Chapter Eighteen

For The Reason That

"If it weren't for you two, our mother's jewelry would've been long gone," Jiyoung says as she, Jungkook, Hoseok, and Jimin walk back. "We don't have much but perhaps you two may like something at our shop. So, feel free to pick one item," she smiles brightly at them as they arrive at the shop. 

 

"Thank you but no thanks," Jungkook declines politely. "You don't have to give us anything in return." He doesn't want them to think there is a price to be paid for helping them. 

 

"Yeah, we don't need anything," Hoseok also declines, smiling warmly at them. 

 

Jiyoung frowns, "It would be wrong of us not to give a token of thanks to you two. Please, come in." Jungkook and Hoseok share a glance, wondering if they should go or not. "Come on," Jiyoung urges, turning back to them with a friendly smile. They give in, following Jiyoung. Jimin walks behind them, having not said a single word after accusing Jungkook of being a thief. 

 

The shop is filled with all types of clothes and many finished pieces of clothing, set on display. "Is it just you two here?" Hoseok asks as Jungkook examines the shop. 

 

"Yes," Jiyoung answers. "This is a family business which has been going on for..." she counts on her fingers. "Six years!"

 

"Impressive," Jungkook comments, and Jiyoung continues talking. As she converses with Hoseok, Jungkook finds a woman's outfit on display. He touches the intricate designs on the shirt, amazed by it. 

 

"Do you like it?" Jiyoung skips over to him. 

 

Jungkook's hand falls to the fabric of the skirt which is light and pretty in color. "I do. Did you make it?" he turns to Jiyoung. 

 

Jiyoung smiles a pleased smile but shakes her head. "If only I was that talented. Jimin made it." 

 

Jungkook looks around but the lad is nowhere to be seen. Though, not planning to take anything at first, "If I may, may I please take this then?"

 

"Of course," Jiyoung nods enthusiastically and works to get the outfit folded nicely for him. She hands it to him in a bag. He reaches for the money he brought, handing it to Jiyoung. She declines at first, explaining how it's a gift since Jungkook helped them but he doesn't retract the money until she accepts it. 

 

As Jungkook waits for Hoseok to pick something out, he ventures back out to the front. Arriving at the entrance, he notices that it has gotten a lot later. 

 

Jungkook sits down on the steps, starting to feel the ache of his injuries. How should he explain them to his mother? He could just avoid her until they heal. He clicks his tongue, not feeling right about doing that. He's already avoiding all his royal duties. He can't start to avoid his mother too. She'll worry a lot if he does. 

 

His solitude is disturbed when Jimin sits down beside him with something in his hands. "Sorry," he starts, glancing at Jungkook's injuries. "I should've not assumed and accused you so fast," his head lowers. 

 

Jungkook raises a brow, surprised at the change of attitude. "As I said, it's fine. I forgive you. You only did it out of good intentions," Jungkook tells him. 

 

Jimin peers up at him, "You're really not angry at me?" Jungkook shakes his head. He's met a lot of people and been in worse situations. Though only meeting Jimin today, he doesn't seem like a bad person. Jimin tilts his head, "You're not holding a grudge against me?" 

 

"No," Jungkook simply answers but Jimin still looks skeptical. "At the moment, your beating did hurt and I was confused but I wasn't mad at you. Nor am I mad at you now." This is the first time, he's able to take in Jimin's facial features. He's quite good-looking. His monolid eyes fit well with his sharp features. 

 

Jimin presses his lips in a thin line, "You're an odd person." At this, Jungkook laughs. "Really, how could you not once feel mad at me?" Jimin wonders, bottom lip jutting out a bit. "I would be mad if some stranger accused me of a crime I didn't do and just beat me up." 

 

"I'm not one to be mad at such. My anger comes at very reasonable times," Jungkook states proudly. Jimin scoffs under his breath but Jungkook hears it. "You don't believe me?" he asks with wide eyes. 

 

Jimin looks a little flustered at his reaction. "W-well, I just find it hard to believe. That's all," he says quickly, fidgeting with the object in his hands. "Usually, people here..." he scrutinize Jungkook for a moment, "get back at each other."

 

"Get back at each other?" Jungkook repeats the words, understanding it but wondering where Jimin is going with this.

 

"Yeah, like an eye for an eye. A tooth for a tooth," Jimin tells him. "So like if I stole a piece of Jiyoung's meat during a meal, then she has all rights to steal a piece of my meat," he explains. 

 

Jungkook nods, realizing that guilt must still be riding on Jimin's shoulders. Back at the palace, he was told to always forgive. To not continue small matters and make them big for it'll always lead to disasters. That's why he finds it so hypercritical and stupid that kingdoms would still pursue wars. 

 

Playing with Jimin's mindset, Jungkook says, "Then that means I get to beat you up. That way we'll be even." He's joking but the look on Jimin's face makes him not regret it. His eyes widen and his lips part, showing his pearly whites. Jungkook keeps his face serious, holding back his laughter. He blinks at Jimin, waiting for confirmation. 

 

"That would make us even, huh," Jimin says meekly, looking at the ground. Jungkook hides his smile. Then, gathering his courage, Jimin raises his head to meet Jungkook's eyes. "Go ahead. Do your best. I won't hold anything against you," he proceeds calmly. 

 

"Okay, then. Here I go." Jungkook raises a fist, leaning back as if getting ready to swing. Jimin doesn't blink, looking extremely serene. Then, Jungkook swings his fist. Jimin's eyes shut and he winces, head hanging and shoulders hunching with him. Jungkook's fist stops right in front of Jimin's face. He bites his bottom lip to keep his laughter from escaping as Jimin sneaks one eye open. 

 

Jungkook can't help it and bursts into laughter as red blossoms on Jimin's cheeks. "Wow," Jungkook breathes out after his laughter. "Did you really think me to be that much of a scum?" he asks, still with a smile on his lips from Jimin's reaction.

 

"As I said, I wouldn't have fault you for getting back at me," Jimin blubbers. 

 

"I don't need to get back at you. I don't think I ever will get back at someone. Isn't it just better to forgive?" Jungkook says care-freely to Jimin whose expression changes. His embarrassment is gone and a new emotion paints his face as he stares at Jungkook. Jungkook stares back, not knowing what else to do. 

 

Jimin breaks the silence, "Remind me." He turns away. "What's your name?"

 

Jungkook gazes at his side profile. "Jeon," the name slips easily from his lips, being used many times.

 

Jimin nods, "You're not from around here, are you?" He glances back at Jungkook.

 

He would usually lie at this part but instead, he shows a smile, "Is it that obvious?" 

 

"Yes," Jimin replies straight away and Jungkook's eyes visibly widen. He thought that after all these years, he's blended pretty well with the people. At this, the corners of Jimin's lips lifted a little. "I was just taking a guess." Jungkook's eyes linger on the smile in his eyes. 

 

Jimin looks down at his hands, smile fading. "I brought ointment for your injuries." He holds out the bottle of ointment to Jungkook who takes it, making note of how his fingers brush against Jimin's soft ones.

 

~~~~

 

Jungkook leans against the tree, in his inner cheek. 'Your brother's getting married. Don't you want to settle down and start a family?' the King's words ring in his head.

 

He looks down at the dirt. 'I don't,' he wanted to say but didn't, knowing that the King was not asking but demanding he finds someone soon.

 

"Jeon!" Jungkook raises his head, meeting the familiar bright aura. He walks towards him, trying to forget the palace and the people within its walls. 

 

Routinely, Hoseok recounts stories to Jungkook. Talking about his family or informing him on news. "The crown prince's marriage is tomorrow," Hoseok tells him with wide eyes. "Apparently, it's going to be ginormous, grand, and everyone's going to be there."

 

"Except us," Jungkook spreads his arms out. "The people." Though it is their rulers getting married, commoners can never witness the wedding of the royals. The majority of them don't even know how the royal family looks like. Thus, Jungkook is out here undetected.

 

"Yeah, yeah," Hoseok says with a slight pout. "But don't you wish to go? They'll have musicians playing, the rich will all be gathered in their expensive silks, and there will be so much delectable food," Hoseok goes on dreamily. "I bet if you and I dress in the right articles of clothing, we'll fit right in." 

 

"No, we'll stick out like sore thumbs, no matter the clothing," Jungkook says. He wraps an arm around Hoseok's shoulder. "Besides, royal weddings are a bore. They just talk and talk and drink their fancy tea then gossip then talk about politics then drink some alcohol then talk-" 

 

At this Hoseok burst into laughter. "You're right. It does seem boring." 

 

"Absolutely. Jiwoo's wedding was a lot more fun than any of theirs," Jungkook speaks, remembering Hoseok's sister's wedding. 

 

"You speak as if you experienced both kinds of weddings before," Hoseok comments.

 

"I've seen lots of stuff," Jungkook replies nonchalantly. 

 

"Look, it's Jiyoung," Hoseok points out. A few feet in front of them, Jiyoung is struggling to walk as she carries two big boxes in her arms.

 

Jungkook and Hoseok walk over to her and without even greeting her, take the boxes out of her hands. Her eyes widen but upon seeing them smile, "Thank you so much Jeon and Hoseok." 

 

They walk with her to the shop. She talks to them like she's known them forever. Hoseok was also like that when he and Jungkook first met. Jungkook likes that. Even though he never tells Hoseok the whole truth about him, keeping the facts he tells about himself very general and simple, Hoseok never pries. Yet, they're still close.

 

The shop is in sight but Jiyoung stops walking as three men walk out of the shop. "Hey, are you okay?" Hoseok asks. It looks like she saw a ghost. She shakes her head and tears well up in her eyes as she runs towards the shop. Jungkook and Hoseok sprint after her with the boxes still in their hands. 

 

They arrive at the shop, and following Jiyoung's cries, spot her huddled over someone in the corner. "Jiyoung, is everything..." Hoseok's voice trails off as she shifts out of the way, revealing a badly beaten up Jimin. 

 

~~~~

 

"So the three men outside were debt collectors?" Jungkook asks as Jiyoung finishes telling them the trouble she and Jimin are in. 

 

"More like loan sharks," Jimin says with his eyes adverted down as Jiyoung applies ointment to his injuries. Jungkook gazes at Jimin's injuries, concern eating at him. According to Jiyoung, they got into debt when their father was ill, needing the money for his medicine. It took a turn for the worst when he died and there was the funeral to pay for as well.

 

"Anyways," Jiyoung turns to Jungkook and Hoseok. "Thanks for helping me with the boxes. Are you two hungry? Jimin made some rice cakes earlier," she offers, changing the mood.

 

"Ooh," Hoseok beams. "I have been craving some rice cakes." 

 

"Great. Let me go get them," Jiyoung gets up, walking toward the kitchen.

 

"Let me help you," Hoseok follows after her.

 

Jungkook glances at Jimin. "How much?" 

 

"Pardon?" Jimin finally glances at him.

 

"How much money did you and your sister borrow?" he asks, wanting to help them.

 

"It's none of your business," Jimin looks away. 

 

"I want to help-"

 

"We don't want your pity," Jimin cuts him off coldly.

 

Jungkook closes his mouth, stung by his harshness. Jiyoung and Hoseok come back with the rice cakes. Jimin doesn't glance at him for the rest of their time there.

 

~~~~ 

 

Jungkook bows his head as he passes some nobles. He weaves through the aristocrats until he's by his mother's side. He could tell his mother was disappointed about him missing the royal wedding. To make it up for her, he decided to attend tonight's event.

 

"Good evening, Mother," Jungkook greets with a soft smile. 

 

His mother's eyes widen, then she smiles. "My, my son looks so handsome tonight." 

 

Jungkook's smile widens, glad that his mother is pleased with him. Sacrificing a couple of hours for this event was the right decision. 

 

Jungkook occupies his mother's side for most of the event. Jimin occupies his mind for most of the night. Jungkook doesn't like the note they ended off on. "You should go and talk to people your age. Not just stick with me for the whole night." 

 

Jungkook glances around them. "I'd prefer to just stay with you." His mother goes on to list why he should socialize with others.

 

As she does so, he notices the Queen and some of the nobles at her table turn their heads their way. It's like they don't even bother to hide the fact that they're talking about them. They whisper behind their fans, sneaking glances at them. 

 

His mother's voice stops as she also notices this. She simply smiles then bows her head. Only then do they turn away.

 

Jungkook's mood sours as his mother goes on to talk about something else. He excuses himself, walking away from the party. 

 

Since he could remember, his mother has never been accepted by the nobles. The Queen doesn't hide her distaste for him and his mother either. 

 

'You'll always be second to me,' the Queen said flatly but with sharp eyes.

 

Though still only a child then, Jungkook will always remember his mother's face. Sad, downcast, and worst of all, acceptance. Accepting the treatment she was to get for the rest of her life as only the King's Royal Consort.

 

'That goes for your son as well. He should learn his place soon. When they grow up, he must learn not to steal what is Taehyung's.'

 

Jungkook stops walking, eyes closed as the memory fades. When Jungkook opens his eyes, he spots a man with broad shoulders leaning against a wall. On the other side were Lady Ayeong and Lady Doyun.

 

The man's face is twisted in confusion as Lady Ayeong and Lady Doyun talk. It must be about the man, judging from his expression.

 

Jungkook's eyes linger on the man who he does not recognize. He's on the verge of tears as the ladies walk away, chortling. The man squeezes his eyes shut. Hand on his forehead as he shakes his head. 

 

Jungkook turns away, feeling like he invaded on a private moment. However, the pained expression on the stranger's face spots his vision. 'I should just go. It's late,' Jungkook thinks to himself. Yet, he can't help it as he spares another glance at the man.

 

The man staggers forward, seemingly attempting to walk before he's falling. Jungkook runs over to him. Catching him in his arms just in time. He's sitting on the ground with the man in his arms. The man looks up at him. Jungkook stares back. He's certain now that he has never seen this man before. 

 

"Are you hurt somewhere?" Jungkook asks.

 

He shakes his head, "I'm fine." 

 

As he tries to get up, "Prince Seokjin!" Both Jungkook and the man turn towards the owner of the voice. "Are you injured?" Taehyung asks, crouching down. Jungkook looks between the two, putting the pieces together. "Jungkook, what happened?"

 

"I'm not sure. He just fell," Jungkook replies, looking down at Seokjin, Taehyung's husband. Jungkook removes his arms as Taehyung replaces him. Lifting Seokjin and speaking softly to him. 

 

A crowd has started to form but all eyes are on the couple. Jungkook slips away quietly.

 

~~~~

 

"Good morning, Jiyoung," Jungkook greets brightly.

 

"Good morning, Jeon," she smiles. "What brings you here?"

 

Jungkook's eyes wander behind her, "Is Jimin here?" 

 

Following Jiyoung's directions, Jungkook finds his way up the staircase and onto the second floor. The second floor isn't part of the shop but their home. 

 

Jungkook knows Jimin might still be angry at him, thinking that he pities them. He wants to change that. He still wants to help them as well. Though Jimin is the opposite of Jiyoung(friendly, sociable). Jungkook wants to get to know him better. From the first night that they met, he knows that there is a soft side to Jimin too. He wants to see the smile in his eyes once more.

 

He arrives at a slightly open door. Slowly, he steps into the room where Jimin is sitting with his back turned to him, cloth and needle in his hands. Jungkook peers to the side of Jimin, noticing the heap of clothing. He glimpses to the other side of Jimin where a stack of papers full of designs is sketched on. He picks one up.

 

"I'm not done yet, Jiyoung," Jimin turns slightly, meeting Jungkook instead. His eyes narrow a bit and he turns away. Jungkook sits down next to him.

 

Jiyoung told him that Jimin has twenty outfits to make and the deadline is tomorrow. Judging from the scraps of clothing and Jimin's furrowed brows, he's not at all close to being finished. "Let me help," Jungkook offers as he picks up a needle.

 

Jimin whips his head towards him, parting his lips to object. "Just tell me what to do," Jungkook continues, not letting him do so. "I know Jiyoung's busy watching the shop so let me help you." Jimin presses his lips together in contemplation before giving in and instructing Jungkook what to do. 

 

~~~~

 

"Okay," Jimin sighs. "This one's finished," he holds up a man's hanbok. 

 

Jungkook smiles, happy to see success nearing them. He sets down the pair of shears in his hands. "May I see?" he asks Jimin. Jimin turns to him, hesitation in his eyes but he gives it to Jungkook. Jungkook takes it, admiring the details. He looks at the seams. All of which Jimin did alone. He runs his fingertips across them, taking note of their pattern and sturdiness. He raises his head, meeting Jimin's eyes.

 

Jimin turns away, fiddling with the cloth in his hand. "This looks great, Jimin. The sewing is intricate and done very well," he compliments.

 

"Thanks," Jimin says quietly, still turned away. "Thank you for helping me but if you want, you can leave now. You've already helped so much and it's quite late now."

 

"We're halfway done. I can't leave now," Jungkook folds the finished hanbok nicely and sets it off to the side. "Now," he scoots closer to Jimin. "What next?" he asks, enthusiastically. At this, the corners of Jimin's mouth lift a little. Jungkook too smiles.

 

Soon the sun is no longer beaming in the sky but they are still working together. 

 

"You have to make sure to pull all of it through like this or it'll make a knot and look messy," Jimin informs Jungkook as he teaches. He hands the needle and thread to Jungkook. "Now, you try."

 

Jungkook takes it and starts sewing with Jimin's critiquing eyes on him. "If you look at me like that, I'm bound to make a mistake," Jungkook jokes as he continues sewing.

 

Jimin flushes. "I-I just want to make sure you're doing it correctly." 

 

"And what do you see?" Jungkook asks with a slight smile in his voice, eager for a compliment. 

 

"Not too bad for a first-timer," Jimin murmurs. He leans closer, pointing. "But be careful. See, that part is a little clustered." Jungkook's eyes fall on his face. Now that he's this close, his cheeks look chubbier. The minimal lighting from the lanterns hits his face at the perfect angles, making him appear as if he's from a painting.

 

His face looks soft. Jungkook wonders if it's as soft as it looks. If you were to put him in the right clothing, give him expensive adornments, and change his hairstyle, he'd look like the perfect prince. "Understand?" Jimin's eyes leave the piece of cloth, transferring to Jungkook. 

 

Jungkook blinks, feeling heat rush to his face. "Understood," he utters, though not catching a single word Jimin said. 

 

"Good," Jimin gives a brief smile. Though Jungkook notes that he smiles only shortly, as their duration together continues, he's starting to spot them more frequently.

 

~~~~

 

"Jeon!" Jungkook and Hoseok stop walking, turning around. Jimin jogs up to them with a wide smile. "Morning Hoseok."

 

"Morning," Hoseok replies, taken back by Jimin's friendly nature.

 

"What is it?" Jungkook wonders what's making his eyes glow so much. 

 

Jimin opens the tiny bag in his hand. "Look at how much the customer paid. He was very impressed and satisfied so he paid extra!" Not only were Jimin's eyes glowing now, but all of him was also. 

 

"Congratulations," Jungkook smiles. "After all of your hard work, of course, you'd earn a lot." 

 

Jimin waves him off, "I wouldn't have been able to do it without you." He looks up at Jungkook, a different smile now on his face. "Thanks." Jungkook continues gazing into his eyes, enjoying the feeling dancing around his chest.

 

"How about we go get a celebratory lunch?" Hoseok chimes in, breaking in on their moment.

 

"I would love that," Jimin responds. "Where'd you want to go?" he asks Jungkook.

 

~~~~

 

Jungkook grins as he sees Jimin wave excitedly at him. He lost count of the days. Stitched them with the nights. He's been walking on clouds of delight. Feeling that same emotion dance in his chest whenever he's with Jimin. As he gets closer to him, that feeling grows nearer his heart.

 

"How's your day?" Jungkook asks as he reaches Jimin.

 

"Good," Jimin smiles and Jungkook smiles as well. He loves his smiles. "And you?"

 

"Better than ever," Jungkook answers, feeling each word's truth. He wraps an arm around Jimin's shoulder because that's what he does with his friends. That's what he tells himself but the real reason lies within the fact that when Jimin is right by him, it's easier to fall into his crescent eyes.

 

They spend the whole day together like they did yesterday and the day before that and the day before that day and so on. It's almost like a routine. Normal and fitting right into their lives. Tonight, however, was a break from their routine. 

 

"How many brothers and sisters do you have?" Jimin asks. 

 

"One," Jungkook answers. They've been doing this for a while now. After getting dinner at a restaurant, they ordered drinks and were now asking each other questions. "What's your favorite season?" 

 

"Spring," Jimin replies right away. "The atmosphere during spring is nice. It's like a new start. Nothing bad ever happens in spring." He leans his cheek in his hand. "What about you? What's your favorite season?"

 

"Summer," Jungkook responds. 'Because that's when I met you,' he thinks. However, he doesn't speak it, thinking of another question instead. He nibbles on his bottom lip as he contemplates whether to ask this or not.

Being bold he asks, "What do you like most about me?"

 

Jimin's eyes enlarge and his playful nature changes. "I..." His eyes skip around the place. Jungkook leans forward in anticipation, feeling his heart race. Then, Jimin's eyes land on the bottle of soju between them. 

 

Before starting this fun interrogation thing, they agreed that for each question you don't answer, you drink a shot of soju. Jimin takes the bottle and pours it into his cup. Jungkook's shoulders slump as he drinks it. He wasn't expecting Jimin to do that. Was expecting an answer like, "You're a good friend" or something like that. But the fact that he avoided answering now has Jungkook even more curious.

 

Jimin's face is flushed as he asks another question far from Jungkook's question. Jungkook answers it with ease then asks, "What's the second thing you like most about me?" 

 

Jimin and he make eye contact which confirms Jungkook's suspicion that he has an answer. However, Jimin reaches for the bottle of soju. 

 

~~~~

 

Jimin burps and Jungkook wrinkles his face at the smell of alcohol. Jimin bursts into giggles and he lets go of Jungkook's shoulder, resulting in him stumbling as they continue to walk. Jungkook reaches out for him but he waves him away.

 

Jungkook didn't think he'd get this drunk. If so, he would've stopped with purposely asking questions he knew Jimin wouldn't want to give the answers to. But he was just so curious as to why Jimin didn't answer his first question. "I don't understand. Why didn't you just answer my questions with lies?" Jungkook wonders as he follows behind a stumbling Jimin. "That way I would've stopped pestering you and you wouldn't be this drunk."

 

Jimin stops abruptly, spinning around so fast he almost falls into Jungkook. "You're a funny guy, Jeon."

 

Jungkook chuckles as Jimin's brows pinch together and he blinks multiple times as if trying to regain consciousness. "How so?" he asks, playing along.

 

"Because you," Jimin points a finger at him. "Are just a kid. You know I'm older than you?"

 

"I know," Jungkook smiles, remembering Jimin's pink cheeks when they figured out their age difference. 

 

"Yah!" Jimin wags his finger. "This is no time to be laughing. I was born first!" He turns back around, attempting to walk straight before failing and tripping. Thankfully, he didn't get far so Jungkook is able to grab him by the arm before he fell.

 

"H-hey, are you okay?" Jungkook asks, trying not to laugh. Jimin turns around, looking down at Jungkook's hand. Slowly, he looks up at Jungkook. Clarity shines in his eyes for a second before he squeezes them close and leans forward, pecking Jungkook on the lips.

 

Jimin moves back, cheeks rosy. "I..."

 

Jungkook steps towards him, cheeks flaming as he takes hold of Jimin's face. He leans forward, wanting to connect their lips. Their noses hit each other, fumbling Jungkook even more. But then Jimin's arms wrap around his waist and he tilts his head as Jungkook leans in again for a second attempt.