Chapter 1

QUITS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Penny for your thoughts, Lisa?"

Lisa turns her head towards the source of the voice, when she sees who it came it from, she turns her attention back to the field that she's been staring at for God knows how long.

"You can't get any."

A scoff. "You have been staring at an empty field, your eyes are so distant.. what's bothering you, bud?"

Lisa senses the movements across her but refuses to turn her head once again. Too lazy, too drowned. "I'm good, Jongin. Seriously."

She may have not turn her full attention to the man across her, she knows he's frowning. "Doubt it."

 

Lisa didn't say anything anymore so Jongin didn't too. One of the things that Jongin learned from their friendship is to never push personal agenda when Lisa is this quiet. She'd share what she wants to share anyway when she's ready.

Must have been so weird to see Lisa and Jongin being labeled as friends, huh? So, how did their friendship start? Buckle up.

 

Jongin used to live in Thailand due to an exchange program he participated in his sophomore year in high school. Jongin literally had zero Thai words up in his sleeves so the moment he stepped foot in the campus, he could've sworn he cussed himself for being too spontaneous on his decisions.

He wanted challenge, he wanted something new, he wanted adventure so he immediately filed an application when the exchange program post was up. Lucky for him, he was approved by both universities and was shipped to Thailand a week before the fiscal year had started.

He transferred in an international school though but he knew he's going to encounter a language barrier anytime soon. And he actually did, too soon even, he got lost somewhere in between the high school and college boundary and couldn't even properly ask for direction because aside from Thai, his English vocabulary had failed him that moment.

He knew he's going to be late and almost gave up until Lisa showed up. Lisa talked to him in Korean and if Jongin could deep bow (knees to the ground) right then and there he would but people will surely look at him weirdly if he did that.

Since then, they became friends. Close friends even. Jongin's exchange program was just for a year but not wanting to leave the country and his closest friend just yet, he filed for a year extension. It was accepted almost right immediately though.

 

A little background.

Jongin is from a family of businessmen in Korea, not really the typical rich type of businessmen but the money could get them through on a daily basis with some extra cash to spend for their luxury. On top of that, he is happy. His family is complete and happy.

Lisa on the other hand has the exact opposite. Her father owns several chains of casinos not only in Thailand but all over Asia. Her mother is a real estate shareholder, not only in one but in several companies. But is Lisa happy? No.

Lisa grew up under the care of her Nanny — Faith. Her parents never attended any of her school's family day events, Faith did. Her parents never attended any of her competition events, Faith did. Her parents never took care of her when she's clumsy enough to get sick, Faith did. Her parents never attended any of her achievement ceremonies, Faith did.

When she was a young kid, she did all her best to be noticed by her parents. She broke someone's nose, almost turned someone bald, bullied someone because they were annoying her but she never got anything. Not even a single piece of advice, or scolding — she was that desperate to get their attention that even it's from a wrong deed, she'd risk it.

But instead of her parents, Faith did all of it. When Faith cried because of everything she had been doing, that was her wake up call. She promised to herself that she will never do anything that could disappoint Faith anymore. Faith showed her an unconditional love even though they are not related and by not giving her heart attacks will be the least thing she could do to return the favor.

 

Her parents were literally non-existent in her life that when they decided to get a divorce, Lisa never begged them to not do it. Nothing would change, she thought. Her parents were almost never home anyway, Lisa could only count a handful of times they had meal together, but she didn't care because Faith was there.

Faith became her unofficial guardian so when her parents got divorced, Faith stayed just for a year to take care of Lisa until she's legally enough to be on her own and decided to fly back home — in South Korea.

Being too attached to her Nanny, Lisa decided to fly out with her and will be have her college life in a foreign country. Good thing her Korean is tolerable because Faith had been teaching her since she could remember — that's why she was able to talk to Jongin.

Considering Faith's age, in her fifties, she retired in her Gwangju home with her family. Lisa went there to meet them personally and learned that Faith's kindness runs in the family.

They helped her get settled in Seoul and made her promise to visit them when time allows her — it's just a two hour train ride, or three hours if she's driving, anyway.

 

Did her parents stop her? No. Obviously but despite their absence in Lisa's life, Lisa's bank accounts were never empty. They provided her financially, more than she needs even but unfortunately, they can't do the same efforts to become the parents she needed.

Lisa bought a condo unit near her university, just 10 minute drive and to her surprise, Jongin also lives there, just a floor below hers. Also, Lisa is taking Media Arts and Performing Arts for Jongin in the same university. Safe to say, Lisa is having a good start in this foreign country.

Jongin knows everything that happened to Lisa back in Thailand, they were constantly in contact when he had to fly back to his homeland. He also one of the reasons why Lisa left — Jongin pitched her an idea to get the hell out of Thailand and start exploring the world on her own. What he didn't expect though was Lisa moving to Seoul.

 

 

"Oh, do you have any plans after your schedules?" Jongin says after a brief silence.

Lisa finally turns her attention to him. "No. First day of classes is so boring. Why did I even bother coming here?"

Jongin chuckles and shakes his head. "First days are always the most exciting day!"

She could only raise her eyebrow. "First day hook ups already? Damn, hold your horses, cowboy!"

Jongin throws dead leaf at Lisa which of course didn't reach her. "That's not it!"

"Then what is it?"

"Club registration!"

Lisa rolls her eyes and stands up from the bench. "No interests whatsoever."

As she starts walking away and back inside their building, Jongin walks beside her. "Come on, let's join the Dance Club."

"No time."

"You're not going to have any extra curriculum? That is so boring!"

Lisa stays quiet and heads straight to where her next class is. "Bye. See you later." And goes inside the room.

Jongin peeks and noticed that the professor is still not there so he calls Lisa's name again and says, "Don't waste that talent, Buddy."

Lisa gestured a "shoo" sign to him as soon as she had taken a seat to occupy. "I'm going to fill it out for you." Jongin says which instantly got a glare from Lisa.

"Don't you dare."

"Oh I will. Bye."

"Hey! Hey! Jo—" but Jongin had already ran out of the room. ".. damn that jerk." Lisa mutters lowly.

 


"Well that was entertaining to watch." A voice from in front of and below her said.

"Excuse me?" Lisa replies.

"Oh! So rude of me." The brunette says as she turns her body slightly so she could offer her hand forward. "I'm Jisoo, Kim Jisoo. And you are?"

Lisa stares at the hand for briefly a second before he meets it on the air. "Lisa. Lalisa Manoban."

They pulled their hands from the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter