Chapter Eleven

For The Reason That

“Jeon,” Seokjins shakes Jungkook’s shoulder. His eyes are closed, his body still and unmoving. “Jungkook,” he tries again, concerned. Seokjin looks around them but there are no people around. Not even guards. 

 

Seokjin looks back at Jungkook who is still unconscious. He puts two fingers to the side of Jungkook’s neck, checking for a pulse. He doesn’t feel anything. ‘Perhaps, I just can’t find it,’ Seokjin thinks, avoiding the other reason. He lowers his head to Jungkook’s chest, listening for a heartbeat. 

 

Just as the heartbeat made itself know, he hears a groan. Seokjin raises his head, “Jungkook?” Jungkook scrunches his face before his eyes open. Seokjin gasp, eyes wide. 

 

Jungkook presses a hand to the back of his head, sitting up. “I think I’m seeing stars,” he says, blinking a couple of times. Noticing Seokjin’s wide eyes, his eyes widen, “Am I in the stars?” 

 

Seokjin lets out the breath he was holding and pulls Jungkook into a hug. He was so scared. He thought something happened to Jungkook. He thought he wouldn’t hear that teasing tone of his anymore. “You’re not dead. You’re still alive,” Seokjin says, so, so relieved. 

 

“Are you hurt anywhere? You must be. That was a great fall,” Seokjin rambles, pulling away from Jungkook whose face is a bit pink. He hopes it wasn’t from falling. Seokjin checks for injuries, worry-filled. 

 

“Nothing hurts. I think it’s because this haystack cushioned it,” Jungkook says, as Seokjin dusts the hay off of him. They were in fact, on top of a haystack. “Are you,” Jungkook wets his lips, “hurt anywhere?” 

 

Seokjin shakes his head, still concerned about Jungkook. “What were you doing?” he scolds. “Why’d you catch me? If this haystack wasn’t here, you would’ve…” Seokjin stops, not wanting to think about it. 

 

Jungkook smiles, wincing a little after it, “Luckily, it is here and you and I are both here.” 

 

Seokjin doesn’t understand how he can be smiling at a time like this. “Yes, but-“ 

 

Jungkook presses a finger to his lips, “Shh. The important thing is that you’re not hurt.” 

 

Seokjin’s eyes flicker down. ‘Why are you always trying to save me?’ he thinks. “Why is this haystack just randomly here?” Seokjin asks, looking around and seeing that it’s the only one here. 

 

“Sometimes, I take Noir out this way. Having it here makes it more convenient,” Jungkook tells him. 

 

“How fortunate,” Seokjin sighs. He glances at Jungkook, “Are you sure you didn’t break a bone or two?”

 

“I’m sure,” Jungkook assures him. “Let’s get down from this thing.” He gets off first with Seokjin eyeing him, still unease. Jungkook dusts his pants as Seokjin follows suit. He steps down, missing the earth’s floor more than anything. 

 

Jungkook walks over to the gate and picks up the rope made with his clothes. Seokjin watches him warily to see if he developed a limp and in case he suddenly faints. As Jungkook’s wrapping the clothes into a little ball, “Stop worrying, would you.” 

 

“How can I not? You cushioned my fall,” Seokjin looks down. “I owe you a lot now.” 

 

Jungkook walks back to where he is. “I’m a strong man. If I were to die, it wouldn’t be because of a small accident like this,” Jungkook tells him. He tilts Seokjin’s chin up. “Besides, you don’t owe me anything. I put myself in the position to catch you.”

 

Seokjin steps back. “Thank you,” he thanks. “For catching me,” he recalls today’s earlier events. “And for making me feel better.” His eyes skip to Jungkook’s hands. “I forgot all about it and had a good time.” 

 

“You’re welcome,” Jungkook replies. Seokjin takes one more glance at Jungkook to make sure he’s not in pain before he’s about to leave. Even after Jungkook looks fine and not in pain, Seokjin’s feet don’t move. 

 

His lips part to speak but he doesn’t have anything else to say. He doesn’t want to part ways yet for some reason. 

 

Jungkook’s hand reaches for the back of his head. He protrudes the hairpin he’s worn all day. Then he pins the hairpin in Seokjin’s hair. “I noticed you don’t wear hairpins often,” Jungkook adjusts the hairpin then moves his hand away.

 

Though light in weight, Seokjin could feel the hairpin for he had gotten used to wearing none. He pushes a strand of hair out from his face. “You-“ Seokjin stops, hearing how his voice is higher. He clears his throat, “You didn’t have to. I have a lot already.” He can’t look Jungkook in the eyes. 

 

“I just don’t wear them,” Seokjin says, the strand of hair getting in his face again. 

 

Jungkook beats Seokjin to it and tucks the hair behind Seokjin’s ear. His touch lingers, “Will you at least wear mine?” Jungkook request, his eyes making contact with Seokjin’s. Seokjin’s probably wrong but it feels like Jungkook’s eyes are smiling even though his lips aren’t. He wonders if his eyes are like that. 

 

“I can,” Seokjin replies tenderly. Jungkook’s eyes twinkle and the smile spreads to his lips. Seokjin feels the corners of his mouth lift at this. Remembering the time, “Visit the physician if you feel pain anywhere, alright.” 

 

“I will,” Jungkook says, pulling his hand back. Seokjin turns around, making his way to the Palace of Rumex. “Sweet dreams, Seokjin,” Jungkook bids, quiet but loud enough for Seokjin to hear. 

 

Seokjin turns his head, “Sweet dreams, Jungkook.” He turns back quickly, not seeing Jungkook’s reaction. His steps are light as he walks to his palace. He feels like he’s floating. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin smiles at his reflection as he combs his hair. It’s been two days since the festival. All two days and now this day, his mind can’t help but drift to a particular someone. 

 

“May I know what’s making His Royal Highness so happy?” Hyeon asks, glad to see the prince jolly. 

 

“I’m in a good mood, that’s all. No particular reason,” Seokjin tells her. He sets the comb down, picking up Jungkook’s hairpin. It’s silver and of a flower. The leaves are a shining silver. Meanwhile, the flower is white jade with gold in the middle to act as the pollen. The designs are detailed, down to the veins on the leaves. It’s beautiful. 

 

Seokjin pins it into his hair. The only jewelry that he has on his person. Today he’s wearing pink. A color he hasn’t worn in what feels like decades. Today he’s going to visit the Queen Consort. 

 

Hyeon takes the peaches he plans to give to Lady Yeona and the two exit the Palace of Rumex. Seokjin’s enjoying the fresh air and gliding through the halls as they leave for the Palace of Chrysanthemum.

 

He wants to visit Lady Yeona for they haven’t spoken in some time. But a small part of him wants to see Jungkook. Seokjin’s just taking an educated guess that Jungkook will be at the Palace of Chrysanthemum. A small part of him hopes Jungkook will be there. 

 

Seokjin arrives at the Palace of Chrysanthemum in no time. The Queen Consort is sitting in her pavilion. Seokjin takes the peaches from Hyeon, proceeding towards the pavilion. 

 

“Good morning, Your Majesty,” Seokjin greets. 

 

Lady Yeona smiles, “Good morning, Prince Seokjin.” She gestures for one of her servants to pull a chair out for Seokjin. “Please, take a seat.” 

 

Seokjin sits down, putting the peaches on the table. “How have you been, Your Majesty? I did not see you at the celebration two days ago.” 

 

She smiles feebly, filling Seokjin’s teacup with tea. “I’m not doing terrible. I’m only taking a long time to recover,” she tells Seokjin, looking on the bright side. 

 

“I hope these peaches help with the recovery,” Seokjin tells her. 

 

“They look delicious, Prince Seokjin!” she exclaims. Her pale face lights up with color as she orders a servant to get some plates and knives. “You didn’t have to bring them,” Lady Yeona says as she cuts one of the peaches. “You’re always bringing me gifts whenever you visit. I’m not a bother, am I?” 

 

Seokjin chuckles lightly, “Of course not, Your Majesty.” He bows his head, “I enjoy your company. I apologize if I visit too much.” He raises his head and Lady Yeona’s expression has changed into one that he doesn’t recognize.

 

Her usual smile comes back, “What an exquisite hairpin you have.” Seokjin smiles, agreeing with her statement. 

 

Seokjin and the Queen Consort continue conversing. Lady Yeona is someone kind and fun to talk to but Seokjin can’t help it as his eyes would glance around the palace from time to time. 

 

“Thank you for visiting me, Prince Seokjin,” the Queen Consort thanks as two hours have passed now. 

 

“It’s my pleasure,” Seokjin smiles kindly. He stands up and bows. When he raises his head, he spots Jungkook whose walking into the palace, towards the pavilion. Jungkook also spots Seokjin and they make brief eye contact. 

 

Seokjin feels delighted in seeing the prince again but it goes away since he’s about to leave. He must be imagining but it seems like Jungkook’s speeding up. Seokjin glances back at Lady Yeona. He should excuse himself now. 

 

“Good morning, Mother,” Jungkook greets a little out of breath. He bows in front of Lady Yeona. Then he turns to Seokjin, an almost unnoticeable smile on his face. “Good morning, Your Royal Highness,” he takes a bow in front of Seokjin. 

 

“Good morning, Your Highness,” Seokjin greets back, also bowing. When he raises his head, he catches Jungkook’s eyes following his hairpin. Seokjin suddenly feels shy about wearing it. 

 

“Have you already eaten breakfast with His Royal Highness?” Jungkook asks the Queen Consort.

 

“No, Prince Seokjin just came for a visit,” Lady Yeona tells Jungkook. “He was just leaving.” If Seokjin isn’t mistaken, Jungkook looks almost disappointed. 

 

“Until next time, Your Majesty,” Seokjin bids. Lady Yeona smiles at him and he walks up to Jungkook. “As to you, Your Highness,” Seokjin says, not letting himself linger. He walks past Jungkook, exiting the pavilion. 

 

“Shall I walk you back, Your Royal Highness?” Jungkook offers, stopping Seokjin. 

 

Seokjin turns his head. He should decline for Jungkook just arrived. The Queen Consort should have some alone time with her son. Still so, “If it isn’t a bother to Her Majesty, I would appreciate that.” Jungkook smiles. 

 

“Of course it’s no bother. You two should catch up,” Lady Yeona beams.

 

~~~~

 

“You look…“ Jungkook bites his bottom lip then releases, “good, Jin.” 

 

Seokjin hides his pleased smile, “It must be because of what I’m wearing.” They continue to walk. “Perhaps the clothes I’m wearing or…” He glances at Jungkook, “the hairpin.” 

 

Jungkook shakes his head, a fond look on his face. “What you’re wearing doesn’t have anything to do with it,” he states. 

 

Seokjin can’t help it as elation paints his face. “What have you been doing these days?” he asks, changing the subject. 

 

“Although they can get quite boring, I’ve been attending all of my studies,” Jungkook says proudly. Seokjin giggles quietly. “I’m also training a lot since I like to be active. I’ve also been practicing the hulusi as much as I can.” He nudges Seokjin’s shoulder. “What about you? What have you been doing recently?” 

 

Seokjin presses his lips together, “Not as many things as you. I’ve been trying more recipes.” 

 

“What about your gayageum?” Jungkook questions. “Are you going to finish the unfinished piece you played for me?” 

 

“It’s getting there…” Seokjin says, uneasily. He hasn’t been able to come up with the rest of the song yet. Jungkook chuckles at this. “It’s harder than you think. It takes a lot of work and time,” Seokjin defends. 

 

Jungkook puts his hands behind his back. “When you’re done, may I listen?” Seokjin nods. “If you ever finish it, that is,” Jungkook jokes. 

 

Seokjin shoves him lightly, “You can’t hear it anymore.” 

 

Jungkook’s brows raise and his shoulder bumps with Seokjin’s, “I was just joking.” He smiles broadly. “Forgive me, please?” 

 

“Hmm,” Seokjin pretends to contemplate. 

 

“Please, Seokjin,” Jungkook tries again, leaning closer to him. 

 

“Alright,” Seokjin gives in. “But only if you also play a song for me on your hulusi. Not the one that you already played for me,” Seokjin informs him. 

 

“Alright,” Jungkook agrees.

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin stretches his hands, feeling the ache in his fingers. He presses his index finger and thumb together, wincing. He’s been plucking his gayageum all day, wanting to finish the song for Jungkook.

 

He’s almost done but he needs to take a break. Informing Hyeon first, Seokjin decides to visit Caramel. 

 

“I’ve been gone for too long. Did you miss me?” Seokjin asks the horse, feeding him. Seokjin ruffles his mane, smiling fondly as Caramel leans into his touch. “Shall we go on a walk?” 

 

After the horse’s lunch, Seokjin gets on him. He takes the horse on their usual path back when Seokjin used to ride the horse a lot. They go through the dense woods before reaching the other side which is the familiar field. 

 

Seokjin gets off, patting Caramel and leading him by the reins. His eyes scan the area for Jungkook. If what Jungkook said is true, then he should be here training. Not that Seokjin wants him to be here.

 

He hears movement in the grass. Seokjin ties Caramel to a tree before following the noises. 

 

Sword in his hand and breathing heavily is Jungkook. Seokjin doesn’t announce his presence, curious as to Jungkook’s skills. He watches as Jungkook swings the sword fluidly. Seokjin can hear the wind get knocked out of the air. Jungkook’s brows are furrowed, eyes set in an icy glare and determination in his eyes. 

 

After a while, Seokjin feels weird for staring, clearing his throat. Jungkook turns to him fast, sword raised, and eyes still harsh. Upon seeing that it’s just Seokjin, the ice in his eyes melts away. 

 

~~~~

 

“What’s got you training so hard?” Seokjin questions as Jungkook gulps down water. 

 

Jungkook wipes his lips, “I feel like I should be more in shape. I also like practicing sword-fighting. It clears my mind.” He takes another sip of water from the gourd that serves as a container. “What brings you out here?”

 

“I haven’t visited this place for some time. Hence, I came to stop by,” Seokjin tells him. 

 

“Not to visit someone?” Jungkook asks with a subtle smirk. 

 

“No,” Seokjin denies straight away. “Meeting you was a coincidence.” Jungkook takes another sip of water, sweat dripping down his forehead. Seokjin glances away and at the sun. “Will you be occupied in two days?” He should be finished with his song by then.

 

“Yes, I will.” Seokjin turns his head to Jungkook. He’s never busy. His royal duties aren’t much either. 

 

“With?” Seokjin asks, curious as to what’s taking Jungkook’s time. 

 

“I’m leaving tomorrow for a trip which will be approximately five days,” Jungkook informs him. 

 

Seokjin’s eyes widen. Five days. Quite a long period for a trip. “Where are you leaving for and to attend what matter?” 

 

“I told the King about the bandits’ harassment at the village you and I were staying at.” Jungkook furrows his brows, recalling the troublesome group. “Though it seemed like you and I scared them off, they probably came back after we left. Not to mention, there are other villages nearby that they could be terrorizing.”

 

Seokjin’s lips set into a thin line. Jungkook is correct. Who knows what has happened since they left. 

 

“Don’t stress too much about it,” Jungkook notices Seokjin’s expression. “Lord Wang, Lord Yoo, and I will leave tomorrow to check on how they’re doing. We’ll go to all the villages in that area,” Jungkook assures him. 

 

Seokjin nods. He has never seen Jungkook like this. Jungkook seems to not give a care about the kingdom and the politics. Always leaving the palace at any chance he gets and not even bothering to show up to important events. “Thank you, Jungkook.” Jungkook raises a brow at him. “For telling the King about the situation over there.” 

 

“Even I forgot about them,” Seokjin admits quietly. Though Jungkook may not be a prince who follows royal etiquettes, does his royal duties, and is obedient, he cares for the people. 

 

Seokjin looks back to all the times they went to the marketplace. Jungkook talks to them so normally and casually. His smile, a hundred times more visible when they’re anywhere but inside the palace walls. 

 

“The villagers would want to see you,” Jungkook says subtly. 

 

Seokjin blinks, not understanding his tone. ‘Does he…’ Seokjin glances at Jungkook whose eyes are blinking back at him. ‘Want me to go with him?’ 

 

Immediately, Seokjin wants to go with him. Visiting the village would be nice. But would it look right if he goes with? People will wonder why he went. Especially with the fact that Prince Taehyung isn’t even going. 

 

“Still so, it’s best if you stay,” Jungkook says before Seokjin can reject as if knowing Seokjin’s answer. Seokjin feels bad but he doesn’t say anything. “What happened to your fingers?” Jungkook questions, picking up his hand and eyeing the red, turning purple fingertips. 

 

Seokjin pulls his hand away, insecure, “I was playing my gayageum.” 

 

Jungkook smiles, “My song, right?”

 

“I never said it was your song…” Seokjin says, his ears turning pink.

 

Jungkook tucks Seokjin’s hair behind his ear, noticing the color of them. “You can play for me when I come back,” Jungkook says softly. “I’ll also play my song for you.” Seokjin’s sure his ears aren’t the only part of him that is pink anymore.

 

Jungkook moves back from Seokjin, turning around and reaching for something in his bag. He takes out a small bottle, twisting it open. From the smell of it, it seems like ointment. 

 

Jungkook holds his palm out. “For your fingertips,” he tells him. Tentatively, Seokjin rests his palm on top of Jungkook’s. He watches as the handsome prince apply the ointment to his fingers, freezing when he realizes he finds Jungkook handsome. 

 

~~~~

 

It’s early in the morning so there are not many people up yet. Seokjin hopes they haven’t left yet. He spots the horses, still getting fed. Seokjin speeds up his steps as he sees Jungkook. 

 

Jungkook’s checking the stuff in the carriage. Seokjin walks up behind him. “It seems like everything’s good to go, Lord Yoo,” he says, back still turned to Seokjin. 

 

Seokjin smiles, “Try again.” Jungkook’s about to turn around but Seokjin places his hands on his shoulders, stopping him. 

 

“I wasn’t expecting you, Jin,” Jungkook says, turning his head back. Seokjin drops his hands as Jungkook fully turns. 

 

“Expect the unexpected,” Seokjin says, holding out a basket. 

 

“You got me a goodbye gift?” Jungkook takes the basket.

 

“It’s not just for you. For Lord Yoo and Lord Wang as well,” Seokjin corrects Jungkook who looks a little disappointed by this. “It’s lunch or breakfast if you all haven’t eaten yet.” 

 

“Thank you,” Jungkook thanks, turning around and putting the basket in the carriage. As he’s doing so, Seokjin takes out the headband he brought with him. It’s a dark silky red headband. It’s simple but Seokjin likes it. Jungkook can wear it more if it can match with a lot of outfits. 

 

He puts it over Jungkook’s head, making Jungkook freeze. Seokjin smiles and ties the headband. “I got you a lucky headband since it can be dangerous,” Seokjin tells him as he finishes tying. 

 

Jungkook turns around once Seokjin’s finished tying it. Seokjin giggles, noticing the awkward hair sticking out of place. He adjusts the headband, brushing Jungkook’s hair out of his eyes. Seokjin smiles, seeing how well the headband matches him. 

 

His smile drops as he makes eye contact with Jungkook who isn’t smiling. ‘Does he not like it?’ Seokjin wonders bummed. ‘I should’ve gotten something more extravagant,’ he regrets. 

 

“Th-thank you, Jin,” Jungkook stutters. His eyes flicker away from Seokjin’s. “You didn’t have to,” pink colors his cheeks. 

 

Seokjin stares, not used to the sight in front of him. He turns his head, noticing Lord Yoo walking towards them. Seokjin looks back at Jungkook who’s still not facing him. “Would you send my greetings to Chief Lai and the village?” 

 

“Mmh,” Jungkook says, glancing back at Seokjin. The pink hue was still on his cheeks but not as prominent. “Will you take care of my mother for me?” 

 

Seokjin nods, “I will.” A servant brings Noir to Jungkook, reminding Seokjin of the time. “Have a safe journey, Jungkook,” Seokjin utters, not used to bidding Jungkook farewell. Before Jungkook can say anything, Lord Yoo walks up to them. 

 

Seokjin doesn’t know why but he doesn’t leave. He watches as the west gate opens and Lord Wang and Lord Yoo take off. Some servants follow after them with the carriage. Jungkook is the last to leave. He turns around, searching for Seokjin in the crowd of servants who came to send them off. 

 

He spots Seokjin and waves. Even though there are many people around, Seokjin raises his hand and waves back. Jungkook smiles, the red band complimenting his features. Seokjin’s eyes follow as Jungkook and Noir exit the palace. 

 

He looks down at his hand which is holding Jungkook’s pendants. ‘Stay safe, Jungkook.’ 

 

~~~~

 

By the second day, Seokjin finishes his song for Jungkook. It sounds better than he expected. Possibly better than all the other songs he composed. The third day is uneventful with Seokjin just staying in the Palace of Rumex. He doesn’t play his gayageum at all that day, wanting to give his fingers a rest.

 

On the fourth day, Seokjin decides to pay the Queen Consort a visit. 

 

When he arrives at the Palace of Chrysanthemum, he heads for the pavilion only to not see Lady Yeona there. A servant who spots him informs him that she has not been feeling well, stuck in bed since yesterday. 

 

Seokjin feels bad now for not bringing something for her. He enters her bedchamber nonetheless. He immediately notices her pale complexion and the physician by her side. 

 

“Your Majesty,” Seokjin makes his presence known, bowing. 

 

Lady Yeona cracks a smile, eyes lighting up, “Ah, Prince Seokjin. What brings you here?”

 

“I thought to bring you some company for His Highness has been absent these past few days.” The physician starts to pack up, handing a small bottle to a servant.

 

“Make sure to take the medicine three times a day. Each before a meal,” the physician informs Lady Yeona who nods. He stands up, bowing to her then to Seokjin before making his exit. 

 

“How have you been feeling, Your Majesty?” Seokjin asks, taking the physician’s seat by her bed. 

 

Lady Yeona sighs, “Truth to be told, not well.” Seokjin’s brows raise in concern. She smiles weakly at Seokjin. “Don’t worry Prince Seokjin. I’m sure this will all soon pass.” 

 

Seokjin’s brought back to Jungkook’s worried face as he told Seokjin to look after the Queen Consort. He wishes Jungkook will hurry back to be by Her Majesty’s side. “Prince Seokjin,” Lady Yeona starts, shaking Seokjin out of his thoughts. 

 

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Seokjin replies with a small smile, contrary to his thoughts. 

 

She takes a long look at him, an emotion on her face that Seokjin can’t put his finger on. She lets out a little breath before, “You and Jungkook are close, aren’t you?” Seokjin does his best to mask his shock at her interrogation.

 

“What makes you say that, Your Majesty?” Seokjin asks politely, still with his small smile. He must be overthinking. 

 

“Your hairpin,” Lady Yeona glances back at his hairpin. The hairpin Jungkook gave him. Seokjin has been wearing it every day since. “Jungkook gave it to you, didn’t he?” 

 

Seokjin’s calm demeanor breaks. His eyes widen and his smile disappears. He parts his lips to speak, only to find words far away. ‘What do I say? What do I do?’ he panics. His eyes stray away from Lady Yeona’s. “Yes,” he tells the truth, brows pinched.

 

Lady Yeona doesn’t say anything for a second. “Jungkook has been in high spirits as the months pass. I was wondering why.” She glances at Seokjin, still with the serenity in her eyes. “I thought it was odd for Jungkook to buy such hairpiece. He’s not the type to care about them. I now know the reason why.”

 

Seokjin’s eyes flicker. “Jungkook and I are great friends,” he says, his lips dry. 

 

Lady Yeona puts her hand on top of Seokjin’s, making him jump. “I don’t know what you and Jungkook are,” she says, ignoring Seokjin’s words. “But I trust you, Prince Seokjin.”

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin strums his gayageum, playing his song for Jungkook. Unlike the other times as he played this song, his heart is heavy. The Queen Consort’s words ring in his ears. He’s not sure what she means. Nor is he sure why he’s feeling like this. 

 

Just as he said, he and Jungkook are friends. Great friends. That’s all. Yet, it seemed like Lady Yeona didn’t take that answer. Why?

 

That night, he sleeps conflicted. The next morning he awakens to Hyeon shaking his arm. Seokjin blinks, his eyes struggling to open. “What is it, Hyeon?” Hyeon doesn’t say anything, her eyes sorrowful. 

 

“Hyeon, wh-why…” Seokjin notices Hyeon who’s dressed in only white. “No…” he stands up, hurrying to the door. 

 

“Your Royal Highness!” Hyeon calls after him. 

 

Seokjin stares in disbelief as he stares at all the servants in his palace. All of them wearing white. 

 

~~~~

 

A tear drips from Seokjin’s eye as he looks at the peaceful Lady Yeona. “What happened?” Seokjin asks the physician. 

 

The physician lowers his head, “She passed in her sleep. By the time her servants realized, it was too late.” Seokjin turns back to the Queen Consort who looks like she’s in a deep sleep. Even in death, her face is still serene and pretty. 

 

The doors open and barging in is the King. His frantic eyes land on Lady Yeona. Tears spring to his eyes. “Everyone, leave,” he orders, voice almost shaking. Everyone files out of the room, head down. 

 

Seokjin looks back, watching as the King picks up Lady Yeona’s hand, shoulders shaking. The doors close, leaving them alone. 

 

Most of the servants and court officials are preparing for the funeral. Seokjin heads to the west gate, some court officials following him. They all wait, head lowered and preparing themselves for what is to come. 

 

Seokjin’s not sure if word already got to him. If it hadn’t, he doesn’t know how they will tell him. 

 

The gates finally open at noon. Seokjin raises his head, feeling tears in his eyes. 

 

Jungkook is the first to enter, rushing in with Noir. Seokjin’s red band is still around his forehead. His eyes are wide and pain-stricken. 

 

The horse hasn’t even come to a full stop before Jungkook is jumping off. “Your Highness,” some of the court officials start but Jungkook ignores them, running to the Palace of Chrysanthemum.