9

Love, Blood and War

Mia had excused herself after hearing the news that it was only a matter of time before she was like them. A vampire. The living dead in fact. Frustrated, her fingers ran through her hair, wondering what the hell was going on with her life. She had thousands of missed calls and text from Ahra and her landlord that she chose to ignore. Being here, it felt like nothing else mattered.

She landed on the bed with a thud. It was true; she had completely let go of the world outside the manor.

Hugging her pillow close to her, a soft tap on the door was heard, then the sound of the door opening. Mia could tell it was Myungsoo.

“You okay?” his voice drifted to her. With her eyes closed, she simply nodded. The bed shifted, indicating that Myungsoo had taken a seat. Bravely enough, he lay down beside her. Mia could feel eyes on her and when she opened hers, she met Myungsoo’s.

She didn’t feel nervous like all the other times he was so close to her. There was a sense of safety and normalcy to him that comforted Mia.

“My birthday is this month” she stated, as if it had to be said.

“I know” Myungsoo replied. His hand reached her face, brushing the silky bangs away from her eyes.

“Will you tell me now?” Mia said, biting her lips nervously, wondering if he would really listen. She heard him sigh deeply, his hand moving away from her face and claiming her hand again.

“Where do you want to start?” he finally said. Mia’s eyes lit up, “Seriously?”

Myungsoo nodded with a small smile on his face. Mia rolled her sleeve up, showing him the mark she had on her arm. By now her whole arm was intricately designed perfectly. Each swirl linked with the other and every now and again there would be black teardrop shapes on the end of a swirl.

“What’s this?” she asked bluntly.

Myungsoo’s fingers walked up her arm, “That is a bond between you and me. And it’s a curse”

Mia’s face changed to puzzlement, “A curse?”

“The witch we once knew, she became different over the years. One day, Sungjong told me she was in love with me; that was the day Heechul turned against me too.” Myungsoo took a deep breath. It was clear that he was picturing everything in his head.

“That witch, she got so consumed with jealousy and Heechul had to make it worse. She placed a curse on us. We would suffer in every life, watching the other one die in front of our eyes” Myungsoo whispered.

His eyes were filled with sadness. The thought of seeing Mia die again; he didn’t know if he would handle it.

Mia stayed quiet, listening to every word Myungsoo said as he carried on.

“I guess it like that reincarnation crap” Myungsoo muttered.

There was a moment of silence surrounding the two.

“So the last time we died was in the fire?” Mia asked, trying to confirm her memories.

He shook his head, indicating a ‘no’. “We met again when we were young. I knew you instantly but you always struggle with your memories. Part of the curse I guess. But we died again, on that of a ship”

A sheepish smile came across his face, “Felt like forever before I found you again. I always find you in the end”

Mia looked up at the man in front of her, “Thank you, for always looking for me” she said softly.

His arms draped around her waist, hugging her securely and placing his forehead on hers, “I’d never stop looking”

Myungsoo’s lips hovered about hers. He was almost hesitant at first. Mia soon felt softness against her lips. He delivered a small kiss before pulling away, still close to her. Mia’s eyes were still closed, reminiscing the warmth of Myungsoo’s lips. She would have been lying is she said that she didn’t want more.

Myungsoo looked down at her glossy lips, unable to take his eyes away. His breath lingered across her lips before Mia felt another kiss placed on them. Their lips caressed slowly, kissing deeper and deeper.

She felt his hand cup her face while her arms wrapped themselves around his neck.

His tongue found hers, fiddling with care. It seemed like forever before they pulled away.

A smile broke out on both their faces. Mia touched her lips, pursing them shyly.

“Sorry, I got sidetracked” Myungsoo uttered under his breath.

Mia shook her head, “It’s fine”

The kiss felt even better than the dreams.

“Sleep. I’ll tell you the rest later” Myungsoo said, bringing her closer to him as he closed his eyes. Before Mia could protest, he was already asleep.

“You must be really tired because of me” She whispered to no one. With  a sigh, Mia’s head rest in the crook of his neck before falling asleep too.

 

 

The castle was surrounded by water. Water to the human eyes but it was an illusion. It was a barrier to hell, preventing the dead and evil to return. Heechul stood outside the castle, looking around, with the same proud look.

He had another vampire with him, named Jiho.

“Jiho, find me the witch. And make sure she’s alive when you bring her” Heechul ordered.

Jiho his lips, cracking his knuckles. He wasn’t one to be messed with.

“I think you’ve forgotten Heechul, I don’t work for you like the others” Jiho said.

Heechul gave him a dark look. His eyes calculated him and he pressed his hand against his shoulder.

Jiho’s eyes blackened and suddenly his mind went blank.

Heechul laughed, “Jiho, you do as I say now”

And like that, Jiho was gone; with nothing on his mind but the order he was given. Heechul was the type that would not be refused.