MINA

It All Started at Platform 9 3/4
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

IX: MINA

 

 

Mina thought her first year at Hogwarts would be a lonely one as she isn't really connected to the Wizarding World unlike her pureblood friends with the exception of Jihyo who also grew up mostly in the Muggle world. She had already anticipated before that she will be friendless in Hogwarts and didn't put her expectations too high when it comes to acceptance and friends. She knew that there are people that look down on her status as a muggleborn. She knew that already as if the Muggle world was any different in terms of bullying the people who they see go against the status quo.

 

Mina is a smart kid and she knows how to use her intellect to her advantage. She may look frail and an easy target because of her robes that are hanging on her body and her quiet and soft demeanor. Mina knows when to fight, a trait no one really knows about. She knows when to retaliate because she doesn't really want to hurt others. She will retaliate only if the situation demands it. In their friend group, having Jeongyeon and Nayeon as the tank of the group who would go head first into a battle without any hesitation to wreck things up. Sana is the mediator, the one who tries to keep things calm as Jeongyeon and Nayeon are already starting to heat up their wands for an attack. Momo is there for defense and Jihyo is becoming a young apprentice to Jeongyeon and Nayeon as the three of them share the same fierce disposition to protect the people they love from anyone who wants to hurt them.

 

In Mina's opinion, if they are still friends until the last of them graduates they can be a really powerful team of witches who can do anything for the good of others. Thinking of her friends honestly ease her homesickness. This is the first time she has been alone without her parents. This is the first time she becomes independent. It is daunting at first but the presence of her friends really soothes her nerves. Mina doesn't like being alone. She knows the difference between solitude and loneliness. Its difference one feels light while the other feels like dragging a dead troll with your bare hands.

 

When Jeongyeon and Nayeon told the young Ravenclaw about Choi Iseul and his ragtag gang of Pureblood bullies who prey on lower year muggleborns, the pair are serious as they retell the story of once holding a kid upside-down using Levicorpus and threatens to dunk the said student upside-down in the Great Lake. Mina and Jihyo avoid the group at all cost mainly because they know that hanging out with Nayeon and Jeongyeon, the Choi's mortal enemies, they are automatically a target and with Mina's muggle heritage she already have a big X painted at her back.

 

This prompts Jihyo to assume her role as Mina's defender. if anyone wants to hurt the precious Ravenclaw then they will have to pass ALL 5 of them before even touching a strand of Mina's hair. Mina would be lying if she say that she doesn't like her friends' good will and sentiments but the fact that they think that she can't defend herself sting a little. She wants to prove them that she can also be as brave as Nayeon or Jeongyeon, or as charming as Sana, or as free-spirited as Momo, or as fierce as Jihyo. She wants to prove her friends that she is as good as them.

 

Mina would walk to the Library after class to study harder and gain more knowledge about magic. She would spend hours reading and still, only moving when turning a page, writing on her notes or standing up to browse or return a book. She would be there until dinner to which Momo would always come and see her at the library and calling her to eat. Today is a weekend and students are mostly in their common rooms or wandering in the school grounds.

 

As usual, Mina would see Momo waiting for her outside the Ravenclaw Common Room. Since today is just a casual day, everyone is wearing their casual clothes. Some wore pyjamas around campus not bothering to wear something grand. 

 

"Good Morning, Momo." Mina greets the new Hufflepuff seeker.

 

"Hello. How was sleep?" Momo greets her with a soft smile.

 

"Its fine. How about you." Mina answered. Momo stretched her arms as they walk.

 

"Energizing. I'm ready to for my first quidditch practice." Momo said as she did a fist pump in the air with a smile of determination.

 

"Congratulations again on getting into your team." Mina said to the Hufflepuff as she gave her a gummy smile. Momo stared but Mina didn't noticed her stare.

 

"I wonder what's for breakfast." Momo whispered loud enough for Mina to hear.

 

"I think its the usual again." Mina answered. Momo lets out a sigh of disappointment

 

"Anyway, are you watching quidditch practice later?" Momo asked. Mina slightly shook her head. Momo was obviously quite saddened that she isn't going to watch her first practice as seeker.

 

"I'm sorry, I have to study in the library." Mina apologized to Momo who just smiled at her.

 

"No, its fine." the Hufflepuff replied. "As long as you watch my game then its fine if you miss my practice." Momo added.

 

The pair reached the Great Hall with students doing their usual morning routine. It isn't as packed as it is during the weekdays, in fact some parts of the tables are empty. They saw Jihyo and Jeongyeon sitting at the Gryffindor table joined by Nayeon who is sitting beside Jeongyeon. For Mina, it is nothing out of the ordinary to see Jeongyeon and Nayeon together but for the older Hufflepuff, it is already getting quite weird since she was one of the witnesses of Jeongyeon and Nayeon's very heated and intense rivalry.

 

It is not that there isn't a rivalry going on between the two. There is an intense burning rivalry between the Gryffindor and Slytherin but it wasn't like last year where they are really wanting each other gone. This rivalry feels different to Momo as she have seen Jeongyeon studying harder and even gaining house points for Gryffindor by doing well in their classes together. As usual, even if Momo notices, she doesn't like prying into people's relationships. 

 

Mina really look up to both Nayeon, and Jeongyeon. They have each other that brings out the best of them. It is quite unorthodox in a way that they piss each other over the edge for the other to do something about it. Strange but it works. She may not have someone that pushes her to bring out her best but she does have a reason to do that. The reason being she doesn't want to be seen as a target of bullying. She wants to show that she's powerful too.

 

"Where is Sana?" Mina asked the Hufflepuff after scanning the area and not finding Sana anywhere.

 

"I actually don't know. She woke up earlier than me." Momo shrugs.

 

"And you're not worried?" Mina asked.

 

"No." Momo replied as they walk closer to the trio sitting on the Gryffindor table.

 

"Why?" Mina asked. They reached the their friends who are busy having a discussion and they exchanged unspoken pleasantries with them.

 

"Sana loves walking around the campus every morning during weekends. Looks like she does her routine earlier than usual." Momo sat down beside Mina who sat down beside Jihyo.

 

"Mina! There you are!" Nayeon exclaimed to the Ravenclaw which earned her looks from Jeongyeon, Jihyo, and Momo. All of which she paid no attention too. The older girl leaned closer to the young Ravenclaw.

 

"Choi found out about your muggleborn status." Nayeon revealed the secret to the group.

 

Jeongyeon who was drinking from her goblet almost choked on her drink. Jihyo who was about to eat a spoonful of her food stopped midway and Momo who was about to get some sausages from the plate halted. Everyone is looking at the Slytherin with shock and other mixture of emotions in their faces. Nayeon went back to original seating position. Their group is silent until Sana came looking angry.

 

"Good morning-" Mina was about to greet the Hufflepuff who just took a three pieces of toast and left angrily.

 

Everyone noticed Sana's glare at Mom

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter