Chapter 4

QUITS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie couldn't stop checking her phone every now and then while also looking at the entrance of the restaurant. She had texted Lisa about an hour ago but received no replies from the latter. She wanted to call but of course she would never do that.
 

"Yo Jane, waiting for someone?" Nayeon chirps after swallowing a piece of broken potato fries in.

Jennie turns her attention to Nayeon, the other girls are all engrossed in their own worlds. "Not really."

Nayeon raised an eyebrow. "Then why do you keep looking at your phone?"
 

Jennie and Nayeon kept in touch throughout the years ever since Jennie flew out of Auckland that day. Unfortunately for her, Nayeon stayed and continued her studies in New Zealand but she had been doing back and forth flights to South Korea every single year to visit her friend, Jennie and her extended families.
 

"Nothing. I have something to tell you."

Nayeon immediately scoots closer, upper body slightly leaning forward — just intrigued. "Oh? What's spicy?"

"I met someone almost a month ago."

"Is this your new boy, Ruby Jane?" Nayeon smirks.

Jennie rolls her eyes. "No but this is better. Remember your old pal in New Zealand about almost a decade ago?"

Nayeon leans back and tries to rack her brain, trying to remember someone. The only person she and Jennie shared memories with back in New Zealand is Lisa who turned to be one of her closest friends. "Lisa?"

Jennie nods. "She's here."

Nayeon gasps. "No freaking way! Where is she?!"
 

Nayeon and Lisa also remained in contact until two years ago. Nayeon was not sure what happened when Lisa never missed a week of texting or calling her. She tried other means of contacting her like emails and the good ol' paper letters but no responses at all.
 

"We go to the same university and I invited her but you see, same old her who runs away."

That made Nayeon furrowed her eyebrows. "Don't tell me you still hold grudges?"

Jennie shrugs.

"Oh come on, she's not a bad kid. I told you that countless times before. We became friends, remember? If you happened to have not flown out of the country that day, you would've been friends too."

Jennie sips from her juice and shrugs again. "She bullied me, remember?"

"She did not!" Jennie raised an eyebrow at her. "Well.. maybe a little. Admit it, you were pretty loud back then."

Jennie shoves Nayeon which made the latter laugh. "Whose side are you on exactly?"

"None. Wait, you have her number and you're still like this? Didn't you talk it out first?"

Jennie shakes her head. "No. I am not even so sure if she remembers me."

"I highly doubt that."

"Like I said I am not sure."

"But you do. Why didn't you open it up?"

"Then my plan won't work."

Nayeon frowns again. "What are you planning?"

Jennie smirks. "You stayed in contact with her throughout the years right?"

"Yes until two years ago. What does it have to do with your plans?"

"Great. Rumor has it she swings both ways."

Nayeon's frown immediately replaced by a dead cold stare directed at Jennie. Jennie doesn't need to explain it further, she connected the dots and she's not liking this at all. "Don't do this."

Of course Nayeon knew about it, Lisa told her about her preference one night when Lisa flew back to New Zealand when she was around 14 years old. Living in a country that probably has all walks of life, she was not surprised at all.

"Just harmless fun anyway."

"You know it's not going to be harmless, Jennie." Nayeon only uses her legal first name when she's dead serious but Jennie doesn't really care.

"It would be."

"Why can't you just do what she did when we were little instead of doing what you plan on doing? This is never harmless, Jennie. She's a good kid who made bad decisions, we all did when we were kids. Don't do this."

"All I remember during that vacation in Auckland is her giving me the worst last two days of my life. Whatever happened before that were all like a blur. Hers stood out til this day."

"Then tell her about it! I told you she wanted to apologize but you flew home."

"Shouldn't stop her confident to ask for my parents' number from you."

Nayeon sighs. There's no end to this. "You expect an 8 year old kid to ask for a damn number of someone she barely knew? What do you think she's gonna tell your parents? Hi Ma'am, I am the girl who made your daughter cry in Auckland. Please forgive me. Like that?"

Jennie shrugs. "She could."

"You're unbelievable."

"It's just some harmless fun, Na. Don't sweat it."

 

Nayeon is not liking this at all, one way or another someone will totally get hurt and she's afraid that it's Lisa. Before they stop contacting each other, Lisa pretty much told Nayeon a lot of things especially about her parents.

As Nayeon grows up, she finally understands why Lisa did all that. Still doesn't justify

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter