Chapter Five

For The Reason That

Seokjin places a hand over his mouth, yawning. His feet are sore and heavy as if rocks are tied to them. Up ahead is Jungkook’s whose steps are sturdy and fast. “How are you not exhausted?” Seokjin thinks as he tries to catch up to Jungkook.

 

“I do this often so I’m used to it,” Jungkook says. Seokjin’s face heats up as he realizes he said that out loud. Seokjin squeezes his eyes shut, scolding himself in his head. “If you want, we can take a break.”

 

“I’m fine,” Seokjin says, wincing as he takes another step. He hopes he doesn’t start developing a limp. He looks back up, almost bumping into Jungkook. Since when did he catch up? 

 

Jungkook continues walking with Seokjin following slowly behind. Somehow, now Seokjin was able to keep up with him. Maybe Seokjin was just imaging the pain in his feet earlier. 

 

Seokjin momentarily stops walking, still feeling the soreness of his feet. Then, he looks back at Jungkook. His steps had slow even more. Seokjin takes in a deep breath before he starts walking again. 

 

Despite Jungkook’s steps that are slower than a snail, Seokjin still can’t catch up. He’s too prideful to ask Jungkook to wait for him so he keeps his mouth shut and walks on, feeling pain every step.

 

‘I’m not that inactive. It’s just walking. Why am I making such a big deal of it?’ Seokjin scolds himself. Seokjin looks straight ahead at Jungkook. Shockingly, the gap between them is smaller. No way could it be that Seokjin caught up with him. 

 

Seokjin’s eyes drift down to Jungkook’s feet which are not even taking small steps anymore. They’re just shuffling now. 

 

Heat rushes to Seokjin’s face as he realizes what Jungkook is doing. He’s slowing down to not leave Seokjin behind. 

 

Flabbergasted, and not seeing clearly due to the dark, Seokjin trips over something. He stumbles and hits Jungkook’s back. Jungkook stops walking and turns around, meeting Seokjin who has his head lowered, embarrassed. Seokjin’s ready for any snarky comment Jungkook has to throw at him. 

 

What he isn’t ready for is Jungkook to lower himself to an almost squat. “Get on my back,” he orders, staring straight ahead. 

 

Seokjin feels even more shameful. Someone who is five years his junior is offering to carry him! Seokjin huffs. “I said I’m fine,” he says meekly, the opposite of what he was going for. 

 

He stumbles past Jungkook. “H-hey, Jin,” Jungkook calls after him. Seokjin ignores him, trying his very best not to limp. Jungkook catches up to him in no time. Seokjin can sense Jungkook looking at him but he continues walking. Well, trying to. 

 

Then, Jungkook’s hand wraps around his arm, stopping him from moving forward. Seokjin turns to him, keeping his face neutral. “What?” He asks, ignoring Jungkook’s hand on his arm.

 

“You don’t have to pretend around me,” Jungkook says, not meeting Seokjin’s eyes. 

 

Seokjin’s face softens. He turns back, looking forward. “It’s getting late, we should get going.” He starts limping forward and Jungkook follows beside him, defeated. 

 

Seokjin sighs internally. Very slowly, Seokjin allows himself to hold onto Jungkook’s arm for support. Jungkook stiffens for a second, taken aback by Seokjin’s action. However, he isn’t frozen long before he starts walking again. This time, closer to Seokjin. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin raises his arms, as the seamstress takes a look at the sleeves. Outside, he has a look of calmness and collectedness. Yet, inside, he’s vacillating between the two options he has posed for himself. 

 

Option one, stay in the Palace of Rumex and read, play his gayageum, learn new dishes, or sew. He hasn’t sewed for a while. How can he lack off so much? If he wants to get better, he needs to practice it more. 

 

Option two, don’t do anything productive and ask Jungkook to take him out of the palace again. 

 

Seokjin pouts, knowing the better and should-be-chosen option. He shakes his head. ‘I shall work on my sewing skills. If I work on it the whole week, I may be able to make a handkerchief for Prince Taehyung. Then, a couple of weeks after that, maybe I’ll be talented enough to make him an outfit.’ Seokjin smiles, contempt with option one. 

 

After the seamstress finishes his fitting, he starts preparing the materials needed for sewing. Seokjin sits outside in his pavilion as he works. The fresh air helps him feel relax. He feels so energetic and determine. He’s sure if he works hard, he’ll be able to finish half of the handkerchief.

 

Hours passed by, and Seokjin sighs. He managed to get the handkerchief close to perfect, only to prick his finger, and now there was a big red spot on it. Even if he washed it, it’s no guarantee the blood will completely vanish. He discards it. 

 

He picks up a new cloth to start when Hyeon comes to the pavilion. “Your Royal Highness, take a break and eat lunch first,” Hyeon sets down a tray on the table. 

 

“Okay, Hyeon. Just leave it there. I’ll eat it after I finish this,” Seokjin tells her, immersed in the handkerchief.

 

“No,” Hyeon says, snatching the cloth and needle from Seokjin. “You should eat to regain your energy,” Hyeon states as Seokjin’s about to order her to give the cloth back. 

 

Seokjin turns towards the tray. “Fine, I’ll eat right now.” Hyeon beams, setting the cloth off to the side.

 

As she starts presenting the dishes to Seokjin, she realizes something. “I didn’t even bring a drink. Silly me. What do you want to drink, Your Royal Highness?” 

 

“Water’s fine with me,” Seokjin tells her, now immersed in the food.

 

“Okay then! I’ll be right back!” Hyeon sprints towards the kitchen, leaving Seokjin alone with the food. 

 

Seokjin munches on the food happily. As he scoops some rice into his mouth, he notices something sticking out of the rice. Seokjin sets down his spoon, swallowing the last of the food in his mouth. He reaches for the mysterious thing in the rice. 

 

A scroll of paper? Seokjin unrolls it. His eyes widen as he reads the words, ‘I’ll be waiting at the same place.’ 

 

‘He’s going today?’ Seokjin thinks. ‘And he invited me along.’ Seokjin smiles. He does want to go back to the marketplace. He wipes his smile away. ‘No, I have to sew Prince Taehyung’s handkerchief!’

 

“Your Royal Highness,” Hyeon calls, arriving with the glass of water. 

 

Seokjin acts fast, slipping the piece of paper into his sleeve. As he eats and converses with Hyeon, he could feel the small piece of paper throbbing under the robe the rest of the meal.

 

~~~~

 

Sure enough, Jungkook was leaning against the wall, waiting for him. He’s dressed differently from last time. He’s in greenish-gray tattered clothes. A gray cloth wraps around his forehead. He stands up straight, catching sight of Seokjin. “Does your feet still hurt?” Jungkook asks as Seokjin stands in front of him. 

 

Seokjin was not expecting that to be the first thing he’d say. “No, they’re fine,” he replies. “Let’s go.” He heads out of the palace first. If he lingers any longer, he’ll start to second-guess himself. 

 

Seokjin looks up at the trees, the visible color change in their leaves brings a nostalgic feeling to him. The last time he saw autumn leaves was at home, right before he received the news of marriage. 

 

He wonders if his parents have received his letters yet. He sent so many, he lost count. Once winter rolls around, it’ll be one year since he left home. One year. Seokjin sighs. “What’s bothering you, Jin?” 

 

Seokjin visibly flinches upon hearing Jungkook’s voice. He had forgotten the lad was with him. “N-nothing,” Seokjin stutters. A little embarrassed of being so startled, Seokjin hurries his steps. “Since when did you start leaving the palace so often?” he asks Jungkook, as they get farther from the Imperial Palace. 

 

“Since birth,” Jungkook replies casually. 

 

Seokjin shakes his head, “No way would your parents let you leave the palace at such young age.” 

 

Jungkook smiles, “Maybe I was exaggerating. More like at five years of age.” Seokjin raises his brows, surprised at his answer. He turns to look at Jungkook who seems to be telling the truth. “What? Did your parents not let you go out until you were eighteen?” Jungkook asks jokingly.

 

Upon seeing Seokjin’s reaction, his eyes widen. “No way. You weren’t allowed to go until you were eighteen?” 

 

Seokjin looks away from Jungkook’s eyes. “My parents were protective since I was their youngest child. There’s nothing wrong with that,” Seokjin says, defending his parents. 

 

“You’re the youngest in your family?” Jungkook asks, not believing it. Seokjin nods, not understanding why Jungkook seems to be taken aback by this. “You don’t seem like it,” Jungkook says simply. 

 

Seokjin tilts his head, “What makes you say so?” 

 

Jungkook moves closer to him, eyes examining him up close. Seokjin felt his breath hitch at the invasion of his personal space. Jungkook hums, eyes scanning. “No wrinkles, I guess you are pretty young.” 

 

At this, Seokjin pushes Jungkook with both of his hands, causing Jungkook to fall to the ground. Seokjin blinks as Jungkook groans. He’s never pushed someone before. Never even killed a bug before. Seokjin’s befuddled at his action which caused pain to another living being. 

 

“A-are you hurt?” Seokjin asks sheepishly as he bends down to help Jungkook up. 

 

Jungkook stares at him for a second before bursting into laughter. At this, Seokjin feels more flushed. “I don’t understand. You,” Jungkook points a finger at him. “Pushed me. Yet, here you are, all worried about me.” 

 

Seokjin blinks. “Well, that’s because of what you said,” he defends himself. “What kind of person goes looking for people’s wrinkles? That’s not very polite. Especially for someone who’s of royalty. I bet you have some wrinkles of your own as well so I don’t know why you think it’s perfectly fine if you search for wrinkles in someone who’s five years your senior,” Seokjin rants. He stops after realizing what he said. Mouth agape like a fish, Seokjin feigns an apology, “I apologize for stepping out of line.”

 

Instead of being offended or angry, Jungkook has a look of amusement on his face. “You know,” Jungkook leans back, arms supporting him. “You don’t need to apologize for speaking your mind.” 

 

Seokjin presses his lips together before releasing, “But what I said was rude.”

 

“But that’s because I was rude to you first,” Jungkook says, eyes meeting Seokjin’s. They both look away. “What I’m trying to say is, I was joking about the wrinkles. You don’t seem like the youngest since you’re so obedient and responsible,” Jungkook says as he stands up. “Unlike me.” 

 

Seokjin feels heat come to his face at the compliment. Jungkook dust the dirt off of himself. “Also that, you don’t need to be a prince in front of me. Just be Jin,” Jungkook gives a hand to Seokjin who is still crouching on the ground.

 

Seokjin feels a foreign feeling in his chest as he takes Jungkook’s hand, standing up. “And you’ll just be Jungkook to me?” Seokjin asks. Not Prince Jungkook. Not his brother-in-law. Just Jungkook. 

 

Jungkook nods. “Just Jungkook or Jeon depending on where we are.” 

 

Seokjin chuckles dryly, not used to joking around so much. “Right.” Seokjin lets Jungkook’s hand drop and continues forward. Maybe he should follow what Jungkook told him. Just be Jin. Not Prince Seokjin.

 

“Hurry, Jeon. You’re not getting burnt out already, are you?” he asks playfully, a smile on his lips as he looks ahead.  

 

~~~~

 

“What are they doing over there?” Seokjin asks Jungkook whose busy playing a game of yutnori. Jungkook gives a glance to the direction where a crowd is gathering. 

 

“Ah,” his eyes are wide as he watches his opponent’s outcome. “A popular writer probably came to do a reading,” Jungkook tells him, smiling when he sees that his opponent lost. 

 

“A scribe?” Seokjin beams. Could it be a writer that he knows? “Who?” he asks Jungkook, excited. 

 

Jungkook throws his yut sticks, “I don’t remember. A Kim something.” Seokjin frowns. There are many writers with that name. Seokjin looks back at the crowd, curious as to who could draw such a big crowd. “After I finish this game, we can go see,” Jungkook tells Seokjin.

 

Seokjin was already walking towards the commotion. He squeezed through, trying to get near the front where he’ll hopefully catch the face of the writer. He hears him before he sees him:

 

“Like all the dry leaves fall

Like all the things I thought would last forever are leaving

You are my fifth season 

Even if I try to see you, I can’t look”

 

“Autumn Leaves…” Seokjin recalls the title of the poem. One of his favorite poems was written by one of his favorite scribes. He looks up at the writer, Kim Namjoon. After he finishes, Seokjin makes sure to applaud him loudly. 

 

Everyone rushes to his side, to ask him questions concerning his works. Seokjin beams upon seeing that he had brought his latest book to sell. Seokjin wants to ask Namjoon some questions but right now, he’s more interested in the new book. 

 

He purchases it right away, and standing right there in the commotion, starts reading. Namjoon writes poetry and stories that circle philosophy. However, it is said that his new book won’t be like so. Instead, something new that the scribe has not written about before.

 

As Seokjin reads, his excitement dies down. The book was not at all what he was expecting. “Not too fond of my new work?”

 

Seokjin peers up, smiling sheepishly upon seeing Kim Namjoon. “Not at all. It’s just…” Seokjin struggles to find the right words. “Not something I see you writing.”

 

Namjoon doesn’t look offended, instead, nodding. He steps closer to Seokjin, taking the book out of his hands. “I wanted to challenge myself. Therefore, choosing to write about something everyone comes across with. Yet, each individual gets a different experience of it. Romance.” 

 

Seokjin doesn’t have a grudge against romance books. It’s just, they’re cliche, not realistic, and don’t teach you anything. Namjoon chuckles, “Yet, it seems that one of my readers dislikes the route I have chosen.”

 

Seokjin offers a polite smile. “I can’t judge until I’ve read the book. After I do so, I’ll tell you what I thought of it.”

 

Namjoon smiles, “Of course.” He hands the book back to Seokjin. “We’ll meet again when I come back this spring with my new book.” Before leaving, “One more thing. I also decided to write about destiny, something I think you’ll find interesting.” As Namjoon leaves, Seokjin looks back down to the romance book. 

 

~~~~

 

“Next time, just wait for me.”

 

“If I did wait for you, by the time you were done, he would’ve been gone,” Seokjin says as a matter of fact.

 

Jungkook rubs the back of his neck, flustered. “I just don’t want something bad to happen to you.” 

 

Seokjin dismisses this. “Well, I’m fine and in one piece,” he says, showing Jungkook a smile. Seokjin looks around their surroundings. Just nature, no other people. “Jeon,” Seokjin starts. Jungkook hums as a reply. “Won’t you get in trouble for bringing me out?” The thought has not cross Seokjin’s mind until today.

 

“Maybe.” Seokjin’s brows furrows. “Yet, no one has said anything so I’d say it’s fine,” Jungkook tells him, assuringly. They reach the back of the Palace of Tiger Lily. 

 

Seokjin fiddles with the sleeve of his shirt. Would it be fine if he asks Jungkook to take him somewhere else other than the marketplace? Maybe he shouldn’t. Already, going out with Jungkook like this for long periods a day is not exactly what he should be doing. 

 

As Jungkook’s busy unlocking the gate, Seokjin starts, “Can you-“ With a yank, Jungkook gets the gate open but with how much he was tugging it, it goes flying right into Seokjin’s face. 

 

Seokjin stumbles back from the impact, seeing stars. Jungkook gasps, “Are you alright?” 

 

Seokjin blinks a couple of times, nodding. “I’m good,” he squeaks, embarrassed for standing so close that he got hit. He feels more embarrassed as Jungkook’s worried doe eyes keep staring. “As I was saying, can you-“

 

“You’re bleeding!” Jungkook exclaims, pulling out his handkerchief and holding it to Seokjin’s nose. The red handkerchief turns a shade darker quickly. “Let’s get you inside,” Jungkook suggests.

 

Seokjin holds the handkerchief to his nose, tilting his head up. “I’ll go fetch the physician,” Jungkook says hurriedly, turning his back to Seokjin. 

 

Seokjin pulls him back, “No, don’t. I don’t want him to know that…” Seokjin’s words trail off as he meets Jungkook’s gaze. ‘I don’t want him to know that you and I were together,’ that’s what Seokjin was about to say. For some reason, he couldn’t say it upon seeing Jungkook’s face.

 

Jungkook nods. “You’re right. Come inside. At least until the bleeding has stopped.” Seokjin agrees and Jungkook leads him into a room. To his surprise, there aren’t many servants around. Only a few to which Jungkook calmly dismisses while Seokjin does his best to hide his face with the bloody handkerchief. 

 

They arrive at a guest room. While Seokjin sits on the bed, still with a bloody nose, Jungkook gets a cloth to which he starts wetting from the bowl of water he had asked a servant to get him. 

 

“Is it still bleeding?” Jungkook asks Seokjin who only nods. He could taste the metallic blood running down his throat, not wanting to open his mouth. Jungkook sits down beside him, holding the wet cloth to his nape. 

 

Seokjin’s eyes must’ve spoken for him because Jungkook explains, “My mother used to put a wet cloth on my nape when I got bloody noses as a child. Apparently, it helps stop the nosebleed.”

 

With Seokjin not being able to speak, the two sit there in awkward silence. 

 

Not tasting the blood as much as before, Seokjin asks, “What made you choose a red handkerchief?” A bold color choice for a handkerchief. Seokjin’s handkerchief is a baby blue. 

 

Jungkook doesn’t question the odd question. Instead, he’s silent for a bit before speaking, “Someone gave it to me as a gift.”

 

“May I ask who?” Seokjin’s eyes are on the young prince, curious as to who gifted him such gift. Red. Color of passion, heat, and love. 

 

Jungkook keeps his eyes on the wet cloth that he holds against Seokjin’s nape. “Someone who I was closed to,” he simply says. Then he glances at Seokjin, “Why did you ask?”

 

Seokjin eyes the dirtied handkerchief, “I apologize for ruining your gift. Therefore, I’ll make it up for you. Is there something that you want?”

 

Jungkook opens his mouth about to say something but then closes it. “No need for that. I didn’t even use the handkerchief much.” But Seokjin could tell he was about to ask for something when he first parted his lips. 

 

Seokjin turns so that they’re no longer sitting side by side but facing each other. He lowers the handkerchief, no longer feeling the blood. Jungkook still holds the wet cloth to the back of his neck.

 

“You were about to say something,” Seokjin notes. “What was it?” Jungkook part his lips but Seokjin intercepts. “And this time, just tell me truthfully. Nothing like, ‘No need to repay me’.” Jungkook smiles at his imitation of him.

 

“If you want to repay me this much then….” He purses his lips for a second, showing a dimple on his cheek. “Cook me a meal.” A meal? “In four days, make me lunch. And bring it to me…at the stables.” 

 

Seokjin’s not quite sure why he’s so specific about such a thing but agrees. “As you wish. Any food in particular that you want to eat?” 

 

“Surprise me,” Jungkook removes the wet cloth. 

 

“If you say so,” Seokjin stands up, holding the handkerchief awkwardly. “I’ll be taking my leave then. Thank you for letting me use your handkerchief.” He moves towards the door. 

 

Jungkook comes from behind him, putting his hand over Seokjin’s, stopping him from opening the door. Since they’re just the same height, Jungkook speaks right into his ear, “I apologize for accidentally making the door hit your face, Jin.” 

 

Seokjin feels heat come to his ears, a tingling to his ear comes along as well. Seokjin pushes the odd feeling away. He turns around, smiling a small smile. “Well, I did push you earlier today accidentally so I guess now we’re fair.” Jungkook chuckles and Seokjin doesn’t let his eyes linger long, pushing the door open. 

 

~~~~

 

 “Prince Seokjin.” 

 

“Yes, Your Royal Highness,” Seokjin smiles at Prince Taehyung. 

 

“Would you like to go on a hunting trip with me?” he asks. A hunting trip. That would mean being able to go out of the palace walls and seeing more of the kingdom. 

 

Seokjin calmly says, “I would be delighted to join you on your trip, Prince Taehyung.” A trip with just him and Prince Taehyung. That would be wonderful. They’ll get to spend time with each other. Just the two of them. 

 

“That’s great. Of course, Father will also come along. Some of the court officials and lords will accompany us as well. Surely, it’ll be a trip of fun,” Prince Taehyung tells him gleefully. Seokjin could feel himself deflate but offers a weak smile at the crown prince. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin smiles as he stirs the japchae around in the pan. Even though he had not even one taste, it was sure to be scrumptious. As he lets the japchae, (a dish of glass noodles and vegetables) sit on the fire, he takes the steamed rice off of the fire, scooping it into a bowl. He also takes the grilling beef and puts it into a container. 

 

He doesn’t want to admit it but he misses the feeling of cooking for someone other than himself. He used to cook for Prince Taehyung but… 

 

Seokjin’s reminded of the japchae still in the pan. He hurries to plate the dish. Once done, he puts the japchae, beef, and rice into a basket. Seokjin originally planned to send one of his servants to send the basket off. 

 

Yet, a small, small part of him wonders how the young prince has been. The two have not crossed paths nor gone out of the palace since the night Seokjin got a nosebleed. Seokjin, despite his guilty conscience, tells Hyeon that he’s going to drop off lunch to Prince Taehyung and won’t be long.

 

On his way there, Seokjin makes sure to avoid the halls where many people would take. Opting for the long way where he won’t be seen. When Seokjin finally arrives at the stable, he notices Jungkook right away.

 

Seokjin usually only sees Jungkook when they go to the marketplace where he’s usually dressed in rags. This time, however, he’s dressed in a dark navy blue hanbok with intricate gold patterning. The silk robe moves smoothly as Jungkook talks to his horse, nodding and feeding the animal. 

 

Seokjin doesn’t notice it as he stares longer. Somehow, fondness makes Jungkook look different in a better way. 

 

Seokjin shakes his head, scolding himself internally for staring. He steps out from his hiding stop, making himself seen. Jungkook’s horse notices first, looking towards him. Jungkook’s smile drops and he clears this throat, “I thought you had forgotten.” 

 

Seokjin steps towards him, “You offend me. I never make empty promises.” He holds the basket out to Jungkook. “Here’s what you asked for, Your Highness.” Jungkook makes a grim expression to which causes Seokjin to laugh. “I mean, Jeon,” Seokjin corrects himself.

 

Jungkook takes the basket, “Thank you, Jin.” Seokjin nods, turning on his heels. Before he could take a step, “You’re leaving?” 

 

Seokjin turns back around, “Yes…” All he was to do was bring the meal to Jungkook. 

 

Abashed, Jungkook looks at the ground, “Well, I…” Then in a stern and demanding tone, looks straight at Seokjin. “How do I know that you didn’t poison me?” 

 

Seokjin’s brows shoot to the sky at the accusation. He collects himself before defending himself, “First off, if I were to kill you, I would be heavily punished. Secondly, if I murder you, I wouldn’t choose to use poison.” Seokjin holds back laughter from his second reasoning. 

 

Jungkook seems shocked at his response. “Well, then, you do still want to murder me,” the stubborn prince says.

 

Seokjin chuckles before suggesting, “Then would it comfort you if I try the food before Your Highness.” Despite the unwanted title, Jungkook nods. He goes over to the more grassy area where a blanket is laying. 

 

Seokjin follows suit, sitting next to him but cautiously looking around them for any onlookers. “Don’t worry. All the ladies are having tea and the men are discussing politics and economics,” Jungkook informs him as he takes out the dishes.

 

“Then why are we here?” Seokjin questions. 

 

“I got invited but I chose not to go,” Jungkook tells him, opening the lid to the japchae. “But for you,” he looks away from the dishes and at Seokjin. “You weren’t invited?” he asks, a playfulness glint to his eyes.

 

Seokjin struggles to find something to say but ends up throwing a glare at Jungkook who just grins. Seokjin grabs the rice bowl from him, and with chopsticks munch on some. He swallows exaggeratedly, making sure Jungkook was watching. “See,” Seokjin gestures to his alive self, “no poison.”

 

Jungkook squints his eyes, doubtful, “See but poison takes time to work its magic.” He pushes the japchae to Seokjin, “In the meantime, try the other dishes.” 

 

Seokjin tries all the dishes with Jungkook’s suspicious eyes on him. ‘Why would I kill you? You were the one who took me out of this suffocating palace. The only one who I don’t fake a smile around,’ Seokjin thinks yet doesn’t voice.

 

At last, Jungkook starts eating the dishes. However, demanding Seokjin stay in case the food is poisoned. Seokjin doesn’t have the energy to fight him and obeys. Jungkook nods as he takes a bite of the grilled beef, “Not only is this edible but it's palatable.”

 

Seokjin hides his flattered smile, “If it were poisoned, it wouldn’t taste this good.” Seokjin looks at Jungkook, confused when he holds the pair of chopsticks out to him. 

 

“You eat too. I don’t think I can finish all of this,” Jungkook utters. 

 

“You eat it,” Seokjin pushes the chopsticks back to him. “I only made one portion.” 

 

Jungkook looks down at this food, “More like five portions.” 

 

“It’s not…” Seokjin argues weakly. He looks back down at the succulent beef. “But if you insist then it won’t hurt to take a couple of bites.” He ignores Jungkook’s victorious smirk and bites into his perfectly grilled beef. 

 

~~~~

 

As Jungkook cleans up, Seokjin goes over to the horses, greeting Caramel. He notices Jungkook’s horse that’s as black as the night. 

 

Jungkook comes up to him, handing him the basket to which Seokjin takes. “What’s his name?” Seokjin asks, eyeing the stallion. 

 

Jungkook ruffles his horse’s mane, “Noir.” 

 

“Noir, as in the color black in French,” Seokjin notes. “That’s a pretty basic name. You just named him after the color he is.” 

 

“Noir is a cool name and it means more than just the color black. It also means cynical, fatalism, and ambiguity,” Jungkook justifies. “What about you? What’s his name?” Jungkook gestures to Caramel. 

 

Seokjin smiles at his horse, “Caramel.” 

 

Jungkook scoffs, “And you were insulting me for naming my horse a color when you did just the same.” 

 

Seokjin flushes, “Caramel’s a nice name. It’s also a delectable syrup.” He turns away from the horses and to Jungkook. “If that’s all, I’ll be taking my leave.” Seokjin doesn’t wait for Jungkook to say anything, turning around and hurrying back.

 

He’s been gone for longer than he should be. He doesn’t want to make Hyeon worry or start asking too many questions. 

 

Seokjin sneaks a peek at Jungkook and giggles softly as he witnesses Caramel ignoring Jungkook’s attempt to befriend the horse.