R23. Honest Thoughts

What’s Inside Your Head?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Title: R23. Honest Thoughts

 

Summary: In which, Tiffany tried to convince herself that she wasn’t in love.

 

A/N:

 

Hi there! 

I hope everyone stays healthy and well supported during these times. One-shot for sponsors is almost finish. Slow updates, But will get there.

-KNURD.

 

 

BEGIN.

 

 

“Hey, girlfriend!” a woman in a public library called Tiffany’s attention.

 

Tiffany had to look back.

 

‘Is she talking to me?’

 

She decided to ignore the woman and went back to her research.

 

“Hey there! I know you heard me.” the woman approached her in a friendly manner and Tiffany was beyond confused.

 

“I’m sorry?”

 

“You see, I’ve been looking for this book and I just want to know if you could locate this for me.” the woman showed her the book title ‘How To Make A Nuclear Bomb Successfully’

 

‘Is she mentally challenge?’ Tiffany had to ask herself and looked at the woman in suspicion. ‘She doesn’t look like a terrorist too.’

 

“I’m sorry, I think you should ask the librarian at the counter.”

 

“Oh, I thought you were the librarian! My mistake.” The woman smiled and left. Tiffany looked at her as the woman made her way at the counter. She was skipping happily and humming as if it was a very lovely day.

 

‘Maybe it’s because of my glasses and the way I tied my hair today.’

 

“What an odd person.” Tiffany resumed her research. When she reached Section B, she found the book that the woman from earlier was referring to, but the woman was nowhere to be found.

 

“Maybe she dreamed of working for Elon Musk.” Tiffany chuckled as she held the book on her hands. She decided to borrow it and give it a read.

 

She found some strange number scribbled on a bookmark of the book.

 

‘Xxx-xxx-xxx-609 -K.TY <3’

 

It looks like a phone number but Tiffany just ignored it.

 

‘Who dares to write something on this bookmark?’ she scoffed as she closed the book.

 

A week later, she was convinced that the book was a good read. 

 

‘Maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought.’

 

***

 

“Good grief-” Tiffany heard someone say in dismay as some of the books fell from the shelf. She was back at the library to return the book she borrowed. She saw someone trying to reach the highest deck to get a book and some books laying on the floor. The woman coughed from the dust coming from the book.

 

“Goodness gracious, that was unpleasant.”

 

On the other side, Tiffany stood there in silence with her jaw hung open.

 

“Oh, honey. I didn’t see you there.” the woman greeted her.

 

It was the same woman as before. 

 

Tiffany had many questions. ‘Why is she calling her with endearments?’ and most importantly, ‘Why did the woman didn’t use the ladder beside the shelf?’

 

“Uh, need some hand?” Tiffany asked out of courtesy and the woman grinned.

 

“If you want to hold my hand, you don’t have to ask.”

 

Tiffany frowned. She was about to call out the woman for blatantly flirting but it was also the first time she had a good look at the woman. Tiffany knew it was rude to stare but she couldn’t help. She happened to find this woman extremely attractive. She observed as the latter dusted her clothes off and finally had her attention at Tiffany.

 

“I’m sorry for the mess, I promised to get these books back at their places.” the woman seemed to mistake her again as the librarian.

 

“Oh, I’m not the librarian.” Tiffany clarified the second time.

 

‘I should let my hair down next time and wear my contacts.’ Tiffany made a mental note.

 

“Dear, I must be mistaken. My apologies.” The woman seemed to meet her gaze.

 

“What are you looking for?”

 

“Hmm?” the woman hummed and Tiffany had to wave her hand as she tried to ignore the intense stare from the woman.

 

“Hello?” Tiffany started to be self-conscious. 

 

The woman blinked her eyes seemingly snapping back from whatever daydream she was having.

 

“Ah---Yeah, Excuse me for staring, you’re just such a beauty that I couldn’t help but observe every aspect of your being.” the woman said innocently and Tiffany choked on air and her face felt as if it was on fire.

 

Tiffany’s hand started to fidget. Sharp eyes, skin like snow and jet black hair. Also, those jeans wrapped around her thighs perfectly, Tiffany felt like she’s a goner. 

 

‘Surely, love, at first sight, is a myth’ Tiffany repeated like a mantra inside her head. She listened as the woman continued speaking.

 

 “I’m looking for a book called ‘How To Make A Nuclear Bomb Successfully’“

 

Tiffany remembered the book she just returned.

 

“Oh, I borrowed it last time. The book is at the counter. I just returned it.”

 

Tiffany saw the eyes of the woman widened in surprise.

 

"Have you seen a bookmark?" 

 

"Yes."

 

“And you didn’t text me?!” the woman exclaimed.

 

‘Huh?’

 

Tiffany thought for a while and remembered the numbers scribbled on the bookmark.

 

‘Xxx-xxx-xxx-609 -K.TY <3’

 

‘So, that’s her number, huh.’

 

“I’m sorry. I don’t know what you are talking about.” Tiffany decided to play dumb and the woman’s face was filled with disappointment.

 

“I see.”

 

They heard the bell from a distant cathedral and the woman looked at her watch.

 

“I must leave now.”

 

Unsure of what to say, Tiffany chose silence as she looked at the woman smile at her and walked away. Her strand wasn’t as cheery as she first saw her.

 

‘Why do I feel guilty?’

 

“Uh, hey!” Tiffany suddenly called out. The woman looked back.

 

“Would you like to meet here tomorrow?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I-I mean… If you need some book recommendation I-” she wasn’t finished talking when the woman answered.

 

“Yes!”

 

“O-Okay, I guess, see you tomorrow.”

 

Tiffany convinced herself she’s not falling in love with this woman. She’s just in love with the concept of love at first sight. Or maybe a second sight too. Maybe she just loves the concept of falling in love over books.

 

“Surely, this isn’t love.”

 

***

 

True to her words, Tiffany went to the library to meet the woman. The woman was quite jolly in making recommendations and listening to Tiffany’s recommended books. They were strangers. None of them dared to ask each other’s names, however, Tiffany felt comfortable. Even though she felt awkward silences that usually her fault anyway all throughout their conversation. After their conversation died down, the two women fell silent, simply staring at each other with blushing cheeks. Tiffany noticed how the sunray coming from the window hits the woman’s face.

 

‘It was picture perfect.’

 

“It’s nearly time for afternoon tea, would you like to join me?” the woman asked.

 

“I would l-” Tiffany’s answer was cut off until a third voice joined them. It sounded frantic as it approached them.

 

“Professor Kim! The chemistry lab is on fire!”

 

Seems like the woman was still on a trance, “Hmmm…”

 

“Uh, she said the chemistry lab is on fire,” Tiffany repeated, unsure of what’s happening. Her eyes furrowed in worry.

 

“Right, the chemistry lab is on fire,” the woman repeated, eyes still locked on Tiffany’s face. It took her a few seconds for the words to process, her eyes went wide and she jumped, “Oh god- the lab! What happened, Seo?” she asked.

 

“Hyoyeon has been playing with the chemicals. Again.”

 

“Little rascal…”

 

“Come on! We have to hurry.” Student Seohyun said.

 

“A-About the tea…”

 

“You should go. We can set another time.”

 

“R-Right, let’s go.” She had her last look at Tiffany and rushed out of the library.

 

‘So, she’s a professor…’ Tiffany smiled as she went back to the library counter.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter