Chapter Twenty

For The Reason That

Jungkook opens his eyes as he lowers the hulusi. The instrument that Seokjin gifted him. "What am I doing?" he speaks to the sky. What is he doing? He just approached Seokjin to get revenge. That's all it was but now he's not sure if all his actions are driven by pure revenge. "What am I thinking?" Jungkook goes back to playing the hulusi. His emotions reflect through the instrument with no filter. With no lies. 

 

Time passes and Jungkook's objective forgets itself. He forgets as he takes Seokjin out every night to the marketplace. Forgets whenever they talk and he gets to hear Seokjin's mellifluous voice. Gets to hear his laugh that no matter the content will make Jungkook laugh as well. His sweet smile that no other holds. 

 

Jungkook has a small smile on his face as he makes his way to the main palace. There's a celebration tonight and Seokjin's attending. He arrives and weaves through all the nobles, searching for Jin. 

 

He enters the main room and is confused when he sees that people are dancing. His eyes scan the room and he spots Seokjin's backside. "Jin," he calls as he gets closer. His smile widens, glad to have found Seokjin but it disappears when he turns around. 

 

Seokjin's eyes are shiny and wet with unspilled tears. The sight clouds Jungkook's eyes, creasing his forehead. He hasn't seen Seokjin with a tear since they first met. "Jin, why are you..." he looks behind Seokjin at the dance floor. Jimin with Taehyung. 

 

Seokjin already left. Jungkook looks away from the couple as his old wounds start to open. "Jin," he calls as he follows Seokjin out. He picks up his speed, "Jin." Seokjin keeps walking and the first thing that comes to Jungkook's mind is to take his hand which he does. Then he leads Seokjin away from the crowd. A place with just them. 

 

Jungkook stops and looks around to make sure no one is around before turning back to Seokjin. It pains him as he sees Seokjin's lifeless eyes staring at the ground. "Jin, look at me," he urges softly. He doesn't. Tentatively, Jungkook tilts his chin up. 

 

His eyes are still full of tears. Jungkook closes his eyes, remembering all the times he shed tears over Jimin. He takes a breath before opening his eyes. "Don't," he meets Seokjin's eyes. "Don't shed a tear over him, Seokjin." 

 

'He doesn't deserve your tears,' Jungkook's thoughts continue. 

 

Seokjin looks away from him. "How could I not?" He bites his lip. "Am I that unloveable?" 

 

"Of course not," Jungkook words straight away. "He's just blind," his voice is meek. 

 

'He's blind for not seeing you,' Jungkook thinks. 'How could he not see someone so beautiful?' 

 

"Don't cry over him. Don't beat yourself up. Don't blame yourself, Jin." 

 

'Don't be like me," his thoughts whisper. 

 

**************************

 

 

"I'll go, Your Majesty."

 

"You will?" The King looks surprised by this. 

 

"Yes," Jungkook continues. "General Sohn and his men are trained to protect the royal family and the palace. Therefore, they should stay. I'll lead my men to Gorchik."

 

"Your Royal Highness," General Sohn starts. "Your men are young and they haven't trained for as long as my men. If my troop goes, Gorchik's army may not even reach the kingdom." 

 

"But if your troop gets overpowered and Gorchik makes it to our doorstep, who'll protect the King then?" Jungkook reasons. "My men are young but they are skilled. I'll have us test the waters first to not risk many lives." 

 

General Sohn is about to object but the King speaks first. "We'll have Jungkook's troop head to Gorchik first." 

 

~~~~

 

Jungkook looks into the mirror, wrapping the dark red headband around his forehead. Seokjin's headband. He finishes and leans back. 

 

He hasn't seen Seokjin since he confessed. He deserves it though. Jungkook looks around his bedchamber. Then he grabs his bag and leaves. 

 

Though he was always trying to leave the palace whenever he could, it's hard to part with the Palace of Tiger Lily. It may be the last time Jungkook sees his palace. Though a servant offers to, Jungkook locks up the palace with his own hands. 

 

He arrives at the Main Palace where he and his troop is to meet before departing. Jungkook checks their inventory, checks the horses, takes attendance, etc. As he waits for more soldiers to come, he finds himself wishing one more thing before he goes. That being to see Seokjin.

 

Jungkook ventures to the Palace of Rumex quickly. He understands if Seokjin still doesn't want to see or talk to him. He would do the same thing if he were him. "Your Royal Highness, aren't we to depart soon?" one of his soldiers asks as he meets Jungkook. 

 

"Yes, Hyungseo. I just have to do something first," Jungkook tells him. Hyungseo leaves and Jungkook nears Seokjin's palace, lurking behind the back interest. Then he hears it. It's quiet at first but as Jungkook presses his back against the wall and focuses on it, the sound grows louder.

 

He closes his eyes as the pained notes of the gayageum meet his ears. 'You didn't mean to what?' he remembers Seokjin's words. 

 

"I didn't mean to fall in love with you," Jungkook whispers as he struggles to keep his eyes dry. "I'm sorry, Jin."

 

 

**************************

 

Jungkook scrunches his face, feeling pain shoot up his back. He opens his eyes and immediately sees a wide-eyed Seokjin. 

 

He sits up, pressing a hand to the back of his head. "I think I'm seeing stars," he breathes, feeling light-headed. He blinks to make the black spots covering his vision go away. Seokjin's still staring at him. Mayhaps the fall was too great and Jungkook's already in heaven or the afterlife. "Am I in the stars?" he wonders aloud.

 

A breath escapes from Seokjin and he pulls Jungkook into an embrace. Jungkook's muscles go rigid. This is the first time Seokjin hugged him. Pink paints his cheeks like a cherub as Seokjin's warmth envelop him. He relaxes into his hold. "You're not dead. You're still alive," Seokjin speaks with relief in his voice. 

 

'Was Jin with great fear at the thought of losing me to death?' Jungkook lifts his arms slightly, wanting to return Seokjin's embrace. However, Seokjin pulls away before he could do so. "Are you hurt anywhere? You must be. That was a great fall," Seokjin rambles while Jungkook tries to rid the heat in his face. Seokjin's eyes scan him, probably searching for injuries.  

 

"Nothing hurts. I think it's because this haystack cushioned it," Jungkook pushes away the reoccurring warmth in his face that comes from Seokjin's care. Seokjin dusts the hay off of his shoulders. "Are you," Jungkook wets his lips. "hurt anywhere?" 

 

It was his fault that Jin fell. He knew climbing a rope made out of clothes wasn't safe. What if he wasn't able to catch Jin in time? 

 

Seokjin shakes his head, concern still written on his face. "What were you doing? Why'd you catch me? If this haystack wasn't here, you would've..." Seokjin's voice trails off as a gray cloud settles above his head. 

 

Jungkook smiles, wincing from the pain but still doing it so to make Jin feel better. "Luckily, it is here and you and I are both here," he says with a light tone. 

 

Seokjin's forehead creases. "Yes, but-" 

 

Jungkook presses a finger to his lips, trying not to put too much thought into the action, "Shh. The important thing is that you're not hurt." 

 

Seokjin's eyes flicker down and Jungkook could see a thought process in his head. "Why is this haystack just randomly here?" Seokjin asks, looking around.

 

"Sometimes, I take Noir out this way. Having it here makes it more convenient," Jungkook tells him. 

 

"How fortunate," Seokjin sighs. He glances at Jungkook, "Are you sure you didn't break a bone or two?"

 

"I'm sure," Jungkook assures him. "Let's get down from this thing." He gets off first with Seokjin eyeing him, still at unease. Jungkook dusts his pants as Seokjin follows suit. 

 

He walks over to the gate and picks up the rope made with his clothes. He could feel Seokjin's worried eyes on him. As he's wrapping the clothes into a little ball, "Stop worrying, would you." 

 

"How can I not? You cushioned my fall," Seokjin looks down. "I owe you a lot now." 

 

Jungkook walks back to where he is. "I'm a strong man. If I were to die, it wouldn't be because of a small accident like this," he tells him. He tilts Seokjin's chin up, wanting to see his face. "Besides, you don't owe me anything. I put myself in the position to catch you."

 

Seokjin steps back and Jungkook's hand drops. "Thank you," he thanks. "For catching me and for making me feel better." His eyes skip around. "I forgot all about it and had a good time." 

 

Happiness dances in Jungkook's chest knowing he helped Jin feel better. "You're welcome," he replies. Seokjin sneaks a glance at Jungkook then away. His lips part to speak but no words come out. 

 

Jungkook's eyes trail to Seokjin's hair which holds nothing. Searching through his memories, he realizes Seokjin doesn't wear hairpins often. Slowly, his hand reaches for the back of his head. He protrudes the hairpin he's worn all day. He gulps, eyeing the hairpin. He just wore this hairpin tonight with no remembrance of its origin. Yet, at this moment he remembers. 

 

His mother gave it to him when he came of age. 'Your father gave it to me the day he declared his love for me,' his mother had said. 'I want you to do the same when you find your special person.'

 

Jungkook pins the hairpin in Seokjin's hair. "I noticed you don't wear hairpins often," Jungkook adjusts the hairpin then moves his hand away. Seokjin doesn't blink and Jungkook frets, thinking he stepped out of line. 

 

A strand of hair escapes and covers Seokjin's eye. He pushes it away. "You-" he stops and clears his throat. "You didn't have to. I have a lot already." He doesn't look at Jungkook, seeming flustered. At this, Jungkook's heart beams. "I just don't wear them," he adds as another strand of hair escapes from behind his ear. 

 

Jungkook's fingertips reach out, kissing Seokjin's cheek slightly as they tuck the hair behind his ear. He doesn't want to pull away. "Will you at least wear mine?" he meets Seokjin's eyes. He's not sure if he's imagining it but Seokjin's eyes light up. 

 

"I can," Seokjin replies tenderly. Jungkook smiles, not able to contain it anymore. The corners of Seokjin's mouth lift, following him. Then, "Visit the physician if you feel pain anywhere, alright." 

 

"I will," Jungkook says, pulling his hand back to his dismay. Seokjin turns around and the hairpin twinkles. "Sweet dreams, Seokjin," Jungkook bids quietly, not quite confident enough. 

 

Nonetheless, Seokjin hears it and turns his head. "Sweet dreams, Jungkook." He turns back quickly. 

 

Jungkook smiles again, feeling his chest smile with him. He keeps repeating what just happened in his mind, not wanting it to end. Seokjin bade him goodnight and he said his name with it. He watches as Seokjin gets farther away. He wants to hear his name from Seokjin again. 

 

His steps are light as he walks to his bedchamber. He feels like he's floating. 

 

~~~~

 

It's early in the morning as Jungkook gets ready for his trip with Lord Yoo and Lord Wang to the village. He checks the carriage for all their needed items. Hearing footsteps behind him, he assumes it's Lord Yoo who was here earlier. "It seems like everything's good to go, Lord Yoo," he speaks as he finishes taking inventory. 

 

"Try again," he hears Seokjin's familiar voice laced with a smile. He's about to turn around but Seokjin places his hands on his shoulders, stopping him. The touch is gentle yet leaves a burning mark on Jungkook. 

 

"I wasn't expecting you, Jin," Jungkook speaks as he turns his head. Seokjin drops his hand and Jungkook fully turns to face him. He fights a smile as he notices his hairpin in Seokjin's hair.

 

"Expect the unexpected," Seokjin beams, holding out a basket.

 

Jungkook takes the basket, "You got me a goodbye gift?" He feels somewhat flattered, knowing that Seokjin thought of him. Scratch that, he feels very pleased. 

 

"It's not just for you. For Lord Yoo and Lord Wang as well," Seokjin tells him, bursting his bubble. "It's lunch or breakfast if you all haven't eaten yet." 

 

"Thank you," Jungkook thanks, turning around and putting the basket in the carriage. 'Jin's a nice person. Of course, he'll think of everyone. Not just you,' he scolds himself. 

 

Suddenly, he feels something like silk over his forehead. The other voices and sounds around them fade as Seokjin speaks, "I got you a lucky headband since it can be dangerous." He ties it as Jungkook stands, frozen. 

 

He wills his body to turn around once Seokjin's finished. Seokjin giggles and Jungkook almost ducks his head. He adjusts the headband, brushing Jungkook's hair out of his eyes. Then he smiles when done. Jungkook stares. 

 

Seokjin must've taken his stare for the wrong thing as his smile dropped. He seems to be running through his thoughts. "Th-thank you, Jin," Jungkook stutters, not wanting Seokjin to mistake him. His eyes flicker away from Seokjin's. "You didn't have to," he tries to conceal the heat on his cheeks. He chides at the warmth that keeps accompanying his face.

 

"Would you send my greetings to Chief Lai and the village?" Seokjin ask. 

 

"Mmh," Jungkook says. Thinking the pink is no longer, he glances back at Seokjin. "Will you take care of my mother for me?" 

 

Seokjin nods, "I will." A servant brings Noir to Jungkook, reminding him of the time. "Have a safe journey, Jungkook," Seokjin utters. Before Jungkook can say anything, Lord Yoo walks up to them. 

 

Lord Wang also arrived so the three get ready to leave. Jungkook gets on Noir and the two officials take off as the west gate opens. However, Jungkook spares a glimpse around the crowd of servants that came to see them off. He wants to see Seokjin before he goes. 

 

He spots Seokjin and waves. Seokjin raises his hand and waves back to Jungkook's surprise. Usually, Jin wants their relationship to be very discreet. Jungkook smiles, feeling Seokjin's headband on his head. 

 

**************************

 

 

"Let's rest here for the night," Jungkook tells his troop. They were in the middle of a forest but the soldiers were exhausted and the horses needed to be fed. Under Jungkook's construction, camp is set and dinner is served. 

 

The soldiers are full of chatter and excitement when dinner ends. Their exhaustion is no more as they tell stories around the warm bonfire. 

 

"She has long, shiny, straight black hair that cascades over her shoulders,” one of the soldiers, Juyeon, describes his lover. "Small pale face with softly arched brows that frame her big innocent eyes." The other soldiers listen intently. "She's exactly five inches shorter than me. Her voice is soft and pretty whenever she calls for me," he smiles dreamily. 

 

"Yah!” another soldier, Youngjae interrupts. "Is she even real? Sounds like you're just describing an angel," he jokes. 

 

"Hey! Back off, she's mine," Juyeon raises his voice. However, it's playful and they all laugh. Including Jungkook.

 

"What about you, Your Highness?" Joonyoung, who's sitting next to Jungkook asks. Perfect in timing, everyone chooses that moment to quiet down. 

 

Jungkook brushes the question off, "My life's uneventful in that category." 

 

"Uneventful?!" Youngjae exclaims exaggeratedly, causing them to laugh. 

 

"Shh," Jungkook shushes them. "It is." 

 

"How so?" Hyungseo wonders. "You're not that old. You're the same age as some of us and even younger as well. You're also good-looking." They all nod and mumble in agreement. 

 

Jungkook laughs, "Thank you but I'm too busy for that kind of stuff." 

 

"No offense, Your Highness," Youngjae starts. "But I believe you're lying. Surely, you must have someone or at least have had someone occupied your heart." 

 

'Had,' Jungkook thinks with a heavy heart. He pushes the feeling away but his soldiers know him well, urging him to tell them. So he does. "I like his persistency. He's a deep thinker. He's generous and humble. My favorite part of him is how good his heart is," a faint smile appears on his face. "I also like making him flustered and seeing pink flowers bloom on his cheeks. His laughter and smile shine brighter than any light source in the world. I want to be a better person for him." 

 

~~~~

 

Jungkook picks up the snow, watching as it glittered in the moonlight. He sets it back down, noting that the amount of snow is not as abundant anymore. Winter is ending. He plops down on the bare ground, looking up at the moon. 

 

Seokjin's face after he confessed is one he'll never forget. Knowing that he was the lone cause to that scars his brain even more. Jungkook runs a hand through his hair, feeling Seokjin's headband. Flashes of Seokjin's smiles run through his head and guilt stings him again. 

 

He wonders if his mother has forgiven him for hurting Seokjin. Jungkook pulls his knees up and wraps his arms around himself. If she is watching from above, she must've seen him hurt Seokjin. Witnessed how he broke his heart.

 

Jungkook's brought back to when his mother passed and how Seokjin was there for him. It was then Jungkook realized his actions towards Seokjin were not purely pretend.

 

 

**************************

 

Jungkook wanted to do nothing. He felt numb. Tears wanted to spill but none did. He didn't even notice it as the rain started to fall. He should've been a better son. Should've been a better prince like his mother wanted. Should've spent more time with her. 

 

The rain around Jungkook continues but is no longer falling on him. Still sorrowful, he raises his head to see why the rain stopped. "Seokjin..." Jungkook blinks, not believing his eyes. Jin came? Jin came for him? Why? 

 

Like a bright light, Seokjin fades the gray around them away. His lips move but Jungkook can only hear the rain. Seeing his confusion, he shakes his head and speaks louder. "I brought you food."

 

"You didn't have to," Jungkook continues staring up at Seokjin. Now, not only regret and sorrow filled him, guilt followed suit. 

 

~~~~ 

 

They were at the beach. Jungkook steals a glance at Seokjin who's busy poking at the ocean's water. Innocent and unknown to any of Jungkook's emotions. Jungkook glance away. What is his feeling? 

 

Jungkook ignores it, along with his regret with his mother. 

 

Shortly after, Jungkook forgets about it all. His face cracks into smiles as he plays with Seokjin. Then they're running and Jungkook can feel the cold, cold ocean breeze against him. Against them yet they're both still laughing and still running together. 

 

"Get back!" Seokjin yells as Jungkook nears him. 

 

"I don't want to!" Jungkook yells back, closer to Seokjin now. They were both now knee-deep in the water. Seokjin turns around, struggling to escape him. Jungkook smiles at how adorable he is. He reaches out for him, pulling him back by the elbow. Instead of coming towards him, Seokjin stumbles forward.

 

Jungkook wraps his arms around his waist and pulls him back, hugging him. "Jungkook, let me go!" Seokjin demands, prying at his arms. Jungkook does the opposite, tightening his hold and resting his chin on Seokjin's shoulder. Even though they are in the ocean's water, Jungkook feels so, so warm. 

 

He doesn't want the feeling to go away. He wants it to last longer and if possible, to amplify it. As if the universe sides with Jungkook, two minke whales appear in the distance. 

 

"Shh," he whispers into Seokjin's ear, wanting to see them color. "You'll scare them away," he says in a hushed voice. He forces himself to look at the whales instead of Seokjin. 

 

Seokjin stills, eyes trailing to where Jungkook's looking. "Wow," Seokjin breathes out as the two whales' fins stick out from the surface, both going under together.

 

Jungkook beams, pleased from Seokjin's interest. His face, when he's amazed, is something Jungkook would never get tired of seeing. "I know right," he agrees.

 

"Minke whales usually travel alone. I'm thrilled that we were able to see two," Seokjin comments, watching as the whales disappear underneath the surface.

 

"They must be close then," Jungkook comments lowly, allowing his eyes to be on Seokjin again. As if remembering their situation, Seokjin tries at Jungkook's arms again which are still tight around him.

 

"Let me go," Seokjin demands once again, turning around in Jungkook's hold to face him.

Jungkook has a smile on his lips to which is his heart's doing. Yet, he doesn't know that. Too immersed in the moment. Specifically, Jin.

 

"What if I don't want to?" Jungkook asks playfully, fondly, and something else.

 

"Jungkook!" Seokjin chides, pushing at his shoulders. Jungkook laughs, bringing a hand to hold Seokjin's. Seokjin stops, eyes confused but gleaming. Luminescent, enchanting, and easy to fall into. Jungkook's eyes trail down to Seokjin's lips before coming back up. Slowly, he leans forward, eyes still on Seokjin's beautiful eyes. 

 

A million thoughts race through Jungkook's head. All million of them are of Seokjin who closes his eyes and doesn’t push him away. 

 

Cutting in on the moment, the sound of a wave could be heard. It sounds louder and harsher than the others. Jungkook pulls Seokjin into his chest, closing his eyes as the water hits them. The water was now up to their waists. 

 

The water rushes past them, pushing against them but Jungkook continues holding Seokjin. It dawns on him that he wanted to kiss Jin. 

 

~~~~

 

His finger isn't as great as a paintbrush but Jungkook draws Seokjin's face on the sand. He sketches so that Seokjin's hair is flying just like how it was a moment ago in the wind. Hearing Seokjin's steps, Jungkook runs his hand through the portrait. Seokjin pouts, "Why'd you ruin it?"

 

"It was nothing," Jungkook dismisses.

 

Seokjin sits down next to him. "How are you doing?" Jungkook's head lowers. 

 

"I'm good," he replies, looking down at his hands.

 

Seokjin doesn't speak for a moment. "I'm.." Jungkook's eyes are still on his hands, avoiding Seokjin. "worried about you," he says quietly. Jungkook's surprised at this. Still so, he doesn't say anything but Seokjin continues. "I don't know what to say. I don't know how you feel but if you're struggling," he pauses. Jungkook stares at the sea. "I think you should talk to someone. I'll listen if you want me to. Or if you don't need to talk, that's okay as well-"

 

Jungkook hides his face in Seokjin's shoulder, shoulders shaking as his tears finally come. 

 

Seokjin wraps an arm around him and Jungkook feels more tears stream down his face. After his tears seem to stop, Jungkook tells Seokjin about his regret and self-reproach. 

 

He didn't want to think this way but it felt like the only person he had was his mother. With her gone, he didn't want to face the fact that he was now alone. However, he's proven wrong. He's not alone. He has Seokjin. 

 

In Seokjin’s safe hold, Jungkook falls asleep. When he awakens, a flurry of emotions also wakes with him. Grief that his mother is not coming back. Happiness that he's with Seokjin. Guilt as he realizes that Seokjin cares for him. 

 

'I should stop this,' Jungkook thinks grimly as he watches Seokjin's peaceful resting face. 'Before it continues longer and I find myself in a spot I shouldn't be. What am I saying?' Jungkook finds Seokjin's hand and interlocks them. 'I'm already in that spot.' 

 

In a whisper, though Seokjin wouldn't even hear, "I'm not pretending anymore, am I?"

 

**************************

 

 

It's been two weeks since Jungkook and his armed men left the North Kingdom. Two weeks since he had told Seokjin the truth and therefore, breaking his heart. 

 

They should be at the borders soon. Though not professional, Jungkook hasn't been thinking of the whole Gorchik ordeal. Instead, memories of Seokjin swarmed him like the rising temperature to the snow. 

 

Jungkook and his soldiers reach a small town just in time before the night hits. While the soldiers are out having fun in the town's marketplace, Jungkook's in his rented room at the desk. He stares at the blank piece of paper in front of him. As he brings the paintbrush down to touch the paper, his finger twitches. 

 

Jungkook sighs, setting the paintbrush down. Seokjin wouldn't want a letter from him. He must be still upset at him. Jungkook leans back in his chair and the marketplace's festivity could be heard. He goes to close the window, catching a whiff of pancakes. 

 

Jungkook closes the window, leaning against it. Pancakes. Nostalgia fills him as he recalls Seokjin's pancakes. He recalls almost kissing Seokjin. Everything was light and fluffy back then. 

 

However, that moment was the start of Jungkook distancing himself from Seokjin.

 

 

**************************

 

Jungkook takes a swig of the bitter alcohol. Seokjin's face in his mind blurs as he takes another shot. The alcohol isn't magic though and the vision of Seokjin lying on his bed comes back to him. With Jungkook over him and with Seokjin staring up at him. Jungkook chugs more of the soju down. 

 

Jungkook drowns in his thoughts. He's confused. It's all just a plan to get back at Taehyung. That's all it was at first. But now, he's not sure that's the case anymore. 

 

Jungkook takes another sip.

 

He's not sure what it is anymore. He's not sure why he keeps wanting to kiss Seokjin. He also finds himself hating the moments where he has to see Seokjin with Taehyung. It's not like Jungkook has feelings for Seokjin. 

 

Jungkook laughs half-heartedly and pathetically. That's not possible. He doesn't like Seokjin. He doesn't like how caring, generous, persistent, and kind he is. He definitely isn't fazed by his beauty or how adorable he can get. Being around Seokjin is-

 

Jungkook chugs down the bottle of soju. 

 

Since the pancake incident, he's been avoiding Seokjin with the idea that if he doesn't see him anymore, these weird thoughts will disappear. Yes, that's what he'll do. Just continue to avoid him. 

 

But just earlier he met Seokjin at the play. 'Why'd he come to find me?' Jungkook wonders but then drinks more alcohol. No. No more thoughts of Seokjin. 

 

However, that doesn't work as Seokjin finds him again. It doesn't work as Seokjin refuses to leave the bar until Jungkook leaves with him. Though drunk, his chest bloomed as Jin cared for him.

 

~~~~

 

"Want me to sing you a song?" Jungkook asks, remembering that Seokjin once asked him to.

 

"That would be nice," Seokjin annunciates softly, head still resting on Jungkook's shoulder. Jungkook resists the urge to lean his head on top of Seokjin's as he sings. 

 

"That faint voice of yours that grazed me

Please call my name one more time

I'm standing still under the frozen light, but

I will walk towards you, step by step

Still with you

We laugh together, we cry together

These simple feelings were everything I had" 

 

'Everything I had,' Jungkook looks down at Seokjin who looks up at him, eyes bright just for him. It's times like these, that Jungkook wished he were Taehyung. 

 

 

**************************

 

A deathly silence has fallen over Jungkook's soldiers as they are now on Gorchik's soil. "We will not hurt any civilians," Jungkook tells them as they get deeper into the foreign kingdom. "Only the royal guard." 

 

Jungkook halts as he spots something flying towards them. He tries to make out what it is. An arrow? He tilts his head. But it's the only one. 

 

It lands in front of Jungkook, making a few of the soldiers flinch. Jungkook gets off of Noir, pulling the arrow out of the ground. Tied around it is Gorchik's flag. "Defense position!" Jungkook yells just in time as more arrows fly towards them.

 

The next hours are chaos, marking the start of the battle.

 

The fighting is put to a temporary stop only when night falls and Gorchik's army retreat. However, they're bound to come tomorrow. Jungkook can't sleep in his tent despite his sore muscles aching for rest. 

 

He leaves and does a check of their camp, checking in on the soldiers on night duty. He finishes but doesn't return to his tent as he spots a familiar tree. It's the same species as the one he and Jin found when they were lost and he tried to climb it. He climbs it, getting a good overlook of the whole camp. 

 

His eyes close from exhaustion but his mind is nowhere near exhausted. The battle is not pretty and some of today's memory stains Jungkook's mind painfully. 

 

Even after the awful memories subside, another memory makes itself known. One newer and only a few weeks old. Jungkook leans against the tree. 

 

Before he left the North Kingdom, he wanted to come clean to Seokjin. Despite the chances that Seokjin will hate him forever, he did it. He told him how everything started from the beginning but he never got to the end. 

 

 

***(Three weeks ago)***

 

 

"Seeing you there with tears for him," Jungkook shakes his head, recalling the night Seokjin had cried after seeing Taehyung and Jimin dance together. "In that moment, I thought to myself 'He doesn't deserve your-" 

 

"Stop!" Jungkook lifts his head off of Seokjin's shoulder. 

 

"Jin, I..." his voice dies as he meets Seokjin's eyes. Tear-filled and this time not because of Taehyung but because of him. He did this, he hurt Jin. 

 

Seokjin presses his lips together before releasing. "I don't want to hear anymore," he stands up. 

 

Jungkook stands up as well. "I didn't mean to. I didn't know what I was doing. I was stupid. I was reckless," he tries for anything that'll make Seokjin stay. Wincing at his own pathetic and disgusting words.

 

Seokjin turns around. "You didn't mean to what? Make me fall in love with you? Take revenge on Prince Taehyung, my husband?" his voice cracks and a tear drips from his eye. "Well, you know what? You succeeded." More tears stream down Seokjin's face. He wipes them away but more come. Jungkook takes a step towards him and he takes a step back. 

 

"Was it easy?" Seokjin voices quietly, eyes trained on the ground.

 

"What?" Jungkook asks, confused. 

 

"Was it easy making me fall for you?" Seokjin looks back at him. Another tear. "I," Seokjin stops as his voice shakes. "I'm not Prince Taehyung's plaything that you could just take away." Another tear falls but this time from Jungkook. "I'm Seokjin. My own person." Seokjin keeps his eyes on Jungkook despite his tears. "I thought you of all people knew that." 

 

A tear leaves Jungkook's eyes and he's frozen in place as he takes in Seokjin's words. Seokjin wipes his eyes and turns his back to Jungkook before walking away. Jungkook watches as the love of his life walks out on him because of him. More tears spill from him.

 

After that, Jungkook volunteered his troop to go to Gorchik. He had come clean as he wanted. However, he did not want to break Seokjin’s heart which was exactly what he ended up doing.