Epilogue

A Matter of Trust

Jun stood on the small back deck that overlooked the forest behind the property, a look of concentration on his face as he tested the apparently new ways of communication through the chips, and the contract for that matter.

Jun was trying, and somewhat succeeding, in navigating Daewon and Jacob through the forest back onto their property. Kevin was the tracker between the three brothers, and Jacob, well he at tracking. And that was putting it lightly. Hell, even Eric had come out of the forest like within half an hour of the mission and Daewon and Jacob were currently an hour into it.

"Jesus, remind me to just let Sangyeon do all the tracking when we're stuck with Jacob's side of the pack," said Eric as he shook his head in exasperation. "The forest isn't even that large, is it that hard to navigate?" Asked Jun as he huffed a sigh, breaking concentration and just giving up.

"Can you blame me for going in circles though?" Asked Jacob as he and Daewon finally walked out of the forest two hours later. "You need to learn to just follow instinct," said Daewon as he shook his head.

"Okay, we need to head home," said Eric. "Tell Kevin we said hello," said Daewon. "Will do," said Jacob as he nodded, turning and running back into the forest. Eric shook his head and followed after Jacob.

 

~



"Wow, San decides to show his face for once," said Jun as he sat down in front of said vampire at Moonbin's coffee shop. "I don't always stay in hiding you know," San said, scowling. Jun snorts, the amusement apparent as the corners of his lips twitched upwards in a smirk.

"What brings you to Berlin anyway?" Asked Jun. "Meeting Yunho here," said San. "We're going back home for a bit, and Yeosang doesn't need me for anything right at this moment," he said. "How is he?" Asked Jun. "Fine," said San. "The new team he's in is seemingly getting him out of his shell at least," he said. "Good," said Jun. "No one deserves to be alone after what happened to you two," he said. San hummed in response, leaning back in his chair.

"Also," said Jun as he leaned forward. "I heard that Yunho acquired a... Pet of sorts," he said. San scoffs. "Pet is putting it lightly at this point," he said. "Gunhak is still pissed at him for what he had done," he said.

"Apparently he didn't do anything though," pointed out Jun. "How do you know this?" Asked San. "Because, I was there a few weeks ago when I was visiting my brother," said Jun. "They were deciding on what to do with him, and decided to go with the scar contract," he said. "So they needed Daewon and I's inputs," he said. "Interesting," said San. "I wonder how that's going to work," he hummed.

"Besides," said Jun. "I thought Wontak had killed him years ago," he said. "I don't think so," said San. "Seoho is really good at hiding when he needs to apparently," he said. "Or, Gunmin I guess, is what he's going by now," he said. Jun hummed in response, looking up when the door chimed, and in walked Daewon.

"What's up?" Asked Jun. "Nothing," Daewon said, shaking his head as he walked over and sat beside Jun. "How's the network doing?" Asked Jun. "Same as usual," said Daewon as he turned to Jun. "When's your next mission?" He asked. "Not any time soon," said Jun. "Wontak's giving me a small break while Yunho's busy working things out on his end," he said. "Hyeongjun's about to take on a team I heard so, missions are on hiatus for a bit," he said. "I see," said Daewon.

 

~



Yunho entered the coffee shop with Gunmin behind him along with Dongmyeong and Xion. "Hey Yunho," said San as he stood, freezing in his spot when Gunmin growled. "Oi," said Yunho. "Back off from my brother will you?" He asked, turning to Gunmin who flinched under his gaze. "As I said, back off," he said. Gunmin nodded, looking down at the floor.

"Jesus, you're still trying to work things out huh?" Asked Jun as Yunho walked over and pretty much flopped down in the chair San had occupied. "It's been a long month of dealing with him," Yunho said, sighing as he rubbed his face with his hand. "How's the scar doing?" Asked Jun. "it's healed for the most part, except for the scar of course," said Yunho.

"More missions or are you due to actually head home now?" Asked Jun. "We're heading home," said Yunho. "Hyeongjun's going to be training a new team with Minhee, so Wontak decided to give them the missions, and after discussing it with Dongmyeong, they had agreed for both Minhee and Hyeongjun to take each faction's missions," he said.

"I bet Hongjoong is happy," said Jun. "They all are, even MK got a break for a bit after Kangmin noticed how he was lagging behind," said Yunho. "You two get to be home for a bit too," he said, turning to Dongmyeong and Xion. "Yeah," said Dongmyeong as he brought over a chair and sat down.

"Also San," said Jun as he turned to San. "Whose idea was it to dye your hair that shade of red?" He asked. "I lost a bet," San said, scratching the back of his head. "It's fine though, because Yeosang's hair is black again," he said. "Same with me," said Yunho. "Besides, it looks good on you," he said. "Oh shut up," said San as he scoffed, the corners of his lips going up in a smirk at the compliment.

"How's Seonghwa doing?" Asked San as he looked at Daewon. "Fine," hummed Daewon. "Last I heard he and Hangyul were working things out anyway," he said. "Still huh?" Asked San. "He's not used to being in one place for long periods of time apparently," said Daewon. "Of course, the 4 of us had information networks to check up on," said San.

"So," said Jun. "What'd you exchange with him to make it work?" He asked. "I took his voice, he gained my nightmares," said Yunho. "Well, other than the usual things," he added. "He seems to think he's become my protector," he said. "Believe me, Eric, Jacob and Kevin had been the same way for a year before returning to their pack," said Jun.

"But why his voice?" Asked Daewon. "It seemed appropriate," said Yunho. "Gunmin was the one who suggested it anyway," he said. "It tests how we communicate," he said. "And me giving him my nightmares in return are helping me sleep," he said. "That's good," said Jun.

 

~



"I'd hate to interrupt," said Moonbin as he walked over, bringing over everyone's coffees with Jeongwoo who had learned to balance the trays as he set them down on the table. "Your information network is proving useful," he said, handing Daewon an envelope. "Your doctor sent this, courtesy of Eunki," he said. Daewon looked at the envelope, excusing himself as he stood, going to a quiet corner of the coffee shop to read it on his own. Jun fiddled with something on his phone as he felt the chip reacting to whatever Daewon was reading.

"Where is that twerp anyway?" Asked San. "He owes Yeosang some information," he said. "I believe he went to meet up with Yeosang, but I don't know where he is," said Moonbin. "Last I heard Yeosang was visiting Poland with Mingi," said San. "So he probably went there," he said.

"Well," said Yunho as he stood, downing his coffee in one gulp before cringing at the hot liquid. "We need to go," he said. "San did you hunt?" He asked. "I hunted before I got to Berlin, I'll be fine," said San. "You coming back with us?" Asked Yunho as he turned to Xion, who had been quietly observing the conversation, and Dongmyeong, who had his eyes closed but they knew better than to assume he was asleep. "Yeah, might as well," said Dongmyeong as he opened his eyes, shrugging as he got up, Xion following suit. "Have a safe trip home," said Jun. "Will do," said Yunho as he nodded before leaving with Gunmin, San, Dongmyeong and Xion.

 

~



Jun huffed out a sigh as Daewon soon rejoined him after reading the letter. "Were you able to understand anything?" Asked Daewon. "No," said Jun. "Still can't communicate yet it seems," he said. "Maybe it's more of a mental connection more than anything," said Daewon. "Like what you have with the three brothers," he said. "I guess," hummed Jun.

"What'd the letter say?" Asked Jun. "Nothing big," said Daewon. "Just the doctor updating us on how Sangbae is doing," he said. "How is he?" Asked Jun. "He's doing better," said Daewon. "That's good," said Jun. "Hopefully he doesn't get sent after us," he said. "He won't," said Daewon. "The doctor has put a stop to that," he said. "As long as he continues what he's doing, Sangbae is left to be his body guard, and we're free to do whatever as long as we don't spill government secrets," he said. "To the other governments I mean," he added. Jun hummed in response.

 

~



Jun looked at the airport terminal in front of him, a slight hesitation in his step as he gripped onto the backpack strap that was over his shoulder. Missions had finally come for him, and he felt oddly not ready for them. Daewon had left the week before, checking up on things within their information network, and Yunhyeong had only wished Jun luck. A weird feeling settled in his chest, and he figured it was just the feeling of longing that Jinhwan had not so subtly complained about ever since Daewon left. Jun shook his head and headed inside the airport.

"You didn't think I'd let you go without saying goodbye huh?" Asked Yunhyeong as he stood in front of Jun before he headed off to the security check in. "I had a feeling you would," Jun said with a shake of his head, the relief evident in the way his tense shoulders slumped. Yunhyeong put a hand on Jun's shoulders before bringing him into a hug. Jun was surprised, but returned the hug.

"You'll do fine," said Yunhyeong. "Just treat this like any other mission back home," he said, moving away. "Keep in touch will you? And tell Chan we said hello," he said. The corners of Jun's lips turned up in a small smile before he nodded, quickly dropping the smile as soon as a headache started. Damn those headaches, he really needed to work on that.

"Thank you, for at least seeing me go," said Jun before he turned and headed through the security section. Yunhyeong had watched him go for a bit, waiting until he was out of sight before leaving, heading back to the coffee shop for his shift.