Chapter 7

A Matter of Trust

Jun stared up at the sky in silence at his usual spot in the backyard, his headache pretty much gone for today. News from his pack said that something was wrong before communication had cut off, and that had happened a few weeks ago. He was worried of course, but his mind refused to react to it, like somehow he knew that something would end up happening and that nothing could be done about it.

"You're worried too aren't you?" Asked Daewon as he walked over to stand beside Jun. "A bit," Jun said honestly. "But my mind refuses to think about it, so it doesn't seem like I am," he said. "Same goes for me," said Daewon. "I guess they programmed it in our chips or something, but I oddly don't feel anything towards our pack," he said.

"I hope they're fine," said Jun. "But part of me doesn't feel bad if they were killed off," he added. "We've been through so much," said Daewon. "I think them being killed is mercy," he said.

"Part of me wants Jaeho to make it," said Jun. "Because he's our youngest," he said. "He wasn't subjected to what we were going through, at least before I left," said Daewon. "So hopefully he managed to get out," he said.

 

~



Jacob and Kevin showed up a few days later, right on Moonbin's doorstep. "Where the hell is the idiot?" Asked Jacob as Yunhyeong answered the door. "Jun or Moonbin?" Asked Yunhyeong. "Don't test me pup," growled Jacob as Kevin put a hand on his shoulder. "We're here to see Jun," said Kevin.

"Jun!" Yunhyeong called into the house. "You have company!" He called. Jun walked downstairs, feeling the chip reacting to Jacob's anger. "What?" Asked Jun, his eyes narrowing at the headache that suddenly bloomed in the area the chip was located.

Jacob took a deep breath, reeling in the anger as he forced himself to relax. "We need to have a talk," he said. Jun looked at Yunhyeong, who sighed. "Out back," said Yunhyeong. "Keep your conversation low though, Dami is working on the garden right now," he said. "Daewon is out there with her I think," he said. Jun nodded and turned, walking inside with Jacob and Kevin following after him.

"I didn't think you two'd actually show up," said Daewon as Jun walked outside with Kevin and Jacob. "Yeah well, we have things to discuss," said Kevin. "It's okay to talk around the human right?" He asked. "It's fine," said Jun. "She knows about the chips and stuff," he said. "But Yunhyeong advised us not to talk too loudly," he said.

"Eric is on the move," said Kevin. "Of course he is," Jun said with a sigh. "That would explain the recent burning sensation on the scar across my back," he said. "The contract is reacting to him?" Asked Kevin. Jun nodded. "I haven't done anything to warrant a reaction from Eric's side though," he said.

"Um, guys," came Dami's voice. "There's a wolf here," she called, causing Jun and Daewon to turn towards the woods behind the house. "Dami," said Daewon. "Walk back towards me slowly," he said. Dami did what she was told, keeping an eye on the wolf.

Jun walked over towards the wolf, noticing something familiar with it. "Jaeho?" He asked, reaching out towards the wolf as he noticed a collar around Jaeho's neck. He found a waterproof pouch on the collar and opened up the pouch, finding a note. He took it out and started reading it.

 

~



Sangbae had to make the hardest decision that he had ever had to face as he wrote down a goodbye letter for Jun and Daewon. He was lucky that their doctor was on their side, and had deactivated both Jun and Daewon's kill switches. He just hoped that Jaeho would make it to Berlin before his humanity disappeared for good.

"Hyung?" Asked Jaeho as he walked into the room, looking scared at the news that the others had told him. "I'm buying you some time," said Sangbae as he gripped his head when the chip pulsed. "I'm going to get you as close to the country borders as possible," he said. "You must make it to Berlin okay?" He asked, turning and putting both his hands on Jaeho's shoulders.

"B-But," said Jaeho. "This trip is going to be dangerous," said Sangbae. "But luckily they don't know what your wolf form looks like," he said. "So I need you to do this okay?" He asked. "You know what a trip like this would do to me?" Asked Jaeho. "I know," Sangbae said, sighing. "But you can't lose what's left of your humanity, try and hang in there," he said. "I'll get you as close to Russia as I can okay?" He asked. Jaeho nodded.

 

~



"God damn it," said Jun as he fell to his knees in front of Jaeho. "You risked everything to bring me this note?" He asked. "Are you even there anymore pup?" He asked, reaching out to pet Jaeho on the head. Daewon walked over and picked up the note, reading through it quickly.

"They gave us our freedom at the cost of their lives," said Jun as he let his hand fall to the floor. "Is he even there anymore?" Asked Daewon. "No," said Jun as he moved to get up, getting to his feet as the chip started pulsing again.

Kevin had fallen to his knees, feeling immense sadness from Jun as Jacob tried to comfort him. "Take the human inside," said Jun. "This is something she doesn't need to see," he said. "I got it," said Jacob as he walked over to Dami who didn't protest as Jacob led her inside.

"He's your youngest," said Kevin as he wiped his face when tears started falling. "Yes," said Jun as he closed his eyes. "Do you want to do it?" Asked Daewon. "I feel like I have to," said Jun as he took a deep breath, pushing the headache into the back of his mind and trying to ignore it.

Jacob soon returned with Yunhyeong, who had to see what was going on. "He's one of yours?" Asked Yunhyeong as he looked at Jaeho. "He was our youngest," said Jun as he let out a soft sigh. "What are you going to do?" Asked Yunhyeong. "I have to kill him," said Jun.

"When a pure blood's been in wolf form for a long time there's a chance he'll lose what ever humanity he has left," said Daewon. "We had a note attached to his collar and well," he said, sighing. "I see," said Yunhyeong.

"Jacob, take Kevin inside," said Jun as he took a deep breath. "I-I'm fine," said Kevin as he wiped his face with his shirt sleeve.

"Aish," came a new voice as Eric walked into view. "I was wondering why I was feeling so emotional," he said. "Eric," said Jun. "I was going to wait but it seems like this meeting needs to be now," said Eric. "Go wait by Jacob and Kevin," said Jun. "It seems we have free reign to tell at least Yunhyeong," he said. "Tell me what?" Asked Yunhyeong. "Everything," said Jun.

"Since you're mentoring me, technically you're making sure I'm doing my job correctly but," Jun said, shrugging. "I need to do this alone," he said. "Go ahead," said Yunhyeong. "We'll wait here," he said. Jun nodded and walked into the forest with Jaeho following after him.

"Is Chanwoo home?" Asked Daewon. "He knows more about us than you do," he said. "Yeah," said Yunhyeong. "I'll get him outside," he said, going into the house to get Chanwoo.

Eric, Jacob and Kevin winced as they felt more of Jun's emotions. "I can't imagine ever doing that to you," Jacob muttered to Eric. "I don't think anyone wants to do that to the youngest in their pack or team or whatever," said Eric as he looked down at the grass.