something. We had traders come yesterday." Seokjin could feel his heart clenching. He can't help it as he pokes his head out from the corner. Only enough so his eyes could see. 

 

Seokjin stares wide-eyed as Prince Taehyung opens a long gold box. He feels tears come to his eyes as Prince Taehyung produces a pretty hairpin. "I know it's not much but when I saw it, I thought of you." 

 

A tear escapes from Seokjin's eye as Prince Taehyung pins the hairpin in the Royal Consort's hair. "Thank you, Your Royal Highness," the Royal Consort thanks, bowing his head a little. 

 

Prince Taehyung shakes his head, "Don't. Call me Taehyung. Just Taehyung." Seokjin could hear his heart breaking. Again, his heart's being shattered into a million pieces. 

 

The Royal Consort hesitates before accepting it, "Okay. Thank you, Taehyung." Prince Taehyung beams, smiling a boxy smile that showcases both sets of teeth. He never smiled like that for Seokjin before. 

 

Prince Taehyung pulls the Royal Consort into an embrace, still with a true and vibrant smile. "I love it when you wear purple. It's my favorite color." 

 

Seokjin can't control his tears as he runs out of the Palace of Calycanthus. He never felt this much pain before. He never felt so lonely. He never felt so unloved. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin doesn't cry. He doesn't want his servants to pity him. Instead, he plasters a smile on his face and continues doing the usual. Hyeon asks about the rice cakes. Seokjin lies and says he couldn't see the crown prince's reaction since he wasn't there. He had to just leave it with one of his servants instead. Ouch. 

 

Seokjin says it's for the better if Prince Taehyung doesn't come to visit him at all. Yet, he finds himself more saddened when the crown prince truly doesn't show up. 

 

Seokjin carries on like this for another five days until he can't anymore. "What's your name?" he asks the caramel horse, smoothing its mane. 

 

The stable boy comes over to Seokjin's side, putting on the saddle, "He doesn't have a name yet, Your Royal Highness. He just got here a month ago and no one's claimed him yet." 

 

Seokjin smiles softly at the horse. In a way, the horse is like him, from someplace else. No one's taken him in yet. Seokjin peers into the horse's eyes. "Can I call you Caramel?" he asks for permission. The horse neighs softly. "I'll take that as a yes."

 

In no time, Seokjin's on Caramel trotting along the plain. He only went horseback riding a few times back home so he's not confident to start racing through the wind. He's to not go far to not get lost. 

 

Seokjin eyes the new surroundings, going farther away from the palace. The terrain here is different from the terrain at home. The plants that grow here are mostly foreign to Seokjin. So busy with something else, Seokjin never thought to appreciate these things. 

 

Seokjin enters a forest, led by curiosity. In another situation, he might be afraid of the dark and eerie forest. Yet, with all that's happening, he doesn't feel that. He feels rather calm. Just taking in the scenery. 

 

Seeing that they're pretty deep into the forest now, Seokjin pulls the horse to a stop. He gets off, patting the horse. "Let's stop here for a bit, Caramel." 

 

Caramel agrees, munching on this plant by them. Seokjin looks around. The forest must not be big because he sees an opening. He tries to make out what's on the other side. It seems to be a clearing. Seokjin takes Caramel's rein into his hand, leading him towards the opening.

 

"Woah," he gasps as he sees what seems like an endless field of grass. Seokjin ties Caramel to a tree nearby before entering the field. 

 

He finds a medium-sized tree in the field, settling under it. It provides a shady canopy for Seokjin as he listens to the tranquility around him. Seokjin closes his eyes, the image of Prince Taehyung comes to him. 

 

He opens his eyes, his vision is now blurry. Seokjin sighs as he looks across the vast land. No other creature is spotted. No other human. Only then, does Seokjin let his tears fall. The tears he's been holding back since arriving back to his palace, not wanting anyone to pity him. 

 

Here, there's no one to see him or to pity him. 

 

Seokjin wants to go home until he imagines his parents' faces upon hearing the news that he ran away because Prince Taehyung doesn't love him. He thinks of the people who bid him goodbye. 

 

Seokjin can't return. This is his home now. Whether he wants it to or not. Realizing so, Seokjin cries even more. 

 

Seokjin doesn't know how long he does this. He only stops when he hears movements in the grass. He lifts his head from his hands, eyes still teary. Seokjin immediately wipes away his tears, turning away. 

 

'What is he doing here?' Seokjin panics in his head. Someone saw him crying. Someone saw. 

 

The onlooker doesn't come any closer to Seokjin, turning his back on him and going back to where he came from. 

 

Seokjin's eyes trail after him. 'Why would Prince Jungkook be here?’