CFS III: Hidden in Plain Sight

What’s Inside Your Head?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Title: Hidden in Plain Sight

 

Summary: In a place where love between the same is both punishable by law and religion, where would you stand? Will you stand for love or hide?


 

I

 

In a living room, two old women were sitting on a couch. One holding the telephone and one holding the yellow pages. The page was on the list of orthopaedic doctors.

 

“Hello, Is this Dr Page?... Right, This is about your patient last week… Yeah, that’s her. You see, she’s having trouble walking these days. Said her legs and hips are in pain…Right. I don’t think the medication is working for her…”

 

The doctor’s faint voice could be heard at the line, “I see, may I know who’s on the line?”

 

“It’s Ms. Kim… Kim Taeyeon.”

 

“And how are you related to Ms Hwang?” the doctor asked on the line.

 

There was a silent pause in the room. The old women looked at each other before one of them held the other hand and nodded as if she was giving the other woman permission to speak.

 

“I’m her cousin.”

 

The doctor set an appointment for the patient before ending the call and the old woman who was holding the phone sighed.

 

“Why do you look sad?” the woman who was holding the yellow pages asked.

 

“I’ve been pretending to be your cousin for 48 years in front of your doctors, Tiffany.”

 

The old woman leaned on the other’s shoulder and replied, “Well, they wouldn’t allow non-relatives to transact with them… But you’re the only family I have now.”

 

“Honey, you’re the only family I have too. I wish I could just tell them that you are my wife.”

 

“I wish too, Taeyeon.”

 

“Is your leg still in pain?” Taeyeon asked the old woman.

 

“Yeah…”

 

“We’ll go to Dr Page tomorrow, okay?

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I’ll make you some food.”

 

When the old woman stood at her seat, Tiffany called her.

 

“Oh, Taeyeon?”

 

“Yes, my love?”

 

“I appreciate you so much. Thank you.”

 

Taeyeon smiled and kissed her wife’s forehead.

 

“I love you forever.”

 

Then, Taeyeon saw a picture of their younger selves on the table. She smiled at the memory of it. Two women holding a trophy together.

 

II

 

“Good job, girls!”

 

“Tiffany did well!” one of the girls commended.

 

“Yeah, you’re a star back there.” another commented.

 

“Right, what’s your wish, Tiffany?”

 

“I want to find love!”

 

“Love is within ourselves, darling.”

 

They all laughed and then they saw a school journalist approaching Tiffany.

 

“Is that love coming?” one of the girls joked.

 

“Shut up,” Tiffany said.

 

“Whoa, you did great there. My name is Kim Taeyeon from the school newspaper club. Can I take a picture with you? It’s for the newspaper front page tomorrow.”

 

“Sure.”

 

“Here, hold the trophy, Tiffany.” One of the girls suggested.

 

“Yeah.”

 

It’s been almost 50 years since that photo was taken. On the back of the two women was written ‘Highschool Soccer League’

 

It was the 1950s. Women playing soccer was seen as odd by the public eye as the sport was occupied by the majority of men. However, some kids in their high school made a women’s league in soccer. Gradually, the league became famous to youngsters and pertains them as cool kids however for the old generations, it left a sour taste in their mouths,

 

In the following days, it was filled with Tiffany’s photos on cards with her name wearing her soccer uniform. The kids at their school collected it. However, Tiffany’s father was able to get one of that cards and was deemed furious about it.

 

“Tiffany, you’re a woman. You shouldn’t be playing ball!”

 

“But Dad, I’m good at it!”

 

“The one thing you should be preparing now is becoming a fine housewife for your future husband.”

 

“I don't need men to lift me.”

 

Then she got slapped by her dad. Then she walked out of her home.

 

“Tiffany, come back here!”

 

But she never looked back anymore. Ever since that day, she started living alone. But living alone as a woman in a city is hard and expensive. She barely finished high school and the job that she was getting was limited and the recession was not helping the situation. She was in a diner crying, contemplating whether she’ll come back home and just marry a random man her dad wants her to marry and admit she was not good enough and soccer was for men or just die in hunger on the streets until someone put a hamburger and fries and a diet cola in front of her.

 

“I’ve been looking at you for hours and I couldn’t help but notice you not ordering anything so I took the liberty to do that for you.” a lady said.

 

When Tiffany looked up, she saw a familiar face.

 

“Do I know you?” she asked.

 

“You must have forgotten since you only met me once. I’m Kim Taeyeon, the school newspaper journalist. We met at a soccer game.”

 

“So, I’ll be at the newspaper of the school tomorrow, I suppose?” Tiffany scoffed.

 

Taeyeon shook her head, “Nope, I don’t have a camera.”

 

“You wouldn’t write about me?” she asked.

 

“No, but I want to know why you’re crying at a diner during these hours.”

 

They talked about life for hours. Tiffany needed someone to hear her vents and rants and Taeyeon was there to offer her company. After hours of talking, Taeyeon finally said something that would be the start of something new between the both of them.

 

“Would you like to live with me?”

 

“Hmm?” Tiffany was in doubt at first. But Taeyeon was fast enough to convince her.

 

“Living in the city is expensive for girls like us. If we live together we can help each other cover our expenses.” Taeyeon suggested.

 

‘That’s not a bad idea compared to dying in hunger.’

 

“Alright, roommate is it?”

 

“Roommates.”

 

III.

 

“Tiffany, are you ready? We’re going to see Dr Page now.” then Taeyeon saw Tiffany was sleeping soundly on her bed.

 

“Tiffany?” she called out.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter