The Abandoned and The Barista

All I Want for Christmas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
8 THE ABANDONED AND THE BARISTA    

Quiet cafe, crowded on Christmas day, measured and festive music, happy people. There was noise and hubbub all around, but Taeil always liked this job for this very reason.

 

The guy liked being around people, talking to them. There were also bad moments, of course, but in any work one could not go without them. He was already accustomed to this and once again stood by the coffee machine, patiently waiting for the beans to be brewed.

 

The second reason why he chose such a cafe is the pleasant smell of fresh coffee filling the lungs. Taeil loved coffee and everyone knew it, and the owner was so kind that he allowed the workers to drink a cup or another for free.

 

In general, the guy liked the cafe, liked what he did and the proximity to coffee, and even for a simple student they paid great money here, so the guy would never leave this job. So he worked here for two and a half years already.

 

Today was his second Christmas at this place, in their friendly team. There were only three students like him who worked there and that made it even more fun. He took an extra shift at Christmas, because the boss paid overtime for the holidays and after twelve the guy will already go to celebrate the holiday with friends.

 

The day was better than ever, he had already served with a hundred clients, there were still a couple of hours before the end of work. He was wiping the tables after the clients, when he noticed a lonely girl sitting at the farthest corner. Taeil remembered pouring this drink for her about two hours ago. He noticed the girl, because she was his style, but now his attention was attracted by the fact that for several hours she did not even move and she looked sad.

 

A couple more hours passed, Taeil served customers, wiped the floor and tables, but each time his gaze unconsciously wandered to a lonely girl who had already drunk her coffee for a long time and was just melancholically scrolling through her phone.

 

Visitors became less and less, there was half an hour before closing, and half an hour until twelve. He promised his colleagues that he would close the cafe himself and they happily ran to celebrate Christmas. Taeil was left alone, or rather almost alone, because the lonely girl was still sitting in the corner, not paying attention to the empty cafe.

 

The guy threw out the trash, wiped the floors, pushed in all the chairs and removed everything he could. It remains only to talk to her. He changed into his normal clothes in the staff room and walked over to the coffee machine. For a second, he doubted, but decided it was worth it.

 

A minute later, in his hands was a steaming cup of latte, which he personally decorated with a pattern in the form of a cute puppy. Taeil smiled and walked over to the girl, placing this cup in front of her. The girl shuddered and seemed to wake up from her thoughts, in confusion looking from the drink to Taeil and then to the empty cafe.

 

“Oh, sorry,” she abruptly began to get her stuff, in a panic and guiltily looking at the guy. He just smiled at her, answering:

 

“It’s okay, just take your time, and this latte is for you,” the guy smiled at her, and the girl stopped, now looking shyly at the offered mug. She still hesitated, looking questioningly at Taeil and he just nodded, moving the cup closer. “It’s on the house.”

 

The girl tried to reject it for some time, feeling uncomfortable, but the guy convinced her and he sat down next to her. She gave up and drank awkwardly from the mug.

 

“Very tasty, thank you,” she beamingly smiled at him and the guy noticed a light white cream on the corner of her lips. He wanted to wipe it off, but that would be rude, so he took a napkin and rubbed the corner of her lip with her. The girl widened her large eyes and her cheeks reddened.

 

“Well, I've been working as a barista for two years now,” he smiled back at her, throwing away the napkin. The girl did not find the strength to look at him further and just continued to drink. Taeil found it insanely cute. “I noticed that you have been sitting here for several hours alone with a sad face. This is usually rare at Christmas.”

 

“Oh, yes,” the girl was silent for a couple of seconds and frowned, as a line formed between her eyebrows. Taeil waited attentively for an answer. “It's embarrassing to talk about it, but my friends abandoned me.”

 

“Abandoned?” the guy's eyebrows went up in surprise and the girl smiled sadly.

 

“We were supposed to spend Christmas together. Go to the Christmas tree, look at the fireworks and all that, but at the last moment they had other plans,” she still sighed sadly and her sorrowful face made Taeil's heart skip a beat. “I live here alone and moved here recently. I don't really know anyone yet.”

 

The guy was silent, thinking about how to cheer up this cutie. And the girl apparently took it differently. She giggled awkwardly as she twisted the strand around her finger.

 

“I know I sound like a complete loser,” she laughed bitterly and the guy shook his head sharply, surprising her.

 

“Of course not. Rather, your friends sound like losers — lost that opportunity to spend time with you.” She giggled sweetly, forcing Taeil to smile unconsciously. “What's your name?”

 

“I am Jung Ain,” she gave the guy a hand, which he willingly shook. Her hands were soft and small, and Taeil didn't want to let her go even for a second. “And you?”

 

“I am Moon Taeil,” the girl nodded and the guy with great regret let her hand go. “Now you have another friend.”

 

The girl's eyebrows rose in surprise and only she wanted to ask him, as the guy got up, stretching out his hand to her.

 

“Ain, how about a walk to the Christmas tree? This cafe is on the main square, so it's not a long walk,” T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter