Chapter Eight

For The Reason That

Seokjin watches the dancing crowd around the bonfire. They dance to the drums and flute that a group of villagers is playing. Smiles on their faces and laughter to accompany each other. 

 

His eyes follow Eun, whose hard eyes are no more. She’s smiling brightly at Jungkook who is dancing with her. The couple has been together since Seokjin had refused to ball toss with Jungkook. 

 

Eun catches Seokjin staring and waves, urging him to come to join them. Jungkook follows her gaze, watching Seokjin as well. Seokjin shakes his head, gesturing to his bowl of untouched noodles. She frowns but nods, going back to dancing. 

 

Seokjin tries to eat the noodles but his attention keeps straying to the group of dancers. The music ends and Seokjin still has not finished his bowl of noodles. 

 

“Friends and family, come gather around the bonfire,” Chief Lai beckons them. 

 

The villagers all make their way to the bonfire like the chief tells them. Seokjin included. He notices Jungkook and Eun who are sitting together. He’s about to head to the empty seat next to Mun, however, Eun notices him and points to the spot next to Jungkook. 

 

Seokjin offers a weak smile and sits down next to Jungkook, scooting to the edge of the log, leaving an awkward space between them. 

 

Like Seokjin was told this morning, one of the villagers starts to tell a folktale. 

 

 

****

 

 

“Long, long ago before there was the sun and the moon, there lived a prince. He was the most handsome man anyone has ever seen. People came far and wide just to see him. He was so ethereal that even the gods were envious of him. 

 

Many kings, queens, princes, and princesses, came to ask for the prince’s marriage but he denied them all. For the reason that when he was a child, was cursed by a witch that whoever he falls in love with will die a slow and painful death. 

 

One day, the prince spoke to the dove outside his window, “Oh, beautiful dove, advise me in what to do. No matter how much I deny love, the more admirers I get.” 

 

The dove spoke back, “My, with how stunning you are, living in this ginormous kingdom, new people will fall in love with you every day. It’ll be a never-ending loop, Your Royal Highness.”

 

The prince nods. However, now not knowing what to do. “What shall I do then, Dove?” he asks the white dove desperately. “I need not keep this cycle going for fear that I may fall in love with one of my courtiers.” 

 

“Come live with me in the forest, Your Royal Highness. There will not be any humans there. You’ll be safe from the curse,” the dove suggests.

 

The prince agrees and that night, while the people slept, ran to the forest with the help of the dove. Just as the dove promised, there were no humans. Only animals. 

 

A year passed and the prince became very lonely despite the friendly woodland creatures. He yearned for a human friend. 

 

One day while the prince was picking berries, he comes upon a person. He was injured and not awake. The prince, with the help of his animal friends, takes the man to the prince’s little hut.

 

The man did not wake. Yet, the prince continued to take care and treat him. Even though this man was asleep, the prince couldn’t stop admiring his handsome features. 

 

On the third day, the man wakes up. He falls in love with the prince, at first sight, thanking him for saving his life. Now, in love with the prince, the man doesn’t leave despite being healed.

 

He continues to stay with the prince who teaches him how to live in the forest. The prince doesn’t notice it as his heart starts to open up. 

 

On a day that the prince and man are making lunch, knights from the kingdom come, demanding that the prince returns home. The prince refuses, wanting to stay with his animal friends and the man that he loves. 

 

The prince and the man try to run away. Deers, bears, birds, and any animal in the forest come to help the prince. However, the knights kill all the animals that come in their way, chasing after the prince and the man.

 

The knights catch up to them, capturing the prince while ending the life of his lover. The prince cried and cried as the knights dragged him back to the kingdom. His lover left alone in the forest blood, bleeding as he slowly dies.

 

That night by his window, the prince spoke to the sky, “Please, Sky, protect my lover from death. Send help to him and aid to his injuries.” 

 

The sky starts to rain, “I am sorry but there is nothing I can do, Your Royal Highness.” 

 

The gods who had witnessed the prince’s tragic love come up with a way to make the lovers be together. The prince can become the sun and his lover, the moon. They’ll see each other every day, however, can not meet for the witch’s curse is still bounded to them.

 

The only time they can meet is during the eclipses.

 

 

****

 

 

Everyone applauds as the storyteller finishes. Seokjin included. He has never heard of this tale before, intrigued. Is the ending a happy ending or a sad ending? Most tales that he heard have a clear ending. However, this one is more debatable. 

 

In the end, the prince and his lover become the sun and the moon, able to see each other two times per day. Yet, they still can’t be together for the witch’s curse. 

 

Another villager volunteers to speak. This time, telling a scary story that’s meant to target the children into being well-behaved. Seokjin has to suppress his laughter at the storyteller who gets into his role of being the monster. 

 

After a couple of more stories, everyone gets served dinner. As they’re eating, the chief stands up, holding a cup of wine. “This celebration is for the brave men who saved my dear daughter, Eun.” He raises his cup, “Let’s drink to Jin and Jeon.” 

 

Everyone takes a sip from their cups. Including the children, who instead of wine, have water. The villagers cheer after doing so, digging into the feast, and talking amongst themselves.

 

Seokjin eats, tasting all the savory food. “I don’t feel comfortable letting you two go without anything. Are you sure you don’t want anything?” Chief Lai asks them for the hundredth time. 

 

Seokjin’s still munching his food so Jungkook answers, “We’re sure, Chief Lai. This feast is already being held for us. Nothing else is needed.” Seokjin swallows, looking at the chief whose eyes are on Jungkook.

 

“No one else as well, Jeon?” Chief Lai questions, confusing Seokjin.

 

“Come again,” Jungkook says, also not catching on. 

 

He laughs, jolly, and gestures to Eun. “If you ask for Eun’s hand in marriage, I won’t deny. I’ll be happy to have you as my son-in-law. Do you want to marry Eun?” Eun glares at her father, shy at how he’s asking this out in the open with many onlookers. Many villagers sitting close enough stop talking, listening in on their conversation. 

 

“Ah,” Jungkook realizes. Even though there’s the fire, Seokjin can see the pink hue on his cheeks. He suppresses his laughter by taking a bite out of his rice ball. “I apologize but I can’t agree to this marriage. I already have my heart set on someone.” 

 

“I see,” Chief Lai nods, pushing away his disappointment. He looks towards Seokjin whose quietly eating. “What about you, Jin? Will you be my son-in-law?” Seokjin almost chokes on the food in his mouth. 

 

He swallows, about to deny but not knowing what lie to use. He glances at Jungkook who is drinking from his cup of wine. Yet, Seokjin can see the slight upturned of his lips, enjoying Seokjin in the hot seat.

 

Seokjin can’t use the same ruse Jungkook did or it’ll be obvious. Wait, he doesn’t have to lie at all. “I apologize, Chief Lai. However, I’m already wedded.” 

 

Everyone who is listening looks shock by this. “Oh,” Chief Lai nods and Seokjin feels relief settle over him. “May I know who the lucky person is?” The relief runs away just as quickly as it came. Seokjin parts his lips to answer but no word comes out. His mind blanks with no lies to use.

 

Jungkook grabs Seokjin’s hand, shaking him out of his stupor. He interlocks their hands and looks at the chief. “You’re looking at him, Chief Lai,” Jungkook grins. 

 

Everyone’s eyes widen at the “reveal”. Seokjin included, whose lips are still parted. Jungkook turns to him, still with that grin of his. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin and Jungkook finally get away from the villagers who are swooning over them. Seokjin sighs, feeling guilt on his shoulders from lying to the kind villagers. He looks down at his and Jungkook’s hands which are still interlaced. 

 

Jungkook leads him by the hand to one of the blankets laid out on the ground. No one else is around, still at the bonfire. Only Seokjin and Jungkook are here. Seokjin tugs his hand out of Jungkook’s hold, sitting down on the blanket. He gazes up at the sky, noticing only a couple of stars.

 

Jungkook sits down beside him, leaving some space between him and Seokjin. It’s silent except for the music from where the villagers are. “What’s that?” 

 

Hesitantly, Seokjin looks away from the sky and at Jungkook whose eyeing the bag around his shoulder. “A bag,” he says, voice neutral, eyes going back to the stars. 

 

Jungkook chuckles, “I know that.” He scoots closer to Seokjin. “When did you get it?” Jungkook asks, observing the bag which was not with Seokjin before today.

 

“Today,” Seokjin answers, feeling flustered at Jungkook’s interrogation. He regrets carrying this with him. 

 

“What’s in it?” Jungkook pesters. “It looks heavy.” 

 

“It’s not heavy,” Seokjin insists, still refusing to look at Jungkook. 

 

“Can I see what it is?” Jungkook asks innocently. Seokjin presses his lips into a thin line, pulling the bag away from Jungkook. “Why not?” Jungkook questions as to which Seokjin doesn’t answer. “Did you steal something?” 

 

Seokjin turns to him, shock at his assumption. “Or course not! I don’t steal…” He defends himself, however, stops as he notices Jungkook’s smile. He feels heat come to his face, realizing that Jungkook purposely messed with him and he fell right for it.

 

Jungkook grins and lies down on his back, staring up at the stars. “You can get riled up easily, Jin.” Seokjin wants to defend himself but he stays silent as Jungkook continues. “I never saw you like one for confrontation.”

 

“What do you mean?” Seokjin asks quietly, listening to the chirping of the crickets.

 

“I was surprised to see you confront the group of bandits because,” Jungkook says lowly as if remembering. “You didn’t confront Lady Ahnjong when she was talking bad about you.”

 

Seokjin’s brought back to the Queen’s birthday celebration so long ago. He forgot but now that Jungkook’s bringing it back up, Seokjin realizes that that was the first time he and Jungkook met. Jungkook caught him when he fainted. 

 

“Of course I didn’t confront her,” Seokjin remembers the tears in his eyes after hearing the lady’s hurtful words. “I’m Prince Seokjin. If word got out that I fought with a lady, my parents would’ve been shamed for my upbringing.” 

 

Seokjin looks down at his hands. “Anyhow, I was too taken aback by her words to confront her,” he tells Jungkook truthfully. It was the first time he heard someone talk bad about him behind his back.

 

“What did she say exactly?” Jungkook asks carefully. 

 

Seokjin glance at him questioningly, “You already know, don’t you?” 

 

Jungkook shakes his head, “I only saw from afar. Two ladies gossiping and you hiding behind the corner, looking crushed. I put two and two together.” 

 

‘I don’t remember,’ is what Seokjin was about to say but he does remember and for some reason, he tells Jungkook. “They said that I’m not as handsome as people praise me to be. That my personality is bland and boring. Even the Queen was bored with me. I…shouldn’t be the one with the crown prince.” With Prince Taehyung. Mayhaps they were correct about that.

 

“You don’t believe them, do you?” Jungkook asks. Seokjin can’t answer. “I don’t.”Jungkook sits up, scooting closer to him, their elbows touching. “Although you seem very collected, calm, and even awkward at times. I like those qualities.” 

 

Seokjin’s eyes widen at Jungkook’s words, turning to look at him. “I also like when you speak your mind. When you be yourself and don’t fake a smile. When you laugh without hiding it.” Jungkook turns away from the stars, meeting Seokjin’s eyes. “You’re also quite good-looking.” Seokjin blushes.

 

“Something I dislike though is how you’re always nice to everyone. Especially the people who don’t deserve it. Also, how you’re always putting others before yourself,” Jungkook finishes, his pretty double eyelids blinking delicately. Almost as if not wanting to break their eye contact.

 

Seokjin’s eyes trail onto the bruise on Jungkook’s cheek. “Does your injuries still hurt?” Seokjin asks, changing the topic. 

 

Jungkook presses his lips together, bottom lip protruding. “I don’t think so.” 

 

A small chuckle leaves Seokjin’s lips. “You don’t think so?” Jungkook shakes his head. Seokjin looks back at the light purple bruise. “Really? I don’t believe it can heal so fast,” Seokjin says, doubting Jungkook. 

 

Jungkook takes his hand, making him jump a little. “If you don’t believe, feel free to touch it. It won’t hurt at all,” Jungkook says as he brings Seokjin’s hand to his cheek. 

 

“Jungkook,” Seokjin raises his voice, scanning around them for people. “Let go, this instant,” he tells Jungkook in a hushed but authoritative tone. 

 

Jungkook only grins, “Only if you believe me.” 

 

“I believe you,” Seokjin lies. 

 

“No, you don’t,” Jungkook detects his lie easily. 

 

Giving in, Seokjin shakily brings his index finger to touch the bruise. He pokes it and immediately, Jungkook howls, shocking him. Jungkook lets go of his hand, turning away, and hisses, “Why did you press so hard?” 

 

Seokjin blinks, confused for he merely even brushed the bruise. “I didn’t. You must be exaggerating…” Still so, Seokjin cups Jungkook’s cheek with the bruise, turning his face so he could examine the bruise. “Let me see it again.” 

 

Jungkook turns and Seokjin narrows his eyes at the bruise. “I’ll go get some ointment,” he informs Jungkook but then sees a rare smile on his face. Seokjin instantly pushes Jungkook, making him roll off the blanket. 

 

“Ow,” Jungkook whines, rubbing his shoulder. “What was that for?” Seokjin doesn’t answer. Instead, bursting into laughter at his new look which consisted of dead leaves in his hair. It doesn’t help that Jungkook looks completely lost.

 

“You look like someone’s rake,” Seokjin says, giggling as he picks the leaves out of Jungkook’s hair. “Serves you right for making a fool out of me,” Seokjin says sternly, throwing a glare at Jungkook. 

 

He pats the last leaf off from Jungkook’s shoulder before retreating his hand back. A group of villagers passes Seokjin and Jungkook waving and smiling at what they assume is a lovely couple. 

 

“Why did you lie to them back there?” Seokjin asks Jungkook. 

 

“About what?” Jungkook asks. “About us being married to each other?” 

 

Seokjin’s eyes enlarge, “Well, that I understand.” He tucks his hair behind his ear, “What I’m talking about is you denying marriage with Eun.” Seokjin recalls Jungkook and Eun being one’s company for the dance. “She’s a nice and pretty girl. You two were together all day. Why lie about,” Seokjin stops, remembering Jungkook’s words. “Having your heart set on someone already.” 

 

“I didn’t lie, Jin.” Seokjin can’t tell the tone of Jungkook’s voice nor the look in his eyes as he says so. But he doesn’t think Jungkook is telling the truth. 

 

Seokjin chuckles, brushing his denial off. “Then who’s the one that your heart is set on?” Seokjin smiles innocently as he dares Jungkook to lie. 

 

Yet, Jungkook just gazes at him. No sign of joking around at all. Not even a lie. Seokjin stops smiling. Jungkook blinks, “Someone oblivious to me.” 

 

Seokjin’s gaze wavers, not quite sure if Jungkook is lying anymore. “If I didn’t interfere, what would you have said to Chief Lai?” Jungkook asks him, pompous. His serious nature is gone.

 

“I didn’t need you to interfere,” Seokjin tells the stuck-up Jungkook.

 

Jungkook tilts his head, “Really?” He leans back on his arms. “Because I remember just seeing the wheels stop turning in your head.” 

 

Seokjin’s eyes bulge, “T-that didn’t happen. If you didn’t interject, I would’ve told the chief that I wasn’t interested and that I already have someone.” 

 

Amicably, Jungkook asks with a slight grin on his face, “And who is this someone?” He must think Seokjin is all-talk and doesn’t have a true answer.

 

Seokjin doesn’t look at Jungkook as he feebly answers, “Prince Taehyung.” For some reason, there’s now tension in the air. The light and comfortable atmosphere is now gone. 

 

Prince Taehyung. Frankly, Seokjin forgot about him until now. Prince Taehyung, who Seokjin’s heart belongs to. Who must be worried sick about him.

 

The sound of a flute carries by them, melancholy and wistful. Strings follow, supporting the heartache of the song. “My,” Jungkook starts. “What a hopeless song.” His voice, almost as hopeless and flat. 

 

Seokjin remembers the bag on him. He takes the bag off, looping it onto Jungkook who stares at him with a question. Seokjin moves away after successfully giving Jungkook the bag. “That’s for you.” 

 

He turns around, walking back to the house. A part of him wishes to turn around. A bigger part of him tells him to walk away. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin hears the instrument before he wakes. It’s muffled but somehow, loud enough for Seokjin to hear, even in his dream. His eyes fall on the empty mat on the other side of the room. 

 

The sounds of the instrument continue, and Seokjin doesn’t have to guess who’s playing it. He grabs a lantern, following the melody of the hulusi. It leads him to the stream. Seokjin hides behind a tree, listening to the beautiful melody. Peeking at the creator of the notes as he does so. 

 

Jungkook sits by the stream, his back turned to Seokjin. Although, Seokjin can’t see his face. He guesses that Jungkook must be feeling a little blue as he listens to the melody of the hulusi. 

 

Seokjin listens to the melody closely, leaning against the tree as he does so. 

 

‘Although, at first, I did not care to take notice of him. Did not even blink at him.’ Seokjin watches the young prince. ‘The longer I stay with him,’ Jungkook stops playing, lowering the hulusi from his lips. ‘the more he starts to appear in my thoughts.’ The hulusi that Seokjin gave him. ‘Why is that so?’

 

“What am I doing?” Jungkook speaks, staring up at the sky. Seokjin wonders the same thing for himself. “What am I thinking?” Jungkook looks down at Seokjin’s hulusi for some time. Then, he brings the instrument back to his lips, continuing the same melody from before.

 

‘All things set aside,’ Seokjin thinks. ‘Jungkook is great company, though he messes with me whenever the opportunity gives,’ Seokjin doesn’t realize it as his lips form a small smile. ‘I don’t have to hide myself from him.’ He glances up at the stars. ‘I could use a friend.’

 

A villager appears and Seokjin ducks away from his gaze. He yawns before yelling, “Jeon!” Jungkook stops playing, turning around to see the sleepy villager. “Haven’t you played enough for the night?” he says, however, not scolding entirely.

 

Jungkook smiles shyly and Seokjin covers his mouth to suppress his giggles. “Go get some sleep. You have a long trip tomorrow,” the villager reminds him. 

 

“Of course, I apologize for disturbing your sleep,” Jungkook says, as Seokjin tiptoes back to the house.

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin and Jungkook wake up bright and early, eating a meal with Chief Eun one last time before leaving. By the time they finish, most of the villagers are off. They give Seokjin and Jungkook lots of food, bidding them farewell. 

 

Mun and Eun lead Seokjin and Jungkook to the best route back to the main road, Mun showing the way. 

 

“If you just continue down this path, you’ll reach the main road. I’m sorry but this is only how far we’ll show you to,” Mun tells them. 

 

Seokjin smiles warmly at the boy. “This is already enough. Thank you, Mun and Eun, for everything.” Mun smiles back brightly. 

 

Eun steps forward pulling both Seokjin and Jungkook into an embrace. “Thank you for saving me, Jeon and Jin,” she thanks them. Then in a low whisper, “Really, thank you your Highnesses.”

 

Seokjin’s taken aback by this but keeps a calm expression as he sees Mun who’s still watching them. Eun steps back, bowing her head. She goes to her brother who waves at them. Together, the siblings turn back.

 

“How did she know?” Seokjin wonders aloud as they walk down the path. 

 

“Because we used our real names when we were fighting the bandits,” Jungkook laughs. “Not to mention us telling them that we come from the Imperial Palace as servants.”

 

“Oh, right…” Seokjin remembers his mistake of using Jungkook’s real name when he panicked. “I’ll be more careful next time, Jeon,” Seokjin says with a small smile. 

 

“Same for you, Jin,” Jungkook says back with the same smile reflected on his face.

 

~~~~

 

“About the whole tiger fiasco,” Jungkook starts. “Don’t bother to tell the others, okay?” 

 

Seokjin’s eyes widen at Jungkook’s request. “What do you mean? You got injured. We need a physician to treat you as soon as possible.” Sure, he found some herbs and it's been a couple of days since Jungkook got the wound but they should still get a physician to look at it.

 

Jungkook laughs, “Stop worrying so much. You’re going get wrinkles if you keep looking at me like that.” 

 

Seokjin pouts but stops furrowing his brows. “Why can’t I tell them?”

 

“You don’t need to,” Jungkok says, not quite answering Seokjin’s question. “Besides, they’ll be fussing over you.” 

 

Seokjin presses his lips together. ‘You’re a prince as well. Why would they not be worried about you?’ he thinks to himself. “Can you at least get checked by a physician when we return to the palace?” Seokjin asks faintly. 

 

Before Jungkook can answer, a voice yells, “Prince Seokjin!”

 

At the same time, Seokjin and Jungkook turn towards the voice. It was Lord Lee on his horse. Hearing Lord Lee’s shout, another horse comes to join Lord Lee. On the white horse was Prince Taehyung. His eyes visibly widen as he sees Seokjin and Jungkook. 

 

Prince Taehyung and Lord Lee ride towards them. Seokjin watches as Prince Taehyung stops his horse in front of him, getting off. He grabs Seokjin’s hands. “What happened? Are you harmed anywhere?” Prince Taehyung asks, frantic eyes scanning him. 

 

“I’m not hurt anywhere but…” Seokjin glances at Jungkook. “Never mind.” 

 

“Let’s get back to Lord Wang’s palace,” Prince Taehyung tells Seokjin. “Ride back on my horse with me.” He gets on his horse, waiting for Seokjin to do the same.

 

Seokjin gets on the back of the horse with the help of Lord Lee. “What about His Highness?” he asks. It seems like Jungkook just vanished into thin air with how no one seems to mind him. 

 

“Don’t worry, Your Royal Highness. Lord Yang also came to help search. He has an extra horse with him. Once we find him, then we’ll follow you and Prince Taehyung back,” Lord Lee assures him. 

 

Seokjin nods and wraps his arms around Prince Taehyung’s waist. As they ride towards Lord Wang’s palace, Seokjin’s reminded that Jungkook never answered his question. Hopefully, he’ll listen to Seokjin and get a check-up by a physician when they return to the Imperial Palace. 

 

Seokjin sneaks a peek behind his shoulder. Jungkook’s still in the same place, watching as Prince Taehyung takes Seokjin away. 

 

~~~~

 

The servants bow as Seokjin walk by. He hurries past them, brows furrowed. Keeping up with his pace was Hyeon who was carrying the tea that Seokjin prepared. The servants don’t question Seokjin’s presence, opening the doors even before he stops in front of them. 

 

“His Royal Highness, Prince Seokjin,” one of the servants calls as Seokjin steps foot into the room. 

 

Seokjin bows and he proceeds closer to bed. “How are you, Your Majesty?” 

 

Lady Yeona smiles, feeble. “Well, Prince Seokjin. No need to visit. Thus, is most likely just the common cold.” 

 

Seokjin nods. Still so, he turns towards Hyeon who hands him the tea bags. “I brought dried chamomile flowers along with some other tea leaves. Hopefully, they’ll help you get better,” Seokjin tells the Queen Consort. 

 

She smiles, gesturing for one of her servants to take the tea bags from Seokjin. “Thank you, Prince Seokjin.”

 

“No need to thank me, Your Majesty,” Seokjin says. If he were to get sick, Lady Yeona would be sure to visit him and do the same. Maybe even before the Queen does.

 

After some time, Seokjin leaves the Palace of Chrysanthemum. He won’t admit it out loud but on the way back, his eyes secretly search for Jungkook. He wonders if Jungkook did like he says and got the physician to check his injuries. Or if he’s been going out of the palace again. 

 

After all, it has been a week since they came back from the hunting trip. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin eats his lunch, contentedly. He mixes the rice into the broth, before taking a bite. He hums in delight. As he scoops more rice into the broth, he notices a tiny scroll of paper. 

 

He makes sure none of his servants are watching before he unrolls the scroll. ‘I’ll be waiting.’ 

 

Seokjin smiles at the little drawing Jungkook managed to fit in. A doodle of a tiger lily. He stuffs the piece of paper into his sleeve, going back to his lunch to which he hurriedly finishes. Once done, Seokjin walks as fast as he can to his room to get changed. 

 

“Why the rush, Your Royal Highness?” Hyeon asks, noticing his excited state. 

 

Seokjin fakes a yawn, “I want to take a nap. No need to make me dinner, for I overate during lunch. Also, no need to check up on me for the rest of the day.” Hyeon seems confused. Seokjin smiles brightly, “You look like you could use a nap yourself, Hyeon.” 

 

Hyeon scratches the back of her neck, “What if something happens when you’re asleep?” 

 

“Nothing will happen. You and I aren’t the only ones in this palace. Others are sure to wake us up if danger knocks on the door,” Seokjin assures Hyeon. “Now, go and rest for that’s what I’ll be doing,” Seokjin tells Hyeon before closing the doors.

 

He quickly changes out of his silk robe and into clothes more like those of commoners. Once done, he does his best to slip out of the Palace of Rumex without anyone noticing him. 

 

On his way there, he spots a familiar figure coming out of the Main Palace’s garden. Seokjin ducks behind a pillar as Prince Taehyung passes, along with his Royal Consort. Seokjin’s eyes trail after them. 

 

Realizing the quickly moving sun, Seokjin hurries to the Palace of Tiger Lily. There are fewer people around here so Seokjin doesn’t have to cower as much. His arms swing as he walks towards the back gate. 

 

Sure enough, Jungkook is waiting for him. His eyes fixated on a book in his hand. Upon hearing Seokjin’s footsteps, he sets the book down. “I was starting to think you wouldn’t come,” Jungkook says with a light smile on his face. 

 

“You thought wrong,” Seokjin says as he walks past Jungkook. “Make haste, the sun is about to set.” 

 

Jungkook chuckles at his eagerness, “Of course, Jin.”