Chapter 20

QUITS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(a/n): hello everyone, apologies for not being able to update for weeks. If you’re following me on Twitter, you know why but for those who don’t, I had writer’s block for weeks!

 

But anyhow, enough with my dily dally. Enjoy this long update.

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

Jongin looks up from the countertop he’d been wiping for minutes now — all because BamBam decided to be clumsy enough to spill sugar and powdered cream while he was grabbing stirrer sticks in a hurry — when the chimes went off, signaling new customer.

 

 

“I see you’ve turned into a wiper and a goldfish now.” Lisa laughs when Jongin’s mouth goes open and close like a fish, unable to utter a word. “Hello.”

 

It’s been just 6 days, she should be working or be in Seoul by the 8th day and she did not mention anything about going back early.

 

So this reaction should be acceptable.

 

“Ya—“ Jongin was about to scold her when BamBam literally sprinted out of the kitchen when he heard Lisa’s voice. 

 

“Lisa! Oh my God!”

 

 

 

Mina winces at the loud voice, fortunately to them, there’s only one customer who has his earphones on and just don’t give a damn around him or else Mina would be throwing things to inflict pain at any cost.

 

But doesn’t mean she won’t say something though.

 

 

“BamBam! Can you tone that voice down?” She grumbles, making her way back to the countertop after serving the customer his second shot of coffee. “Hello Lis, sorry we have a hyena in this establishment. Welcome back.”

 

 

Lisa laughs, so did Jongin, at that. BamBam’s arm winded up around her shoulders and she did not even bother removing it. She misses them too no matter how much she wants to shove BamBam’s face right then and there.

 

 

“Hyena? A hear a penguin talking.”

 

“I am not a penguin!”

 

“I did not even drop a name?”

 

“You’ve been calling me a penguin ever since you overheard the conversation with my sister. Geez! You’re so annoying!”

 

 

BamBam laughs and was about to retort again but he heard the chef calling his name so he excused himself, of course not without teasing Mina again. Mina could only let out an irritated sigh.

 

 

“How to literally unfriend someone?”

 

Lisa laughs. “He’s getting into your nerves huh?”

 

“Tell me about it. Jesus Christ, just because he got dumped doesn’t mean I’m not going to tear him into pieces.”

 

Lisa frowns then looks at Jongin. “He got dumped?”

 

Jongin hums whilst discarding the used paper towel to the trash. “Yep, he said something about another man. Not really sure.”

 

Lisa winces, her attention moves back to Mina. “Third party huh?”

 

“Yep. Bad break up too.”

 

“Yikes.”

 

“Totally. He was all over the place for like two days and I think he still is. He’s just diverting everything.” Quips Mina.

 

“He’ll be fine. Just let him be.” Jongin quips.

 

“Isn’t that his shortest relationship, no?” Lisa asks.

 

Mina hums. “If my memory is correct then yes but he seemed to be serious about her though.” She shrugs. “Anyway enough talking about that wild hyena.” Lisa laughs again.

 

“You’re early than your scheduled arrival.” Mina continues.

 

“Faith and her family flew out of Seoul to Japan for a vacation. They wanted me to come but nah, next time plus I have no time.”

 

“Right. Don’t feel so pressured reporting back to work though. You have one more day, technically, so spend it well.”

 

“I’ll spend it on my couch.” Mina and Jongin chuckles. 

 

“You and me, both.” Jongin replies.

 

“Anything I could help?”

 

Mina rolls her eyes. “And that’s how my reminder gone to waste. Why did I even bother?

 

Lisa laughs. “So dramatic. I just wanna help plus you’re gonna close in an hour anyway. Let’s eat something after shift, my treat.”

 

“Well, if you say so. We need you to go to the pantry and storage room to do the inventory. Call?” Jongin replies.

 

Lisa hums, pats the countertop. “Aye aye captain.” She says before walking away.

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

“Bam, I need creamer please.”

 

BamBam gestures a salute before making his way to the pantry. Lisa is back behind the counter and has been very busy since the start of the shift. Their shop just started accepting deliveries so she and Jongin had to divide assignments. Jongin is in charged for the in house orders while she handles the deliveries.

 

Fortunately for the establishment and unfortunately for Lisa, the delivery option is a hit. She had not taken a single minute or two worth of proper downtime since she clocked in, they guessed that the order must’ve been mostly from students around the town who either had gone back from vacation or just too lazy to visit the shop. 

 

 

 

“Here you go.” BamBam says, setting another tube of creamer he took. “You wanna switch for a while? The orders keep coming in.”

 

“Speaking of which. We have another one.” Says Jongin as he grabs the receipt from the machine, slides and pins it in front of Lisa.

 

“Thanks for the offer but the house needs more labor than this. Go give Mina some help. I can manage.”

 

“You sure? We don’t have much customers.”

 

Lisa waves her hand while the other one slides the shop’s receipt copy of the order she just finished into to paper bag. “I am sure.”

 

BamBam looks at Jongin for confirmation but received a shrug. “She’s in her zone and if you help her out, her rhythm will be messed up and she’ll be all over the place. Go help Mina. There are two newly vacated tables.” 

 

“If you say so.” And he disappears to the awaiting task.

 

“How many orders left?” Jongin asks, he didn’t hear any response as he hands the paper bag to the delivery man before facing Lisa again. “So?”

 

“I am doing the last one and I’ll be empty.”

 

 

 

 

Jongin did not disturb her any longer as new sets of customers came in which totally grabbed his full attention. When he was done preparing the orders and called BamBam to serve them, he saw Lisa slumping and sitting herself on the floor at the far corner of the counter area which made him laugh.

 

“You look like you got ran over by a truck!”

 

Lisa grumbles. “Give me a damn break. This is my first rest of the shift and please turn off the order availability. I need a rest.”

 

Jongin did so while chuckling. “You’ll have more of these soon. It’s been growing steady for the past two days and if we get good results by the end of the week, Noona might keep this option.”

 

“Oh God. This the time we should ask her for new hires. We need manpower.”

 

“Totally agree.”

 

“I’m going to take a breather. Be right back.” Lisa says and he nods before Lisa disappears inside.

 

 

 

Jongin hears the familiar chime few moments later and immediately moves back near the register to take the orders of the new customers. He comes right face to face with customers he didn’t see for quite some time.

 

 

“Good to see you all back. How’s the break?” He asks.

 

“Never productive but interesting, that’s why I’m here. Hello Jongin.” Jisoo says.

 

He smiles. “Hello. What will you have today?”

 

Jisoo returns the smile before turning around to face the other girls — Chaeyoung, Joohyun, Seulgi and Jennie — for their orders.

 

“15 minutes.” Jongin says.

 

“Awesome. Thanks Jongin.” Jisoo says.

 

“Pleasure. Do you want to take the beeper or have either Mina or Bam take the order to your table?”

 

“We’ll have latter. I’m afraid we’d miss it if it’s the former.”

 

“Sounds like a plan. You’ll get your orders soon.”

 

“Appreciate it, Jongin.”

 

 

 

 

They nod with a smile before making their way to an empty space just few tables away from the counter. Joohyun isn’t in the mood to see people walking by so they avoided the huge glass windows at all cost.

 

They are all in the middle of random talks and basically just catching up — Jisoo just arrived few hours ago from a short vacation in Jeonju — until Chaeyoung pokes Jennie.

 

 

 

“What?”

 

Chaeyoung nods forward which automatically got 4 heads turning towards the direction. “She’s here.”

 

 

 

Jennie suddenly couldn’t breathe. Just by seeing Lisa this close brings too much emotions — regret, longing but most importantly, she feels very happy no matter how angsty that unrequited feeling is for her.

 

Lisa’s hair is on high ponytail when she started to take care of orders Jennie had no idea to whom. Is it too pathetic to wish to have Lisa be doing her own drink? Probably but she thought she’s already one lately anyway so why not push it to the edge so yes, she wished that.

 

She didn’t even know she was holding her breath for far too long until her lungs started screaming for mercy.

 

She felt dizzy yet relaxed.

 

Jennie realized how much Lisa could affect her without even doing much. She missed her, no, she misses her way a lot more than she thought and it hurts to not being able to say or act that.

 

 

“You okay?” Seulgi asks. She probably noticed the quick breathing or maybe, she felt sorry for her because Jennie knows Seulgi must’ve seen the way she looks at Lisa.

 

Jennie turns her attention to her friend and smiles. “Yeah. I just feel weird but I am okay.”

 

“Are you sure?” Everyone around the table except her are now wearing concern in their eyes.

 

“Absolutely. Don’t worry.”

 

“It’s Lisa, huh?” Joohyun asks.

 

Jennie could only smile.

 

Joohyun sighs. “Talk to her.”

 

“I will. If I get the right chance to do so. That’s the main reason why I cut off my vacation. I want to fix this before the start of the next semester.”

 

Chaeyoung smiles. “Good luck, Jen.”

 

“Thanks, Chaeng. Don’t worry, if she happens to reject me again, I am pretty sure she will still talk to all of you. One thing I knew from our last talk, she does not bottle hatred. I wish she would but I’m glad she wouldn’t.”

 

“Girl, the negativity is so stinky.” Jisoo winces before gently pushing Jennie’s shoulder that was near her. “We will all be fine.”

 

 

That conversation stopped as soon as they see BamBam making his way to them with their orders.

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

“Are you sure you just want to walk? Either of us could easily drive you home.” Chaeyoung says while holding the door frame of her car.

 

Jennie offers her a kind smile. “I am good, Chaeng. Thank you. I wanna walk around for a while, that’s the reason why I did not bring my car.”

 

“Jen, it’s late at night and you’re a woman, alone. That screams disaster to me.” Jisoo complains, she too, is holding her door frame.

 

“I’ve walked way too many times around here plus there are patrols everywhere.” She nods at the parked automobile with red and blue head lights spinning.

 

Their heads turn to the direction for a quick second before looking back at Jennie. “Okay. Text us when you are

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter