R8. Royal-tease

What’s Inside Your Head?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Title: R8. Royal-tease

 

Summary: Tiffany is a royal queen and Taeyeon is just a regular working-class employee who struggles on her 9 to 5 job. Having failed in the emotion department, Tiffany would learn how to process her feelings from Taeyeon and Taeyeon would learn from Tiffany that change is not always a bad thing.

 

 

A/N:

Hi, this is nerdcanread.

So the title is just a play word from ‘ROYALTIES’. Because TaeNy are goddamn ROYALTIES fight me to change my mind. ANYWAY...  I’m sorry for writing slowly. My depressed attacks sometimes and I can’t write something fun. Recently, I’ve been attending my therapy again because I had relapses. :( BUT! I’ll get better because I want to. So, I’ll write something fun instead.

 Oooohh, BTW! Taeyeon’s new song is a BOMB, no lie. <3

Enjoy reading and PS. Your requests are cute, keep them coming so I can choose more themes to write next.

-Mi.

 

 

***

 

 

BEGIN.

 

 

‘After the death of the empress, the princess of Monaco was crowned as queen.’ the news on TV was heard over the cafeteria of Taeyeon’s workplace. Taeyeon was slurping her noodles as she watched the new queen of their country being coronated.

 

‘Pale pristine face, elegant and beyond convention beauty.’

 

“She looks too authoritarian for me.” her co-worker Yoona said. She’s Taeyeon’s best friend at work and they usually have their lunch together.

 

Taeyeon observed the beautiful newly crowned queen on TV. The crowned queen lacks emotions on her features, unlike the old empress who was very sympathetic towards the citizens of their country.

 

“No one could ever rule as Empress Hwang did,” Taeyeon stated her opinion.

 

‘What’s your plan for our country now that you’re the queen?’ A reporter asked the queen during the VIP conference on TV.

 

‘I’m going to change everything.’  the newly crowned queen said as she sat on a throne beside her old father.

 

Taeyeon shook her head while she watched. She’s one of those people that hates changes when it happens.

 

‘Oh, God bless our nation.’

 

 

***

 

It was Friday, Taeyeon was so looking forward to their payday because her love letters on her mails AKA her bills are coming on due. She looked at her paycheck and sighed.

 

“ taxes.”

 

“Well, who’s going to raise the country if it’s not taxes, right?” Yoona shrugged.

 

“Will I just work myself to death until the day I die for my bills alone?” Taeyeon packed her stuff and prepared herself to go home but she saw Yoona grinned.

 

“Want to go to karaoke with me?”

 

“I’ll ditch, I have to feed my cat at home.”

 

“Who told you to be a single mom?”

 

“Hachi needs me.”

 

“Geez, you’re no fun.”

 

“See you on Monday, idiot.”

 

***

 

‘Any plans for a husband for a new king?’ Taeyeon’s television was echoing around her house as she was preparing her dinner.

 

“Hachi, come here,” she called her cat and gave her food but Hachi just ignored her food.

 

“You ungrateful, brat.” Taeyeon sighed and just slumped on the sofa. She’s watching the news TV and it’s still the newly crowned queen who was a very hot topic.

 

‘I keep seeing her face everywhere, this is nuts.’

 

‘Our King is still alive, I have no intention to marry.’ everyone gasped.

 

‘How about the royal bloodline? You’re the only heir to the throne!’ A critic pointed out. The King intervened.

 

‘Kindly excuse my daughter Tiffany, she’s not really feeling well.’

 

And the conference ended abruptly just like that.

 

“She’s crazy.” Taeyeon frustratedly turned off her TV and snoozed on the couch.

 

‘Finally, rest time!’

 

 

***

 

 

‘She’s a woman, how could she use the military power against another country?’ A foreigner from the opposition party complained to a reporter.

 

The military presence in their country was felt. Instead of feeling secure, Taeyeon felt threatened. There was a riff between Monaco and a distant country over their claims on an island. Both countries try to dominate each other with power and for the new queen, this is how she uses her power.

 

Every country on the international arena was intimidated by the ruling style of the previous Princess of Monaco. On the news, the queen could be seen doing military exercises with the navy. Her expression was blank as if she felt nothing. As if she’s not afraid of anything.

 

After a few days, the foreigner from the news TV was deported from the country and was never seen again. The people fear the queen and at the same time, she gained their respect. Monaco won the territorial dispute and the queen was tagged as untouchable.

 

For years, the country held the highest economic peak. But as for people like Taeyeon who slave her on corporate work, nothing has changed.

 

Everything in their country was peaceful until the Untouchable Queen of Monaco disappeared. It was an air-crash. Some people believe she’s dead. Some people believe she survived. Some people believe she’s just somewhere.

 

Newspapers on standees written: ‘THE QUEEN IS DEAD!’

 

‘The queen has disappeared and we’re left for no one to lead our nation but the old King. What will happen to the country now?’ The news reporter left an open question on TV.

 

 

Meanwhile for Taeyeon, when the world was in a state of emergency, she’s having the time of her life vacationing alone on a paradise island. Isolated from the city and urban life. Just her, few people and nature.

 

‘Ah, this is a good life.’ Taeyeon yawned and sipped her pina colada as she looked at the sun.

 

After countless of begging her superior, she was finally permitted to have a vacation, more than a month's worth of vacation that made Taeyeon’s heart soar.

 

She started to love that spot in front of the beach.

 

“I want to stay here forever.”

 

 

***

 

The next time she went on the beach, she was very disappointed that someone already occupied it. She sighed and just sat near that spot and stared at the sunset.

 

 “It’s beautiful, isn’t it?”

 

Taeyeon was quite surprised to hear the stranger who stole her favourite spot talked to her.

 

“I… I guess?”

 

“I wish I could stay here forever.” the woman said and she looked at Taeyeon.

 

‘She looks familiar.’ Taeyeon thought.

 

The woman was wearing simple clothing. No makeup, her hair is kind of messy but nice enough. Her shirt was quite torn from the sleeves but she looks decent.

 

‘Is she homeless?’ Taeyeon asked herself.

 

“Are you a local here?” Taeyeon asked cautiously.

 

“No.”

 

“Me neither. So, I suppose you are here for vacation?”

 

The woman looked at the ground and grabbed a handful of sand and let it fall between her fingers.

 

“I’m not sure.”

 

“Uh… I came here alone. If you want to explore the island together, I am up for it. I stay in that orange cottage nearby on unit 3.” Taeyeon suggested but she saw the girl just looked at her so she felt awkward.

 

‘Was that too much?’

 

“Sorry… I just thought… Uhm, I just thought you might need a new friend.” Taeyeon awkwardly explained.

 

“Sure.” the stranger unexpectedly answered and Taeyeon smiled with that.

 

“O-Oh… I’m Taeyeon, what’s yours?” She reached her hand for a handshake.

 

The stranger shook her hand and said, “Miyoung.”

 

 

***

 

It was six in the morning and Taeyeon felt too drunk to wake up early so she groaned when she heard knockings at her door.

 

With a grumpy expression, she opened her door.

 

“What do you want?”

 

“Taeyeon, right? I thought we’ll explore the island together?” 

 

It was Miyoung.

 

‘Oh, . Why did I ever offer that?’ Taeyeon hated her guts.

 

“U-Uhm… right. Did I say that?”

 

Miyoung nodded her head.

 

“Okay, uh… give me five minutes.”

 

And Miyoung was smiling ear to ear.

 

‘She looks pretty.’

 

***

 

“I’m hungry,” Miyoung complained and Taeyeon laughed and she noticed that Miyoung was still wearing the clothes from yesterday.

 

‘Is she really homeless?’

 

“There’s a food stall nearby.”

 

They went to eat at the food stall and Miyoung ate like there’s no tomorrow.

 

“Slow down, girl.” Taeyeon cooed.

 

Miyoung coughed and got red in embarrassment. “I-I’m sorry! I’m just...hungry.”

 

After they ate, an old lady came with the bill. Miyoung was startled.

 

“I...I forgot my purse.”

 

Taeyeon smiled knowing that her hunches were right.

 

“I’ll take it.”

 

 

They went to the beach rock formations and explored the island together the entire day. The two of them sat on the sand to rest while throwing rocks on the waters.

 

“For how long will you stay here?” Taeyeon asked Miyoung and the girl just threw a rock on the waters.

 

“I’m not sure.”

 

“I work as a graphic artist in the city, what do you do?”

 

Miyoung was quiet.

 

Indeed she’s full of mysteries.

 

“Where do you stay?” Taeyeon asked and Miyoung was quite taken aback.

 

“U-Uh…”

 

Taeyeon felt like risking her life for a stranger she just met. Maybe being a good person is kind of troublesome but she chose to be that person anyway.

 

“I have a spare bed in my room. You can come and rest there if you want.”

 

Miyoung shot her a look that looked quite cautious and Taeyeon’s eyes widened.

 

“I-I mean… That’s only if you want it and-”

 

“Okay.”

 

And with that, Taeyeon suddenly had a roommate other than her cat Hachi. She was glad that her friend Yoona agreed to take care of Hachi for her so she can make this trip possible and a bonus is she met a potential friend.

 

When they went back to Taeyeon's unit, Taeyeon leant Miyoung her clothes and after a fresh bath, she spread the extra bed.

 

“So, you can sleep here.” Taeyeon smiled at Miyoung and the girl nodded and laid down.

 

‘She looked exhausted.’

 

Taeyeon was closed to drifting away to sleep until a voice brought her back in consciousness.

 

“Thank you, Taeyeon.”

 

Taeyeon had a nice dream right after.

 

***

 

They continued to hang out together for the past few weeks. Both of them don’t really know much of each other but they enjoyed each other’s peaceful company. They both rode a boat and fed the birds while they were barefoot in the sand.

 

Children from the island started to play with them. Taeyeon could only observe that Miyoung is quite awkward with the kids.

 

“Miyoung, do you want to go fishing?” she suggested.

 

“I don’t know how.” Miyoung hesitated.

 

“I don’t know how either but there’s nothing wrong with trying, right?”

 

So, the two of them went fishing. They waited for hours and still haven't caught a single fish. The sky is looking darker. Taeyeon saw Miyoung already falling asleep until she saw Miyoung’s fishing rod get heavy. She tapped Miyoung’s shoulder abruptly.

 

“Miyoung, you caught a fish!” Taeyeon half screamed and that startled Miyoung.

 

“Fish...Fish? Oh, fish!” Miyoung was surprised and immediately spun her rod and successfully caught a fish that was big enough for the two of them to eat.

 

“YES!” Taeyeon gave her a high-five and Miyoung was shocked but smiled nevertheless.

 

“Let’s cook that bad boy!”

 

Miyoung decided to be productive and cook the fish. While waiting for the fish to be cooked, the two of them decided to have pina colada and chill. Taeyeon was staring at Miyoung and Miyoung couldn’t help but feel a little bit shy.

 

“Why are you staring at me?” she asked and Taeyeon shook her head and grinned.

 

“I always thought you looked familiar, but now I know what you look like.”

 

“Huh?” 

 

“You look like our queen.”

 

Miyoung choked on her pina colada.

 

“But she’s nothing compared to your beauty.”

 

Taeyeon laughed at Miyoung. The girl is terrible at cooking.

 

“I’ll do the grilling,” Taeyeon suggested while looking at the almost burnt fish.

 

“O-Okay.”

 

After a wonderful meal, they looked at the stars and talked too much about little things in life.

 

“When I was a kid, I wanted to be an astronaut,” Taeyeon confessed.

 

“Not a bad idea.” Miyoung drew doodles on the sand.

 

“What do you want to be?” Taeyeon asked.

 

“Nothing,” Miyoung said and Taeyeon bumped her shoulder lightly and chuckled.

 

“There’s always something, come on.”

 

Miyoung contemplated for a while before speaking.

 

“I want to be free.”

 

“Free?”

 

“Free to live, free to choose, free to love,” Miyoung explained and Taeyeon smiled before she held Miyoung’s hands.

 

“You are born free.” Taeyeon sincerely said.

 

And Miyoung teared up a little. Taeyeon didn’t know why but she chose not to pry and just wipe Miyoung’s tears.

 

“It’s okay… I’m here.” she hugged Miyoung to comfort her.

 

“Thank you.”

 

They ended up sleeping on each other’s shoulder because they watched the stars in the sky for hours and it made them tired.

 

‘It’s nice to have someone who can lean on to.’

 

 

***

 

They became friends on the island. How fast can you be comfortable with someone in such a short span of time? They made a silly bet and Taeyeon was too dumb and prideful to agree. One time, Taeyeon almost drowned and Miyoung helped her.

 

“The fastest one to swim and reach that orange flag in the middle of the barrier wins!” Miyoung exclaimed.

 

“And what do we get from this?”

 

Miyoung looked at Taeyeon, “Hmmm… What do you want?”

 

“Maybe you’ll answer all my questions about you and vice versa,” Taeyeon suggested and Miyoung turned quiet.

 

“Are you chickening out now? You can’t swim?” Taeyeon almost choked on her words.

 

‘, I can’t swim.’

 

“Call!” Miyoung agreed.

 

Then they went on their positions.

 

“1,2,3- Go!”

 

Miyoung was a fast swimmer and it amazed Taeyeon.

 

‘Did she take classes?’

 

Taeyeon’s dedication to knowing more about Miyoung kept her up float but suddenly her conscious fear of drowning ruined everything for her before she could touch the orange flag.

 

“I got it!” Miyoung screamed in awe.

 

Then all was blank for her.

 

“Taeyeon?! Taeyeon!” It was Miyoung who brought her back on the shore.

 

CPR!

 

That’s what Taeyeon felt and saw when she opened her eyes before she coughed fits of water.

 

‘Was her lips always this soft?’

 

“I...Are you okay?” Miyoung asked worriedly.

 

Taeyeon suddenly felt a lump on , “I-I am… thank you.”

 

“Y-You’re welcome.”

 

Before both of them looked away from each other because they were both blushing messes. From then on, the two became awkward with each other. 

 

“W-Where do you like to go today?” Taeyeon asked.

 

“I-I...nowhere, I want to rest for today.”

 

“I see... I-I’ll go play with the kids and feed the birds.”

 

“Okay, take care!”

 

 

It took a few weeks until Taeyeon said, 

 

 

“I have to go back to the city next week.”

 

 

“Oh.”

 

The disappointment on Miyoung’s face couldn’t be hidden and Taeyeon felt guilty.

 

“I also want to stay here with you, I had so much fun with you. This is one of the most memorable trips of my life.”

 

 

They both have feelings they can’t fight for each other and they’re both waiting until one of them was brave enough to speak about it.

 

“Maybe you’ll answer all my questions about you and vice versa.”

 

“Remember our bet?” Miyoung asked her. Taeyeon nodded. Miyoung took Taeyeon's hand and placed it on her chest.

 

“You know, my heart beats fast when you’re around, what does it mean?” she asked and Taeyeon smiled.

 

“I’m not sure, but my heart also does that whenever you’re around.”

 

“You’re the freedom I sought, heaven is a place on Earth with you.” Miyoung sincerely poured her out and Taeyeon was more glad to accept.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter