R25. Coincidences

What’s Inside Your Head?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Title: R25. Coincidences

 

Summary: Everyone expects Lawyer Hwang to crush Prosecutor Kim to pieces in court...will she?

 

A/N: Hi guys, Soshi_051697 here. I hope you still haven't forgotten about me. Lol.

I have always said in my childhood that I wanted to be a lawyer, lol. Since I don't have intentions of fulfilling that little dream, I wrote about it instead. Enjoy reading folks! :D

 

***

 

BEGIN.

 

“We will now begin with session one of the defendant, Kim Jaejoong’s trial. We’ll start with the prosecution and their opening statement.” the judge has announced, signaling the start of the courtroom battle. Prosecutor Kim Taeyeon, a newly appointed prosecutor stood up confidently. She was expertly masking the nervousness for the first-ever case she’s handling. “Defendant Kim Jaejoong registered address at …” Taeyeon started the proceedings professionally, now providing the grounds of the case and what are the charges involved. Once done, Taeyeon sat back down on her respective chair and took a glance at the counter lawyer. Lawyer Tiffany Hwang, the queen of law enforcement, is sitting quietly in front of the prosecutor. With her track record of being an unbeatable lawyer, always turning around the results even on the most complicated lawsuit, it sure isn’t gonna be an easy first case. But Taeyeon is determined. She will make history today. The atmosphere was thick and the silence was deafening. “Okay, we will now commence with the witness testimony.” was announced. “Your honor, we would like to request a witness, Shim Changmin on the stand.” Prosecutor Taeyeon started. She purposely called the witness that is supposed to give an alibi for the defendant and started disputing facts of what could have been a good defense Attorney Hwang could have used. Tiffany watched as Taeyeon expertly provided a plausible scenario. She stopped playing with the pen she was holding as paralegal Seo looked at Tiffany worriedly. The case isn’t going to their tide today. ‘I knew it wasn’t gonna be an easy match once I heard that she’s the one handling the case.’ Tiffany thought while her mind wandered to the good old days.

--

 

A young law student Tiffany Hwang was skipping happily as she made her way to the law building of the prestigious university. She noticed that most of her classmates are a bit on the older side until she saw a girl who looked like a high school student reading quietly in one corner.

 

Figuring that she has to do her own advanced reading too, Tiffany sat down and started reading ahead of the lecture. She was both excited and anxious. She is already on her way to getting her dream which is to become a lawyer and help people who are in need.

 

Young Stephanie Hwang was a naive justice-seeking student. The stiff professor soon came in and started the roll call. There was a late student that came a few seconds before him but the poor student wasn’t allowed inside.

 

After the attendance checking, the professor introduced himself briefly before starting the topic at hand. He called Tiffany right away and due to her nerves, she wasn’t able to answer properly even if she knew the answer. She silently berated herself for not answering when she was left standing for 10 minutes before he got to call Kim Taeyeon.

 

She may look like a high school student but she was able to answer the question without wavering. A sense of jealousy and admiration well up inside Tiffany when she heard that. Unknowingly, Tiffany has made Taeyeon her inspiration to excel in classes.

 

--

 

Law student Kim Taeyeon was at the library, borrowing a book for one of her subjects when she spotted her classmate Tiffany Hwang reading seriously on one table. Intrigued, she went in her direction once she got the book she needed and she sat behind the American. 

 

Taeyeon found it amusing that despite being a law student, Tiffany has the time to make sure that she’s still fashionable when going to school. Even when she was just wearing a plain polo shirt and blue jeans, she would still attract attention.

 

She’s positive that it is one of the reasons why she was called first for recitation on the first day of classes. She saw Tiffany reading a rather thick English - Korean dictionary while reading their case studies at the same time.

 

A sense of respect for the girl grew inside Taeyeon as she saw how the girl aspires to fulfill her dreams despite the language barrier since it seems that Korean wasn’t her first language. It was quite obvious with the name too but Taeyeon thought that the girl was just trying to be cool at first.

 

Before Taeyeon’s mind could wander more about the brunette, Taeyeon diverted her attention back to her case studies. She has a lot of readings to do.

 

--

It was just after the midterms and to release stress after the exams, Tiffany Hwang decided to visit the badminton club at the university. During the registration process, all students were required to join at least one extracurricular club in school.

 

Figuring that she would have more reading in law school, Tiffany opted to choose badminton club as a form of exercise. However, it seems that most members have gone home early to celebrate the break with family.

 

She only found her block mate, Kim Taeyeon, inside. 

 

‘Huh, what are the odds?’

 

The older girl didn’t seem to notice her presence as she continued reading what she can assume is one of their case files for next semester. That was the first time that Tiffany had the chance to actually examine her face.

 

Kim Taeyeon had black hair and full bangs, making her look even younger. Her brown onyx eyes were still glued to the papers and her fair white skin complimented her baby face. A smile escapes Tiffany’s lips when she notices how her eyebrows would crease when she was concentrating. 

 

“Hey, would you like to play with me?” Tiffany stopped stalking after a minute and decided to announce her existence.

 

Taeyeon’s reaction was comical as she slipped the papers she was holding and fell on the chair. 

 

“Oh my God, are you okay?” Tiffany asked worriedly as she stepped inside to help the older girl pick up her papers. 

 

“Yes, you startled me.” Taeyeon answered. Tiffany blushed at that and gave her signature eye smile.

 

“I’m sorry about that.” Tiffany apologized. Taeyeon gave her a stiff smile.

 

“It’s alright. Let’s go play?” Taeyeon answered as soon as she put her papers back in the bag.

 

They set out to the court and started playing.

 

It started with Taeyeon taking the lead until Tiffany got her rhythm and soon enough turned the table around. Tiffany won 2 sets over Taeyeon’s 1. 

 

After the game, they drank their water and ended the game in a handshake, showing sportsmanship.

 

“Nice game.” Taeyeon commented. “You are really fierce earlier even though it’s not an official game.” Tiffany laughed at that.

 

“Sorry about that. I always do my best in everything I do.” the brunette answered sincerely. Taeyeon nodded her head. 

 

“I can see that.” Taeyeon gave the brunette a quick smile. “Anyway, I have to go now. I’ll see you soon?” she tried to bid goodbye.

 

“Sure. I do have to go home soon too.” Tiffany answered. “Let’s go out together?” she invited.

 

The older girl nodded her head and they got their bag back from the badminton club locker. They walked quietly towards the school gate.

 

“Say, why did you choose to study Law?” Tiffany suddenly asked.

 

“I want to be a prosecutor, catch bad guys and stuff. I have loved watching Detective Conan since I was a kid. I guess I grew up wanting to investigate cases too.” Taeyeon answered excitedly, it reminded Tiffany of a kid who just got her Christmas present.

 

It was adorable in Tiffany’s eyes.

 

“But

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter