Chapter 19

QUITS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One of the things that Lisa picked up over the past few days of not being able to dance and get rid of some of her endorphins was running. She either does this early in the morning — sun isn’t even up yet, or if she has free time in between classes when she fails to do her morning jogs.

 

Jongin, the protective bestfriend that he is, would also wake up early in the morning just so Lisa won’t jog around the town alone. No place is safe when hungry hyenas want to feast so it’s better to sacrifice his sleep than sorry and Lisa was thankful for that despite the several initial protests. She can never really win over Jongin when it’s about her safety.

 

Lisa has 3 hours of gap before her next class so she decided to run around the field or maybe even around the campus. She had been joining the daily practices of the track and field team when she has time so it isn’t a surprise for them to see her stretching with them — wearing a black running leggings under an above knee shorts, black and white running shoes, black dri-fit jersey shirt and her hair tied up in a high ponytail.

 

 

 

“No class?” Lisa remembers him, his name’s Jinwoo, one of the track and field’s super athletes.

 

Lisa nods, almost finishing her warm ups. “Yeah, 3 hours to waste to be exact.”

 

He smiles. “Cool. You can still tag along if you want to.”

 

“I’d love that. Same route?”

 

“Yes, just in the campus still. We will have sprinting throughout the course by the way. You ready?”

 

Lisa beams. “Absolutely.”

 

 

 

 

And off they did. The team lined up in two different sections, each of which contains both men and women in different order to keep everyone in shape — a good training routine for women to be as fast or even faster than men. 

 

Lisa has earned a spot in the middle of the line, she doesn’t know how but the coach had been fond of her since she that day when she was the only woman who was able to keep up with the men. She was even offered a spot but she declined, she’s only doing this out of hobby and has no plan to compete.

 

They did 3 laps around the huge oval before they finally went out and jog around the campus, following where Jinwoo is heading. It didn’t take a while until they started sprinting and being in the middle with men running ahead and behind her, Lisa has no choice but to run as fast as she could to keep up — it wasn’t hard, it wasn’t enough, her lungs needed more pressure so she sprints faster.

 

The sprinting didn’t last long as they go back to normal jog routine. Lisa was too focused with her breathing techniques and keeping up with everyone in the team that she didn’t notice they’re tracking the pavement in front of the Student Council’s building.

 

Jinwoo starts sprinting again and others followed suit.

 

 

 

 

“Is that Lisa?” Jisoo asks, eyes not leaving at the figure who just created a distance between her and the line following her.

 

“I am so sure that it’s her.” Chaeyoung replies.

 

Joohyun turns to look at Seulgi. “She joined the track team?” She noticed the sadness in Seulgi’s eyes.

 

“I am not really sure.”

 

“She’s still not showing up in practices?”

 

Seulgi shakes her head.

 

They are standing at the balcony located at the second floor where they could see the field and the oval.

 

“Is she still not talking to you?” Joohyun asks as she turns her head to where Jennie is standing. The longing, regret and sadness are all over Jennie’s eyes and face. Joohyun could only sigh.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“She only asked you not to visit the café though so you can still try and talk to her.” Joohyun explains.

 

Jennie shakes her head. “I can’t. I don’t have the courage to do that after what I did. Maybe in time but for now, I’ll give her the space that she needed.”

 

“Jennie—“

 

“Please, let it go. I am fine.”

 

Joohyun sighs, her arm immediately goes around Jennie’s shoulders. “I am sorry I can’t do anything to help you.”

 

Jennie smiles, eyes never leaving at Lisa’s figure who’s still doing oval laps. “I can’t help myself either so it’s okay.”

 

“I hope she’d talk to us soon. I miss that kid.” Jisoo chimes.

 

“Same.” Chaeyoung and Seulgi say in unison.

 

“It’ll come. She’ll come around. Hopefully.” Joohyun is hopeful.

 

Jennie clenches her jaws while still looking at Lisa’s figure who finally jogs to a halt.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“FREEDOM!!” BamBam screams almost at the top of his lungs in front of a huge tree after one whole week of hellish exams before their long awaited break.

 

Mina throws him an empty box of milk she’d been drinking. “Shut up! You’re scaring the others!”

 

BamBam looks around, bows at the people who either have wide eyes, hands on their chest or eyes glaring, hands bawling into a fist. “Sorry.” He says then turns to face his friends.

 

Jongin shakes his head. “I still don’t know why your girlfriend agreed to be your girlfriend.”

 

BamBam replies almost instantly with a smug grin. “Because I have so many things to offer. Hah!”

 

“Like what? Your noisy ? Dang I’d ditch you instantly if I were her.” Lisa replies.

 

“Foul! Lucky me, she’s not you.”

 

“Never would wish.”

 

BamBam sticks his tongue out which Lisa answered by her own before all four them broke into a laughing fit.

 

 

As they head to the parking lot, Lisa will be their driver today, BamBam asks. “Aside from Lisa, anyone going home?”

 

“Nope.” Jongin says.

 

Mina shakes her head when BamBam looks at her, not saying anything because she’s sipping another box of cold milk.

 

“Now I feel guilty.” Lisa chimes.

 

BamBam looks at her, raising an eyebrow. “For?”

 

“Because all of you will be working your asses off and I will be on leave for a week.”

 

“Nah. A lot of students will be going home for break so I think it’ll be rather slower than we’d usually have. Plus, you need that break. I mean we all do but.. you know what I mean.” BamBam says, opening the back seat as soon as Lisa unlocks the doors.

 

Mina throws the empty box in the trash. “Right plus I’d rather spend this break being productive than going back to Japan and hear my siblings nag. No thanks.”

 

BamBam raises his hand for a high five which Mina immediately meets. “Same!” Both of them laughed.

 

“And you?” She asks Jongin.

 

“We have no family trips this year so I am staying.” Jongin saw the shift in her eyes so he moves forward and ruffles her hair, receiving a protest in return. “Don’t worry. We all agreed to give you this because I am sure you will do so too if one of us needs it. No?”

 

“Of course I would.”

 

“There goes your answer. Let’s go. You have to sleep early for that trip tomorrow.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

“What’s bothering our princess’ mind?”

 

Jennie looks up after hearing the voice then releases a  groan after seeing who it is. “Oppa, how many times do I have to tell you to stop calling me that?”

 

Mino chuckles, taking a sit on an empty chair — eyes looking at the calm waves of the beach. “And not see that reaction? No way.”

 

Jennie huffs. “I still don’t know how in the world did you become a teacher when you’re this annoying.”

 

“My students love me, that’s why.”

 

Jennie playfully rolls her eyes. “As if.”

 

 

 

 

Song Minho or Mino, is not only a professor and the award winning director but also one of Jennie’s closest cousins in her mother’s side — while Jisoo and Jiyoon are in her father’s. Only few knows they’re blood related because one, no one needs to know and two, they’re not obliged to let others know.

 

It’s been two days since the official break starts and Jennie’s mother’s family tree decided to spend a 3-day vacation in the east coast near a beach where one of their ancestral vacation houses is located.

 

It’s their first day and Jennie decided to move away from the chaos in the house and watch the waves to clear her mind, it’s been too drained and worked up recently.

 

 

 

 

“You did not answer my question, what’s up?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

He raises an eyebrow. “I doubt. You’d usually wrestle with Dana and yet you’re here, away from everyone else.”

 

“Oppa, we’re too old to wrestle.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter