Chapter Ninteen

For The Reason That

After dropping Jimin home, Jungkook reluctantly made his way back to the palace. He's with a smile as he strolls down the empty halls. He subconsciously bites his lip as he thinks of their shared kiss.

He pushes the door to his bedchamber open but instead of meeting darkness, he meets light. Jungkook squints, not used to the light. "Mother?" he manages to make out. Her lips are pressed tightly together and her brows drawn. 

She stands up, "Where have you been?" 

"Out, in the marketplace," Jungkook replies casually. His mother knows he leaves the palace every chance he gets. 

"Why haven't you been attending your studies?" she asks, walking over to him. 

Jungkook rolls his eyes, "Why does it matter, Mother?" He's not sure why his mother is suddenly so uptight with him. He's always been this way. "It's not like I make a difference if I go." The happy emotion he once felt, has now dispersed into the air. Poisoned by the palace walls. "It's not like the King is suddenly going to care."

"Jungkook," his mother whispers, hurt in her eyes. 

Immediately, regret sinks into Jungkook. "I apologize, Mother," his head hangs. He breathes in then out. "Did you need something?" Jungkook asks, softly. He wonders why his mother stayed this late to meet him. It wouldn't be to come over and scold him.

She walks over to him, brushing his hair out of his eyes. "His Majesty wishes to speak to you." 

"You could've just told me tomorrow morning. You didn't need to wait here for me," Jungkook tells her. 

She looks solemn, "He wishes to see you tonight."

~~~~

"Look who finally returned home." 

Jungkook bows deeply, head touching the floor. "My apologies, Your Majesty." He lifts his head back up to meet the King who's only in his nightclothes, eyes still sleepy. 

"I gave you permission to visit the outside, not to live outside and avoid your duties," the King scolds. "Now, what were you doing anyway? Are you always out till midnight?"

"I was with a friend, Your Majesty," Jungkook responds. "And no, I am not always out past midnight." 

The King leans back in his throne, rubbing his eyes. "Tomorrow, I forbid you to leave the Imperial Palace." At this, Jungkook's eyes widen. "You are to visit Princess Sohee and spend the whole day with-"

"I decline, Your Majesty," Jungkook knows exactly what it is he's trying to do. "I do not wish to marry Princess Sohee."

"You do not interrupt me!" the King bellows. Signs of sleepiness are no longer present. The Queen who is sitting to his right smirks while his mother frets, parting her lips to speak for Jungkook but doesn't get to do so as the King holds out a hand to silence her. 

"I have let you do whatever you pleased. Allowing you to frolic around like some peasant and play in their dirt pens." Jungkook narrows his eyes at his degradation of the people. "Do not glare at me," he orders sharply. 

Jungkook knows better not to talk back. He can see his mother's pleading eyes but he does it anyway. "I have every right to. What kind of king looks down on his people? The people that are poor and working just so he can have power and wealth. Just so he can sit on a slab of stone you call the throne." 

"You!" the King stands up. 

"Father," Taehyung, who'd been watching, stops him from proceeding towards Jungkook. "Jungkook's just a child. He's just going through a phase right now." 

"And he will get over this 'phase' and marry as a man does," the King continues, angrily. 

"I will not marry," Jungkook repeats. 

"You will!" the King's face is starting to redden. 

"I will not," Jungkook repeats once more, holding his ground. 

"Father," Taehyung starts but the King speaks over him. 

"Why can't you be more like your brother?" Jungkook's calm demeanor almost breaks. "Why can't you be the perfect prince and son that he is? And unlike you, he married when I told him to. Therefore, he's going to be the perfect husband as well. Then, he'll be the perfect king."

Jungkook's eyes flit towards his mother's face, then the Queen's, and finally, Taehyung's. 

Perfect. Perfect was all he strived for since he learned how to walk. Perfect so that he can finally be something other than Taehyung's shadow. But no matter how perfect he is, he'll never be Taehyung's shadow. Every perfect step he takes, Taehyung has already taken. He'll never be his own person. He'd rather take every other step that is deemed imperfect if that means he'll be his own person.

Jungkook doesn't utter another word as he turns around, walking out of the throne room. "Jungkook!" he hears the King scream.

"Father," he hears Taehyung call again as the doors close behind him. "Father", a word unknown in Jungkook's dictionary. 

~~~~

Remnants of last night linger in Jungkook's head but he pushes it away. He walks into the familiar shop, searching for his favorite person. Beaming, when he spots him. 

"Hey," Jungkook smiles as Jimin turns to him. 

Pink dances on his cheeks as Jungkook continues smiling at him. "Hey," he looks down. Then, he peers back up. "Sorry for the other night."

"How so?" Jungkook voices, still with a soft smile. 

"I got drunk." Jimin bows his head. "Thanks for bringing me home." He's about to walk past Jungkook but Jungkook takes hold of his arm, pulling him back. 

"Don't you remember what happened last night?" Jungkook asks, entertained. The blush on his cheeks proves that he does remember. 

"I don't," Jimin lies, looking away from Jungkook. 

"Let me remind you," Jungkook pulls him closer. 

Jimin's eyes frantically scan the shop, "Jeon, there are people around."

Jungkook ignores the people. "You kissed me first, remember?" At this, Jimin's frantic eyes stop moving around. Finally, landing on Jungkook. "Can I kiss you first this time?" he asks, looking into Jimin's eyes that he loves so much. 

Jimin, who has nothing to do with Prince Jungkook. Jimin, who sees him for who he is. Jimin, who he loves. 

Softly, Jimin's hand caresses his cheek and he nods. Jungkook grins before leaning forward and letting their lips touch. Jimin's other hand comes up to cup his other cheek as he kisses Jungkook back. All remnants of the palace disperse under the kiss.

~~~~

Time passed and Jungkook continued avoiding the King and the Imperial Palace. As he fell deeper for Jimin, he revealed his true identity. That he was not Jeon but Prince Jungkook. It took some time for Jimin to adjust to the change. Nonetheless, he stayed with Jungkook. "Through thick and thin," as Jimin had put it.

However, not all was well as Jimin still had a debt to pay. "Let me help you," Jungkook had insisted. He had all the money in the world. The sum would be easily taken care of if Jimin would just let him.

"Let me help myself. You've already done so much," Jimin had refused. 

"At least, let me help you earn the needed amount as fast as possible," Jungkook had said, not content with Jimin earning all the amount with only the shop's help. An idea had come to him. Jimin would earn a lot more if he was working where there was more money. Once he got the needed amount, he can leave and go back to the shop. 

That was their idea. For Jimin to come work in the Imperial Palace under Jungkook's recommendation. Once, he had earned enough, he would go back to working at his shop. That was the plan.

Jungkook bows his head. "I want to introduce you to Jimin," he tells his mother. He turns his head slightly as Jimin scoots forward, also on his knees. 

He bows deeply until his head touched the ground, "Greetings, Your Majesty." 

"Jimin is a tailor. He made all of the dresses I've been gifting you," Jungkook informs his mother. He needs either his mother, the King, or the Queen's approval to let Jimin work in the palace.

His mother smiles at Jimin. "You're very talented, Jimin." 

Jimin smiles, "Thank you, Your Majesty."

She glances at Jungkook, "I'll have to ask Head Tailor Bae first if he needs more assistants." 

Jungkook grins, "Thank you, Mother." He bows again and Jimin does the same.

~~~~

"Your mother was really nice," Jimin speaks as they walk back to the Palace of Tiger Lily. Jimin would be staying with him until he gets accepted. If so, he would then have to room with the servants. 

"My mother's nice to everyone. Even more, if she admires you which she does with you," Jungkook tells him.

Jimin smiles bashfully, "You're just saying that."

"No," Jungkook declines. "She tells me so. Whenever she received one of the dresses you made."

Jimin smiles and he wraps an arm around Jungkook's. "I'm glad. I want your mother to like me." 

"She already does." Jungkook stops, pulling his arm away from Jimin. The cherry blossom trees have bloomed since it is now spring. He walks towards the fallen flowers, picking one up. He turns back to Jimin with the flower in his hand. He wants to pin it in his hair.

Before he could do so, "Jungkook."

Jimin stiffens at the intruder, eyes flying towards Jungkook for he does not know who the stranger is. Jungkook goes back to his side as the intruder comes closer to them. "Yes," he replies.

"I heard you're finally back," Taehyung stops in front of them. His eyes fall on Jimin. "And you brought a friend?"

Jungkook nods and turns to Jimin. "This is Taehyung, the crown prince." Registering the new information, Jimin bows immediately. 

"Greetings, Your Royal Highness. I apologize for the late greeting as I did not know who you were," Jimin apologizes.

Taehyung smiles, "No need. I understand..."

"Jimin," Jimin answers his unvoiced question.

"Jimin," Taehyung repeats the name. "Pleased to meet you."

"You too," Jimin responds. Taehyung directs a smile at Jimin before walking away. "I thought you said you and your brother don't see each other often," Jimin speaks as they continue walking.

"We don't," Jungkook says, swiftly walking.

"He seems nice," Jimin notes, behind Jungkook.

"I know." 


****


"You and I are different."

"What do you mean, Tae?" Jungkook's met with his brother's back only. 

"Mother keeps telling me that," Taehyung turns around. "You'll have to give up some stuff for me sometimes." Jungkook scrunches his nose at that, not understanding. His brother turns around and smiles. "But we can still be brothers. You'll just be my right-hand man."

Jungkook chews on his bottom lip. "That doesn't seem fair." His mother always told him that people should be equals. "It doesn't seem fun either," he complains.

Taehyung waves off his complaint. "It's okay. You'll understand when we grow up." 


****


Jungkook's eyes fly open as the memory fades. Shortly after that memory, Jungkook was sent away. He was only seven years old but the King shipped him off and far away. According to his mother, it was to prepare him as a prince. He wondered why that didn't happen to Taehyung. Jungkook returned after three years. 

Ever since he and Taehyung's relationship changed. Though only at ten years of age, he understood that Taehyung was more important than him. Taehyung understood that as well.

Jungkook looks at the other side of his bed where Jimin is. Since no one ever comes to visit Jungkook, Jimin just slept in the same bed as him. Jungkook scoots closer to him, cuddling him. Jimin stirs in his sleep before adjusting to Jungkook by throwing an arm over him. 

"Did you have a nightmare?" Jimin mumbles as he snuggles into Jungkook.

"Yes," Jungkook answers flatly, still thinking about the crown prince. 

Jimin presses a kiss to the crown of his hair. "Don't worry. It's just a nightmare," he reassures Jungkook, rubbing soothing circles on his back. Jungkook leans closer, doing his best to forget the "nightmare".

~~~~

"Think of me every night, okay?" Jungkook asks as he caresses Jimin's face.

"Of course," Jimin angles his head so that it fits perfectly in his hand. "Stay safe, okay?"

"Of course," Jungkook copies his words. 

Jimin pulls away from him to tighten the sash around his waist. He smooths out the wrinkles on Jungkook's outfit. "Looking so handsome like this, all the villagers will swoon over you," Jimin teases.

Jungkook laughs, "Too bad for them. I already have you." At this Jimin smiles happily. "Besides, it's your clothes that's making me so handsome." Jungkook got forced by the King to take a trip to the borders of their kingdom to check and make sure there are no troubles there. 

Jimin made him an outfit all by himself for Jungkook. Success at becoming a seamster for the Imperial Palace, Jimin has been able to learn more now that he has unlimited materials. Also, becoming popular amongst the nobles for his talent. Soon, all of his debt will be paid off. Jungkook couldn't be any happier. 

~~~~

Jungkook can't help it as glee paints his face upon arriving back at the Imperial Palace. The trip took longer than he expected. He misses Jimin so much. He can't wait to see him. 

Jungkook sprints to the servants' quarter. "Jimin-ah!" he calls excitedly as he gets closer to Jimin's room. He reaches Jimin's room, opening it. "Jimin, I..." Confusion engulfs him as an empty room stares back at him. All of Jimin's contents are no longer and the room is bare, stripped of everything as if he were never here.

Jungkook staggers back. 'Where's Jimin?' He looks around. 'Perhaps, Jimin is playing a joke on him.' So Jungkook waits and waits. 'Perhaps, he should ask his mother about Jimin's whereabouts.' Deciding that he should do that, he ambles out of the servants' quarters.

As he's exiting, he spots the servant that has the room next to Jimin's. Perhaps, he'd know where Jimin went. "Dae," Jungkook calls out, gaining the servant's attention.

"Yes, Your Highness," he bows to Jungkook.

"Do you know where Jimin went?" he questions. The servant, Dae, nods slowly. "Where?" Jungkook asks, concerned.

~~~~

'It can't be. Dae must be wrong,' Jungkook thinks as he walks down the halls of the unfamiliar palace. 'Why would Jimin be here? He'd never be here.'

He stops as he reaches the bedchamber. 'Jimin would never be here,' he repeats to himself as he pushes the door open a crack. His hand drops to his side and disbelief run through him as his dread is met.

In Taehyung's bedchamber is Jimin. He's sitting on the bed, looking out the window. Unbeknownst to Jungkook's presence. A hundred gold bracelets adorn his small wrists. His hair is held up by lavish hairpins. Heavy earrings hang from his ears. Rich silk sits on his skin. 

Tears blur Jungkook's eyes as he takes in the sight of his love, Jimin. 'It can't be. It can't be. This must be a mistake,' Jungkook lies to himself. 

"I didn't make you wait long, did I?" Jungkook's eye twitch as Taehyung makes his appearance. He sinks on the bed, next to Jimin.

"No," Jimin responds, back turned to Jungkook.

Taehyung smiles and takes hold of both of Jimin's hands. "Pretty," he gazes into Jimin's eyes. "All for me and only for me." A tear streaks down Jungkook's face as they kiss. 

~~~~

Jungkook sobs, clutching Jimin's handkerchief to his face. "For you," Jimin had said cutely.

"Red? A bold choice, don't you think?" Jungkook had said.

Jimin shakes his head, smiling. "Red just like the burning passion you hold."

Jungkook smiles. "And red like our love for each other."

A strangled breath leaves his throat as he clutches the handkerchief tighter. Not wanting to let him go. He balls his shaking hands, biting his bottom lip as tears continue to fall. "Jimin, don't leave me," he begs but no one hears him. He knows that it's already too late. 

He folds into himself, and his tears stain the beautifully crafted hanbok Jimin gifted him. 

He feels so lost. What happened? How did this happen? Jimin loves him. Jimin loved him before he left. What happened? Why is this happening? 

~~~~

Jungkook swings the sword, eyes puffy. He points the sword out at the tree. He saw Jimin today. The blade in his handshakes. Jimin saw him too. Jungkook throws the sword to the ground. But, he looked away. He runs his calloused hand through his hair. 

He can't do it. He can't bear to see Taehyung with Jimin. Jimin, who's the crown prince's Royal Consort. 

The sky's tears start to sprinkle down on him as his eyes well with tears. The only place he could think of to get away was the marketplace but there, Jimin's ghost followed him everywhere. With nowhere to go, Jungkook found this isolated field behind the palace. No one comes here. No one's broken like him.

Jungkook falls onto the ground. The grass cushions his fall. He lies on his back as he stares up at the gray sky. Rain falls into his eyes and in the form of tears, drip down his face. It was now that he truly understood what Taehyung had meant all those years ago. 'You'll have to give up some stuff for me sometimes.'

~~~~

Jungkook walks down the familiar path. He's been coming out to the field every day. To not just sit and wallow in his misery, he's been training. Moving actively decreases the chances of him thinking about Jimin. He stops walking as his ears catch an unfamiliar sound.

Following the sound, he walks into the field. The grass crunch under his feet and he stops when he spots the source of the sound. Prince Seokjin. He lifts his head from his hands, his face shiny with tears. Upon seeing Jungkook, his eyes widen in panic and he wipes away the tears, turning away from Jungkook.

Jungkook stares at the prince for a moment. The look in his eyes when he was crying... seems to mirror Jungkook's own eyes. He turns around, walking back out the field. 

The field is no longer only Jungkook's sanctuary. Seokjin's also been coming out to the field. Jungkook pays no mind to him, however. Seokjin doesn't seem to care about him either, bringing a book to read while Jungkook trains. 

Jungkook picks up the javelin. He wipes the dirt off the tip. His reflection stares back at him, dark and cold. Behind him, is a brighter aura. Jungkook lets his eyes glaze over Seokjin's reflection. He seems to be enjoying his book, as his eyes widen slightly a few times. 

'Why doesn't Taehyung like him?' Jungkook wonders. 'He seems perfect just like him. Handsome and with the right mannerisms.' Jungkook stops invading on the prince, lowering the javelin. He walks back to where he first threw the weapon, wanting to continue his practice of throwing. 

'Is he also hurt?' Jungkook steals a glance at Seokjin who's occupied in his book. 'Because whenever I see him, he's always in tears.' Jungkook throws the spear. This time, it hits closer to his target. Nonetheless, still not hitting the bullseye.

Jungkook takes short strides to pick up the spear, watching Seokjin. 'Prince Seokjin, husband of Prince Taehyung.' He pulls the spear out of the ground, walking back to the starting place. 'Just a thought.' He aims the spear, eyeing the target. 'How would Taehyung react...' His eyes dart over to Seokjin then back to the target. 'If someone were to steal Prince Seokjin. 

Though, he's doting on Jimin at the moment. Taking Seokjin would hurt his pride for no one ever takes from the crown prince.' Jungkook throws the javelin and it hits the dead center. 

~~~~

Jungkook frowns as he views the graying sky. It'll storm tonight. Not wanting to be caught up in the storm, Jungkook doesn't go to the field. He spends the rest of the evening in the Palace of Tiger Lily, though with nothing to do. 

Jungkook stares at the red handkerchief, wanting to burn it brighter than its color. He holds it out to the fireplace, only to pull it back. He closes his eyes as the sound of thunder accompanies the rain. With a heavy heart, he stuffs the handkerchief back in his robe. 

He's about to fall to slumber when lightning strikes. The rain patters against the roofs harshly. Every day, Jungkook has gone to that field and every day Seokjin was also there. Is Seokjin there tonight? The thunder shakes the ground violently. Jungkook looks out at the window. 

Before he knows it, he's dressed and walking through the halls. He shields his face as rain and wind beat against him. "Have you found His Royal Highness yet!?"

"No, and with this storm, who knows if he's alright!?" 

"Has someone informed the crowned prince?!"

The servants' concern fades as they walk further away. 'So, he did go,' Jungkook realizes. He heads towards the back of the palace and taking Noir with him, makes his way to the field. 

The deeper they go into the forest, the more Noir gets agitated by the storm. "I know, boy. We'll take cover." Jungkook pats the horse's head. "I just need to find someone first."

The horse neighs wildly, and Jungkook gets off. He does his best to scan the field for Seokjin but with no light and the raging storm, he can't see anything. He cups his mouth, "Your Royal Highness!" His voice is muffled by the weather. He drops his hands, rain blurring his vision.

He turns around, spotting a cave. "Come on, Noir," he takes his rein, leading him to the cave's entrance. Immediately, he notices the rushing water dripping into the cave. He furrows his brows, knowing that the cave could flood if the rain keeps up. 

Jungkook and Noir enters the cave. "Your Royal Highness," Jungkook starts, finding the missing prince. Seokjin jumps and momentarily lifts his face which is streaked with fresh tears. He doesn't respond and just turns away. "The whole palace is in a panic right now. You've been missing for the whole day. Not to mention this storm." 

Resting his head on his knees. "I'll go back when I want to. You can leave." His voice is deceiving. Sounding strong and fine but his face tells a different tale. Jungkook lowers himself, sitting a few feet away. With furrowed brows, "Your Highness, I already told you-" 

"I'm just staying here till the storm clears up. No need to repeat yourself, Your Royal Highness," Jungkook explains. 

After the silence passes and the two start to converse with each other, Jungkook keeps telling himself he's pretending. That all the things he says are false. But he finds himself speaking the truth more than he meant. He also finds out more about Seokjin. 

That behind the happy front he puts up, he's also suffering from Taehyung's action. That behind the good-looking face lies a conflicted emotion. Jungkook envies him. As he lets slip only a small bit of information about how he felt with Taehyung, Jungkook noted that he's not hostile. He's just confused and saddened. Unlike Jungkook. 

As time goes by, Jungkook starts to cross paths with Seokjin more than intended. He learns more about the prince. Learning that despite the composure he seems to hold, gets easily flushed. Jungkook finds himself purposely acting certain ways to see the crimson of his ears. 

What he doesn't find is the smile that keeps making an appearance on his own face as he spends more time with Seokjin. The more time spent with Seokjin, the more Jungkook wonders, 'How was he not perfect enough for Taehyung?'

~~~~

Jungkook could hear Seokjin's slight gasp as the view of the water channel came into view. 

He masks his surprise as Seokjin tugs at his sleeve like a child. "Can we go on one of the canoes?" Excitement lines his voice and his face. Jungkook's eyes linger, not used to this side of him. 

Turning towards the canoe, he nods, "Mmh."

Jungkook gets into the canoe first while Seokjin's wide eyes scan everything. He looks down and Jungkook offers his hand. Jungkook looks away as Seokjin sees his hand, unable to meet his eyes. However, Seokjin ignores his outreached hand. Jungkook feels heat come to his cheeks at the decline. The canoe dips unevenly as he steps in. 

Without another second, Seokjin grabs his hand. Jungkook smiles as Seokjin does so, amused by his reaction. 

Upon being seated, Seokjin pulls his hand back. Jungkook paddles as the prince take in everything with his innocent eyes. 

~~~~

Jungkook watches as Seokjin tugs at a lotus flower in the water. He smiles as he brings the flower to his face. 'Happiness looks good on him,' Jungkook notes. Abruptly, Seokjin raises his head. Jungkook whips his head to the other side, afraid that he was caught staring. 

"Jeon," he hears Seokjin pronounce softly. Jungkook turns back to him. "Have you heard of the tale of the Lotus Flower?" 

He shakes his head, "Would you tell me, Jin?" 

Jungkook listens closely as he tells him the tale, seeming to believe it. He holds the flower out to Jungkook. "I count seven droplets," Seokjin tells him.

"Then, make a wish," Jungkook says, not sure why Seokjin told him that. 

Seokjin flushes as he shakes his head. "I'm giving the wish to you as a thank you for bringing me here." Seokjin's gaze stays on the flower. "Thank you for making me feel better." 

He holds the flower out to Jungkook with both hands. Jungkook stares. 'Why does Prince Taehyung not care for him?' His eyes trail to Seokjin's face. His eyes are on the flower as if not wanting to meet Jungkook's eyes. 

"Your High-"

Without thinking, Jungkook places a hand on top of Seokjin's. "Don't call me that right now," he says faintly. Seokjin parts his lips but then closes them. "If it weren't for you, I wouldn't even know of this tale. Therefore, you should make the wish."

"But if it weren't for you, I wouldn't have stepped out of the palace and wouldn't have been able to experience so many new things. Ergo, you should have the wish as a token of my appreciation," Seokjin says, quickly.

Jungkook sighs, "How about we both make a wish?" There's no way to change Seokjin's mind that's driven by a good heart.

Seokjin presses his lips together, contemplating. "The tale didn't list that as a possibility." 

Jungkook shrugs, "Well, we can add to the tale." 

Seokjin doesn't seem satisfied at first but agrees anyway. Jungkook conceals his smile as they both close their eyes to cast the wish. As Seokjin makes his wish, Jungkook opens his. His eyes glaze over Seokjin's relaxed face. 'I don't understand how a person can have such a true and good heart.' Jungkook looks down at his hand that's still on top of his. 'I'm sorry,' he closes his eyes. 'When the time comes, please forgive me.'

~~~~

Jungkook wakes up, feeling the pain from the tiger's scratch on his back still. He sits up, shivering as he's still shirtless. He looks to his side where Seokjin is passed out, damp cloth in his hand. Jungkook touches his damp cheek. Seokjin must've been wiping him down. 

Jungkook's lips form a thin line. He and Seokjin have been getting closer. To bring them even closer, Jungkook even joined the King's hunting trip(something he wouldn't ever have done if it weren't for Seokjin). Jungkook lifts Seokjin slightly, wanting to adjust his sleeping position. That way his body won't ache when he wakes. 

He freezes as Seokjin leans into him, head resting on his chest. His warm breath hits his bare chest. 'Why?' Jungkook gulps as he looks down at Seokjin, eyes the only thing moving. 'Why am I feeling this way?' Jungkook ignores the look of discomfort on Seokjin's face as he sets Seokjin back down on the hard, cold rock. 'I'm the bad guy. I'm playing him. I'm a jerk. That's all it is. Pretend.' 

Jungkook wraps his arms around himself, turned away from Seokjin as he recalls how they got lost. 'If only Jin had left me as I told him to, he wouldn't be here right now. He would be safe.' Jungkook lowers his head onto his arm. 'But he chose to stay with me. Why?' Guilt replaces the cold touch on him. 

~~~~

Jungkook's breathing is loud in his ears as he runs back to the village with Eun on his back. 'Don't go anywhere. Stay here and stay awake,' his words ring in his head. He hopes those words weren't his last words to Seokjin. The memory of Seokjin lying on the ground with blood coming from his lips comes to Jungkook and he runs faster. 

A group of men comes into view and they rush over to Jungkook and Eun, recognizing Eun. They're the villagers that left. They're full of questions but Jungkook doesn't have time to answer, handing Eun off to one of them before running towards the village. 

He arrives at the village and there is a crowd around Seokjin. He rushes to his side. "Jin!" he calls out desperately, noticing that he's no longer conscious. He takes hold of Seokjin's hand which is still warm. "Jin," he tries again. 

Lightly, Seokjin's chest rise then down, and Jungkook could breathe again. The villagers lead Jungkook as he carries Seokjin to the doctor's hut. "You're going to be okay, Jin. You're going to be okay," Jungkook whispers as he looks down at Seokjin.

~~~~

Jungkook smiles as he watches Seokjin toss the ball with Yeojin. Realizing what he's doing, he turns away. He bites his inner cheek. 'I'm just glad he's fine,' Jungkook thinks to himself. 'Yet, I can't help but think he's been avoiding me all day.' He turns back to Seokjin. 

'He looks great in the new clothes. He looks like one of the villagers.' Jungkook smiles as Seokjin makes an exaggerated expression that makes Yeojin double over in laughter. 'Not Prince Seokjin. Just Jin.' 

"Jeon," Jungkook stands straighter as Chief Lai walks over to him. 

"Yes, Chief Lai," he turns towards the chief. 

"Aren't you going to participate?" the chief nods towards the group of mostly youths tossing balls. "This ball toss tradition is usually an act of courtship. You'd ask someone you're interested in to toss the ball with," he informs Jungkook. 

"Oh," Jungkook's eyes trail back to Seokjin. "I see." 

After the chief leaves, Jungkook contemplates asking Seokjin or not. 'How should I approach him? What should I say exactly? Can I toss the ball with you or may I toss the ball with you? Should I wait until he's finished with Yeojin? What if someone else asks him before I do?' Jungkook stops his racing thoughts, deciding that he should just go now.

He takes a step towards Seokjin and then another, pushing back his nerves. He's about to turn back but then the ball Seokjin and Yeojin were tossing comes rolling towards him. Jungkook's cold feet go away as he bends down, letting the ball roll into his hand. 

With the ball in his hand, he takes a few more steps towards Seokjin whose attention is on Yeojin. His faint nerves start to come back but he pushes them away just in time for when Seokjin turns around. He has a soft smile on his face and that immediately melts all of Jungkook's worry away.

Seokjin looks back down at Yeojin as Jungkook walks up to them. He doesn't glance at Jungkook even when he reaches them. Jungkook limits his thoughts, not wanting to panic. He bends down to be at eye-level with Yeojin. "May I toss the ball with Jin?" The little girl looks between the two before smiling and nodding. Jungkook smiles back and pats her head. 

She goes back to her mother and Jungkook stands. He feels a little timid but does his best to not let it show. "Do you want to start?" he asks. His eyes fall on Seokjin whose eyes don't come near him. Jungkook's confidence staggers a bit but he waits. After silence has made its presence well-known, Jungkook accepts the fact that Seokjin does not want to. 

He picks up Seokjin's hand and returns the ball. "If you don't want to with me, then it's fine." He dismisses the emotion that now replaces his euphoria, walking away and pretending nothing happened because nothing did happen. Except for the aching in his chest. 

'It's okay. It's not like I wanted to toss the ball with him. It was just pretend,' Jungkook lies to himself.